Author Topic: Another observation --- by clancypants  (Read 2147 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Another observation --- by clancypants
« on: June 16, 2007, 03:28:38 am »
REPOST (courtesy of "TheDozyEmbrace")
===============================================================
Another observation --- by clancypants

by - clancypants 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 11:15:05 )

Ennis is not great at opening up and letting himself be seen as he really is.

Up on the mountain, all that melted away as he melted into Jack's arms in the second tent scene. From that time on, up on the mountain, Ennis was able to be himself, with Jack, freely and openly -- he didn’t know Aguirre had seen anything.

But it's interesting that as soon as he comes down off the mountain, he's hit between the eyes with the realization that that life is over and he's walking on to his new life... he ducks in between some building and breaks down -- he lets his inner conflict come out into the open in dry heaves, anger, and sobbing.

And what happens? Some guy walks by and sees him. Ennis explodes at the guy "What the f--- are you lookin' at? Huh?"

No longer able to open up and freely express himself without fear of being seen. He got triple knocked here.

by - ailuro 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 11:29:40 )

And the way he shields his face with his hat as he kneels.
Poor Ennis, can't get out of his own way.

by - posworth6 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 12:14:52 )

My God, Clancypants; you captured that absolutely pin-point perfectly!

And you made me cry! You cheeky dog, you.

And plus, when he gets Jack alone, he can let his feelings unspill again.

by - patsnnott 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 12:21:13 )

Heath's portrayal of the "walking wounded" was right on.

The only time Ennis is happy is when he is on the mountain, away from his life, and with Jack. He looked "almost happy" at the reunion scene in the apartment and on the steps, but cut to the motel, and he's looking sad again.

by - taj_e 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 12:37:09 )

Heath's portrayal of the "walking wounded" was right on

True. After the final lake scene, the word zombie was in my head

by - clancypants 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 12:50:09 )

"walking wounded" and "zombie"
I like both of these. They really do capture Ennis, don't they?

I ended my original post with:

"No longer able to open up and freely express himself without fear of being seen. He got triple knocked here."

It's also interesting that the next time he opens up freely is when Jack arrives for the reunion. And, sure enough, he's seen -- by Alma... but he doesn’t know it.

Then at the post-divorce scene, Jack and Ennis embrace and as they come apart, Jack holds his hand a little longer around Ennis' neck and wants to continue this (like at the reunion) but Ennis jerks Jack's hand down from his neck and takes Jack over to meet his two girls. Ennis, even out in the middle of nowhere, is afraid of being seen. Here, by his girls, and by the white truck passing by. Here is where Jack gets really clued into what's keeping the two of them apart.

The next time we see Ennis truly open up freely and not put up some kind of a false face is in Jack's closet with the shirts -- alone, in private, with Jack again. For just a split second, Ennis recaptured Brokeback Mountain, but this time it's filled with pain.

by - majikstl 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 13:12:23 )

No longer able to open up and freely express himself without fear of being seen.

Hello Clancy

Very insightful .

I think what you are describing is a marriage, in the truest sense of the word. When two people come together as one. I don't know if it is quite as true with Jack, but certainly Ennis is not complete without Jack by his side. What's the phrase? He completes Ennis. Jack opens up that part of Ennis that otherwise just can't get out, can't be shared. I wouldn't say that Jack is his conscience, more like a part of his subconscious. Jack becomes part of his secret self that he is ashamed to admit exists. Perhaps being with Jack is like being in a dream state; no need to censor or hide feelings.

Just a thought.

by - clancypants 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 13:16:12 )

Yep. I second that.

And the whole thing about Jack being a part of Ennis' subconscious is reinforced by the fact that we often see a person who looks like Jack walk by Ennis, or a truck that looks like Jack's truck drives by Ennis.

by - taj_e 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 13:22:02 )

For just a split second, Ennis recaptured Brokeback Mountain, but this time it's filled with pain

clancypants
We both agreed that the pact was a lie while acknowlegding that love was always there
Do you think that it remains a lie? Even after Jack's death?
Or if they ever renewed their oath, when and where was that?

They never did go back to BBM. In a way I was glad, for it was perfect there and both wanted it that way and I myself feel it should be left that way.
Jack may have 'cursed' it 'that's all we have, f'ng all boy' but didn't deny the fact that he mentioned 'Brokeback got us good, eh?'

And that Ennis had his dry heave and they both had the shirts now. The only tangible things, a proof of what they had on BBM. Would this be the proof that their oath has been renewed?

Friends, if you would like to reply please do
Thanks

by - clancypants 1 day ago (Fri May 19 2006 13:41:33 )

If I'm remembering correctly -- and it's been a while since we posted about this -- I'd go with the renewal idea -- on Ennis' part, in the final scene.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40