Author Topic: November (Repost) - by needacoffee  (Read 7338 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
November (Repost) - by needacoffee
« on: June 14, 2007, 12:46:19 pm »
November
by - needacoffee 45 minutes ago (Tue May 16 2006 04:55:03 )

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but did anyone else notice November as a significant month throughout the film:

1) Ennis and Alma's wedding in November
2) The divorce took place in November
3) The Thanksgiving scenes
4) Their planned last meeting was November.

There may be more, but I was wondering if anyone else knew of the significance of this month?
I've posted this is the past, but...

by - lauragigs 17 minutes ago (Tue May 16 2006 05:22:46 )   

November is to the calendar what 11 p.m. is to the clock. The phrase, "the 11th hour" — another way of saying "the last minute" — reminds us of the finite nature of things and of our losing battle with time, fate, and death.

In the Northern Hemisphere at least, November is the true beginning of fall — when warmth, light and color fade and outdoor activity — with its aura of ease, frolic, playfulness and innocence — is impossible.

The metaphor here becomes obvious, doesn't it? As the reviewer in The New Yorker wrote: "If Jack and Ennis have found their Eden, it is a paradise waiting to be lost".

by - needacoffee 7 minutes ago (Tue May 16 2006 05:32:07 )   
Wow, thanks for that!

Re: November (Repost in Honor of November)   
  by Shasta254   (Tue Nov 21 2006 04:32:38 )

This is a very cool post--with a subject that I had not seen discussed except to talk about Nov. 1963. Thank you for reposting, TOoP.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   (Tue Nov 21 2006 05:08:37 )   

My pleasure, Shasta254!

by NewHorizons37   (Mon Dec 4 2006 09:56:56 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
1) Ennis and Alma's wedding in November

Someone once noted that in the short story, they get married in December, and wondered why the seemingly arbitrary change to November was made. Based on the list presented, I think it was deliberate, to have that date fit the pattern of significant events happening in November.

by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   (Mon Dec 4 2006 10:03:07 )   

NewHorizons37 wrote: Based on the list presented, I think it was deliberate, to have that date fit the pattern of significant events happening in November.

I am inclined to agree, especially since it puts Ennis and Alma's wedding on a collision course with John F. Kennedy's assasination in Dallas during November 1963.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: November (Repost) - by needacoffee
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 06:25:54 pm »
There certainly are a lot of events happening in November in the movie!
"chewing gum and duct tape"