Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476157 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #280 on: July 20, 2006, 01:41:23 am »
The "clumsy as I am remark" seems to be contradicted in many scenes in the movie... this being a key one I'd think.

I've thought that too.  If we HAVE to name favorite lovable details, mine ain't very subtle - it's probably the moment on the stairs when they pull apart from the kiss and Ennis is heaving and looking around.  ThierryHenryPie once said that it seems like his shirt should have somehow been inside out at that point after the kissing.  I love that.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #281 on: July 20, 2006, 09:46:32 am »
LOL!  Yes all sorts of little details about the reunion are way up there on my list of favorite details.  About Ennis's shirt here... I love, love, love that as Jack is tugging on it one of Ennis's buttons pops open.  It took me something like 20 viewings before I even noticed it.  So, apparently, not only did Ennis have to do a lot of shirt-tucking and looking around before heading back upstairs... he must also have had to re-button that button because it appears to be buttoned when he enters the apartment.  And, by the way... I'll mention this again... I love that he wipes his mouth as he enters the apartment door.  The final touch in putting himself back together before talking to Alma.

:-*
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #282 on: July 20, 2006, 10:28:20 am »
Its the hands.....jack's hands on Ennis's face, as they kiss.....long fingers....beautiful hands.........
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #283 on: July 20, 2006, 03:21:33 pm »
They both have beautiful hands, don't they Katie! And I like the hands on the face or back of head or neck, so different than the way men and women kiss, with men just using the kiss as an excuse to get at the woman's body!!

Is it hot in here? Oh, yes, what I originally came here to talk about are the little things on Jack's dresser that we see when Ennis goes into his closet. There's a little covered wagon and a pair of bronzed baby shoes. They are so touching and those things actually remind me of Ennis. The covered wagon because four-footed animals and four-wheeled vehicles that crawl upon the earth always remind me of Ennis, and the shoes for the same reason--rooted to the earth. There is one other thing on the bureau but I can't remember what it is. Can anybody help me out?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #284 on: July 20, 2006, 03:29:38 pm »
They both have beautiful hands, don't they Katie! And I like the hands on the face or back of head or neck, so different than the way men and women kiss, with men just using the kiss as an excuse to get at the woman's body!!

Is it hot in here? Oh, yes, what I originally came here to talk about are the little things on Jack's dresser that we see when Ennis goes into his closet. There's a little covered wagon and a pair of bronzed baby shoes. They are so touching and those things actually remind me of Ennis. The covered wagon because four-footed animals and four-wheeled vehicles that crawl upon the earth always remind me of Ennis, and the shoes for the same reason--rooted to the earth. There is one other thing on the bureau but I can't remember what it is. Can anybody help me out?
The stop clock, at a quarter to nine.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #285 on: July 20, 2006, 06:07:35 pm »
Interesting--thank you!! That would mean that the two hands of the clock are almost together. Sad and fitting.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #286 on: July 20, 2006, 06:23:08 pm »
I love, love, love that as Jack is tugging on it one of Ennis's buttons pops open.

For real??  I can't wait to go see that.  Nice to know I don't really have the whole thing memorized.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #287 on: July 20, 2006, 09:54:17 pm »
For real??  I can't wait to go see that.  Nice to know I don't really have the whole thing memorized.

Yes, absolutely for real!  I just watched the movie (yay!) and came directly to the computer.  As is often my habit.  Anyway, and I was focusing on that button during the reunion.  I highly recommend watching for that button.  Adorable.  I wonder if the button action was a "happy accident" that the filmmakers rejoiced over.

Here's my favorite detail for the evening (buttons aside)... the wink that Ennis gives Jack during the prayer of thanks camping trip.  He does this right after Jack asks "for what?"  and Ennis gives the teasing answer about forgetting the harmonica.  It's a nice little bit of affection for Jack... sort of like a tiny, tiny declaration of what Ennis really means.  Jack's big smile after this is wonderful.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #288 on: July 20, 2006, 10:35:30 pm »

Here's my favorite detail for the evening (buttons aside)... the wink that Ennis gives Jack during the prayer of thanks camping trip.  He does this right after Jack asks "for what?"  and Ennis gives the teasing answer about forgetting the harmonica.  It's a nice little bit of affection for Jack... sort of like a tiny, tiny declaration of what Ennis really means.  Jack's big smile after this is wonderful.

Yes that wink,...oh that wink....is beautiful.....shows affection....shows how comfortable he is with Jack...shows a sense of humour....shows rememberance of a past happening between the two of them....shows he loves being in that place in that time with that man......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #289 on: July 20, 2006, 10:58:51 pm »
Yes that wink,...oh that wink....is beautiful.....shows affection....shows how comfortable he is with Jack...shows a sense of humour....shows rememberance of a past happening between the two of them....shows he loves being in that place in that time with that man......
Almost looks like Jack returns the wink. He most definitly aknowleges it.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.