Author Topic: "Jack and Ennis, Psyche and Eros" (REPOST) -- by garycottle  (Read 2952 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
A REPOST from TOB
================================================================================================
Jack and Ennis, Psyche and Eros   
  by garycottle   11 hours ago (Thu Apr 5 2007 16:29:28 )   

I have read several posts recently written by people who say that they failed to connect to BBM because they didn’t see much love or affection expressed by Jack and Ennis for each other, so I wanted to point out something; Ennis was holding back on Jack. Ennis was repulsed by his feelings for Jack. He did not, could not allow himself to unleash unbridled affection toward Jack because he feared he'd lose control. Only once did we see the full force of Ennis's love for Jack come to the fore, and that was during the reunion kiss. Afterwards at the motel he tells Jack during a calmer moment that if they go about doing such things they will end up dead. This was not simply a figure of speech for Ennis. He believed this to be literally true with his heart and soul.

Not even in private did Ennis allow himself to express himself freely with Jack. Think of Ennis as being akin to Eros who will only make love to Psyche in the dark of night, and will leave forever if Psyche dares to look on his face. Ennis isn't completely there for Jack. Jack must take Ennis's love primarily on faith, and if Jack demands proof he will lose his beloved. That is the tragedy. It's not simply that the world is against these lovers. The main reason this is a tragedy is because the world is too much with Ennis. The hatred and fear that society has toward homosexuality is inside of Ennis. This comes between them. It is like a wall that can't be penetrated. And because of this an otherwise healthy, life-affirming love remains muted. The love that Jack and Ennis have for one another is forever nascent. It is never fully born. It is a promise that goes unfulfilled.

I believe the affection Ennis shows Alma are acts of transference. In the beginning he treats Alma the way he wishes he could have treated Jack. And I think we are meant to conclude that he is thinking of Jack when he is making love to Alma by the fact that he insists on turning her over. When Ennis is making love to Alma, in his mind he is making love to Jack. But because Alma is a woman, and his wife, and making love to her is socially acceptable, is safe, he does not hold back.

In the beginning of the story, Alma is Jack’s stand-in, but the transference eventually fizzles, and Ennis can't fake it anymore. He burns with guilt for what he has done to Alma, and later Cassie, and finally he realizes that he failed Jack, too. At the very end of the film Ennis says, "Jack, I swear..." A truncated phrase to epitomize a truncated life.

Re: Jack and Ennis, Psyche and Eros   
  by Susiebell   10 hours ago (Thu Apr 5 2007 18:09:07 )   

Beautiful post gary 

Susie

by malina-5   8 hours ago (Thu Apr 5 2007 20:10:21 )   

I love this, Gary. I love the application of the Cupid and Psyche story. And I love and think you're very clever to have thought of Ennis's affection for Alma being transference. I have never heard that theory mentioned before, but I think it has a lot of merit. hmm... but there's something just in the back of my mind about that... when Alma asks Ennis for 'a real home', he grudgingly agrees, but it isn't... when Jack asks him the same thing.. oh, anyway, that's OT. I always said I was going to someday write something about 'Ennis and Homes', I guess I need to do that.

Okay.. but the notion of Ennis as Eros, who can never be looked at and will flee if he is.. that's beautiful and so sad. In the Eros/Psyche story Eros is also injured .. marked.. when Psyche breaks their pact and looks at him. The lamp oil burns him - ie. illumination, being exposed, actually HURTS him and marks him. And so, injured, he flees.

And then Psyche must go down into the Underworld - into death - to get him back. But even before that, Psyche must perform a series of tasks that are like a test of strength or loyalty, with the promise of getting Eros back. Which might explain why Jack is so tested. All the driving. "It just don't seem right", Lureen says.

The tests, the feats, are to get Eros back, because Psyche broke a pact that she had with him - never to look at him. So, when did Jack and Ennis make a pact? Well, I can't remember what thread this was on, but unless I'm making it up, I think Clancy once wrote about that.

"This is a one-shot thing we got goin' on here."
"It's nobody's business but ours."
"You know I ain't queer."
"Me neither."

That was a pact - the conditions of their being together. Of course there's all the ambiguity about what the 'one-shot' was - just that summer, or just with each other, or just on the mountain, or just that one time? Anyway.... within limits. Strict limits. And neither of them was queer. They agreed.

So... when does Jack break the pact, and look at Eros? Is it when he asks for more (the 'sweet life')? Is it when he shows up unannounced after Ennis's divorce, seeing him, intruding, in Ennis's 'space'? Is it during the lake scene? Or all of those together?

But there's this, too... the Cupid/Psyche story is ultimately optimistic. The two are together in the end. It's a story about the growth of the soul (the 'psyche') through all its trials and tribulations, and the eventual integration of something dark and hidden (Eros, but also the journey into the underworld). So... that's why it's so fascinating. Part of the analogy points to Jack's journey and growth, whereas usually we concentrate on Ennis's.

Jack had a need to love someone so elusive, someone who (again, like Eros) carried some threat of becoming or being a beast. Why? The legend argues that it was somehow for the growth of his soul... that that elusive, otherworldly factor was somehow what he needed. Interesting...

...beauty's religion
And its Christened me with wonder

by garycottle   7 hours ago (Thu Apr 5 2007 20:57:27 )

Thanks so much Susie, and malina-5.

Also malina, I'm so glad you took my original germ of an idea and ran with it. You really fleshed out what I was hinting at in my original post. I half suspected that a scholar of mythology would come out of the woodwork and read me the riot act. It's good to know that someone familiar with the Eros and Psyche tale doesn't think I'm all wet.

This was originally going to be a reply to a member with the screen name pogosticks. He put up a post on the thread that asked if it was alright for a gay person not to like BBM. He said something about how the film didn't do much for him because he thought that the affection Ennis showed Alma was real, and the affection he showed Jack was only half-hearted. I wanted to explain that this wasn't a mistake in acting or direction. Ennis didn't believe he was free to give himself over to the love he felt for Jack, so he held something back. But when I tried to post my message I was given word that I couldn't because pogosticks' post had been deleted. I have no idea way, but I thought that maybe someone would be interested in my analogy, so I used a trick that Susie taught me, and copied and pasted my message into it's own thread. (I'm a dummy when it comes to computers.)

You reminded us that Eros was hurt when Psyche dared to look at him. And that part of the story seems so apt when comparing Eros to Ennis, because Ennis lived in mortal fear that if people knew who he was he'd die. I'm so pleased that you brought that up.

by toycoon   6 hours ago (Thu Apr 5 2007 21:34:47 )   

I think you really cracked the code here, Garycottle. Brokeback Mountain is a classic myth set in the not so distant past with the added twist of the tragic lovers being males in a homosexual relationship.

None of the characters actually gets what they want from one another, just fleeting glimpses at their simple yet unattainable desires.

Pogostix missed the point that was actually coveyed so perfectly by the movie. He felt exactly as the characters feel but didn't appreciate it's strength because he wanted there to be a happy ending but it just isn't what this story is actually about.

"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow." Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

by garycottle   4 hours ago (Fri Apr 6 2007 00:05:43 )   

Thanks toycoon. I thought that you might appreciate the reason I thought to compare BBM to the Eros and Psyche tale was because of the title of C.S. Lewis's retelling of the myth, Till We Have Faces. The title is an allusion to the fact that Eros won't allow Psyche to see his face of course, but it's also reminiscent of the New Testament verse Now we see in glass darkly, but then face to face.

I have always been struck by Lewis's title, and I've thought for a long time that it is suggestive of the plight of closeted gay men. If you are in the closet you have no face, no real identity. In Kurt Vonnegut's Mother Night an American man living in Germany before WWII is recrutied by Allied forces to infiltrate the Nazi party. He becomes such an affective party member that after the war no one believes he wasn't a true Nazi. The point of the story is that we eventually become who we pretend to be.

It is tragic that Jack and Ennis couldn't live openly. Their love was thwarted, but also the essence of who they were remained veiled. (One more literary reference and I'll call it a night.   ) In Shakespeare's Othello the character Iago declares "I am not what I am." Few of us stray as far into the dark recesses of our soul as Iago did--thank God!--but when we fail to follow our inner voice we are not who we were meant to be.

by ClancyPantsNasty   3 hours ago (Fri Apr 6 2007 00:41:17 )

Hi garycottle –

I enjoyed your post very much. Yes, the story certainly does have roots in classical mythology.

As far as the transference, I agree to an extent. Perhaps it’s transference on a subliminal level? I guess I’ve always seen ALL of Ennis’ acts of affection to be “the real Ennis.” That is, he is a very loving and affectionate man. However, with Jack, it had to be coaxed out – not that he had to be coaxed into being gay; rather, he had to be coaxed into allowing himself to give flight to who he truly was, a self he denied. With Alma, I think his acts of affection were all real and intended, in the beginning. However, as time went on, and especially as time with Jack back in the picture went on, he knew he didn’t feel the same kind of affection for Alma as he did for Jack; thus, his behaviors with her changed. The change with Alma, I do not believe was intentional. It seems it was simply “widening water.”

Hi malina-5 –

You said: “I always said I was going to someday write something about ‘Ennis and Homes’…”

I remember very clearly your saying this. Why? Because you stole my thunder!   I had been working for several months on one of my little essays but I could just never get a really good grasp of just what I was going for along this line. I still return to it from time to time and I have frequently peppered my other posts with bits and pieces of my sense of this topic. However, if I could be so bold as to offer a suggestion… There are homes, and then there are homes. Ranches, houses, apartments, trailers… but also the sense of “home” and what it entails, its responsibilities and privileges. This is actually a very strong theme in the story with regard to Jack. In fact, I believe it is exemplified in each of the three times a character says “Here I am.” And, it’s reflected back on Ennis when he said “…me end up here.” In each of these conversations, Jack is not only present, he is central. And each of these conversations includes a delivered message, in a way either misunderstood or turned on its head. Also, these conversations all have to do with the sense of “home.” I really think you could develop this well if you’d like to. A few more things… Look at Jack’s desire to get away from Lightning Flat (his home); yet it was kept the way it was when he was a boy; his mother thought he appreciated that; what do we know happened there when he was a boy? – Ennis knew it, too; Jack’s willingness to give up the home he built with his family in Texas; Jack always returning to Lightning Flat – why? two shirts? or a home? for whom?; how did Jack feel about their campsites? the second tent setup? the dismantling of it?; how exactly did TS2 come to be? did Jack approach Ennis at the fire or did Jack wait for Ennis in the tent?; and what was Jack really upset about at Thanksgiving? what words did he use? what happened in Jack’s life immediately before and immediately after Thanksgiving? Their campsites, ranches, houses, apartment, and trailer are all metaphors for the symbolism of “home.” It’s also important to look at who owned each house/trailer (etc.), was it owned or rented? What of Alma’s and Monroe’s house? What happened in each of these places and, more importantly, what happened in/around one that did not happen in/around another? Between Jack and Ennis, who saw each or any of the various places each lived? Were they together? Remember, Ennis “entered” Jack’s house in Texas when he called Lureen. Except in the mystical sense of Jack as wind, Jack never entered or saw the first ranch house that Ennis and Alma had. Is this true of any of Ennis’ other living places? Notice the connection between the final trailer – which Jack never saw or entered – the shirts and Jack’s boyhood home… which Ennis entered.

(Thank God you didn’t say you wanted to write about water, coffee, beer, whisky, blood, semen, tears and urine… I could talk a blue streak on that topic…  )

Back to garycottle –

You really started an excellent thread here and you’ve gotten some great responses (tip o’ the hat to toycoon also!) and I hope I didn’t just hijack your topic. I know that malina-5 posted about “homes” before and I hope she does look into it further.

Oops! Also, malina-5, look into just where each house is placed… note that Jack’s boyhood home, where he had shirts in a closet waiting for Ennis, was way out in the middle of nowhere. Ironic, hunh? And, of course, note the type metaphor of Jack’s bedroom to the campsite (the tent ceiling, the radiator as fire, the window as nature, the stool as log, etc. -- and just how do the cans of beans fit into this type?) Now ask, what is the closet the type metaphor for up on the mountain? Remember, Annie makes a point of telling us that it’s at the very far north end of the house.

OK… I’m done.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 04:17:48 pm by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: "Jack and Ennis, Psyche and Eros' -- by garycottle
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:13:33 pm »
Jack and Ennis, Psyche and Eros, Gary and Malina   
  by retropian   (Fri Apr 6 2007 06:33:30 )

Hi Gary and Malina.

This is a wonderful thread. I'm so happy that even now such new observations and ideas continue to be generated. As Malina knows, I'd practically given up on that. I'm glad I still come to these boards. I guess I'm an addict, but what a wonderful addiction. I remember an earlier poster asking if Jack and Ennis are mythological, and the OP certainly answers in the affirmative. I really need to brush up on my mythology because I'm not familiar with the myth of Eros and Psyche.

I have just this past weekend picked up a couple of Joseph Campbell books; 'Thou art That' in which he "re-examines the rightful function of Judeo-Christian symbols: as keys to spiritual understanding and mystical revelation. "And "Pathways to Bliss" where he "examines the personal psychological side of myth and anchors its symbolic wisdom to the individual, applying the most poetic mythic metaphors to the challenges of our daily lives." I wonder what he would have made of BBM?

However, just last night I started reading "Jung' s Struggle with Freud" by George B. Hogenson and I'd like to quote from the preface because it coincidently discusses, briefly, Freud and Jung's differences in their views of the role of mythology. I think it relates nicely to the topic of this thread.

"For both men the role of myth took on paramount importance for the theories of the psyche....Myth of course, was supposedly banished by the Enlightenment, and the orthodox reading of Freud is that he continues the Enlightenment process of overcoming myth......Jung did not think human beings could live without myth and that became the theme of his life work... Myth on this reading is one important way, if not the important way, in which human beings comprehend the world around them. To inhabit the world by recourse to Myth - and related behaviors such as ritual - is to be human. Myth, Jung says, is part of the organism. To deny its importance is to seek a disembodied idealization of the mind like that first posited at the beginning of the Enlightenment.

The other side of this point of view is that some idealized rationality alone cannot constrain the working of myth in our lives and in our institutions. Rationality, which, when applied to human behavior, becomes modern economics and its derivatives, is unquestionably also a mean for providing cognitive structure, and it has certainly been used by human beings to comprehend their world all along. The problem of the Enlightenment apotheosis of rationality is that is seeks to drive out all other forms of world comprehension. Jung's argument is that such an attempt to get rid of myth, to demythologize, is an invitation to neurosis, if not psychosis. This is where Jung is directly at variance with Freud. Freud's theory sees the continuing presence of myth as
indicative of a fundamental, indeed primordial, psychopathology. Jung sees the well ordered but continued presence of myth as an indication of psychological health. Attempts to eliminate myth from our lives are invitations to psychopathology...if a particular way of interacting with the world has been around for a long time, as myth has been, it is probably there for a reason."

Jung of course was a huge influence on Campbell. But, what I want to add is that we have now discussed, in previous threads, Brokeback Mountain's Religious symbolism and Spiritual meanings, its Psychological import and meanings. And now it's Mythological connotations and have related all of these back to our individual lives. Someone pointed out long ago (J. Campbell perhaps?) that Cinema is modern cultures mode of expressing and mythologizing the human condition. Myth is eternal, and the same motif's are reworked and restyled through human generations, but the core meanings remain the same, because the human mind and psyche remains the same.

I think relating Jack and Ennis to Eros and Psyche is brilliant. In reference to BBM's covert Christian motif's, Malina observed that Annie P. has recast the Christ story anew, without 2000 years of baggage, allowing us to experience that story anew. I think Gary's OP adds another layer, and allows us another insight to BBM. BBM as a door into the mythic dimension. I had always seen the Christian symbolism, but had always wondered if BBM can be related to pre-Christian mythologies, and Gary has done just that. As Jung would hold, this is an example of mythology reasserting itself in our culture despite the view of some that we live in a post-mythological age. It kind of makes me feel special that I am one of those who are at the point in my life to at least begin an understanding (I hope) of this phenomenon.

Re: Jack and Ennis, Psyche and Eros, Gary and Malina   
  by garycottle   (Fri Apr 6 2007 11:08:51 )   

Thanks retropain. I studied religion and philosophy in college, and since I went to a public university--WVU--the study of religion was approached from a neutral, purely academic standpoint. No one was required or expected to express any kind of faith. Because of this there was no clear distinction made between Christianity and other religions, or even classical mythology. No one said this one was true and should be looked at differently.

One of my professors defined myth as a story which bears a divine truth. The word myth is sometimes used to refer to a lie or a misconception, and that's because so many of these stories that are taken as sacred, or was once seen as sacred don't hold up to objective examination. But what many fail to understand is that a story does not have to be literally true to contain wisdom.

I was raised as a fundamentalist Baptist here in southern West Virginia, so it came as a shock when I started studying religion in a detatched way, as someone who wasn't professing a particular faith, and learned that there was a large number of Christians out there who didn't think the Bible was infallible or that the more fantastic elements contained therein were literally true.

This gave me a whole new appreciation of the religion that I had so recently rejected. I began to look at it in a whole new light, not as a supposed factual account of history that didn't hold much water on closer inspection, but as a kind of poetry that is pointing at truths that can't be said directly. However, I'm still not comfortable with refering to myself as a Christian, mainly because that would seem to detract from the imporance of other traditions, and I don't want to do that.

It seems to me that all of these mythologies--and I think the Christian story is a mythological story--are profoundly rich resources to draw on if you want to understand the cultures from which they came. And when you stop demanding that they be factual, you soon learn that their messages are often relevant to your own life.

You mentioned that Jung beleived that something that has been around for so long was probably important to our well-being. I agree with Jung. Mythology, and stories in general, and of course movies, too, are important ways human beings try to understand themselves and the greater world. We all know that Jack and Ennis aren't real people. We all know that they were never real people, not in the sense that Abraham Lincoln was a real person, or Lord Byron was a real person, but BBM is pregnat with meaning for many of us, and we know that Jack and Ennis are substantive even if not corporeal, because we see ourselves in them, and their experiences are our experiences. They help us make sense of our own lives.

by retropian   (Sat Apr 7 2007 06:29:16 )   

Hi Gary.

I agree with you completely. I think it was Jung's goal, and also that of Joseph Campbell to relate Mythology to the individual. Your OP connects and reveals a contemporary story to its deeper motif's and meanings and offers insight into how we can relate those to our lives. I really enjoy your ideas in and of themselves in an academic sense but also as a means to further explore why BBM has had such an impact on me.

That film is the mode of mythological transmission today is evident in the popularity of films such as Star Wars, which Campbell had cited as an example of the Hero Cycle prior to his death, and Lord of the Rings: another Hero Cycle, and he believed, and I agree, that the popularity of films like that have as more to do with the mythological motif's they present than with special effects. Your uncovering of BBM's mythological underpinnings I think highlights another possible reason why BBM has struck such a devastating chord with so many people. What I find really interesting is BBM's impact on society and on the individual. Unlike Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings which presents the Hero Cycle BBM as you've revealed, points to different myths related to the psychology of love. The Hero Cycle films are so popular because they relate to the psychological needs and aspirations of young men, who make up a huge segment of the movie going and DVD buying population. The mythology in BBM unfortunately doesn't have such a broad appeal, but I think that we who "get it" are more aware and attuned to our own inner lives, and more capable of exploring BBM's effects.

I have a B.A. in Anthropology from Arizona State. but I almost majored in religious studies. I was still under the sway of Campbell and Jung, but left them a while back. Now my interest in their ideas and re-emerged. I was not raised in a particularly religious household and essentially became an agnostic around age 11. I refused to go to church because I never, even as a child accepted what I was told unquestioningly. And when I couldn't get adequate answers I determined it was all bunk. As an adult I'm still agnostic, but I think the experience of a mystical dimension is valid but completely internal and individual, no external supernatural forces at work, only the workings of the human mind.

We have discussed the cathartic effect of BBM on these boards; we have related the film and story to Classical Tragedy, as laid out by Aristotle in his Poetics. Its Christian symbolism, its mythological connotations and have always related these back to us as individuals. Like you said "Mythology, and stories in general, and of course movies, too, are important ways human beings try to understand themselves and the greater world."

by garycottle   (Sat Apr 7 2007 10:47:57 )   

retropain, thanks so much for sharing part of your story with us. I enjoyed reading about your discovery of myth very much. I too was influenced by Joseph Campbell. I've spent many hours pouring over his The Masks of God series. I think he effectively showed that although myths come from a particular time and place, and therefore carry with them cultural baggage, their underlying themes have universal appeal, for those patient enough to figure them out at any rate.

But for most people the story is in the details, and because of that some see treasure where others see junk. When we strongly relate to a story, such as BBM, we see ourselves in it. And that's why someone devoted to a particular story is so offended when someone else doesn't "get it." We take the dismissal personally. To reject this movie we love, or novel, or whatever, is to reject us.

I got a huge kick out of reading a post on another thread the other day written by someone upset because, according to him/her, BBM fans act like fundamentalist Christians, in that if anyone expresses a negative opinion about the film he/she is instantly painted as this awful person who has turned his/her back on The Book. That is so rich.   When we see a film or read a story that we strongly identify with it's a spiritual experience. There's nothing wrong with that. That's what's supposed to happen. That's what we're after when we bother to read stories and watch films.

by garycottle   (Sun Apr 8 2007 20:46:23 )

retropain,

I just thought of something. If you're interested in a contemporary take on the hero's journey you might like to read Summerland by Michael Chabon. It's a great story about a thirteen-year-old boy who is coming to grips with his mother's recent death. He spends a lot of time playing baseball even though he's not very good at it. It's a fun read with all the classic markers: a hero who has lost faith, a wise old sage who beckons him to take an adventure, but warns him at the same time, an avenue of trials where the hero's ego is sorely tested, a difficult task that can only be accomplished if the hero gives himself over to a higher power, and a return home with the hero's faith renewed.

Gary   
  by retropian   (Tue Apr 10 2007 02:25:08 )   

I will check "Summerland" out. thanks for the recommendation. My only literary recommendation I can think of right now is "Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy O'Toole. It is Genius! And wicked funny!

Re: Gary   
  by garycottle   (Thu Apr 12 2007 19:22:30 )   

I just noticed this, retropain. Thanks for the recomendation. I've not read Confederacy of Dunces. I'll look it up.

Thanks,
Gary

Freud, Jung, Psyche, Eros, Ennis, and Jack   
  by malina-5   (Mon Apr 9 2007 14:21:52 )   

Hi Retropian -

Good to 'see' you!

I enjoyed reading the passages you quoted on Freud and Jung and how they regarded mythology, particularly as it affirmed my bias against Freud and toward Jung, which is not very mature of me to have as I have not read either at anything much beyond a first-year university level, and then little bits I've picked up here and there.

Limited as that is, though, my reaction to Freud (and to the suggestion, which I hadn't heard before, that we live in a 'post-mythological' (!!) age) is... how unspeakably arrogant!

Of course we are affected by mythology. 'Affected' is a gross understatement. These are the story-cycles that flow in our veins, or as good as.
The danger, as I see it, is that attempting to live in a world free of, or 'beyond', or 'post' mythology, which leads to a poor understanding of mythology, is the sterile and disconnected existence that would result. And, of course, we do already see that result. One of the side-effects appears to be the fertile ground society provides for crass or inferior storytelling, which nevertheless is probably better than nothing, with regard to its effect on the human psyche. I believe that we are hungry for it. Look at the way things like "The Secret" are becoming cultural phenomena! (well, I have nothing much against "The Secret" and what it purports to tell people, except that the whole message is so...incredibly... recycled! Shirley McClaine was saying the same thing in about 1986... countless others since then... and suddenly it's the 'secret' of the ages?? How shortsighted we become once mythology is denigrated! )

Reason alone tries to become our 'grounding'... and as a result, we HAVE no grounding. That is not a scientific opinion - that's just how it 'feels' to me.

Except, there is a human impulse to find that which we need and lack. Case in point... the life-transformation that BBM has brought about for many of us. It's 'just' a movie... it 'shouldn't' have that effect. But it isn't, and it does.

And it doesn't surprise me at all that there are pre-Christian motifs and myths, as well as Christian ones, in BBM. Christianity DID end up being a 'divide', it did change things, in ways I don't have time to go into right now, but that this discussion is making me think about. But that doesn't mean there wasn't a certain continuity in the myths of the pre-Christian and Christian eras.

I love the application of the Eros and Psyche myth to Jack and Ennis, because I think that the very act of applying it, and veiwing it in that light, adds something fascinating to our understanding of what was going on between Jack and Ennis.

Maybe it even adds a layer. From a rational, post-mythological viewpoint, Jack's 'journey', his quest to love and be with Ennis, is a little... unhealthy, isn't it? Well... I live in the therapy capital of Canada. It's very west coasty here, we're all well versed in what 'makes sense' in terms of relationships. I can't even tell you how many of my friends reacted to BBM on precisely that level: seeing something irrational, unhealthy, and co-dependent in Jack's unwavering attachment to Ennis. And I think - okay, it may be valid to see that in the story, but to be unable to get past it and go deeper is a bit... well, tragically limited, isn't it?

Christian mythology adds a layer. There is a sacrificial quality to Jack's love, it heals Ennis, and that makes it into something beautiful and special and sacred... it allows us to transcend the merely rational, and is a big improvement, IMO. But I am thinking now that the Christian lens also carries its own limitations, and that we can go further...

By 'further', I guess I mean further into wholeness. I feel, at this moment in my life, more aware of the beauty and the merit of the Christian mythology than I have been in years, maybe ever. But I do also think something about it lacks wholeness, and separates us from wholeness, and that in fact it always did that, and perhaps in doing so percipitated the 'post-mythological' age... oh.. but that's something i want/ need to think further about...

Okay, the Christian lens gives us a wonderful way of viewing BBM, but the application of pre-Christian mythology, like Eros and Psyche... look what it does!

The 'rational' view tells us Jack is wrong-headed and has little idea of how to build a satisfying life for himself... I know, that's a big statement to throw out there, and I can attempt to justify it later if anyone wants... it's not what I believe myself, but it is an attitude I see all around me...

The Christian view tells us that the individual good is subordinate to the greater good, and that insofar as Ennis was healed by Jack's love, Jack was not 'wrong-headed' to love him, and that takes us a lot further....

But the classical view tells us... it's all a quest for wholeness, for Psyche/Jack particularly! In the Eros/Psyche myth, it was necessary for Psyche to love someone so elusive, and to lose him, and to go to all the lengths she had to go to get him back. Sometimes it is necessary to go even into the underworld, with no guarantee of getting back.

In Christianity, the individual good is subordinate to the collective. In classical mythology, I think, BOTH are inextricable from one another. And at that point, it all converges. The 'hero' has to go beyond society to obtain and integrate into society something that was previously lacking. Psyche cannot fall in love with someone 'ordinary' and knowable and already integrated in society - no, she has to go 'beyond', to love someone hidden from her, someone who, reason dictates, might even be a 'beast'... and when the interplay between societal expectation (her sisters' demand that she look at him to ascertain that he isn't a 'beast') and her own 'marriage' to that which is 'beyond' results in her loss of him - and of the corresponding part of her soul, her self - it is necessary for her to go beyond the boundaries of the human world completely in order to re-bond and re-integrate with that which was lost. In the end, the outcome is positive, and it is Psyche who, with divine help, ties all these pieces together. To her benefit. Her world... her self... expands to take in what is new. It is creation.

Jack, loving Ennis.... Jack going beyond the boundaries of what his society provided, into the unknowable, the dangerous, the dark... because ultimately it was necessary for HIM, as well as for society, as well as for Ennis. That's what the application of Eros/Psyche to Jack and Ennis makes me think of...

...beauty's religion
And its Christened me with wonder

Hi Malina   
  by retropian   (Tue Apr 10 2007 02:32:48 )   

I want to let you know I just read your post. It's great as always, I'm going to ponder it and post a decent reply later (I've been drinking tonight, TEE-HEE.)

LOL.

Re: Freud, Jung, Psyche, Eros, Ennis, and Jack   
  by retropian   (Thu Apr 12 2007 06:16:22 )   

Hi Malina.

I reread you post and I can't think of a thing to add to it but this: I really like how you point out that Psyche's story is another variation of the Hero cycle. In regards to Jack and Ennis the Hero either willingly, even avidly seeks his adventure i.e. Jack's seeking the Sweet Life with Ennis, seeking that which will make him whole. Or, in the case of Ennis the Hero refuses the adventure, at least at first. Normally the Hero reluctantly accepts his adventure then makes it hislife's quest, but Ennis refuses, and that is his tragedy. Jack's tragedy is that he fails to get Ennis to join him in the adventure. "But *beep* has worked the way I wanted. Nothin never come to my hand the right way."

by loneleeb3   (Thu Apr 12 2007 12:29:45 )   

OMG! That is it in a nutshell!
What insight you have and to be able to lay it out like that.....
WOW.
That was so beautifully and eloquently put.

Hi Lee   
  by retropian   (Thu Apr 12 2007 18:07:47 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 15 2007 14:57:57
Thanks for the compliment. I see you are brand new to the Boards. Stick around. You'll find that discussing BBM provides much intellectual stimulation and emotional satisfaction. Not only here on IMDB but also check out Davecullen.com and Bettermost.com. You'll find welcoming communities of people who have been profoundly affected by this film. You may even meet a few in your area, I have a new friend as a result.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
Re: "Jack and Ennis, Psyche and Eros" (REPOST) -- by garycottle
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 04:27:07 pm »
Hi Lee   
  by retropian   (Thu Apr 12 2007 18:07:47 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 15 2007 14:57:57
Thanks for the compliment. I see you are brand new to the Boards. Stick around. You'll find that discussing BBM provides much intellectual stimulation and emotional satisfaction. Not only here on IMDB but also check out Davecullen.com and Bettermost.com. You'll find welcoming communities of people who have been profoundly affected by this film. You may even meet a few in your area, I have a new friend as a result.

Boy did I ever find that!!
I loved reading that again.
The point of fact is still as gut wrenching and true!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: "Jack and Ennis, Psyche and Eros" (REPOST) -- by garycottle
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 04:36:36 pm »
Boy did I ever find that!!
I loved reading that again.
The point of fact is still as gut wrenching and true!

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the "rewind".

I am trying to move the better material I have archived to this board to preserve it, and to give a fresh audience a chance to explore it.