Author Topic: Jack, How Could You? -- by litttlewing1957  (Read 2967 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Jack, How Could You? -- by litttlewing1957
« on: June 16, 2007, 03:49:14 am »
REPOST
===============================================================
Jack, How Could You?   
by littlewing1957 (Wed Jun 14 2006 17:59:19 )   

UPDATED Wed Jun 14 2006 18:01:28
When Ennis asks Jack, "You been to Mexico, Jack Twist?" during their fight and Jack responds, "Hell yeah, I been. Is that a beeping problem?" Do you guys think this response is just Jack's anger talking? I feel that Jack's response is rather cold. It is as though he is saying he'll do whatever he wants, be with whomever he wants, and if Ennis objects, well, too bad! I may have posted this in another thread, but I believe it has been deleted. I understand that Jack has reason to be angry with Ennis, especially after he was rejected by him time and again for dang near 20 years. But I think Jack could have been more gentle with Ennis here. Or was his response justified?

Re: Jack, How Could You?   
by daphne7661 (Wed Jun 14 2006 18:37:25 )   

littlewing1957...

I don't think Jack's response was meant to be cold, no. I think Jack had almost 20 years of frustration talking there. Also, in the book, we are privvy to Jack's thoughts when Ennis confronts him about Mexico. It says something to the effect that when Ennis asked about him going to Mexico, he thought, ok, here it is, after all these years, coming back to haunt me, but I'm ready for it now and I won't shy away from it.

I think Jack was desperate for Ennis' attention and/or for Ennis to realize how much Jack loved him and how much he was losing out by not allowing him and Jack to be together.

Jack just wants SOMETHING out of Ennis besides rejection again.

Just my thoughts.....

by littlewing1957 (Wed Jun 14 2006 19:00:25 )   

<<I think Jack was desperate for Ennis' attention and/or for Ennis to realize how much Jack loved him and how much he was losing out by not allowing him and Jack to be together.

Jack just wants SOMETHING out of Ennis besides rejection again>>

Daphne, this is very smart. I never considered that Jack would welcome any sort of attention from Ennis, even hostility. This is very thought provoking. As an aside, I never get tired of talking about this movie, LOL!

by tillerman-1 (Wed Jun 14 2006 18:46:59 )   

I always thought it was more his anger talking. You notice he doesn't really admit to why he went to Mexico, just that he's been. He lets Ennis assume that the reason is because of what Mexico 'has for boys like him'.I think he's just blowing off some of his frustration.
Actually during the whole argument he never admits to it, he just explains a justifiable reasons for going.
I didn't find his response cold. He could have said a lot worse if he had wanted, but even then he didn't want to hurt Ennis.
I wouldn't say Ennis rejected Jack time after time (that seems kinda harsh)just that things were never resolved to his satifaction.

"We could have had a good life together.....but you didn't want it Ennis. So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain, thats all we got boy, F..king all. I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest." Jack Twist

by daphne7661 (Wed Jun 14 2006 18:51:20 )

Ennis loved Jack so deeply, and Jack knew this, but he wanted more... he needed more, and Ennis just couldn't give it. I guess rejection is the wrong word, but you know what I mean....

by littlewing1957 (Wed Jun 14 2006 18:56:16 )   

<<Actually during the whole argument he never admits to it, he just explains a justifiable reasons for going.
I didn't find his response cold. He could have said a lot worse if he had wanted, but even then he didn't want to hurt Ennis.>>

You're right, I did notice that Jack said he had been to Mexico, never mentioning what he did there. Ennis could have taken that admission any way he wanted. You're also right when you say Jack could have said a lot worse. But do you think Jack would have done this? Do you think, knowing Ennis' temper, Jack would have found it better to keep his cool?

by iwritewell (Wed Jun 14 2006 19:00:49 )

ok.. Jack was mad at Ennis , mad that after 20 years they still can't get the *beep* right so he kind of tells him that yeah I need to get laid every now and again and you won't accomidate . Jack felt like he lived thier life by Ennis's rules and he could do what he wanted other wise . Was it anger , HELL YES ! what was his next real line " We could have had a good life together" but ( paraphrase) you turned it into sex in the mountains . and now you want me to be faithful to you physically? Ennis loved Jack but he was fear driven and he was so accepting of unhappiness that he could live on the bits of happiness he never really expected but Jack wanted and felt he deserved better . He had a cold fish of a wife , a job he hated , a father he loved and looked up to that was distant , a father in law that was a piece of ..AHEM .. work , lets say and this man that he loved with all his heart who was scared for life and couldn't believe that you could be gay and alive in his world. So he sought the quick joy he could . and felt justified . Again was it a little cold , sure , ever been angry and hurt the person you were angry at on purpose? Ever blurted out something in anger and frustration? Ennis was divorced and available and still calling the shots . His divorce ( remember how happy Jack was when it came through) seemed to make it harder to see him , not easier . So yes . He was cold , but that was real .

Brie

by littlewing1957 (Wed Jun 14 2006 19:10:07 )

I love your post. You make some very good points, especially when you write,

<<Jack felt like he lived thier life by Ennis's rules and he could do what he wanted other wise . Was it anger , HELL YES ! what was his next real line " We could have had a good life together" but ( paraphrase) you turned it into sex in the mountains . and now you want me to be faithful to you physically?>>

Sex in the mountains? I never thought that Jack would look at it that way, and of course, he had every reason. I'm sure Ennis thought it was more than that, but from Jack's perspective...

Again, great post!

by toycoon (Wed Jun 14 2006 19:40:14 )

It's sad to think Jack might have just thought it was 'sex in the mountains'. Once in a while was all Ennis could afford to give.

by iwritewell (Wed Jun 14 2006 19:57:12 )

NO .. I want to preface this with I love Ennis . Ennis is the posterboy for lost and lovely gay men who are squashed as children by ugliness. BUT ...

Ennis was all about fear. His life was scarred from childhood by his father and he never was able to get ahead of it . He could have gone to Mexico with Jack , to somewhere else but he was terrified to be open. If he could get away for a week in the mountains why not the beach? Jack wanted him to say he loved him , he needed him . He couldn't . The saddest line for me was in the moment when he ( Ennis) realized what Jack was saying and threated him . that was a total moment of shock. He was saying " I need only you and you want sex with other men ? "

Now Jack knew Ennis had feeling for him but sometimes we need to hear that . Need to be told.

by VerdiGuy (Wed Jun 14 2006 21:05:44 )

Is it possible that Jack is trying a new strategy here in his efforts to land something more concrete, more frequent, even more permanent with Ennis?

I mean, the film never shows Jack talking to Ennis about his encounters with other men until this point. The short story even more clearly shows Jack *lying* about such encounters: Ennis directly asks Jack in the motel scene if he's had sex with other men, and Jack says no, only to be contradicted by the narrative voice.

So now that Ennis lays out his suspicions about Mexico, maybe Jack thinks to himself, "All right, the other way hasn't been working ... if I admit I've been seeing other men because I don't get to see Ennis enough, maybe that will scare Ennis into seeing me more often, or maybe even living together the way I've always wanted."

by littlewing1957 (Thu Jun 15 2006 08:34:33 )   

<<So now that Ennis lays out his suspicions about Mexico, maybe Jack thinks to himself, "All right, the other way hasn't been working ... if I admit I've been seeing other men because I don't get to see Ennis enough, maybe that will scare Ennis into seeing me more often, or maybe even living together the way I've always wanted.">>

This is interesting. And I think it may have worked - a bit. Ennis did quit Cassie, and I believe if Jack had lived, Ennis would have at least tried to do better by him. He would have tried to see him more often, perhaps reevaluate what Jack meant to him.

by littlewing1957 (Thu Jun 15 2006 08:38:16 )

<<The saddest line for me was in the moment when he ( Ennis) realized what Jack was saying and threated him . that was a total moment of shock. He was saying " I need only you and you want sex with other men ? ">>

It is one of the saddest moments for me, also. I said this before in another thread, but just imagine the thoughts going through Ennnis' mind, Jack loving some other man, showing him the tenderness that Ennis feels should be reserved for only him. It must have been horrible for Ennis. Even worse, he must have realized that he drove Jack to it!
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Jack, How Could You? -- by litttlewing1957
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 03:54:17 am »
by samrim-1 (Thu Jun 15 2006 06:19:40 )

"We could have had a good life together.....but you didn't want it Ennis. So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain, thats all we got boy, F..king all. I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest." Jack Twist

Thanks a bunch for the quote, set me snivelling again! J***s, that story!

Sam

by littlewing1957 (Thu Jun 15 2006 08:53:02 )

<<Thanks a bunch for the quote, set me snivelling again! J***s, that story!>>

I know, Sam. I guess this is the reason I read so much fanfic. I need an alternative universe. I need to see them together, somhow, someway.

by NewHorizons37 (Mon Jun 19 2006 05:42:37 )   

You notice he doesn't really admit to why he went to Mexico, just that he's been. He lets Ennis assume that the reason is because of what Mexico 'has for boys like him'.I think he's just blowing off some of his frustration.
Actually during the whole argument he never admits to it, he just explains a justifiable reasons for going.

This is interesting, because my sense of that conversation is that Jack does admit to it. Not in those words, no, but so much in this movie is implied, not explicitly stated.

Ennis basically asks him, "Have you been to Mexico? Because if you have, I know what you were doing there." So when Jack says yes, he is admitting he went, and why. He didn't merely "let Ennis assume the reason". He knew what Ennis assumed is the truth, and was admitting to it. That's why he defiantly asks, "is that a *beep* problem?" And his long speech is to justify it.

by taj_e (Wed Jun 14 2006 22:07:11 )

UPDATED Wed Jun 14 2006 22:10:41
hi littlewing
IMO Jack had no reason to 'lie' anymore, infact the final lake scene is about all truths and lies exposed
I realised that this is 'climax' and of course it was
If Brokeback Mountain is 'alive' it is about time it 'erupted'

Jack had been tolerant most of the time. Everytime he brought up suggestions, thoughts of a good life Ennis would easily shoved all of them. The one time Jack actually did erupt was when he said 'if you want to live you f miserable life so be it, I was just thinking out loud'

This time Jack didn't, he got brutal about truth and truth always hurt Ennis (and of course Jack himself). Instead of giving excuses or denying Mexico, Jack admitted it. That was 'how bad it gets', how their relationship isn't going nowhere, how all they had was Brokeback Mountain

No his response wasn't about justifying what he did. He wasn't saying he had reason why he cheated on Ennis. He was telling Ennis that's the truth and had enough about lying to him and to himself. He can't stand it as much as Ennis can't too

And 'how could they' both continue with such relationship?
Ennis dragging himself like a zombie and look forward to the not so often trips. And Jack admitting to it, helplessly. Someone has to stop it, and sadly it 'took' Jack's life to end it

Brokeback Mountain erupted and it stopped. Nothing to 'fear' anymore
'Get along little doggies, get along'

Littlewing, I had the opposite reaction.   
by LauraGigs (Wed Jun 14 2006 22:47:26 )

UPDATED Thu Jun 15 2006 11:29:42
When Jack said "Yeah I been to Mexico — that a f ^ckin' problem?" I was like, Go Jack, go!

Just think: Jack had always acquiesced to Ennis' comfort zone — from the moment they first saw each other in front of Aguirre's trailer! Jack spent over half his life doing this — tiptoeing around Ennis' emotions, ego and fear — for fairly meager emotional rewards. By the lake scene, he'd had it. Now I love the character of Ennis and rooted for him too, but they were at the point where more untruths on Jack's part to spare Ennis' feelings weren't appropriate. Ennis was onto something (with his suspicions about Mexico), asked for the truth, and got it.

Great posts here. "...the final lake scene is about all truths and lies exposed". — Exactly.

by agrawal_alka (Thu Jun 15 2006 03:17:06 )

Someone has to stop it, and sadly it 'took' Jack's life to end it.

Though it was clear that this story could not have a happy ending, it's horribly sad yet somewhat uplifting to realize that the relationship only ended when one of them died.

I think Jack had just had it with tiptoeing around Ennis' fears and finally told Ennis some unwelcome truths. Frankly Ennis had it coming. I realize they're both men, but even they have to talk about their relationship at some point! They'd been going on like this for 20 years...how long could they keep doing this? The last time they'd had a real talk about their future was right after the reunion when Jack was more understanding of Ennis' fears.

by sicnarf60 (Thu Jun 15 2006 06:10:41 )   

I have re-played the lake scene far more than any of the other scenes combined and I haven't really understood why - other than the acting is the best I've ever seen. There's just so much that is revealed in that scene and all of you have mentioned very good points. Although Jack spares Ennis from telling him about his affair with Randall, he does decide to tell him about going to Mexico. I'm quite sure they both understood what Jack does in Mexico because of the statement Ennis makes "I hear what they got in Mexico for boys like you". I think Jack is just so fed up and frustrated with hardly ever getting to see Ennis that he wants to generate some kind of reaction from him that will maybe make Ennis see that once or twice a year is not enough and indeed that is how Jack justifys his trips to Mexico. As I said, Jack does hold back because admitting to having casual sex with hookers is much less hurtfull than finding out about an ongoing love affair. I don't think Jack expected the reaction he ended up getting and I think that's one of the reasons I have watched this scene so many times. Here's Ennis, who maintains an unemotional, unfeeling, tough guy exterior, collapsing to the ground in tears!! That just floored me the very first time I watched this movie. I couldn't believe Ennis falling to his knees in tears like that. I don't think Jack expected the news about Mexico to crush Ennis like it did either. If he had, maybe he wouldn't have admitted to Mexico. Anyway, I just find this scene so incredibly compelling. I'm glad you came up with this question littlewing.
by littlewing1957 (Thu Jun 15 2006 08:50:17 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
This is the scene that sort of defines the entire movie for me. And I don't know exactly why. But whenever I think of BBM (all the time, really) I see Jack and Ennis standing there, fighting but not really fighting. I guess the truly amazing performances, coupled with the fact that these 2 are finally communicating, well, it is compelling. I love this scene!

by taj_e (Mon Jun 19 2006 07:00:09 )   

UPDATED Mon Jun 19 2006 07:02:53
The last time they'd had a real talk about their future was right after the reunion when Jack was more understanding of Ennis' fears

True agrawal but Jack did actually try again and again to no avail
There is another real issue though (other than their future) and there has been discussion why they never really talk about it, about their sexuality being a 'queer'. Ennis had been trying to no avail too

Some blame Jack as not being a good listener as everytime Ennis brought up about, 'Lureen suspects?' 'Have you ever got the feeling that someone knew?' And Jack just shakes his head, 'nope' (Ennis on the other hand always shoved off Jack's notion about their 'future')

And finally Jack said, 'yes I'm a queer, no need to suspect anymore' (when he admitted about Mexico that is)

Ennis got the answer to his question about Jack's sexuality (about his too). And did Jack got his? About their future?

Yes he did. There's no future to their relationship. It isn't going anywhere...

A couple more thoughts   
by LauraGigs (Thu Jun 15 2006 07:35:25 )   

UPDATED Fri Sep 22 2006 08:53:47
"I think Jack could have been more gentle with Ennis here."

If Ennis had phrased his question gently — something like: Listen Jack, somethin I've been wonderin about. You been to Mexico? (In a the same tone of voice in which he asked, You and Lureen. It's normal and all?) Jack would (and should) have answered honestly and gently.

But Ennis asked in a very accusatory, threatening tone. When someone asks a question that way — raising the confrontational level of the conversation — the other is almost obligated to answer at that level. Like a poker game: if one 'raises' the other 'meets'. As in, Oh yeah??? Yeah!!!
Could you picture Jack backing down at that point? He was too angry — I can't really blame him.

"Jack is saying he'll do whatever he wants, be with whomever he wants, and if Ennis objects, well, too bad!"

I don't exactly agree . . . If they'd had a relationship with more contact (and as someone aptly pointed out, more expressiveness from Ennis) Jack would never have thought of seeing anyone else. (Whether this was something Ennis could give is another question.)

Re: A couple more thoughts   
by littlewing1957 (Thu Jun 15 2006 08:47:10 )

<<I don't exactly agree . . . If they'd had a relationship with more contact (and as someone aptly pointed out, more expressiveness from Ennis) Jack would never have even thought of seeing anyone else. (Whether this was something Ennis could give is another question.)>>

No, I don't think Jack is actually saying this, it is just that I felt his response was rather unfeeling. I'm just wondering if it was Jack's anger talking, and perhaps, in the back of his mind he is thinking, "You don't have any papers on me, never even told me how you feel in almost 20 years. I would never even look at another dude if you just be with me, but nooooo!"
Okay, I'm rambling, but you get what I'm saying don't you?

by kalaevans_30126 (Thu Jun 15 2006 08:53:04 )

Bottom Line: Jack had sexual needs and he needed them fulfilled. He loved Ennis and he always have.

by littlewing1957 (Thu Jun 15 2006 09:02:04 )   

And the fact that Jack sought sexual release with others in no way means he didn't love Ennis.

by iwritewell (Thu Jun 15 2006 08:57:15 )

Picture this from Jack's persepective for 20 years the relationship was on Ennis's terms. He could offer ( even himself as in the tent) but Ennis was always the final decision maker . He wouldn't even give him the goodbye he needed after thier first time and faught him on the mountain when he tried to show affection in thier final( they thought) moments alone together. Ennis called the shots . In no time between the two of them was Jack allowed to expect more. He was fed up He lived in Texas and TJ is usually frequented by Texans like it's little Texas but it was clearly years before he finally bit the bullet . . See his face when he finally did go to Mexico ? that was a face that says " screw this !" not " WOOHOO YEAH BABY" .

More over Jack was tired of being Ennis's dirty little secret. That is not a title a person seeks . Jack was willing to be with Ennis , be his and damn the storm and he was rejected , repeatedly. THis was after yet another rejection and the question pulled a " are you crazy?" response out of Jack. If he would have been any kinder , any softer , It would have been fake .

by samrim-1 (Thu Jun 15 2006 12:24:01 )

More over Jack was tired of being Ennis's dirty little secret

I hadn't thought of that, and I admire your comment a lot. I tend to see things from 'poor' Ennis' point of view, but increasingly you, and others are making me see Jack's situation too! All those years of burning tyre rubber to go to Ennis all the time, even in the face of Lureen's criticism, no wonder he eventually cracked. In the book Annie P has Jack say "he was doing all right but he missed Ennis bad enough sometimes to make him whip babies". He couldn't manage on a coupla high altitude *beep* twice a year, like Ennis could. Even here in the North of England I know affaires like that, where one partner's promiscuity is studiously ignored by the less sex-obsessed partner. Much as I love and even pity Ennis, he was totally unfair to Jack wasn't he, even though he apparently couldn't help himself! I wonder too in how many 'straight' relationships the partners have unequal needs, and what pressures that creates.

Sam

This is how bad it was...   
by iwritewell (Thu Jun 15 2006 09:04:28 )   

This is a quick thought ( sorry guys whne i get writing I get thinking) even Jack's wife was wondering why the hell Ennis was so immovable. When your spouse ( who I think suspected but already checked out of thier marriage pretty much) is saying" damn can't your friend come see you ?" it's gotten pretty bad.

Re: This is how bad it was...   
by littlewing1957 (Thu Jun 15 2006 09:12:35 )   

Hey, your thought are great. I really appreciate your posts. Very thoughtful, keep them coming.

I understand what you are saying about Lureen, but Jack explained that rather well, I believe. He told her that Ennis didn't have the means to make a trip to Texas (Ennis barely had a pot to piss in). I think even one trip to Texas would have really hurt Ennis financially, and he was much too proud to have Jack pay his way. But then again, knowing Ennis, he probably wouln't have made the trip even if he did have the means, LOL!

by beeplebrain (Thu Jun 15 2006 09:56:10 )   

knowing Ennis, he probably wouln't have made the trip even if he did have the means"

sadly, little wing, this statement really rings clear. everything about ennis' life was a blanket for him to hide behind.. if it wasn't his wife, it was his daughters..if it wasn't his daughters, it was the money.. ennis was afraid and, no matter what, be would never have done for jack what he wanted because of it.. :(

by littlewing1957 (Thu Jun 15 2006 10:10:30 )   

Yes, and I think this shows that Ennis was depressed. A lot of people disagree, but he displayed all the classic signs. I know I am getting OT, here, but Ennis didn't want to do anything. He woudn't improve his financial situation, he didn't want to go anywhere, do much of anything. His trips with Jack once or twice a year were his joy, but he was even conflicted about that!

by patsnnott (Thu Jun 15 2006 10:33:58 )

Of course Ennis was depressed. He said, "when you have nothing, you don't need nothing". He had a major emotional trauma as a child, and we are lead to believe from his statements about the event that his father could have been the culprit. That type of parenting will screw up a person, then pile on the abandonment issues, (his parent's death, his brother and sister leaving him on his own), his poverty and lack of social interaction and education, his lack of job skills, etc. He was "nothing, nowhere" for a long time before he expressed it to Jack. Ennis is a major therapy case. I'm not a psychologist or therapist, but I have read a lot of books about dysfunction and co dependency issues, and Ennis's childhood had all the triggers. Then he finds out he's got homosexual feelings. That must have been the thing to really turn him inside himself.

...yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

by iwritewell (Thu Jun 15 2006 10:21:14 )

Ennis was gay (I say this becuase alot of people try to make it out that Ennis only slept with Jack because he was not really gay but a victim) and , silent and sensitive , probably from childhood. You know that because it is NOT NORMAL for a father to show his sons ( sons only BTW) what happens when you are gay and in Montana. His father more than likely noticed his soft spoken sensitive son and say" oh Hell" and saught to put that fear in him. That fear followed him and he was steeped in it all his life . so yes , he never could be open and honest . would not have ever given Jack the " time " he needed . His last reasons for denial were coming to an end as the girls were nearly adults. WE CAN ONLY SPECULATE WHAT WAS GOING TO BE THE NEW REASON WHY NOT.

by samrim-1 (Sat Jun 17 2006 11:39:08 )   

That fear followed him and he was steeped in it all his life .

hello jwritewell, I hadn't thought of it, but your probably right. Ennis childhood sensitivity had been warped by his btutal (or inept anyway) father, so his lifelong fear left him always needing excuses not to do things. And too his inertia, and unwillingness to act positively, does sound like the action of a sad lonely depressive doesn't it. Best Wishes, Sam

by sicnarf60 (Thu Jun 15 2006 10:37:37 )

Sometimes when I watch this movie I get so angry at Ennis. I mean ok, he had his upbringing to contend with but come on. Jack was always so there for him and surely he knew that Jack loved him. I never stay angry with Ennis for very long because I can only imagine how difficult the whole situation must have been. I'm a straight female who grew up in the 60's and 70's and I don't ever remember even hearing about same sex attraction - there was no such thing back then. Of course it existed but it must have been so well hidden that it seemed like it didn't exist - it wasn't at all in the main stream of things. So I have no direct experience to go on even though I was around in those days, therefore, I can only imagine how bad it must have been for the both of them. Anyway, this lake scene has always bothered me because of the look on Jack's face at the end of the scene. What does that look mean? I really try hard to believe that he was not going to quit Ennis.

by go76 (Thu Jun 15 2006 11:16:28 )

I really try hard to believe that he was not going to quit Ennis.

This look bothered me too. Quitting Ennis? IMO - Never. I think he quited only on his illusions there could be EVER, ANYTHING enough to give, to sacrifice, to devote just to make Ennis want be with him in the real life, beyond their fishing trips.

He was giving up. On his hope someday to have a life with the one he loves. On idea his love would be able - and enough! - to beat Ennis' old ghosts and fears. On the illusion Ennis will admit what they got IS love. On desire to hear at least once "I love you", or "I don't care how things might look, only YOU matter", or at least once he to come first - before all other circumstances. And most of all, on the fallacy that love conquers all. Jack was giving up on evrything he made us loving him - his jolly, his hopefulness, his unbeatable faith in this Ennis and he actualy COULD make it together FOR REAL.

He was giving up on everything, but never giving up on Ennis. For the last 20 years he has built his life around Ennis, despite living so far away. It was the only constant core of his schedule, the only unchagable settlement, the only reservaton never to be cancelled. Giving up on Ennis would've be like giving up on life. Your life might not be what you've wanted, but is the only way for you to be... alive...

"If you can't fix it, Jack, you've got to stand it". And he did learn his lesson well. "As long as we can ride it" was a metaphor for "forever".

So he did.

God, I needed a cigarette after that. And I don't even smoke.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 03:57:27 am »
by littlewing1957 (Thu Jun 15 2006 11:26:23 )   

You're right, Jack gave up, but not on Ennis. I mean, Jack knew that Ennis could never give what he needed, so he gave up on life. I have heard others say this, and I truly believe it - Jack got careless after the last trip, and probably didn't mind if he ended up dead in a ditch somewhere. Life didn't mean much if he couldn't have the love of his life. This is just my take.

by dly64 (Thu Jun 15 2006 12:15:19 )   

The short story is very similar to the screenplay during this scene, but adds some additional insight:

Like vast clouds of steam from thermal springs in winter the years of things unsaid and now unsayable -- admissions, declarations, shames, guilts, fears -- rose around them. Ennis stood as if heart-shot, face grey and deep-lined, grimacing, eyes screwed shut, fists clenched, legs caving, hit the ground on his knees.

....they torqued things almost to where they had been, for what they said was no news. Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved.

He may have gone on to live with another man, but not out of love ... only out of need and loneliness. Both Ennis and Jack were the love of each others' lives. Therein lies the tragedy of this story! They loved each other and had no way to deal with it.

Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em" - Ennis, BBM

I think it's possible that Jack was using Ennis's jealousy to try and provoke some kind of emotional reaction. He needed to know that Ennis still cared about him, so he tried to goad him into saying how he felt.

There are two things I will not tolerate: ignorance and intolerance!

by kalaevans_30126 (Thu Jun 15 2006 11:26:29 )   

Thats what I think. IMO, if Jack hadn't died I'm sure he would've met up with Ennis and be very blunt. I think he would've said "look, there's this guy and he wants to have a life with me, so this is your last chance to decide will you have a life with me, because if you don't I'm going to try and move on with this other guy". I think Ennis would've dropped everything and be with Jack. He was only happy those few times he was with Jack and we all know he couldn't even bear the thought of never seeing Jack again.

by daphne7661 (Thu Jun 15 2006 11:46:12 )   

This discussion brings me to one of the most poignant and forlorn scenes in the movie.

Ennis sitting alone in the bus station diner eating his little piece of apple pie.

I start crying the minute this scene starts. Ennis is so darn sad and contemplative, he is a million miles away, and it always makes me wonder what he is really thinking or what might Jack have said to him after he finished consoling Ennis but before Ennis drove off to go home....

We know he is confronted by Cassie and explains to her (as best Ennis can explain anything to anyone) that she's not the answer for him or for her, and we know that his thoughts are clearly with Jack and how that relationship has structured their lives up to this point....

I think, perhaps, he is at a crossroads here. He knows he can't go backwards, but he is still afraid to go forwards. I feel like his "lightbulb" moment doesn't happen until he finds the shirts. But it's too late by a long stretch by then...

So sad.....

by coffeecat33 (Thu Jun 15 2006 18:31:53 )   

Totally justified. I think they were both wound up so tight, so frustrated by being totally complete while on the mountain and so totally INcomplete when off the mountain that neither were thinking, planning or plotting. Just reacting with bare emotions. Interesting that Ennis accusses Jack of going to Mexico to be with guys like himself (like Ennis isn't the same!) and gets so jealous that he explodes at the thought of Jack with another man. But neither seem to be jealous at all of their other women/wives. Another interesting scene when Ennis says he's been "puttin' the blocks" to a waitress and Jack lies and said he was seeing a rancher's wife, rather than the rancher himself. Was he trying to appear "normal" to Ennis, as when he said "me neither" to being gay.

by iwritewell (Sun Jun 18 2006 18:55:18 )

Ennis loved Jack . Ennis loved Jack for a longtime . Before the sex , he started to love him , how do we know this , he spoke to Jack , something that was as hard for him as skydiving is to most of us , possible yes , but terrifying . He told him he was a virgin , because that's something a 19 year old boy tells his peers willingly right? But Ennis was scared and he was so used to his fear he was unable to get away from it .
Ennis viewed Jack's " infedelity " as total betrayal of the love he had for him and was unable to express. Ennis offerd his like a gift but to Jack it was poor repayment for him trying to raise above the fear . It was after the divorce thar Jack went to mexico . After his lover rejected him for no understandable reason . After he realized that he would never be more to him , he gave into his baser urges.
Now to the question " Was he trying to appear "normal" to Ennis, as when he said "me neither" to being gay."

No .. there was a comfort level that could only be maintained when Ennis was on this line . He couldn't admit his feelings . he couldn't admit he was excited by Jack even to jack , Calling it " This thing " like it was a virus . He became increasingly troubled when Jack tried to show affection or care too often or in earnest Jack was ok with himself but he knew that Ennis was not . He had to handle him with kid gloves .. It was an Ennis thing .

by panam231 (Sun Jun 18 2006 19:29:52 )

WOW iwritewell, never seen it that way before till i read your post, this movie is amazing......

by littlewing1957 (Sun Jun 18 2006 19:39:52 )

<<this movie is amazing......>>

How right you are. I just watched it for probably the 100th time and it is nothing short of magical. Such a beautiful jewel of a film.

by dly64 (Mon Jun 19 2006 07:58:19 )   

Ennis viewed Jack's " infedelity " as total betrayal of the love he had for him and was unable to express. Ennis offerd his like a gift but to Jack it was poor repayment for him trying to raise above the fear . It was after the divorce thar Jack went to mexico . After his lover rejected him for no understandable reason . After he realized that he would never be more to him , he gave into his baser urges.

I agree with much of what you say, but I have a slightly different point of view. The short story and the written screenplay sheads light on this and other scenes. It is obvious that Ennis was faithful to Jack (i.e. he never had sexual relations with another male). The short story makes it rather clear that, during their four year break, Jack was with other men (he was "riding more than bulls"). I do think that Jack was faithful to Ennis, however, until the scene whereby Jack's dream of having a life with Ennis came crashing down. Out of frustration and need, he went to Mexico.

When Jack says to Ennis, "I did once," this is no news to Ennis. This is something he has known. However, to actually hear it was devasting for Ennis. Even after Ennis breaks down and says he "can't stand this anymore, Jack" ... they still haven't ended anything.

Diane

by taj_e (Mon Jun 19 2006 08:09:04 )   

Diane hi
We were not given any hints though that Ennis suspected Jack's infidelity
As viewers, we knew, but not Ennis

by littlewing1957 (Mon Jun 19 2006 08:34:30 )

<<It is obvious that Ennis was faithful to Jack (i.e. he never had sexual relations with another male).>>

It is obvious to us, but how was Jack so sure that Ennis never cheated with another man?

by taj_e (Mon Jun 19 2006 08:47:44 )   

littlewing
Jack understood Ennis fear, perhaps understood it too well, Ennis won't even considering frequent trips than they already had, which is not frequent at all

Ennis was on the other hand can't even imagine Jack with another man, it was more than just jealously (when Mexico was mentioned), it was his worst fear

by littlewing1957 (Mon Jun 19 2006 08:56:12 )

UPDATED Mon Jun 19 2006 08:57:17
So Jack understood that Ennis was too afraid to have an affair with another man because he would have been labeled queer and perhaps killed? Or was it because Jack was the only man for him? Perhaps both? I have asked this before, but I always wonder how Jack would have felt if he discovered Ennis had a male lover. Who knows, Jack may have felt that Ennis cheated by being with Cassie.

by taj_e (Mon Jun 19 2006 09:50:36 )   

Yes that's how well Jack understood Ennis and above all of course Jack knew Ennis loved him and him alone (although some actually said Jack had doubted Ennis' love, that if Ennis really loved him)

If Ennis were to cheat on him (which obviously never lol), Jack would have been devasted the same but not the same approach or understanding like Ennis had. Remember Jack wasn't that 'fearful' or rather in denial about his sexuality
And no, Jack knew about Cassie, Ennis told him which Jack understood as 'normal' or rather Jack knew Ennis too well that he is gay/queer and Cassie was just a 'cover-up'. Furthermore if Jack were to be jealous, we should have seen it earlier with Alma

by littlewing1957 (Mon Jun 19 2006 10:00:19 )

<<If Ennis were to cheat on him (which obviously never lol), Jack would have been devasted the same but not the same approach or understanding like Ennis had. Remember Jack wasn't that 'fearful' or rather in denial about his sexuality>>

I think it would have been over if Jack found Ennis with another man. But then again, Jack being so loving and forgiving, he may have tried to work things out!

by dly64 (Mon Jun 19 2006 09:40:49 )   

<<It is obvious that Ennis was faithful to Jack (i.e. he never had sexual relations with another male).>>

It is obvious to us, but how was Jack so sure that Ennis never cheated with another man?

Because Jack knew Ennis - he knew him very well. Ennis was homophobic (even though Ennis, himself, was gay). Ennis would have never approached another man because he was so fearful about retribution. Ennis was also afraid of his own feelings ... he could hardly open his mouth to speak, let alone acknowledge his attaction to another male. The only reason why Ennis let his gaurd down with Jack on Brokeback is because he was intoxicated and was out in the middle of nowhere.

When Jack thinks back to when they were on the mountain and Ennis came behind him and held him close ... this was a moment of sexless emotional contentment. The book and screenplay states that nothing marred this memory even though he (Jack) knew that Ennis would not embrace him face to face because he did not want to acknowledge that it was Jack he was holding. It is obvious to Jack, as well as the audience, that Ennis would never cheat with another man.

The tragedy of this whole story is that they both love each other in a way that they could never love anyone else. Jack would have given up everything to be with Ennis. Ennis didn't want to love Jack because Jack was a man, but he did anyway. I don't think that Ennis came to grips with his love for Jack until Jack was gone.

Diane

by littlewing1957 (Mon Jun 19 2006 09:51:53 )   

<<The book and screenplay states that nothing marred this memory even though he (Jack) knew that Ennis would not embrace him face to face because he did not want to acknowledge that it was Jack he was holding. It is obvious to Jack, as well as the audience, that Ennis would never cheat with another man.>>

I hate to nitpick here, but I have read the book several times (I think the short story is genius) but I just wonder how Jack truly knew that Ennis only held him from the back because Ennis didn't want to acknowledge that he was holding a man. Perhaps Ennis held him from the back because he was in back of him to begin with, and he just didn't take the trouble to face Jack, or turn Jack around to face him. Ennis didn't have to hold Jack at all if he felt this way. Just my POV and I hope I'm making sense.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 04:54:44 am »
What Brie said...way back then. Sometimes I think Jack was about half as mad as I was!

When I grabbed your coat
so you wouldn't run away----
thought I was a monk?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters