Author Topic: what's the point of the job switch?  (Read 49812 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: what's the point of the job switch?
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2006, 01:05:21 am »
Jeff, you're a tough poster! You won't let anything slip past unchallenged. I'll have to admit I got the idea from somebody else here (I hate not being able to credit the right person, but worse to credit the wrong person, who might not even agree -- for what it's worth, it was a man). Anyway, the interpretation made so much sense that I adopted it as my own.

Here's the idea: Ennis is essentially presenting himself to Jack's parents as Jack's boyfriend. ("I'm the queer who loved your son," is how the other poster put it.) True, he doesn't come right out and say so, but both parents in fact do realize it, and it's not farfetched to think that Ennis anticipated that they might "suspect." Disposing of someone's ashes is a pretty big deal, disposing them on ground that Ennis and Jack had occupied together 20 years earlier is suggestive. Lureen got it, and in that light I think her suggestion was kind. (More motivated by wanting to offer Ennis some slight consolation than because she was concerned that Jack's wishes be carried out. Bout the ashes, I mean.) Yes, Ennis can pretend they was just good friends, but the nature of their relationship is such a subtext of the whole scene ("Tell you what, I know where Brokeback Mountain is" -- i.e., "I know Jack was gay") that I think we have to credit Ennis with recognizing and even expecting it.

It appears to me, from the way Mrs. Twist steps onto the porch with coffee already brewed, that they knew he was coming. Why the disposition of the ashes wasn't already discussed, I don't know. Maybe he just sent a card. Maybe he talked to Mrs. Twist and she didn't discourage him from coming. We're probably not meant to investigate that question closely.

The point is, going there in the first place was an uncharacteristically bold move on Ennis' part. It's the first time he has acknowledged, however implicitly, the nature of his relationship with Jack to others. He's pretty openly (albeit subtly) emotional -- with Mrs. Twist, anyway. There is eye contact between them, even before the shirts, suggesting that she gets it and that he knows she gets it. He doesn't appear to worry much about that.

So all of these things suggest that he has accepted his sexuality by then, or at least reached a heretofore unknown level of acceptance. My interpretation of the closet scene is that it has more to do a realization  about love, rather than sexuality.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 07:22:22 am by latjoreme »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2006, 01:52:41 pm »
Thanks, Katherine, I appreciate the elaboration. Very well put, too. As for not letting things slip by, I guess that comes from being an editor and proofreader--it's my job to watch for non sequiturs.

I have to think and study more on that scene. I do agree that Jack's folks knew exactly who Ennis was when he showed up, and I'll go so far as to say that I think Jack's mother was expecting him--meaning, that the guy her son had been talking about for twenty years would show up eventually--but as to whether he was expected to show up on that day, I'm not yet decided.

Again going on my own life experience, I can't, for example, personally assign too much significance to the fact that Jack's mother had a pot of coffee brewed and a cherry cake baked--only because in that respect she reminds me of a late great-aunt of mine, my grandmother's sister, also a person of a rural background. No matter when you showed up, expected or unexpected, Aunt Esther always had a pot of coffee on the stove and a recently baked cake or pie ready.

On the other hand, it also seems likely that as cranky a cuss as Jack's father was, they didn't get many visitors.

So I need to study this one some more!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2006, 02:37:33 pm »
Thanks, Jeff! I'm glad you liked the elaboration. Oh, and for the record I'll throw in one more little thing that I was reminded of by your post:

Ennis doesn't know that Jack has mentioned the ranching plans to his folks until Mr. Twist brings it up. But Ennis doesn't look the least bit uncomfortable about it -- even though everybody in the room knows what it implies, and Ennis knows they know, and also to him it's the worst taboo because of its association with Earl and Rich.

Instead of running out to beat someone up or reacting in any kind of homophobic way, Ennis actually smiles -- very faintly, because he also looks sad -- at the thought. And then his expression darkens when Mr. Twist baits him with the news of the other fella. After 39 years of concealing his emotions, he is able to reveal them.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2006, 06:19:08 pm »
I'm missing Katherine while she's out on her road trip, so I'm rereading some of her great posts and thought U would like to too.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2006, 12:33:55 pm »
bump
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2007, 04:29:11 pm »
I really like Katharine's insight into Ennis here, shown by his visit with the Twists.  Good job.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2007, 04:46:12 am »

Clancypants is very smart and a good writer, but he (I'm assuming it's a he) is ruthlessly unsentimental.

I'm way behind the times on this thread.

GASP!  Katherine, YOU were the one who unknowingly gave Clancypants his BetterMost name?!  Whoa.   I feel as though I just found out that the walrus wasn't John OR Paul, but latjoreme.  :)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2007, 05:47:24 pm »
GASP!  Katherine, YOU were the one who unknowingly gave Clancypants his BetterMost name?!  Whoa.   I feel as though I just found out that the walrus wasn't John OR Paul, but latjoreme.  :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's true! And what a startling experience it was to read an introductory thread by a presumed stranger, and come upon an oblique reference to that post of mine:

I know I’ve posted a long-winded spiel on the boys’ love.  And I’m sorry if it’s been a little too analytical, but then again, I have been called “ruthlessly unsentimental.”

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2007, 08:31:38 pm »
If I am not mistaken, you also inspired the wonderful "Getting Hard Hit by Offhand Revelations" topic!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2007, 08:43:09 pm »
If I am not mistaken, you also inspired the wonderful "Getting Hard Hit by Offhand Revelations" topic!!

I would say "inspired" glorifies it a bit.  ::) More like I nagged Mel to write something about the story until she acquiesced. Still, I'm happy to take any shred of credit I can get for that beautiful thread.