Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476048 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #580 on: July 18, 2011, 12:21:03 am »
I believe this is it:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1994.0/all.html

Thanks, Lee!  It's good to read that again.  I also put back two photos that had disappeared along with my old image host.   8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #581 on: July 18, 2011, 06:00:33 am »
Yay, great you found it, Lee. :)
And Amanda remembered right, it was indeed Meryl.

When Amanda talked about Jack's lamb coat being significant, I thought of this immediately:

"Whadya mean? My jacket being sgnificant? How's that?"*

Seriously, somehow I had either forgotten, or never noticed, that Jack had two very similar lambswool jackets. The color is different, but the jackets are almost identical, especially the collars. The real collars, of course *g*

*Photo manip by Jimmy(gnash), and thanks to Chuckie for sending the pic to me. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #582 on: November 24, 2011, 11:23:13 am »
I think Jack was protective of Ennis too.  Until their final meeting, Jack never tells Ennis about Mexico though he's being going for years, nor does he tell him about his rancher "friend" down in Texas. He knows both those things would devastate Ennis and wants to protect him.  I think the short leash comment refers to how Ennis gives just enough of himself, time, sex, affection to keep Jack hoping and coming back for more and Jack realizes it.

I'm reminded of a line in a song -  "that's just the price you pay for the chains you refuse". Sometimes people refuse comittment or offers of love because they don't want to be tied down or are afraid, etc, thinking another option is preferable. And in the end, they still pay a price. Sometimes even a bigger price as in the case of Ennis. Every choice has consequences.

I still wonder why Jack complains that Ennis keeps him "on a short leash". Isn't that what he wanted, to be tied to Ennis and close to him?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #583 on: November 24, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »
I still wonder why Jack complains that Ennis keeps him "on a short leash". Isn't that what he wanted, to be tied to Ennis and close to him?

I think at that point, he's frustrated. He wants to be tied to Ennis and close to him, but he has also grown to see they'll probably never achieve the sweet life. So failing that he'd like to branch out a little. But Ennis doesn't allow it -- either literally, because he disapproves of things like Mexico, or emotionally, because Jack can't quite commit to someone else while still holding out slim hopes for things working out with Ennis.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #584 on: December 01, 2011, 09:38:54 am »
 Being on a leash to me implies being controlled by someone in an unpleasant way. Where their will overrides yours - or where the don't consider your desires a priority. Unless there's an implication of kinky fun (which there clearly isn't here)... I don't think it's a good thing or meant to imply a healthy, close relationship (which Jack really does want).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #585 on: December 01, 2011, 02:33:20 pm »
I think the image of the leash also interconnects with the "reins" Ennis mentions when, at the end of their first reunion, he says "ain't no reins on this one". Paradoxically, however, it is Ennis who is always applying the "reins" either emotionally within himself or through his fears of how society will view them. This "reining in" he also extends to Jack through the "short leash" he keeps him on.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:35:23 pm by chowhound »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #586 on: December 01, 2011, 08:24:24 pm »
 Yes, I agree. Makes a lot of sense to me.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #587 on: December 01, 2011, 09:53:57 pm »
You hit the proverbial nail on the head, chowhound!!  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline postcard2011

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Blue coffee pot.... brown coffee in.
« Reply #588 on: January 06, 2012, 05:31:41 pm »
First, I have to say I really, really love this site, and I allready read all is written "lovable subtle details".
Thanks a lot for this space, I love the movie as  never before.
My english is not good enough but, please, be sweet with me.

I want to say this ( and I hope someone please answer and talk with me )

1. I love Jack´s mom at the end taking Ennis hand while she is putting the shirts in to the paper bag....
2. I could swear that the words that Jack said in the first take, out of Aguirre´s office is FUCK YOU. We can only see the movement of his lips.... I think he said that because he is a little angry with Ennis cold attitude.
3. In the tent scene, the first one, why Jack hit on the floor? I think is pain? Or he wants Ennis stop? Then I see Jack put his hand on Ennis hand, and then he tries to take both hands, Ennis and yours with the other, and then, they fall. I understand there is not only pain, but when I hear Jack in real pain.

My favorite part, all, but specially when Ennis is so so so happy "saying a thankfull prayer"

Thanks a lot. I would like to explain in a better way all I can feel. :'(

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #589 on: January 06, 2012, 05:36:49 pm »
Hi Postcard, and welcome to BetterMost!

Glad you found us!

Want a cup a coffee, don't ya? Piece a cherry cake?  ;)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre