Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476145 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #630 on: February 15, 2015, 10:10:27 am »
And I think Sonja and I are not the only ones.

You're not!  ;D

I'm still interested after all these years in seeing what people observe. Please continue and enjoy, dontinterrupt and coffeedrinkintexan! That's what BetterMost is for. And it's almost impossible to overanalyze "Brokeback Mountain," movie or story!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #631 on: February 15, 2015, 10:18:06 am »
I second that! Your post reminded me of every time Ennis opened the door just a bit, Jack would walk right through, breaking his "vertebrates" just a little more each time. It reminded me of Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the football.  :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline coffeedrinkintexan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Sweet beautiful Jack, sweet beautiful Ennis
« Reply #632 on: February 15, 2015, 11:58:11 am »
aw, thanks, Sason :)
so here's another LSD I lately began to appreciate:
Fishing trip post the thanksgiving drama scene. The one with "God damn Jack-Fucking-Twist, got it all figured out, don't ya" (BTW: how harsh!).
Rewind a little bit to the moment when Jack says "Well, maybe you oughta get out of there, you know? Find yourself some place different, maybe Texas?". Note how Jack's tone and behaviour are so blatantly uncertain, really emphasising how insecure (almost scared) he still is after all these years, to be mentioning anything that even vaguely hints them getting together. He even tries to fake nonchalance when saying this, with the pauses and the shrug, but it really only highlights it. And then when Ennis starts to ridicule him with the sarcastic remark of adopting the girls with Lureen, this insecurity is confirmed again along with something else definitely present there when he just looks at Ennis defeat in his eyes, blinks a few times, then tilts his head (look closely, it lasts but a few seconds), as Ennis finishes his tirade. His "Go to hell, Ennis Del Mar" sums all these feelings up - resentful, quiet, voice breaking, then quickly replaced by anger.
Did you see that too? It's such an underrated scene!... Or am I overanalysing?  ???
That's such a painful scene, start to finish.

J&E both full of hopes (some of them repressed), doubts, fears, and frustrations and they both just boil over....just a little. It's kind of a prelude to the bigger blowup that's coming.

They are both so damaged, yet fundamentally good people, and work so hard to cover the damage in their own way. It's devastating. I just want to take them home and hug them both and tell them they can be together, it's okay with me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:19:13 pm by coffeedrinkintexan »
"You got a better idea?"   "I did once."

Offline dontinterrupt

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #633 on: February 17, 2015, 01:33:18 pm »

Jack's attempt on hiding his motives is pretty clumsy and Ennis easily sees through it. I can understand Ennis' strong reaction. E opens up to J, talks about his insecurities, his angst, about their situation (and I bet he wasn't often willing to do that!) and J brushes E's anxieties aside in one big swoop: just move to Texas, everything will be fine. As if Tx were so much more progressive and easy going. And no thought whatsoever about E's daughters. Easy to say for Jack. But of course, seeing poor Jack being put down so harshly is sad, too.

Thanks Penthesilea! I've not thought about this scene much from Ennis's perspective, you're right. I think you might have opened my eyes here, as I've noticed now that whenever I go past the after-divorce scene in the movie (the one with Jack's 'surprise' visit), I tend to victimise Jack a lot in their relationship...

Like Sonja (Sason) already said, and as you can see here in Open Forum, we led these discussions of minuscule details over several years. Talk about excessive. ;D ;)

Haha, yes, so I've noticed :D which probably means that not many details by now escaped your attention and I am probably repeating a lot/ reinventing the wheel here... but for us rookies it is quite hard having to read through hundreds of pages of brilliant posts in each topic before contributing something of our own... hope this makes sense?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #634 on: February 17, 2015, 02:05:14 pm »

Haha, yes, so I've noticed :D which probably means that not many details by now escaped your attention and I am probably repeating a lot/ reinventing the wheel here... but for us rookies it is quite hard having to read through hundreds of pages of brilliant posts in each topic before contributing something of our own... hope this makes sense?

You'd be surprised how we have just scratched the surface on many different things! At any rate, it's great to see someone new getting hit with these revelations, and in turn reliving it ourselves!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #635 on: February 17, 2015, 02:58:34 pm »
Thanks Penthesilea! I've not thought about this scene much from Ennis's perspective, you're right. I think you might have opened my eyes here, [...]

Well, I've been an Ennis girl all the way. Couldn't help it back then any more than I can now. ;D

Of course it makes sense! We all came here to express these thoughts/ideas/feelings, to share them with likeminded people. We needed this outlet.
Thus we understand when it's the same for you now. And there's no need to worry about repeating something. Enough space around these parts. Go ahead to your hearts content; some of us "oldies" enjoy following like I already said. We hope you found a home on the internet here. :)

Offline joandcruz

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #636 on: March 09, 2015, 08:47:26 am »
First, I have to say I really, really love this site, and I allready read all is written "lovable subtle details".
Thanks a lot for this space, I love the movie as  never before.
My english is not good enough but, please, be sweet with me.

I want to say this ( and I hope someone please answer and talk with me )

1. I love Jack´s mom at the end taking Ennis hand while she is putting the shirts in to the paper bag....
2. I could swear that the words that Jack said in the first take, out of Aguirre´s office is FUCK YOU. We can only see the movement of his lips.... I think he said that because he is a little angry with Ennis cold attitude.
3. In the tent scene, the first one, why Jack hit on the floor? I think is pain? Or he wants Ennis stop? Then I see Jack put his hand on Ennis hand, and then he tries to take both hands, Ennis and yours with the other, and then, they fall. I understand there is not only pain, but when I hear Jack in real pain.

My favorite part, all, but specially when Ennis is so so so happy "saying a thankfull prayer"

Thanks a lot. I would like to explain in a better way all I can feel.
Pick up virtue from everyone

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #637 on: March 09, 2015, 10:59:19 am »
Welcome, joandcruz! Want a cup of coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?

Offline coffeedrinkintexan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Sweet beautiful Jack, sweet beautiful Ennis
« Reply #638 on: March 09, 2015, 12:09:37 pm »
First, I have to say I really, really love this site, and I allready read all is written "lovable subtle details".
Thanks a lot for this space, I love the movie as  never before.
My english is not good enough but, please, be sweet with me.

I want to say this ( and I hope someone please answer and talk with me )

1. I love Jack´s mom at the end taking Ennis hand while she is putting the shirts in to the paper bag....
2. I could swear that the words that Jack said in the first take, out of Aguirre´s office is FUCK YOU. We can only see the movement of his lips.... I think he said that because he is a little angry with Ennis cold attitude.
3. In the tent scene, the first one, why Jack hit on the floor? I think is pain? Or he wants Ennis stop? Then I see Jack put his hand on Ennis hand, and then he tries to take both hands, Ennis and yours with the other, and then, they fall. I understand there is not only pain, but when I hear Jack in real pain.

My favorite part, all, but specially when Ennis is so so so happy "saying a thankfull prayer"

Thanks a lot. I would like to explain in a better way all I can feel.
Hi joandcruz! Welcome, you're with friends here! :)

I think in the tent scene when Jack hits the ground with his fist, that is a piece of fine acting on Jake's part. I think it's meant to show that, like sex can be, he's got both pleasure and pain.

Haven't noticed the part as they're walking out of Aguirre's office but you've given me another reason to go watch it again.

I think we are all in love with Jack's mom for being so kind to Ennis as she puts the shirts in the paper bag.

Stick around and talk away. We love talking about Brokeback!
"You got a better idea?"   "I did once."

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #639 on: February 07, 2017, 03:16:40 am »
Alright guys.... New victim joining here! 11 years later and still coming!

So, let me contribute to those LSDs here...

- When Jack comes back to the camp and complains about commuting and all, he checks on the (coffee?) pot with the back of his hand. Like they way he does it!

- After Jack pisses and comes back to the fire where Ennis is enjoying his meal ("mm.. mmm.." :)), he does that sexy "snatch"(?) at his belt buckle, sits down and starts to position his foot into the fire, then next to it, then into the fire again - love his whole movements at that point. I always can't get my eyes off that foot! And his face - just gorgeous...

- LOVE the way Jack holds Ennis' neck at his "surprise" visit after the divorce notice - as if he's holding something really precious (he really does...). And also love how happy Ennis is at seeing Jack and how he just can't stop grinning... for a few moments just too long in view of the conversation they actually have...  :'(

- Upon Jack's kick-ass speech towards his father-in-law at Thanksgiving dinner, Bobbie sits straight up - very nicely done!

- The way Ennis checks whether the mailbox "do look right" at the end. Same old Ennis, making sure everything is proper and right... i'm not sure whether i should smile or cry here...

- Lastly, can't get enough of the way Ennis and Jack talk to each other! Even when they are angry or frustrated, the bond i feel in the way they talk to each other is just unbreakable. They are made for each other, bonded SO deeply, no matter what they say. Favorite lines:

"What happened, Ennis?" (after the bear)
"Ennis! Just quit you hammering and get iiin here!" (Stop torturing me with your hammering! *melt*)
"What are you doing here, huh?" (surprise meeting after the divorce notice)
"Yep, you're a real thinker there! Goddamn! Jack Fuckin' Twist... He got it all figured out, ain't he?" (Ennis is a bit angry, but for me it sounds really loving how he says it all. Kind of patronizing Jack for having said something quite naive.)
"Lighten up on me, Jack"
"Damn you, Ennis" - that one was - while quite in pain - just so loving... *melt*

Hope somebody could engage with me in some talking, cause i can't get over this movie for 2 weeks now and need some comfort, please  :'(