Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476103 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2006, 01:26:32 am »
Ennis's whole face brightens up along with that twitch, from about 3% expressiveness to 9% expressiveness, which is a whole lot on the Ennis expressive-o-meter for any emotion other than anger.

Exactly. And then, a second later, he goes from  :) to  :-\.

I love the "course he hates my guts" look, too. And also the "Nope, too busted up. Rodeo ain't what it was in my daddy's day" and then Ennis shakes his head and agrees, "No." How would he know? But it's a cute sort of bonding line.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2006, 06:40:29 am »
...I love the way that Ennis strokes Jack's collar in the flashback scene. Such a loving gesture.

Me too. And especially, the way Ennis's thumb seems to 'struggle' at first to keep Jack's collar down.
What is it with Ennis and his thumb anyway? Did you notice his thumb seemed to be 'stuck' in Jack's eye just for a second as he was stroking Jack's face in the second tent scene? One of the many subtle things that make the scene so realistic, and Ennis so endearing.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #222 on: June 15, 2006, 09:02:07 am »
Did you notice his thumb seemed to be 'stuck' in Jack's eye just for a second as he was stroking Jack's face in the second tent scene? One of the many subtle things that make the scene so realistic, and Ennis so endearing.

I did notice this, and you're absolutely right. The look on his face is a physicalisation of the close proximity of pleasure and pain. He can hardly belive he's doing this, and at the same time he's so overwhelmed he can't decide which part of Jack he wants to touch first. The speed at which his hand passes over Jack's face and chest is like he's almost afraid to linger in any one place too long. Like his words, the emotions are fighting their way out of him. So when Jack rolls on top of him he can't put his arms around him, but can only leave them in a position of submission - "Please Jack, you've gotta take the reins on this one!".

I think everything about that little scene of them riding next to each other is meant to convey the idea that they're in harmony at this stage and things are at a relatively smooth moment in their relationship (the color of the sky, the smooth way the sheep are all moving together... and especially Ennis's smile and adoring look at Jack, all make the scene feel really peaceful to me).

Totally agree Amanda (did I get your name right?? :-\). And i think the way that Jack is slumped on the horse is important too. I think in practically all the other scenes when Jack is on the horse he's performing for Ennis, trying to prove his horsemanship to impress him. But here he's completely relaxed - nothing left to prove.

Another bit i really like is Jack's little nods as Ennis tells him of his plans to marry Alma after they've come off the mountain. Breaks my heart every time. Such a look of desperate resignation on his face  :'(
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2006, 09:22:41 am »
The look on his face is a physicalisation of the close proximity of pleasure and pain. He can hardly belive he's doing this, and at the same time he's so overwhelmed he can't decide which part of Jack he wants to touch first. The speed at which his hand passes over Jack's face and chest is like he's almost afraid to linger in any one place too long.

Good description, saucy. To me, the expression is kind of like Jack's in the reunion kiss. Like, this is so unbelievably great, it's almost painful. Ennis is in a situation he'd probably longed for on and off throughout his life, subliminally or otherwise, when he saw attractive men. But he never for a second thought he'd be allowed to experience it. And here it is happening, under ideal circumstances, with someone he's not only attracted to but actually in love with, and who feels the same way about him. How perfect is that?

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2006, 09:29:41 am »
And Jack, sensing that Ennis is uncomfortable in Riverton suggests he move to Texas.   

Poor Jack, always getting shot down.
   :'(

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2006, 09:33:03 am »
And Jack, sensing that Ennis is uncomfortable in Riverton suggests he move to Texas.  

Poor Jack, always getting shot down.

Poor Jack indeed. Emotionally he's so brave - constantly putting himself on the line for Ennis  :'(

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2006, 09:36:29 am »
oh!  and as Jack walks over to the stream where Ennis is washing the pots and pans, you notice that Jack has a small belly starting to show!     Ah yes, the middle age slump!    He he he!  Nice touch Ang!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2006, 09:47:19 am »
I love the Ennis express-o-meter! Had to LOL at that one. Part of the reason I enjoyed watching Casanova was seeing Heath's face unfrozen. I have to disagree with everybody about Ennis's stroking Jack's jacket being a lovable detail. Every time I see Ennis stroking or clinging to Jack's clothing, I start gnashing my teeth because it's the man who he should be touching, not the clothing! In making that crucial mistake, look what he gets in the end, an empty life and a closet with Jack's shirt in it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2006, 10:00:41 am »
I have to disagree with everybody about Ennis's stroking Jack's jacket being a lovable detail. Every time I see Ennis stroking or clinging to Jack's clothing, I start gnashing my teeth because it's the man who he should be touching, not the clothing! In making that crucial mistake, look what he gets in the end, an empty life and a closet with Jack's shirt in it.

Interesting, Lee! It's like a deliberate theme. There are those few times early on when you see him touching actual skin, and then never again. From then on it's clothes and, eventually, empty clothes.

Of course, in "real life," Ennis and Jack probably touched skin pretty often throughout the years, but this seems like another one of those maddening tricks Ang uses to make the viewers feel their frustration.

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2006, 10:20:26 am »
It's like a deliberate theme. There are those few times early on when you see him touching actual skin, and then never again. From then on it's clothes and, eventually, empty clothes.

Wow, interesting angle. No wonder we're all rewatching it so often. People keep coming up with new things to look for!