Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 35284 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Welcome
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:44:02 pm »
I am very happy to welcome IMDb users, and the rest of the BetterMost community, to this new forum devoted exclusively to archiving the remarkable threads from IMDb's Brokeback Mountain forum that are in peril of being trolled upon or outright deleted.  You'll see a variety of topics that have been brought here for your consideration.

Also remember, BetterMost has a fully searchable archive of all of our messages from the day this site went online -- simply use the Search box at the top left of the forum to locate messages based on keywords, phrases, etc.  We're very happy to make a home for your messages in a troll-free environment, and I've asked Bruce to come on board as a moderator here to help coordinate and maintain this archive.

We have a variety of forums already open to BBM discussions, if you'd like to start a new topic, I'd first recommend using our primary Brokeback Mountain Open Forum (the one you entered first before getting here).  Your message will be more readily seen by the entire BetterMost community.  But feel free to carry on replies to the wonderful threads that have been brought here by Bruce as well!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Welcome
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:49:57 pm »
I'm really happy to see this Phillip! Thank you!  :D

Once again, I'd like to join Phillip in welcoming all our new members from IMDb. I hope you will feel comfortable in your new home here at BetterMost. If there is anything I can do to help you, please send me a pm!  :D

Congratulations Bruce on your new moderator position! I'm quite sure you will do an excellent job. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you!

David.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 05:06:41 am »
Thank you Phillip and Dave for your support in helping me to get this off the ground.   ;D

Many of you having arrived from The Other Board will recognize me as "True_Oracle_of_Phoenix", the REPOSTer of "gone but not forgotten" threads.   This forum is devoted to sharing "The Oracle's Archives" with all the members here and to preserve the work of our best and brightest from the other board, in a format that is safe from troll incursion. 

This is also a space that will allow the threads to remain free of the need of "Team Bump" (and I am so grateful to your all for all your hard work - you know who you are) to quietly nudge the threads every two weeks to keep them dropping off the back end of the board.  I recognize the massive commitment of time the members of "Team Bump" have made to maintain content on the other board, and we members there owe you all a huge debt of gratitude.  One person remarked to me by PM that s/he never had time to actually read the threads anymore, since s/he was too busy trying to preserve them. 

In REPOSTing, I claim two editorial privileges:  I will remove all bumps, and I will remove troll posts. 

The new format here will also provide something previously unavailable: content that is SEARCHable.

Transferring these threads will take some time, and for any assistance people are willing to provide in helping to transfer this material, your Oracle is Truly grateful.

TOoP

;D
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 02:26:01 pm »

Many of you having arrived from The Other Board will recognize me as "True_Oracle_of_Phoenix", the REPOSTer of "gone but not forgotten" threads.    

The new format here will also provide something previously unavailable: content that is SEARCHable.

Congratulations on your new position as moderator, True. You're gonna be the best moderator this board has ever seen!

P.S. I was just checking IMDb and looking over the old threads. It's sad when I check threads I posted comments on back when I was a 'newbie' and almost the entire thread is marred by "post deleted". *Sigh*
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 03:01:42 pm »
Congratulations on your new position as moderator, True. You're gonna be the best moderator this board has ever seen!

P.S. I was just checking IMDb and looking over the old threads. It's sad when I check threads I posted comments on back when I was a 'newbie' and almost the entire thread is marred by "post deleted". *Sigh*

I'm excited to be here, and I am also excited to have you here as well! 

I look forward to leaving the [post deleted] experience behind, and to help my friends from both boards "mix it up a bit" in this forum.  This space gives IMDbers a place to look up familiar threads from the TOB, and Bettermostians a chance to find either familiar threads they left behind, or to experience some of our communal thoughts without requiring troll repellant. 

I know there is another BbM Archive in the original html format  --  and believe me, I am VERY grateful it exists -- but like IMDb, the content is not searchable, and the threads are preserved for all time as of their date of capture, with no possibility of continuing a discussion.  Moving the threads here in this format will help to keep the possibility of discussion open, and add the possibility of finding half-remembered things by searching for a keyword.

(By the way, "what are you waitin for CoowToy - a matin' call?"  You are needed in "Brokeback Mountainopoly"
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 09:17:52 pm »
Moving the threads here in this format will help to keep the possibility of discussion open, and add the possibility of finding half-remembered things by searching for a keyword.

I hope people will jump in and keep those discussions going! There's always more to say.  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 01:59:33 am »
I'd love to see this forum turn into another IMDb, with all the former IMDb members posting comfortably and happily.

And troll free of course!  ;)  :D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 06:21:57 am »
You're gonna be the best moderator this board has ever seen!

Hey!  I resemble that remark!   We're goin a say, "ONE of the best moderators this board has ever seen!"  And then I completely agree!

:)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 06:50:29 am »
you RESEMBLE that remark!?

:laugh:

:-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 09:10:53 am »
Toycoon and I are buddies from waaaaaay back.  I'm sure he meant no offence

Right buddy?

(sharply kicking toycoon's ankle under the table....)

Offline TrollHammer

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 10:29:38 pm »
Hi, Oracle, I'm still trying to learn my way around.  Congratulations on becoming a moderator, you sure deserve it.

Hi, everyone.  Until recently I was 5 of the most active bumpers on Team Bump, so adding recent nonsense, I'm too pooped to pop.  But soon I'm gonna try to start re-reposting some of the threads Oracle reposted on the other board so "done is done" 8) instead of "done is postponed agin for 'nother two weeks" ???

Oracle, let me know if I mess up on the format or anything.
TrollHammer
(formerly TrollHammer, OgreMaul, OgMallet, and BruteSmasher; and still GrendelSledge; at IMDb)

my LJ is BbMTrollHammer, my email is [email protected]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 10:33:22 pm »
Hi, Oracle, I'm still trying to learn my way around.  Congratulations on becoming a moderator, you sure deserve it.

Hi, everyone.  Until recently I was 5 of the most active bumpers on Team Bump, so adding recent nonsense, I'm too pooped to pop.  But soon I'm gonna try to start re-reposting some of the threads Oracle reposted on the other board so "done is done" 8) instead of "done is postponed agin for 'nother two weeks" ???

Welcome to BetterMost Trollhammer!!

I'm sure you'll love it here! Please let me know if you have any questions or need any help. Just send me a pm by clicking on the little blue circle under my picture!

<--------------

Enjoy the forum. I'm sure you will many familiar names over here!  :D

injest

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 11:42:31 pm »
Hi Trollhammer! Glad to see you here. You will find a lot of refugees from IMDb at this link. We have a thread they have been chatting on (and we have been getting to know them!) here!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10260.0.html

If you need anything just pm anyone in red at the bottom of the front page of the forums!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 11:59:26 pm »

I am so happy to have you here, TrollHammer! 

I look forward to your assistance in helping to build this forum!

Thank you for all you have done for the other board, I don't know if people fully appreciate your contributions to preserving content on the other board, but I certainly do.  I look forward to your assistance in helping to transfer the best of the other board here, where it is appreciated.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 02:08:49 am »
you RESEMBLE that remark!?

:laugh:

:-*

It's an old joke from at least the early 60s.  Rodney Dangerfield, or sumpn.  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 03:50:58 am »

It's an old joke from at least the early 60s.  Rodney Dangerfield, or sumpn.  :)

lost on me since I'm a QUARTER of a century!  :laugh:

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 06:25:09 am »

:)

injest

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 07:56:54 am »

I thought you said you was 50!!

;) ;)'

looking durn good too for that age!!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 08:20:05 am »
I thought you said you was 50!!

;) ;)'

looking durn good too for that age!!

Nah - I just can't tell the difference between quarter and half. I was an 80's child!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 09:17:41 pm »
Bruce, this is the first I've had a chance to look at the list of threads you've got over here, and it's really exciting.  I feel immensely reassured to know that so many beautiful, heartfelt, friendly, intellectual, funny, inspiring, saucy, affectionate things written about Brokeback Mountain are safely tucked away here at BetterMost, ready not only for reading but for further comment.   8)

Thank you so much, Friend!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 04:45:50 am »
Bruce, this is the first I've had a chance to look at the list of threads you've got over here, and it's really exciting.  I feel immensely reassured to know that so many beautiful, heartfelt, friendly, intellectual, funny, inspiring, saucy, affectionate things written about Brokeback Mountain are safely tucked away here at BetterMost, ready not only for reading but for further comment.   8)

Thank you so much, Friend!  :-*

As of today, are now exclusively available to Bettermostians.  IMDb has wiped my account as True Oracle of Phoenix.  Was this the work of trolls or admins?  I don't know...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 04:52:57 am »
IMDB's loss is our gain.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 05:31:29 am »
Sadly, tonight I discovered my account as "True Oracle of Phoenix" at IMDb has been wiped.  Was this the work of trolls, or the IMDb admins?  Who knows...  All my reposts there are gone...   :(

Many of the threads saved in this forum are now exclusive to Bettermost.   :laugh:

TOoP / Bruce

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 10:24:25 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
It sucks, don't it?
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 09:44:29 am »
Sadly, tonight I discovered my account as "True Oracle of Phoenix" at IMDb has been wiped.  Was this the work of trolls, or the IMDb admins?  Who knows...  All my reposts there are gone...   :(

Many of the threads saved in this forum are now excluse to Bettermost.   :laugh:

TOoP / Bruce

It's the weirdest feeling, to suddenly disappear from the fold. I'm bummed because I lost all of my posts to the 'Candy' message board. I'd written many things about my friends that died as a result of drug abuse and I never bothered to save the posts.

True, you'll always have a home here (I think...).
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline opinionista

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 10:06:14 am »

Many of the threads saved in this forum are now excluse to Bettermost.   :laugh:

TOoP / Bruce

These are the reasons given by IMDb as to why posts keep disappearing. In case you haven't read it.

Why was my message boards post deleted/moved?
Posts in our message boards can be deleted/moved for a variety of reasons. First of all, before assuming your post has been deleted, you should check your post history (on your user profile page). Sometimes posts are moved by an administrator to a different board from the one they were posted on (usually because they were off-topic and/or better suited to a different forum).
If you are certain that the post has been deleted and you didn't do it, then there are two possible reasons: the message has been removed by a moderator or it has expired. Our boards are not designed to store messages indefinitely: after a certain amount of time older threads are removed from the board automatically. This process is called "expiry".

The rate of expiry is adjusted dynamically according to the posting traffic for each board. Threads are removed sooner from a board that attracts a lot of posts than they would be from a board with less activity.

Please keep in mind that the boards system is not meant to be an archival medium, and all posts are subject to expire and disappear sooner or later. This is intended to allow us to manage the resources consumed by each board effectively, and also to promote the ever changing flow of discussion.

Posts can also be deleted by an administrator if they have generated complaints from other users (through the Report Abuse feature) and have been deemed inappropriate. Please note that when an administrator removes a post that was the head of a thread, every other post in that thread is removed at that same time.

In cases of cumulative, serial or blatant abuse of the system, administrators may exercise the option of removing entire post histories from the system. If this has happened to you, its a definite sign that you are doing something inappropriate that has attracted multiple complaints.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 01:11:03 pm »

TOoP / Bruce

Your username proved to be well-chosen, Bruce.  You foresaw a change in the Force and made the leap in good time.  I'm sorry your presence as TOoP is only a memory over there now, though.  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 02:30:11 pm »
Was this the work of trolls or admins?  I don't know...

Though what's the difference, really, when you come right down to it? The admins enable the trolls; the trolls activate the admins.

Sorry about what happened, Bruce.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 04:05:48 pm »
Your username proved to be well-chosen, Bruce.  You foresaw a change in the Force and made the leap in good time.  I'm sorry your presence as TOoP is only a memory over there now, though.  :'(

Well, I did foresee it coming...

Part of me is sad that IMDb is finished for me, but I must say that I am absolutely thrilled to take refuge here with so many of my friends and associates. 

And, yes, like the Phoenix, I am here and now from ashes reborn.

One of my last posts on the other board contained these phrases:

"So dry your eyes
if this board dies,
for we'll not be defeated.

There is a B E T T E R way
my friends,
than always
"bump-deleted."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 04:09:30 pm »
"So dry your eyes
if this board dies,
for we'll not be defeated.

There is a B E T T E R way
my friends,
than always
"bump-deleted."

That's great--I love it, TOoP!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 10:19:01 am »

Don't get me wrong, I love it here, I feel so comfortable and happy and safe, but I just feel a little sad about losing my first Brokeback home.

I understand, Susie, it was my first Brokie home too.

:(

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 10:44:05 am »
I am very happy and proud that BetterMost is becoming the definitive authority of all things Brokeback both lighthearted and serious. I see it as a place where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring, but also where there's a quiet desk waiting for the scholar of the film or story with all the reference material close by for easy access. Not to mention a thousand dedicated Brokies whispering our desires, hopes, and dreams in receptive ears!!

I fully intend to add to the discussions here but it will take some time to get up to speed on these remarkable threads.

"chewing gum and duct tape"