Author Topic: "Moving the Campsite - Moving to the Trailer" -- by ClancyPants  (Read 2185 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
A REPOST from TOB
=============================================================================================
Moving the campsite – moving to the trailer --- by ClancyPants

by - clancypants 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 10:38:37 )
UPDATED Fri May 19 2006 10:40:50

I've always wondered what's the significance of the boys moving to a new campsite up on the mountain and why did Ennis move to a trailer?

It's interesting that each time Ennis moved, their relationship changed.

First, they were at the first campsite and their friendship developed.

Then they moved to the second campsite and their relationship turned sexual.

Then Ennis had to move down off the mountain and he moved into a ranch house with Alma - Jack's and Ennis' relationship changed to one of separation without contact.

Then Ennis moved to town and their relationship took a new twist, they reunited and were happy each time they saw each other.

Then Ennis got divorced and moved to another ranch house outside of town -- their relationship changed again. Jack hoped that they could now live together and start a new life together. But Ennis didn't let that happen. Their relationship changed to one of separation and stagnation.

Then Ennis moved to his trailer and their relationship changed again -- Jack, now dead, is actually with Ennis forever in spirit, symbolized by the shirts.

by - VerdiGuy 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 10:43:36 )

I hadn't thought of it that way.

Honestly, when I first saw the movie, I hadn't read the story, and I didn't even *realize* that they broke camp and moved at one point! Only when I read the story did it become clear to me that they did in fact move their camp.

In simple plot terms, I think it simply has to do with moving the sheep to new pastures as the summer goes on and the sheep consume the available grass. The boys probably moved then to a new (legal) campsite closer to where the sheep were now grazing.

But you do have a point about how moving seems to correlate with the dynamics of Ennis' relationships.

by - NewHorizons37 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 10:46:39 )

Well, they moved campsites because they had to move the sheep to a new grazing location. (One question I've wondered is: how did Aguirre know where to find them, that time he came up to tell Jack his uncles was sick? Since by that time they were at the new campsite. Maybe he used his binoculars more than we realized. )

It's interesting that each time Ennis moved, their relationship changed.

That is an interesting insight. It's also interesting to me that while each of those moves changes his relationship with Jack, none of those moves were about Jack and the relationship. They were for requirements of the job or personal (with Alma, or after getting divorced.) In fact, whenever Jack suggests Ennis move, Ennis gets tense or (as the movie progresses) downright angry. Of course Jack's suggestions are that Ennis move in with him, or near him. But it's interesting that during the course of his life, Ennis moves for every reason under the sun, except to be with the man he loves.

by - taj_e 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 11:05:39 )

It is interesting how the two related
The campsites were actually designated. I'm not sure if they were given specific order on when to move, but I guess Jack knew as he was previously did the same
I guess Aguirre should know where will they be by then

Ennis moves for every reason under the sun, except to be with the man he loves

Unlike Ennis, Jack seems to be rooted in one place, but he gets to move around freely, he went into places, Riverton, Mexico etc

But am sure both knew where their heart has always been

by - clancypants 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 11:06:46 )
UPDATED Fri May 19 2006 11:07:41

NewHorizons37 --

Excellent observation! That certainly adds another dimension. I really like it when we discuss these things and my thoughts gel better for me because of all the input I get from people like you. I also hope I give that to others from time to time. Thanks!

by - the_protector 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 15:21:49 )

"But it's interesting that during the course of his life, Ennis moves for every reason under the sun, except to be with the man he loves."

Wonderful.
What a great observation of Ennis' denial.

He also 'moves' for Cassie. On both 'dates' she forces him to dance and he complies. The only other times he doesn't move is when his manhood is directly challenged...like at the 4th of July celebration and when he doesn't move out the truck's way after being 'outed' by Alma.

by - karan-13 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 15:44:06 )

Great post,
On Brokeback they moved to pasture the sheep , in life i think Ennis was a loner `He had nothing, didn`t` need nothing` he applied that to life , it must of been tough loosing his parents , then having to leave when his brother married , sad lonely places seemed destined for him , i think they mirrored how sad and withdrawn he was in life. Ennis never seems to care about where he lives, he moves to be near where he is working.

Jack as mentioned does everything he can to suggest Ennis moving closer , but it falls on deaf ears , to Ennis it is never an option , just as living together never was. xx Kaz

by - NewHorizons37 1 day ago (Sat May 20 2006 05:24:03 )

Clancypants,

Yes, well there is one critique of my analysis (and yours) that just occurred to me: the first move we see Ennis making in the movie is for Jack: when Ennis switches with him and goes to "live" in the puptent. There have been debates over whether this move is his way of trying to do something for Jack who he is starting to like, or whether it is the first example of his playing by the rules, which has the result of keeping them apart.

by - majikstl 22 hours ago (Sat May 20 2006 09:39:03 )

Isn't homelessness a traditional aspect of the cowboy lifestyle? Going from job to job, ranch to ranch, bunkhouse to bunkhouse, all his possessions rolled up and kept on the back of his horse. It's a combination of a restless nature and feeling of never quite belonging. And perhaps a fear of being tied down to one place or one person.

How many westerns end happily with the hero deciding to settle down with a wife and in a community -- or end with the hero riding off into the sunset, having still never found a home?

And think of this: Jack settles down, finds a home and family and becomes a businessman -- he becomes civilized in the western sense of the word. And he sells farm equipment -- the establishing of farms and homesteads being a symbol of the end of the open prairies, the taming of the west. Jack becomes what Ennis can't seem to become or doesn't want to become. He only is able to be at one with Jack in temporary surroundings, the motel room, the campsites. And apparently never the same campsite from visit to visit. It seems Ennis can't commit to a person just as he can't commit to a home. Maybe because they are same thing.

by - clancypants 17 hours ago (Sat May 20 2006 15:03:52 )

majikstl --

You made some excellent points above -- as always.

Others have commented on Jack being the wind -- free and spirited. It seems that with Ennis moving all the time he is blown by the wind. Oops... makes me wonder "what the hell was I thinking?"
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40