Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476192 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #290 on: July 21, 2006, 03:38:10 am »
I just saw the button - how did I miss that?  I've always been tuned in to Jack's hand on Ennis's shirt there, and Ennis's yummy neck exposed.

What you alll are calling the wink - I see that differently.  I see it as a facial tic, that a big smile like that is so rare on Ennis's face, that it's like a spasm of rustiness, his muscles are so unused to that position.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #291 on: July 21, 2006, 10:31:19 am »
I just saw the button - how did I miss that?  I've always been tuned in to Jack's hand on Ennis's shirt there, and Ennis's yummy neck exposed.

What you alll are calling the wink - I see that differently.  I see it as a facial tic, that a big smile like that is so rare on Ennis's face, that it's like a spasm of rustiness, his muscles are so unused to that position.
I can buy the facia tic. there is also one when Ennis and jack are asleep in the final tent scene.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #292 on: July 21, 2006, 08:09:54 pm »
I thought the wink was a tic at first too.  But, here's my advice.  Sit really close to the screen and you'll see that it really does seem like a deliberate wink.  When you're close enough you can see how exaggerated the wink is.  And, I do think Jack acknowleges it... with that smile he can't contain even as he's trying to get serious and starts picking on his beer bottle. 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #293 on: July 27, 2006, 11:34:55 am »
I love the way Jack opens up the bottle of whiskey and pours a generous shot into Ennis's tin cup before helping himself. And the way Ennis says "thank you" as if he were at Sunday dinner at his grandma's house.  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #294 on: July 27, 2006, 11:52:35 am »
I love the way they go from using cups to just sharing the same bottle before they start having sex. We see the blue cups again while Ennis and Jack are camping, but I don't think we ever see them drinking from them.

(Not even coffee.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #295 on: July 27, 2006, 12:03:44 pm »
I've been wondering where to post this - guess it is a lovable subtle detail (after all, it only took me some 40 viewings before I noticed it) - well here goes...

In the "Friend, that's more words you spoke in two weeks" scene, Heath/Ennis uses a speech style that is Sooo jaring that I never accepted it in my mind - I would aparently always change it to the subjective pronoun "I"

The quote ...

...Then he got married. And no more room for me. That's how come me end up here.

It took me the english subtitles (which I rarely use) to catch this unusual phrasing [I think he's simply repeating the same pronoun that he had used in the previous sentence], that helps project Ennis' lack of formal education. Anyone else never notice this detail?
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #296 on: July 27, 2006, 12:17:08 pm »
The quote ...

...Then he got married. And no more room for me. That's how come me end up here.

It took me the english subtitles (which I rarely use) to catch this unusual phrasing [I think he's simply repeating the same pronoun that he had used in the previous sentence], that helps project Ennis' lack of formal education. Anyone else never notice this detail?

I first saw that quote in writing, actually, in the text of an Adapted Screenplay "For Your Consideration" ad back before the movie was released. And I thought it was odd phrasing (and odd for an adapted screenplay ad), because it didn't read very naturally to me. (It just isn't one of the common grammatical errors that I hear a lot, not in quite that way.) It sounds fine when Heath says it, for some reason. (Maybe because the dynamic between Ennis and Jack is just so wonderful in that entire scene that I can't nitpick the dialogue.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #297 on: July 27, 2006, 12:32:13 pm »
The word "come" seems to trip him up sometimes. How come me end up here...If I should come to know them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #298 on: July 27, 2006, 12:35:08 pm »
The word "come" seems to trip him up sometimes. How come me end up here...If I should come to know them.

It's the innuendo that gets to him, every time.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #299 on: July 27, 2006, 12:38:28 pm »
Ever notice the Way Ennis walks , his srtance, into the tent the 2nd night is exactly the same as went he goes to the kitchen to get a beer while waiting for Jack after 4 years.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.