Author Topic: A cool Jake cameo...  (Read 8238 times)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
A cool Jake cameo...
« on: June 15, 2007, 06:51:58 pm »
So last week I was super, super happy when I got tickets at the last minute to go see Rufus Wainwright Friday June 8th at the Gramercy Theater in New York. As you may know, I've been a big fan of his since 1999, and have seen him four or five times. So, he was awesome, with a seven piece band, stripes galore on all band members, only matching on Rufus himself though, who was in a designer suit with a striped shirt underneath (in beautiful browns and purples it seemed).

So he's playing all songs from his new album and at the end of the first set he said they were going to play one more song and then take a break, at which point we could "go and find the love of our lives or get dumped...Most of you will have nothing happen, that's the way life goes." Then he starts this great new song called "Between My Legs," very danceable, as my friend and I can attest (we were about the only people dancing in the whole crowd, which was seated).

SO, you've probably guessed it, but believe me, I was floored when Jake walks out towards the end and starts speaking/yelling a little in a very dramatic and wacked-out voice about a river running underground towards the sea. At the time, I was busy flipping out so I didnt' really catch what he was saying, but I've gone back and read the lyrics now. It was totally awesome! When he finished he looked at Rufus with this great, "How was that?" kind of smile, and they hugged and kissed each other on the cheek before Jake ambled offstage again. He's sporting a beard again, which I like.

The rest of the night I kept chucking to myself in half-disbelief. Now I know that Rufus has a different person come out onstage each night to do this cameo part, but what a night I picked to go!

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: A cool Jake cameo...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 07:07:49 pm »
I would be saying a lot of nice things here, if I wasn't so envious all speech has left me!  :o

What an amazingly great evening that must have been. I'm happy for you and that someone from this board got to experience that. :) :) Do you know if any pictures were taken?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 07:09:27 pm »

Holy Brokeback, you are surely one lucky girl.  For a true Gyllenhaallic and a Rufus Fan as well.  I have tickets here in Portland also for the july 31st show.  I hope someone cool shows up here...But probably not, not too many celebs live here. Save that ticket.....you will be able to make some e bay bucks if you decide to sell it.

Beautiful mind

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 07:26:59 pm »
I would be saying a lot of nice things here, if I wasn't so envious all speech has left me!  :o

What an amazingly great evening that must have been. I'm happy for you and that someone from this board got to experience that. :) :) Do you know if any pictures were taken?

Yup

David in hartford posted the following picture on the 1 000 + post thread on June 10th ... cool indeed!

2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 07:34:05 pm »
 :) :) :) Thank you!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:10:20 pm »
AWEsome!  [envious face]

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 12:30:46 am »
Jesus H!  I'm so glad you were there to witness it, Jenny!  That is so great!  8)  :P

Wow, now I'm looking forward even more to the August concert.  I hope he has another cool guest show up.  Shout out to Heath!!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 01:24:58 am »
Jenny, what a God Blessed Bitch of a Satisfactory Situation!  :-*

And thanks for the photo, David and Roland.  :)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 05:31:27 pm »
yeah, that is a great picture. Thank you for posting it! I haven't been able to find any video footage of the song, so pictures are a nice second-choice way to remember it. I was actually standing in the far left side of the house (and in the direction Jake is looking), in about the 7th row, so who knows, maybe he saw me keeling over and clutching my friend's hand!

It looked darker to me than these pictures show, so I can actually see him better here than I could that night. People on other boards have said Rufus was laughing, and my friend also said Jake was kind of laughing too, though he was also reading the lines with a lot of drama, like over-the-top drama. But again it was such a surprise that I was in something of an altered state and not really as present as I would have liked to have been. But awesome nevertheless!
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 04:38:26 pm »
Hey Jenny - love the story! But it should have ended with Jake looking into your eyes and falling in love!

and like the photo...... so cool!

Now Jenny - go update our meet up in Scotland thread missy!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/