Author Topic: what's the point of the job switch?  (Read 49923 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
what's the point of the job switch?
« on: April 28, 2006, 01:35:21 am »
Here's one I've always wondered about but never thought to ask. What's the point of having Ennis start out minding the campsite while Jack minds the sheep, and then having them switch? I mean, I know what the characters' motivations are -- Jack hates the commute and the cat-piss tent; Ennis doesn't mind those things and wants to do something nice for Jack.

And in dramatic terms, there's an opportunity after they've switched to highlight the contrast between Jack and Alma -- they both cook and wash Ennis' shirts by hand, but Jack does it outdoors in nature and Alma does it indoors in artificial, civilized settings. But that point could as easily have been made if they had started out in those jobs, right?

So is there some other reason, in a storytelling/dramatic/symbolic sense, for having them go through all that? Is it just something to fill up the time during that first month, something for Jack to complain and rebel against and Ennis to accept stoically, ala the beans? Or does changing their sleeping locations set the stage for their ultimate change in sleeping arrangements?

Or what?

Offline Ellemeno

Re: what's the point of the job switch?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 01:47:12 am »
No answer from me - 'cept I'm glad you and your good questions are here, Katherine!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 01:50:18 am »
Hmmm, those all sound like pretty good reasons to me...love story development.

O0

Heathen

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 02:19:19 am »
Hi

I think that is a great question....here is what I think

I thought it set the stage for the relationship to come......the time of Jack waiting in the dark up with the sheep , smoking and looking out for the spark in the dark that was Ennis..

very symbolic for me....the waiting ...the searching ..the longing....the hope.....the darkeness  the uncertainty.

Remember Jacks words..." we should both be in this camp ".......

but in a way they never could be in the same "camp" their lives , Ennis fears and their roles kept them in separate "camps"....

Jack spent the rest of his life waiting.....it started up on that mountain.....it showed the contrast in what he had with what he wanted...

I think it was necessary for them to go through that stage ...a awakening to need of sorts...

Jack prehaps awakened to his need to be with Ennis....

Ennis his need to do something for Jack...

I feel its almost a way to show how the two worlds could not come together without consequences...first time they spend the night together...a sheep gets killed...another time the sheep get mixed up....

a hint that their  relationship would have  a price to pay....always a price....

and even after the switch.....there were issues......a probable suggestion ...that it was not the role ..or the time or the place that mattered ...but their own internal struggles or beliefs that could potentially harm their love..

the fact that Ennis would settle for a  "cat piss smelling tent " .....so suggestive of Ennis being willing to settle  for less...while Jack always wanting to have it better ..sweeter........intresting to think about.

so the job switch for me...really speak volumes..

does this make sense to anyone else?

Kea
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 02:23:25 am by Kea »
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 02:24:09 am »
Maybe it's just a logical descision. Aguirre knew Jack from the summer before, but he didn't know Ennis.
Aguirre may have been angry at Jack for the high loss of sheep the first summer, but he wasn't too mad about it to hire Jack again. So Jack must have done the job well enough for Aguirre to hire him again.
All Aguirre cares for are the sheep (=his money). And from his POV the sheep herder job is more important than the camp tender job. It's consequential to let the man he already knows (and knows he can rely on) do the more important job.
It would have been illogical if Annie had Aguirre decide the other way round.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 03:36:55 am »
I agree Kea.  I think the motivation for Jack was to be in the same camp/tent/mood together, but Ennis missed the point and does Jack a 'favour' by offering to switch.  Jack wants togetherness whereas Ennis feels compelled to make Jack happy however he can, even at this early stage of their development.  The soup is another example.  Ennis states he doesn't eat soup at the start, and then asks for it to please Jack. Jack is the 'cuddler', where as Ennis sees himself as the 'provider & protector'.  Thus the switch of shirts at the end of the film.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:38:55 am by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 08:33:33 am »
I go with the symbolism of Jack being the 'nester' preparing a place for he and Ennis - like Alma and probably like Cassie - but Ennis always just out of reach, always leaving, always going off into the wilds, so to speaik.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 10:15:53 am »
Yeah dela,
I feel Ennis pulling like the wild animal to go out, be alone.  And of course, in the event that he's acting on some inchoate, subconscious urge to escape (himself), well, it ain't working.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 10:24:19 am »
It clearly makes sense that initially Jack is the sheep tender because he's the one with experience at the job. The summer of 1963 was his second on the job, whereas it was Ennis's first, and tending the sheep is more important than "housekeeping" in the camp.

I've never really "got" any deeper, symbolic meaning for the switch. Maybe Ennis got tired of hearing Jack whining about it all the time.  :)

One thing has disturbed me: When I realized that after they made the job switch, when they did begin to have sex, Jack, the "receptive" partner, as camp tender, was now in the "traditional female role" of "housekeeper," whereas Ennis, the "active" partner, was in the "traditional male role" of "going out to work." Ouch. Say it ain't so, Annie Proulx!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 12:24:03 pm »
Yay, you guys! I think that through our collective brilliance, we have hit upon some solutions to the mystery. Kea's idea that it symbolizes their relationship and the conflict to come especially makes sense to me.

They get assigned the jobs they do because it's practical; Jack has done it before. But the story could as easily have made Ennis the one with experience and the sensible choice as sheep herder. BUT NO -- Jack is the more experienced of the two. It's Ennis' first time. Hmm ...

At first, when they're apart, we see them gazing at each other from afar (Jack looking down at Ennis at night, Ennis looking up at Jack during the day). As Kea suggests, this represents the way they remain separated, yet thinking about and longing for each other, throughout their lives.

Remember Jacks words..." we should both be in this camp ".......

but in a way they never could be in the same "camp" their lives , Ennis fears and their roles kept them in separate "camps"....

Jack spent the rest of his life waiting.....it started up on that mountain.....it showed the contrast in what he had with what he wanted...

As Kea and Ray point out, what Jack really wants is for BOTH of them to sleep at the campsite, so they can be together. (Not to get into a whole nother debate about when Jack decides to make his move, but if you ask me he's thinking about it right then.) Jack doesn't want to let rules keep them apart. His "we should both be in this camp" is like "you know, it could be like this always ..."

Ennis, stickler for rules, doesn't even consider this option. He wants to do something nice for Jack, but also he doesn't mind being uncomfortable (sticking with Alma, giving up happiness) in order to follow instructions. Jack's not expecting Ennis to suggest this, he looks kind of startled; he's hoping Ennis will agree that they should both stay in camp. But now that Ennis HAS offered, what can Jack do but go along with it? But the switch means they'll be apart from each other, thanks to Ennis.

Meanwhile, aside from your objections, Jeff, I think putting Jack in the role of housekeeper is a way symbolically to set up the tension and conflict between Jack and Alma. The two shirt-washing scenes, as others have noted, underscore this.

When Alma is washing the shirt, Ennis comes in to the kitchen and gives her a perfunctory kiss. When Jack is washing the shirt, he's alone and looks vulnerable, and Ennis is far away. And as others have observed on other threads, that scene, occuring as it does immediately after Ennis discovers the slaughtered lamb, foreshadows Jack's fate. And Ennis, who volunteered to sleep with the sheep in the first place not only to be nice to Jack but because he believed the sheep needed protecting (following rules for the sake of avoiding death), was in fact unable to protect them (Jack).

Does this scenario sound plausible?

Meanwhile, all this got me wondering, what's up with the canopener? Does that mean anything? Jack is confident he can use a canopener -- in other words, thinks he can "open up" Ennis. But turns out he actually can't. Is that too much of a stretch?