Author Topic: 'Come to pass' is a Biblical term! Jack Twist = Jesus Christ? - Mrs Billy C...  (Read 2670 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Another classic REPOST from TOB  (references to a troll who posted have been deleted)
=================================================================
'Come to pass' is a Biblical term!! Jack Twist = Jesus Christ?   
  by Mrs_Billy_Costigan     (Sat Oct 28 2006 20:47:15 )   

I was watching the History channel earlier, something about Biblical prophecy (I'm not religious, BTW, I just watch it) and a narrator recited a long passage from the Book of Revelation (I think) and it said "for it shall come to pass" several times!! wow. What's it mean? Jack Twist = Jesus Christ? In a way, he was. he was meant to be Ennis's revelation, and Ennis wouldn't have it. so Jack had to be sacrificed for Ennis to have his revelation? that must be it. Jack is a Jesus Christ figure. Ennis didn't believe in them, together, so none of his ideas "came to pass." wow. Cool movie!!

Re: 'Come to pass' is a Biblical term!! Jack Twist = Jesus Christ?   
  by malina-5     (Wed Nov 1 2006 18:55:40 )   

well, he is the 'good shepherd' (carrying the sheep across the stream). And the sacrificial love.. so, well, yes, in a way. At least I've always thought so. And, if you look at the whole story of Ennis's life (what we know if it, anyway), Jack IS Ennis's revelation. Or at least, the twist in his path..

by afterpreg     (Thu Nov 2 2006 03:02:22 )   

*Or at least, the twist in his path...*
That is so true in both meanings!

Well I don't dare to compare Jack Twist to Jesus Christ.

by Jasna88     (Thu Nov 2 2006 03:18:08 )   

*Well I don't dare to compare Jack Twist to Jesus Christ.*

why not? because of whole sexuality thing?

Once and forever Kings fan

by afterpreg     (Thu Nov 2 2006 03:23:14 )   

*why not? because of whole sexuality thing?*

No, not because of the sexuality thing. I'm an atheist, but JC (or what he represents) is and was very important for millions of people. That's no comparison to JT.

I know JT is very important for lots of people as well, but you probably know what I mean ;)

by malina-5     (Thu Nov 2 2006 08:04:33 )   

<<No, not because of the sexuality thing. I'm an atheist, but JC (or what he represents) is and was very important for millions of people. That's no comparison to JT.

I know JT is very important for lots of people as well, but you probably know what I mean ;) >>

Well, I do, but I think there are echoes and references and they can be legitimately pointed out. JC is one of our most potent literary references; there are echoes of him everywhere in literature, art and culture. That's because he (and what he stood for) was so powerful and universal. It's not to say that Jack Twist IS Jesus. Just that aspects of his character and the role he played in Ennis's life were Christlike.

(Oscar Wilde, in a letter, called his lover "Christlike boy" - which he really wasn't, but a rather beautiful idea nonetheless)

Oh and I see from the 'ignored post' below that xxxxx is back and will probably have a field day with this... what a loony

by patsnnott     14 hours ago (Wed Nov 29 2006 20:48:00 )

That's why we are told to "test the spirits". See if he is an example of what Christ called a disciple. "They will know you are my disciples by the love you show, one to another".

...yet he was suffused with a sense of pleasure, because Jack Twist was in his dream.

by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix      (Thu Nov 2 2006 12:37:36 )

UPDATED Thu Nov 2 2006 12:38:30
malina-5 wrote:Well, I do, but I think there are echoes and references and they can be legitimately pointed out. JC is one of our most potent literary references; there are echoes of him everywhere in literature, art and culture. That's because he (and what he stood for) was so powerful and universal. It's not to say that Jack Twist IS Jesus. Just that aspects of his character and the role he played in Ennis's life were Christlike.

For many people, sex and spirituality are intrinsically linked. This is true regardless of sexual orientation. It is through our sexuality that we can shed the emprisonment of our own skins and forge a union with our "other" - and the "me" becomes "we."

Perhaps the story's theme isn't so much about who is our "savior" - are we not all supposed to be made in the image of God? Perhaps the story is more about our need for salvation and the acceptance of the form it comes in.

by malina-5     (Thu Nov 2 2006 12:49:37 )   

Yes and yes. I thought you were very smart, True Oracle, and now I am sure of it.

<<For many people, sex and spirituality are intrinsically linked. This is true regardless of sexual orientation. It is through our sexuality that we can shed the emprisonment of our own skins and forge a union with our "other" - and the "me" becomes "we." >>

I think patriarchy and religion did their best to break that link, so IMO it may be a little optimistic to say this is true for many people, now. But definitely, that link is elemental. Vital. That's why the 'love or lust' debates always make me depressed. I want to say both both both both both both BOTH until I sound like a broken record and that artificial breach gets cemented over through my sheer stubborness.

<<Perhaps the story is more about our need for salvation and the acceptance of the form it comes in. >>

That is nice nice NICE.

by Jasna88     (Fri Nov 3 2006 04:01:10 )   

*I know JT is very important for lots of people as well, but you probably know what I mean ;)*

Yeah, I probably know  (i'm atheist too, btw)

Once and forever Kings fan
  by ScissorhandsRaineyluv     3 days ago (Sun Nov 26 2006 21:16:54 )

Perhaps the story is more about our need for salvation and the acceptance of the form it comes in.
Kind of late, but very well said True Oracle.

"Should he tell her? Should he not tell her? He's torn, Georgie. This is drama." Ed Wood
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 12:02:52 pm by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40