Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD  (Read 9002 times)

rtprod

Re: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 10:53:53 am »
I think evidence points towards lower audio levels on the DVD transfer.  In the theaters I had no problem hearing "Jack, I Swear", but on the dvd the volume is lower.

LittleGuitar, your avatar looks like the lovechild of Ziggy Stardust & Shirley Manson.

I hate to disagree here but the levels are fine on the DVD and this is likely attributed to a variance in theater sound systems and home sound systems.  Transfers of DVDs are hi-def and carefully handled for the most part, and I have noticed nothing aberrant on mine. 

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 01:30:41 pm »
I hate to disagree here but the levels are fine on the DVD and this is likely attributed to a variance in theater sound systems and home sound systems.  Transfers of DVDs are hi-def and carefully handled for the most part, and I have noticed nothing aberrant on mine. 

Interesting.  I've watched my commercial DVD on my brother's Klipsch sound system which a musician friend considers very good, and noticed a difference in the volume of Ennis' last line.   I have yet to compare the screener on his system, but I'd not noticed a difference in volume on that one - it seemed to be equal ratio to what the levels were in the theater.  I wonder if DVD's in different areas are pressed by different manufacturers who use a different set of standards?
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

rtprod

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 02:56:53 pm »
Interesting.  I've watched my commercial DVD on my brother's Klipsch sound system which a musician friend considers very good, and noticed a difference in the volume of Ennis' last line.   I have yet to compare the screener on his system, but I'd not noticed a difference in volume on that one - it seemed to be equal ratio to what the levels were in the theater.  I wonder if DVD's in different areas are pressed by different manufacturers who use a different set of standards?

Weird.  I think they were all "made in mexico" according to the labels on the copies i bought lol.

rt  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD ----OT
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 03:23:49 pm »
Off topic here, but I wonder if Little Guitar has a larger size pic of that avatar pic.  I'd like to use it as a visual reference for an upcoming project.
It looks like a contemporary recreation of a cool Bowie shot though.  The lighting and film stock look too contemporary to be from the 70s.  If it's photoshopped, then someone did a heck of a job.

LOL, it's a classic Mick Rock photograph from '72 or '73.  It may feel like ancient history, I guess.  He was among the most famous Ziggy-era photographers and his pics of Bowie as Ziggy tend to be very colorful... he's really a wonderful photographer. 

OK, I promise to return to topic after this...
 ::) :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie