Author Topic: Scene Discussion: Enter the Harmonica  (Read 13473 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Scene Discussion: Enter the Harmonica
« on: June 12, 2007, 11:33:58 am »
So far no one has posted (maybe just hadn't yet taken the time to scan it!) the wonderful composite print Adam created to be enclosed with each harmonica given out at the BBQ . . . So here goes:
Mine just happened to have 2 prints folded in, just like a double fortune cookie -- lucky me!!!

Say I have a couple of questions about that photo...First, do you think Ennis said either or neither? I recall it was Jack who said "me neither." (But I forget where). Also, why is Jack just chillin with his harmonica while Ennis is setting up the camp all on his own, hmmm???
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Scene Discussion: Enter the Harmonica
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:37:49 am »
Say I have a couple of questions about that photo...First, do you think Ennis said either or neither? I recall it was Jack who said "me neither." (But I forget where). Also, why is Jack just chillin with his harmonica while Ennis is setting up the camp all on his own, hmmm???

The famous Jack "Me neither" is the response to Ennis's "You know I ain't queer."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

RodneyFL

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 11:40:49 am »
Right you are, Jeff, with the "Me neither" line. . . took place in between FNIT and SNIT up on the mountain
"One shot thing we got going on here"
"Nobody's business but ours"
"You know I ain't queer"
"Me neither"
. . . Here is the re-creation, soon to be made available on video by the fabulous Fritzkep:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 11:41:34 am »
The famous Jack "Me neither" is the response to Ennis's "You know I ain't queer."

That's right! And so, it is a mirror to the scene in the picture! Because they both are agreeing that they "ain't quite right" and Ennis is joking that he'd a been "better off" if  Jack had "broke in two."  :-\

RodneyFL

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 11:47:53 am »
In answer to your second question about why was Jack lying down playing the harmonica while Ennis was still fussing with the tent . . . Jack had apparently finished his share of camp setup (fire pit and cooking facility), water, food storage, while Ennis put up the tent, and it took him a while longer . . . just a thought!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 11:50:09 am »
Thanks, Rodney! If no one minds, I'd like to split off these comments about the picture into the Open Forum and continue the discussion there. Is that okay with you all? (I feel the urge to use my moderator powers once in a while, just so I don't get rusty!)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 11:52:06 am »
Also, why is Jack just chillin with his harmonica while Ennis is setting up the camp all on his own, hmmm???

They probably set up camp together, then Jack chilled with the harmonica. You can tell by the light it's early evening, about time for Ennis to head back up to the pup tent with the sheep. But he's hanging out & fussing with the tent, even though he's not supposed to be sleeping there. 

(He'd have denied he's queer with his last macho breath, but his unconscious is giving him away here. Yet another precursor to TS1—which people claim "came out of nowhere" LOL.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 11:58:47 am »
(I feel the urge to use my moderator powers once in a while, just so I don't get rusty!)

Use 'em or lose 'em, Little Darlin'!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 12:01:32 pm »
They probably set up camp together, then Jack chilled with the harmonica. You can tell by the light it's early evening, about time for Ennis to head back up to the pup tent with the sheep. But he's hanging out & fussing with the tent, even though he's not supposed to be sleeping there. 

(He'd have denied he's queer with his last macho breath, but his unconscious is giving him away here. Yet another precursor to TS1—which people claim "came out of nowhere" LOL.)
That makes sense because there is no fire...and Ennis's horseblanket and saddle are propped up ready to be used.

Okay, Jeff, you encouraged me...I hope I don't get carried away like Cate Blanchett did in Lord of the Rings!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:52:41 pm »
Now where were we...question about your post, Rodney...isn't putting up a tent kind of a two-man thing? Maybe Ennis was hinting that he wanted Jack to get up off his pockets and into the zone, the tent setup zone!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 12:54:20 pm »
Also, why is Jack just chillin with his harmonica while Ennis is setting up the camp all on his own, hmmm???

I agree with what has already been said. Additionally, Jack himself gives the answer (I think): "It ain't goin nowhere. Let it be." The camp is already set, they did it together, they had put up the tent together. Jack thinks everything is done good enough and  prefers to enjoy some leisure time. But for dutiful and careful Ennis it's not good enough (remember how thoughtful he tied the knots), because it's not completely right. It doesn't matter that Ennis himself is not supposed to sleep there; it ain't right and therefore Ennis tries to make it right.

And he's setting up their honeymoon suite without knowing it  :). This thought is not from me, I read it somewhere, but I like it very much.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 01:50:52 pm »
This pic shows the new coffepot moment I saw for the first time at our screening in Estes Park. I wanted to post it in the buckets thread, but it fits also here. Have you already noticed the coffeepot in this scene, Lee?
It's on the right of the tent (left from our viewpoint), directly in front of the (metal?) boxes that were scattered by the dumbass mules. Next to it is another blue enamel item, I'm pretty sure it's a toppled over coffee mug . I'll add a blow-up of it to this post.

What is striking yet again, it that the coffeepot stands out. I know, sounds a bit odd because I just noticed it in my umpteenth viewing  ::). But it is true nevertheless. It stands out because it (and the barely visible mug) is the only item of small equipment things that is to be seen. All the bigger things are settled, the camp is basically set, but the odds and ends aren't put out by then.
Only the coffeepot is standing upright and therefore striking.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:12:09 pm »
Thanks for pointing this out, Chrissi! Isn't it interesting that the coffeepot and cup are right on top of Jack's head! And those two big gray things, are those for water?? Interesting that there are two of them together. The coffeepot always looks the same (as Ennis always remains the same, and always stays in Wyo), but the bucket often looks different--canvas, cooking pot, trash can, paper bag, etc. And there are often two of them!!

I imagine the set decorators had a lot of fun on this movie! What I would have given to be one of them or just talk to them sometime!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:38:06 pm »
In answer to your second question about why was Jack lying down playing the harmonica while Ennis was still fussing with the tent . . . Jack had apparently finished his share of camp setup (fire pit and cooking facility), water, food storage, while Ennis put up the tent, and it took him a while longer . . . just a thought!

I've always seen it differently - Ennis had been busy doing something else while Jack put up the tent.  When Ennis says, "Tent don't look right," I think this is the first he's taking a look at it.  And, like ordering soup even though he himself don't eat soup, he takes care of Jack by adjusting the tent.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 03:41:15 pm »
But the thing I wanted to say about this picture is that I think it's another great tester of whether you are primarily a Heathen or a Gyllenhaalic.  I had seen the movie quite a few times before I noticed that dazzling smile on Jake's face.  I was too busy watching Heath's every movement. 

RodneyFL

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 03:44:54 pm »
Thanks for pointing this out, Chrissi! Isn't it interesting that the coffeepot and cup are right on top of Jack's head! And those two big gray things, are those for water?? Interesting that there are two of them together. The coffeepot always looks the same (as Ennis always remains the same, and always stays in Wyo), but the bucket often looks different--canvas, cooking pot, trash can, paper bag, etc. And there are often two of them!!

I imagine the set decorators had a lot of fun on this movie! What I would have given to be one of them or just talk to them sometime!!

I believe the metal containers were for the supplies on the pack mules.  The water containers (you might recall from the earlier camp setup scene) were canvas, and thus collapsable.

RodneyFL

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 03:47:01 pm »
But the thing I wanted to say about this picture is that I think it's another great tester of whether you are primarily a Heathen or a Gyllenhaalic.  I had seen the movie quite a few times before I noticed that dazzling smile on Jake's face.  I was too busy watching Heath's every movement. 

Yes, Jack's (Jake's) dazzling smile and his chuckle at Ennis' teasing him about the harmonica!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 03:51:17 pm »

You could be on to something there, Clarissa. I noticed Jake's smile right from the get-go.

(Oh, yeah, Heath's back there fiddling with the tent. ...)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 03:57:23 pm »
You could be on to something there, Clarissa. I noticed Jake's smile right from the get-go.

Jeff, you are a sucker for guys with great smiles!

(I am too)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 04:00:22 pm »
Jeff, you are a sucker for guys with great smiles!

You bet!  :D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 04:01:36 pm »
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!

Something is wrong with that pic. I knew it, but couldn't put my finger on it. And it kept bugging me. Therefore I checked the scene right now and I know what's wrong: it's photoshopped.

Jack doesn't show *that* smile until Ennis sits down on the log behind Jack and puts his hands near the fire to warm them.
That smile is not to be seen while Ennis is standing to the right of the tent (right side from our viewpoint).

Is this plain as day to everybody but me, so that noboday ever mentioned it? Or did nobody notice something ain't quite right about this picture?

RodneyFL

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 04:05:54 pm »
Yes, Chrissi, this shot enclosed with each harmonica was a composite shot that Adam created.  The scene as printed does not exist in the film, only for gift of the harmonicas at the BBQ.

RodneyFL

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 04:06:51 pm »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 04:09:12 pm »
Yes, Jack's (Jake's) dazzling smile and his chuckle at Ennis' teasing him about the harmonica!

I like how Jack always laughs when Ennis teases him. Also in the "For you forgettin your harmonica -- I'm enjoyin the peace and quiet" scene.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 04:10:59 pm »
I didn't notice that either, good catch Chrissi.

Our photoshop magician has been at it again!! First he slipped one by us with a Twist headstone, then he spent all night rearranging Lougheed Mountain, and now this! What next?!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 04:12:09 pm »
GO JEFF! and bravo!!!

;D Thanks, Rodney.  ;D

Oh, Chrissi, this has been bothering you for two weeks? I wish you'd said something.  :( We could have helped. Some of us spotted it right away. At the barbecue, I mean.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 04:20:39 pm »
Yes, Chrissi, this shot enclosed with each harmonica was a composite shot that Adam created.  The scene as printed does not exist in the film, only for gift of the harmonicas at the BBQ.

Thanks Rodney. Now I feel a little dumb that it took me so long to figure out what is wrong with this pic, lol  :laugh:.

Oh, I just see Lee's and Jeff's reply in the preview. Seems I'm at least not the only one, but on the other hand, others spotted it right away.
I can live with that  ;D.

Yes, Jeff, it bothered me for two weeks, everytime I looked at the pic. I have no clue why I didn't ask at the BBQ (or here on the board later). Maybe because I was distracted by the harmonica lesson, and it didn't come up on the board till today.

It's the same feeling as when you have something on the tip of your tongue, but you can't get it. Ah, it feels good to have this solved  :laugh:.

RodneyFL

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 07:10:49 pm »
And I've been playing my harmonica here on Fire Island . . . brings a smile to those in listening distance . . .My "He Was a Friend of Mine" isn't half bad and provides a really fun opening for a BBM conversation!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 11:15:17 am »
I believe this is the actual scene:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 01:18:30 pm »
I believe this is the actual scene:

I think you're right.

God, I love that grin on Jack's face!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 04:15:16 pm »
One more time, you are a sucker for a guy with a great smile, Jeff!

(Me too)

8)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2007, 01:16:29 pm »
That was pretty devastating for me, learning that movie stills I love to look at had been doctored. I also went back and looked at pics of the family plot and realized that there were way more plastic flowers in the picture than really were there!! I'm just gonna look at my own pictures from now on!!

I've taken this pic myself and can ensure you that nothing is doctored in it:

All the florwers have really been there. After all, it was Memorial Day when we visited the Rockyford cementary.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2007, 05:48:48 pm »
Thanks for that good and true photo, Chrissi.

The ones that I was referring to are the second  to last and last ones in this series:

http://www.brokeback2007.com/photos/lightning-flat.html

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 11:04:36 am »
this was a fun read. I+ve always wondered about those containers too.

And Chrissie - I didn´t even see that something was wrong with the picture.
Maybe that smile distracted me

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 11:26:05 am »
this was a fun read. I+ve always wondered about those containers too.

And Chrissie - I didn´t even see that something was wrong with the picture.
Maybe that smile distracted me

Thanks for dredging up this old thread. It was indeed fun to reread it :D.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 11:33:23 am »

Three years later, this is still true. At our last viewing in Seattle, I noticed Jack in some scenes as if I saw him the first time. A (Jack)smile I had never noticed, and a sad moment, that I never paid much attention to because I was too busy watching Ennis.

I don't know if that's an indicator for me being an Ennis-girl or an indicator for me being a Heathen, because I'm both. Always have been :).

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 11:46:29 am »

Thanks for dredging up this old thread. It was indeed fun to reread it :D.

Yes, I second that!   :D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre