Author Topic: "The Symbolism of the Gun" -- by ClancyPantsDelMar  (Read 2624 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"The Symbolism of the Gun" -- by ClancyPantsDelMar
« on: June 15, 2007, 06:45:47 am »
A REPOST from TOB
==============================================================
The Symbolism of the Gun   
by ClancyPantsDelMar 8 hours ago (Thu Dec 7 2006 00:37:03 )

This is something that I posted here a very long time ago. It has long since dropped off the board. I have tweaked it a bit based on months of conversations with all of you. So, like it or not, here it is:

The 30-30 rifle (or a gun, or shooting) symbolizes Jack’s and Ennis’ fate and future. The occurrences come in pairs. Sometimes they take in Ennis’ point-of-view, sometimes Jack’s. Sometimes they bookend each other. Each instance cannot really stand on its own, and each couplet (of sorts) sets up an image. However, when all of the instances are paired and then taken together as a whole, they symbolize our boys' fate.

I refer to all types of firearms here as “gun” just for simplicity sake. In some cases it may be a rifle or a shotgun.

Twice we see that a gun is fired – this symbolizes their future –
1 – Jack shoots at the coyote and misses – his vision of the future – living together - will not be realized.
2 – Ennis shoots the elk and hits – his vision of the future – not living together - will be realized.

A gun is mentioned twice without being seen –
1 – Aquirre tells the boys they’ll have a 30-30 on the mountain – he’s setting up their fate, being together.
2 – Jack mentions Lureen or “the husband” may shoot Jack if they find out about him and the rancher’s wife (really Randall) – their fate is sealed, Jack’s death.

Twice we see the gun get cocked –
1 – Just before they head up onto the mountain, Jack cocks the gun and puts it into its holster – this symbolizes a new life is about to begin for them, a friendship relationship.
2 – Just before Ennis rides off after the first tent scene, Ennis cocks the gun – this symbolizes a new life is about to begin for them, a sexual relationship.

Twice we know that the gun was fired, but we don’t see it –
1 - Ennis tells Jack that Ennis killed the coyote - this symbolizes Ennis giving Jack one thing that Jack wanted - friendship.
2 - Ennis kills a coyote after he finds the slaughtered sheep - this symbolizes Ennis giving Jack another thing that Jack wanted - a sexual relationship.

Jack did not get his vision of the future; Ennis gets his vision of the future - but Ennis is willing to give Jack what Ennis is able to give Jack.

Twice a gun is seen in its holster – the life they’ve been used to will change –
1 – Jack gets off his commute horse and carries the gun, in its holster, over to the fire and sets it down by the two of them – they were “keeping house” with Ennis at home, Jack going off to work - this changes to Ennis going off to work and Jack staying home.
2 – Jack puts the holstered gun in the backseat of his truck at the end of the final lake scene – this life of the past twenty years, of meeting 2-3 times per year – is going to change.

The gun symbolizes their fate, the continuance or end of their relationship.

Twice there is a gun that is completely out of their control –
1 - The gun the man holds in the television episode Alma and Ennis watch. This is immediately after Ennis has returned from his time with Jack and he’s sulking about Jack being gone instead of going with his family to the church social. This is a symbol that their relationship goes on even when they’re not around each other; even when in another relationship.
2 - As Cassie dances with Ennis, “The Devil’s Right Hand,” a song about a gun is playing. Again, the relationship goes on in the presence of another.

Note also that these two incidents may also symbolize the end of each Ennis+woman relationship in favor of the continued relationship with Jack.

Twice a gun is in view, but is not cocked, holstered, or fired –
1 – Ennis carries the gun up to Jack when he first meets with Jack after having ridden off the morning after the first tent scene – it’s a symbol that their lives (as friends) have had a change (they had sex), but their relationship will continue on in a new way.
2 – There is a small gun hanging on the wall in Jack’s bedroom – it’s a symbol that their lives (as friends, and as so much more) have had a change (Jack died), but their relationship will continue on in a new way.

Ennis told Jack that “this is a one-shot thing we got goin’ on here.” This is not a statement by Ennis that Ennis intends that the first tent scene will also be their last. Nor is it a statement by Ennis that their time on the mountain will be it for them. Rather, Ennis uses the one-shot (gun) metaphor invoking the symbolism of their relationship continuing forever - because once it’s been fired, there’s no pulling it back in. It was a one-shot deal, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I should note that there are other significant examples in the short story of a “shot” metaphor—

-- Jack is the one who said it’s a one-shot deal.
-- After Jack admitted to Ennis about going to Mexico (for sex) at the final lake scene, Ennis was heart-shot.
-- Ennis shot Jack’s airplane out of the sky at the end of the motel scene.
-- During their sex, Jack said “gun’s goin off.”
-- The first indication in the short story of any sexual attraction comes when Ennis bathes and Jack notices “no drawers, no socks.” This is preceded by Ennis telling Jack that he shot a coyote.
-- Ennis trespassed in the shoot-em zone when he asked Jack about going to Mexico.

In the short story there seems to be an imagery of sex associated with the gun. In the film, it’s their fate.
Re: The Symbolism of the Gun -- by ClancyPantsDelMar   
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   (Mon Apr 30 2007 06:26:44 )   

Re: The Symbolism of the Gun   
by jackie-77 2 hours ago (Thu Dec 7 2006 01:09:13 )

Hi, ClancyPants.

Ennis told Jack that “this is a one-shot thing we got goin’ on here.” This is not a statement by Ennis that Ennis intends that the first tent scene will also be their last. Nor is it a statement by Ennis that their time on the mountain will be it for them. Rather, Ennis uses the one-shot (gun) metaphor invoking the symbolism of their relationship continuing forever - because once it’s been fired, there’s no pulling it back in. It was a one-shot deal, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Huh?? I totally don't understand it not being something along the lines of: this is a fluke and won't continue in our waking life (i.e., off the mountain).

'splain me this, please.

Hugs,
Jackie

Re: The Symbolism of the Gun   
by ClancyPantsDelMar 1 hour ago (Thu Dec 7 2006 02:08:25 )

Hi jackie-77 --

"Huh?? I totally don't understand it not being something along the lines of: this is a fluke and won't continue in our waking life (i.e., off the mountain). 'splain me this, please."

My comment is coming from a literary analysis perspective.

On the textual level, at the moment, it meant that the sex was only going to be on the mountain. It couldn't mean that TS1 was a one-time deal, never to be repeated, because Ennis said "This is a one-shot thing we got going on here" not "This was a one-shot deal that happened." The textual level focuses on the time element.

However, the subtext to it is that the sexual relationship that they began would be something only between them. In other words, Ennis with Jack, Jack with Ennis, neither with anyone else (male, at least). This could, but does not have to, have a time element involved. It could be only during their time on the mountain, or it could be for as long as they know each other. Either time element is possible subtextually, because the focus is on the exclusivity part of it.

However, there is also the symbolic or metaphoric level in which case we have to look at the entire story and see what actually happened. When characters say or do something that is symbolic or metaphoric, it usually is for the viewer to "subliminally" understand. It usually is NOT understood by the character. (For example, every time our boys hummed or sang or played the harmonica, it was a foreshadowing of Jack’s death. Had the characters known this, they would not have hummed or sang or played the harmonica.) Here, the symbolic level of Ennis' statement must be viewed along with what eventually did occur in their relationship. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, just the two them, forever; this, symbolized by the gun metaphor of a shot being irretrievable.

In my quoted comment above, I was speaking on the symbolic/metaphoric level. Not the textual or subtextual level. Your comment fits into the textual level.

Hope this helps.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "The Symbolism of the Gun" -- by ClancyPantsDelMar
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 06:50:52 am »
This was one of my favorite posts on the IMDB board for a long time. Thanks for bringing it over here!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "The Symbolism of the Gun" -- by ClancyPantsDelMar
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:59:47 am »
This was one of my favorite posts on the IMDB board for a long time. Thanks for bringing it over here!

Glad you enjoyed it!

In time, i will be moving most of my reposts over here for safe keeping. 

(If I should accidentally duplicate things on here, my apologies...  I want people from the other board to find familiar posts here, potentially share these threads with a new audience, and to keep these threads where they can be safely preserved.)

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40