Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 479109 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #520 on: February 24, 2009, 01:36:03 pm »
Expanding your list (new items bolded):

Pair a deuces
neither of them was 20
42 sheep
43 miles
$24 in a coffee can
40 winks
coming thru on the 24th
Four f'in years
2 girls
8 months old
17 (on the mailbox)
19 (can do what you want)
One's enough (postcard from L.Higgin's shop)

We have talked about the twos, the 8 and the 17. Lots and lots of twos on the short story.
About the 17 (recapitulating from back then): the 17 on the mailbox, 17 letters in Brokeback Mountain, 17 mountain ranges listed by Proulx in the short stoy.
The 8: uh, it's so long ago. They miss August twice, the eighth month. There was more to the eight, but I don't remember right now.

But we never found (searched for?) an overall pattern of all the numbers.
There are definitively a lot of numbers, especially measured by the short length of the story.

And you're right: the four shows up very often.

I would add the number 3 to the list.  As in "3 hours to cook...".  I'm forgetting all the instances of the number 3, but I recall early on at imdb there was a whole thread (kind of comical) about the number 3.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #521 on: February 24, 2009, 07:00:10 pm »
I would add the number 3 to the list.  As in "3 hours to cook...".  I'm forgetting all the instances of the number 3, but I recall early on at imdb there was a whole thread (kind of comical) about the number 3.

That was a thread I started, Amanda.  I'd been thinking about it when the discussion of numbers came up.  Although "three" is rarely spoken in the dialogue, there are an amazing number of threes in the book and movie.  Here's the link over in the IMDb Rewound forum:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10834.0.html

:)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #522 on: February 24, 2009, 08:00:32 pm »
That was a thread I started, Amanda.  I'd been thinking about it when the discussion of numbers came up.  Although "three" is rarely spoken in the dialogue, there are an amazing number of threes in the book and movie.  Here's the link over in the IMDb Rewound forum:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10834.0.html

:D :D :D
Very cool High Priestess!  Clearly that thread made an impression on me, but I confess I'd forgotten that you were the thread starter... so that certainly is neat!    And, I'm also happy to learn that it's archived here.

I love that so many important imdb threads have been preserved. :)

Offline nagsheadsea412

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #523 on: February 26, 2009, 05:57:16 am »
i love the way jack can express anything with those large blue eyes...and it seems more extreme on the big screen...and when those eyes are focused on Ennis, they're so sensitive and profound...not to mention, of course, sensual....

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #524 on: February 27, 2009, 12:02:34 pm »
Have we ever analyzed all the mentions of numbers to see if there's some pattern?

Pair a deuces
42 sheep
43 miles
$24 in a coffee can
40 winks
Four f'in years
17 (on the mailbox)

Expanding your list (new items bolded):

Pair a deuces
neither of them was 20
42 sheep
43 miles
$24 in a coffee can
40 winks
coming thru on the 24th
Four f'in years
2 girls
8 months old
17 (on the mailbox)
One's enough (postcard from L.Higgin's shop)

This is OT I know, but has anybody else here used "Brokeback" lottery numbers? 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #525 on: February 27, 2009, 01:04:32 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's a good suggestion Bud!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #526 on: February 28, 2009, 10:26:36 am »
It seems there are many references including the numbers in the 40's .I wonder if it is a deliberate link to the fact that Jack never made his 40th birthday, as in " he was only 39 years old" when he died, as said by Lureen on the phone to Ennis.

That however may be a leap too far but I always felt it was very poignant.In that he never reached the big 40 as it is often referred to.

Probably the 2 most cataclysmic events in Jack's life, one good, one horrendous, occurred in the last year of a decade.He met and fell in love with Ennis when he was 19 and he dies when he is 39. Yet separating those 2 odd numbers is 20 the number of years he knew Ennis. A very even number and in sharp contrast to the 19 and 39.

The 19,as in  the age of Alma junior when she tells Ennis she is getting married, surely has to be  reference to both Jack and Ennis.They were both 19 when they met, and Ennis had the opportunity to grab  what hopefully Alma is going to. A happy life with the one they love.He blew it so we hope in direct contrast Alma will grab it with both hands and run.

It is very poignant that Ennis asks if Kurt loves her, not the other way round.

Jack loved Ennis and he now knows it, in the same way he can finally accept that he loved Jack. The contrast is stark.The melancholy of Ennis all the more apparant.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #527 on: February 28, 2009, 03:50:35 pm »

yes, I did, and won a tiny amount on the Texas Lottery. the numbers that interested me were:

24 - as in $24 in a coffee can
8 - as in 8 seconds
42 - as in 42 sheep
1000 - as in 1000 sheep
12 - as in noon at the bridge
14 - as in snow on Aug 14th, 14 hours of driving

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #528 on: May 01, 2009, 09:13:03 am »
I find it very lovable that Ennis asks Jack if he's got a blanket on the night before the first tent scene. Ennis had started out being the camp tender and he would have known darn well where the blankets were kept but instead he asked Jack meekly for a blanket. In his drunkenness, he became almost like a baby and was inclined to follow Jack's orders later that night when he told him to get in the tent.  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #529 on: May 01, 2009, 06:41:59 pm »
I love seeing Ennis season the food he is cooking as if it was fine dining, and maybe it was. It seems such a l;oving thing to do.

I love the fact that I am still here discussing the movie, right down to subtle details. Ilove the fact that I see only Ennis and not Heath.