Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476375 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2006, 05:11:17 pm »
I get the sense that a son would have provided another avenue for male bonding, something that I believe Ennis desires, both sexually/romantically (via Jack) and emotionally/amicably (through the son he never had, and perhaps with the father that he lost and the brother from whom he seems estranged).

Maybe. But men who have difficult relationships with their own fathers sometimes have trouble in relationships with their sons. For example, what would Ennis teach his son about homosexuality? Obviously he wouldn't do what his own dad did, and maybe he wouldn't bring it up at all. But given that it's a huge issue in Ennis' life, and that it became an issue because of what his father taught him, this might produce complications.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2006, 05:24:30 pm »
"That's how come me end up here."
"I doubt there's nothin we can do."

I love these patterns, they feel the same wonderful way to me as seing Ennis's shirts fit him so beautifully, or Jack's eyebrows flicker.  They are just right.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 05:28:08 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #312 on: August 09, 2006, 06:27:45 am »

I also love the way Ennis reads the very first post card from Jack ("Hey Ennis, you know a guy name a Jack?").  The way his lips can be seen reading every word, not wanting to miss a drop.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #313 on: August 09, 2006, 10:51:35 pm »
Ennis's face flick asking for reassurance from Alma Jr. after telling her she can't live with him.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #314 on: August 10, 2006, 08:38:32 pm »
I love (well... it's at least a very smart detail... if not lovable exactly) that there are photos of Jack and Lureen visible in some of the Texas locales.  I think there's a picture of them together at least during the scene following Bobby's birth.  This just emphasizes how sad it is that Jack and Ennis don't have photos of each other... or together.  It seems to emphasize how invisible their love was to society.
 :'(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #315 on: August 10, 2006, 08:43:51 pm »
I love (well... it's at least a very smart detail... if not lovable exactly) that there are photos of Jack and Lureen visible in some of the Texas locales.  I think there's a picture of them together at least during the scene following Bobby's birth.  This just emphasizes how sad it is that Jack and Ennis don't have photos of each other... or together.  It seems to emphasize how invisible their love was to society.
 :'(
I often thought that Jack's mother would have given Ennis a picture if Jack. But since he didn't garduate high school, the may not have had a school picture of him older than a boy and the only others would be with  Lureen and Bobby.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 01:21:03 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #316 on: August 11, 2006, 01:04:04 pm »
//OT//

This is a BBM confession prompted by the above posts about photos, sorry it is OT but I'm sure it will do me good to get it off my chest: I have several soppy fantasy versions of what happens to Ennis after the end of the story & in one, he gets a package from Lureen with a couple of photos of Jack but also photos of him (Ennis) taken by Jack on one of their trips when he smuggled a camera along (he couldn't let Ennis know as Ennis would have smashed it up).  And there is even one of them both together when Ennis was sleeping and Jack managed to set up a timer.  Aaahhhh...Not sure if it would make Ennis feel better but I like the idea, as evidenced by going to the trouble of inventing a convoluted story to engineer it.  I really do question my sanity some days   :laugh:

//normal thread may now resume//
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

moremojo

Fanfic in the making?
« Reply #317 on: August 11, 2006, 01:18:02 pm »
//OT//

This is a BBM confession prompted by the above posts about photos, sorry it is OT but I'm sure it will do me good to get it off my chest: I have several soppy fantasy versions of what happens to Ennis after the end of the story & in one, he gets a package from Lureen with a couple of photos of Jack but also photos of him (Ennis) taken by Jack on one of their trips when he smuggled a camera along (he couldn't let Ennis know as Ennis would have smashed it up).  And there is even one of them both together when Ennis was sleeping and Jack managed to set up a timer.  Aaahhhh...Not sure if it would make Ennis feel better but I like the idea, as evidenced by going to the trouble of inventing a convoluted story to engineer it.  I really do question my sanity some days   :laugh:

//normal thread may now resume//
Hey, nic:

That's a great idea for a fanfic, if you ever felt inclined to pursue it. It could be one way among many "to finish the story" in your own life.

:)
Scott

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #318 on: August 11, 2006, 03:56:35 pm »
//OT//

This is a BBM confession prompted by the above posts about photos, sorry it is OT but I'm sure it will do me good to get it off my chest: I have several soppy fantasy versions of what happens to Ennis after the end of the story & in one, he gets a package from Lureen with a couple of photos of Jack but also photos of him (Ennis) taken by Jack on one of their trips when he smuggled a camera along (he couldn't let Ennis know as Ennis would have smashed it up).  And there is even one of them both together when Ennis was sleeping and Jack managed to set up a timer.  Aaahhhh...Not sure if it would make Ennis feel better but I like the idea, as evidenced by going to the trouble of inventing a convoluted story to engineer it. 

Soppy? Maybe, but them I'm guilty if being soppy, too. I too wish so hard for Ennis to have some pictures of Jack  :'(
And I like your idea of Lureen sending Ennis a package with pics.

I really do question my sanity some days   
Don't we all?  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2006, 05:10:21 pm »
And there is even one of them both together when Ennis was sleeping and Jack managed to set up a timer. 

Have Lureen send me a set of prints, Nic!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 05:59:11 pm by latjoreme »