Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476397 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2006, 02:15:35 am »

Second thing: This news is currently making the rounds, and I just confirmed it for myself last night. The new tidbit of information is that Jack, in the first tent scene, can be heard to mutter "Fuck me" two or so times right after Ennis enters him. The words are spoken so softly as to barely register, but once heard, they are definitely present. The camera even rests on Jack's (actor Jake's) face as he utters these lines. When I first heard this news, the words somehow didn't seem right for the character in this moment, but they felt completely true and appropriate when I actually heard them. This further suggests Jack's worldliness (relative to Ennis), experience, and lust.

[/quoteI
 I FINALLY HEARD IT BUT ONLY ONCE SO FAR
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 09:49:05 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2006, 09:21:55 am »
OMG!   I thought it was my overactive imagination!    I'm glad someone else heard him say that!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #272 on: July 14, 2006, 09:56:31 am »
So, here's a question.  What's your favorite subtle detail amongst all the lovable subtle details?  I'm sure this may be an impossible question for some of you... and I thought it would be for me too.  But, the more I think about it the more I realize that the way the wheel on Jack's truck spins out at the very beginning in front of Aguirre's trailer truly is my favorite detail.  I remember loving that detail from my very first theatre viewing of the film.  Who knew that a truck could have personality?!  And they say that pets come to resemble their owners after a good number of years together... well maybe the same is true with old truck.
 ;)
Here is one I saw brought up on IMB. When Ennis is leaving the Twist's at LF when he looks back at the farmhouse you see the name Jack spelled out. The way I see it in the full screen version is. J-the dark part of the first cloud. A- the frame of the house. C-second cloud. K-tree to the right. The poster said the J came from the windshield of the truck, but if they mean the front it doen't show in the full screen- and I can't make a J out of the back window without subtracting.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 10:00:06 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2006, 01:51:40 pm »
One of my favorites is how the scene is held on the mountian with the sheep in the "you know I aint queer...." The way Ennis and Jack remain sitting together close, are enjoying their new bond, but hardly have words for it.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #274 on: July 15, 2006, 11:28:09 am »
Returning briefly to the topic of the "evaporated milk and honey" ad on the newspaper where Alma hides Jack's postcard (when she comes in with the grocery bag)...  It just occured to me that when Ennis goes to pick up the supplies from the Basque on Brokeback he complains that they didn't get "the powdered milk and the spuds..."  So, the evaporated milk idea makes two appearances in the film.  I like that both times the idea of "groceries" is involved.  The version of "groceries" on the mountain is certainly different than in Riverton.  hmmm.... 
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #275 on: July 16, 2006, 06:40:55 pm »
Amanda I also noticed that that circular was advertising Buddig Meats. Ennis called Jack "bud."

Here's another thing I just noticed. At the very beginning, Jack starts to walk over toward Ennis outside the trailer but stops. He has his hands on his hips, fingers spread apart. Ennis has his hands and arms in a similar position, but with his hands inside his pockets. Typical for those two guys.  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #276 on: July 18, 2006, 01:03:26 pm »
Another one. Alma Jr. tugging on Alma Sr.'s arm and saying intensely, "Mama, I need crayons" just when Alma and Ennis are having a stare-down in the grocery store.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #277 on: July 18, 2006, 10:01:44 pm »
I know, the crayon detail is adorable!  It's just the random kind of thing a kid would say too.  A very nice touch of realism.  But, I also love that she doesn't "want" crayons... she "needs" crayons.  That cracks me up.
 :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #278 on: July 19, 2006, 10:03:57 am »
Doesn't she have intensely blue eyes in that scene, just like Jack??

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #279 on: July 19, 2006, 09:29:34 pm »
Doesn't she have intensely blue eyes in that scene, just like Jack??

Why, yes, I believe she does.

Thinking of the grocery scene... It's interesting to see how a easily Ennis is able to make his way through the aisles (and even politely skirting the guy shopping with a basket in his arms).  This is a great moment to contrast his little evasion of Alma's later suggestion about the electric company job.  The "clumsy as I am remark" seems to be contradicted in many scenes in the movie... this being a key one I'd think.