Author Topic: Axe in the Chopping Block -- by Shasta254  (Read 2374 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Axe in the Chopping Block -- by Shasta254
« on: June 11, 2007, 12:40:29 pm »
A REPOST from TOB
=====================================================================================================
Re: Any significance to the axe sitting idle n the chopping block?
by Shasta254 (Sat Dec 30 2006 12:05:13 )

Jack also uses it when they are setting up camp at the beginning of the movie---while Ennis is sawing, I think.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

by ClancyPantsDelMar (Sat Dec 30 2006 12:53:20 )

I’ve always seen the axe and its use as a metaphor for the splitting in two of Ennis -- his true self, his mountain self, from the façade self, the city self. I think it’s interesting that just as Ennis gets the news that they’re leaving the mountain, he goes straight over to the chopping block and sits down on it. His two selves are being chopped apart and he has to figure out how to keep them together. Also, he picks up a piece of chopped wood and dismissively throws it aside, symbolic of him having to throw aside his true self in order to go back into society. It’s ironic that Jack, the one who does the chopping and who is, in effect, the great cause of the splitting of Ennis, is the one who actually gets split in two (half his ashes in Texas, half in Lightning Flat).

This, then, also ties to the scene where the “tent don’t look right” and Ennis says that he wished the harmonica would have broken in two, again symbolic of Jack and his death, both in terms of Jack being split in two and also in terms of the fact that whenever they sing or hum or play the harmonica, it’s a foreshadowing of Jack’s death.

Also, as for the axe outside of Ennis’ ranch house, it again continues the metaphor because this is a pivotal scene. Here is where Jack thinks that just because Ennis’ marriage has ended, he will be available – which, of course, he is not, because his unavailability has nothing to do with his marriage, it has to do with his damaged psyche. This is the scene where everything changes for Jack. Before this, he was ready and willing to just go along with Ennis’ new rule for their relationship (both married, get away when we can); but, here, he expects things to change. They do not. Jack’s arrival is pivotal for Ennis in having to admit that it’s not just about being married. It’s about his fear. Again, Ennis is on the chopping block as Jack pushes the decision.

by androphile (Sat Dec 30 2006 13:31:35 )

Wow. Thanks, Clancy. Yet another metaphor I somehow missed in 30-odd viewings. I must say, I tend to be conservative about symbolism even in a film so rich in it; I need convincing. There have been a fair number of posters whose interpretations I found "reaching" though I fully support folks who put them out there for all to analyze and debate. But in your case, I don't think I've ever been unconvinced. You've evidently given much time to profound consideration of this film as your interpretations are always clearly and cogently argued and supported with multiple examples from the film. You have greatly enriched my appreciation for the deeper layers of meaning in this masterpiece, and I am most grateful to you for it.

"Tell you what . . . the truth is . . . sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Axe in the Chopping Block -- by Shasta254
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 02:02:15 pm »
What you mean this axe? The one that is coming out of Jack's head??

It's an interesting discussion and thanks for posting. But I don't quite see how the axe is a symbol of Ennis. Particularly since it's Jack splitting the wood with an axe when Aguirre rides up.

"chewing gum and duct tape"