Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476111 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2006, 02:30:08 am »
So, I have another random question that will reveal my ignorance regarding sheep herding culture.  Why and how were there Chilean sheep in Wyoming?  Chili is a long, long way away from Wyoming.  I mean, I love that detail in the story/ film but I've never quite understood it.

I always assumed that the sheep itself were not Chilean. They were only so-called, because they were tended (not owned) by Chilean herders.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #241 on: June 28, 2006, 09:13:51 pm »
I always assumed that the sheep itself were not Chilean. They were only so-called, because they were tended (not owned) by Chilean herders.

Oh, sure!  That definitely makes sense.  I, for some reason, had been thinking it was a breed of sheep or something.  I know next to nothing about sheep and sheep herding.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #242 on: June 28, 2006, 09:29:27 pm »
Theres a scene that always makes me have a bit of a giggle....

When Ennis gets thrown from the horse when the bear scares him and is late getting back to the camp, and jack says.."Where the hell you been, I been out watching the sheep all day, and come back down, and theres no dinner for me"...(or something similar to those words)......It reminds me of a husband coming home from work, and saying to the wife "what the hell you been doin all day, and you havent even made me dinner"

Dont know if that dialgogue, was meant to look like a "husband and wife" scenario, but it did to me......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2006, 09:41:58 pm »
Hi Katie!
Welcome to BetterMost. Have a cup of coffee and a piece of cherry cake.
 :)

Oh sure, I completely agree with you about Jack's tone of voice after the bear incident.  It does sound like the voice of a nagging (but loving and concerned) significant other. I think a lot about the Brokeback summer is about showing how they developed their own version of a domestic partnership.  Completely on their own terms, and it evolved to suit both of them beautifully (until they were broken apart too soon by Aguirre cutting the summer short).  I think this is why Jack's proposal later about ranching up together and the cow and calf operation makes so much sense.  The both know they were happiest (ever) when they were living together... and that was in '63.  I think Ennis even recognizes this (even as he's rejecting Jack's idea), but he's too afraid to give it a shot.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David

« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2006, 10:11:27 pm »

The both know they were happiest (ever) when they were living together... and that was in '63.  I think Ennis even recognizes this (even as he's rejecting Jack's idea), but he's too afraid to give it a shot.

Oh Ennis definately knows this.   In the book he tells Jack "It took me a year to figure out I shouldn't have let you out of my sights".    (They should have put that line in the movie)  So when Jack suggests they get a little cow and calf operation, Ennis knows that Jack was the best thing for him and their days on Brokeback were paradise. 

But even if Jack lived in Riverton instead of Texas, what would that have changed?    Would Ennis have not Married Alma?   No, he did that right away after leaving the Mountain.    So a year after marrying her, he'd be sneeking across town to see Jack.  But he'd still not want to get divorced and live with Jack.     Maybe he'd see more of Jack and his marriage would disintigrate faster.   Either way, there isn't a happy ending for the boys any time soon in that scenario either.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2006, 11:01:32 pm »
Theres a scene that always makes me have a bit of a giggle....

When Ennis gets thrown from the horse when the bear scares him and is late getting back to the camp, and jack says.."Where the hell you been, I been out watching the sheep all day, and come back down, and theres no dinner for me"...(or something similar to those words)......It reminds me of a husband coming home from work, and saying to the wife "what the hell you been doin all day, and you havent even made me dinner"

Dont know if that dialgogue, was meant to look like a "husband and wife" scenario, but it did to me......
In the screenplay Jack is clearly worried, know Ennis would not slack,  covers is concern with indignation.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:16:10 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #246 on: July 01, 2006, 10:44:00 pm »

bump for later reading...

I love this thread..  :D
Chut up!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #247 on: July 02, 2006, 12:05:31 am »
Hi Katie!
Welcome to BetterMost. Have a cup of coffee and a piece of cherry cake.
 :)

Oh sure, I completely agree with you about Jack's tone of voice after the bear incident.  It does sound like the voice of a nagging (but loving and concerned) significant other. I think a lot about the Brokeback summer is about showing how they developed their own version of a domestic partnership.  Completely on their own terms, and it evolved to suit both of them beautifully (until they were broken apart too soon by Aguirre cutting the summer short).  I think this is why Jack's proposal later about ranching up together and the cow and calf operation makes so much sense.  The both know they were happiest (ever) when they were living together... and that was in '63.  I think Ennis even recognizes this (even as he's rejecting Jack's idea), but he's too afraid to give it a shot.

You certainly got the right word there anz.."domestic partnership"...I never thought of that before even though i know that is what I was seeing, and that is why that scene seemed humourous.....yes, they wer getting so comfortable with the situation werent they, the chores and the lovin.....and then Aguires news to bring the sheep down, was the end of the comfort zone, and that is why Ennis got angry/sad.....it also destroyed the comfort zone, we  as the viewer had too, we were just settling in to enjoying their life up on the mountain, when BAM!!, it was taken away from us too...Damn you Aguire.....damn you.......who knows, another month or so up there on the mountain, and Ennis may have realized that this was the life he wanted, and not gone home to marry Alma......who knows???
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

moremojo

« Reply #248 on: July 05, 2006, 10:37:22 am »
I don't know if this might have been mentioned here already, but last night I was revisiting the DVD, and noticed something (well, a couple or even three things really) for the first time. First of all, in the scene right before Jack's harmonica-playing moment in front of the tent, we see the boys in long shot, with Jack carrying a large piece of wood (driftwood?) on his back. I can't believe it didn't register till this late, but I noticed for the first time that Ennis goes up and pats Jack on the shoulder here. This further emphasizes Ennis's growing comfort and affection for his mountain companion.

Second thing: This news is currently making the rounds, and I just confirmed it for myself last night. The new tidbit of information is that Jack, in the first tent scene, can be heard to mutter "Fuck me" two or so times right after Ennis enters him. The words are spoken so softly as to barely register, but once heard, they are definitely present. The camera even rests on Jack's (actor Jake's) face as he utters these lines. When I first heard this news, the words somehow didn't seem right for the character in this moment, but they felt completely true and appropriate when I actually heard them. This further suggests Jack's worldliness (relative to Ennis), experience, and lust.

Third item: A friend of mine asked me to watch for a detail in the scene in which Jack returns to Signal in 1964. When we see Jack driving his truck down the road, on the sidewalk one can discern two old men (one handling a cane) walking together, going in the direction opposite from the one in which Jack is heading. My friend thought that this might illustrate the life that Ennis and Jack could have had in different circumstances, of growing old together, as lifelong companions. As I don't think any element in the film is throwaway, I certainly think my friend might be onto something here.

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2006, 05:16:51 pm »
I don't know if this might have been mentioned here already, but last night I was revisiting the DVD, and noticed something (well, a couple or even three things really) for the first time. First of all, in the scene right before Jack's harmonica-playing moment in front of the tent, we see the boys in long shot, with Jack carrying a large piece of wood (driftwood?) on his back. I can't believe it didn't register till this late, but I noticed for the first time that Ennis goes up and pats Jack on the shoulder here. This further emphasizes Ennis's growing comfort and affection for his mountain companion.

Oh my, I'm having so many spooky moments on the board this week! :o I also watched BBM last night (for the first time in 6 weeks) and noticed the exact same thing... and I'd never noticed it before either. I had to rewind and watch it again. It's a lovely moment.

Hmmmm... you know the theory that when people live together for long enough their biological rhythms become synchronised? I reckon there are more than a few instances of synchronised viewing rhythms on this board! ;D
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!