Author Topic: Funny Flaws -- by morgant6911  (Read 2838 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Funny Flaws -- by morgant6911
« on: June 16, 2007, 06:45:01 pm »

REPOST (What begins as a seemingly trollish post, take a humorous turn as the BbM message board's cast of regulars jump in!)

===============================================================
Funny Flaws   
by morgant6911 20 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 10:17:38 )

1. The aging process: Since when does growing a mustache age someone 20 years? Secondly, they could have made at least SOME attempt to make them look older. The time flies by in this movie, they their clothing stays the same for decades at a time. Are we supposed to buy that Ledger and Jake are well into their 40's?

2. The last scene where Ledger and Jake see each other, Jake goes from having a mustache, to shaved, to mustached again. I liked that quite a bit.

Please list more, as these were a couple of the blatently obvious ones.

Re: Funny Flaws   
by Rontrigger 20 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 10:21:27 )   

1. Jack grew that mustache between the post-divorce scene (spring 1976) and the Thanksgiving scene (fall 1977). He'd had it for six or seven years by the time they last saw each other. And they weren't "well into their 40's" by then--they were both 39.

2. Perhaps if you'd watch it again, you'd realize that what you saw was a flashback to the summer when they met.

"You can't have Ennis without Jack."--Annie Proulx

by morgant6911 20 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 10:30:00 )

UPDATED Wed Dec 13 2006 10:31:39
1. Ledger did not age one bit. Not at all, during a 20 year span.
2. You may be right, I wasn't really paying attention at this point. Next time it is on HBO, I will double check.

by NewHorizons37 19 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 11:25:05 )

UPDATED Wed Dec 13 2006 11:27:39
Ledger did not age one bit. Not at all, during a 20 year span.

He certainly did. It is subtle, but look at him in a scene from the summer on BBM, then look at him in the final scenes, with the Twists or looking at the shirts in his trailer. There is a marked difference. His hair is different, and he looks subtly older, as if his skin has gotten weathered over the years.

Maybe you were expecting more of a difference since you mistakenly thought they were well into their 40s at the end of the film. Nope, Ennis would be 39 at the end of the movie. The movie did well at making him look older, but not old.

And the fact that scene you thought was a goof, is not. It is a flashback, has already been mentioned. Jake's moustache in the present-day scenes is one of many clues that the scene by the fire when he is clean-shaven, is a different time period.

by ClancyPantsDelMar 18 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 12:27:07 )

Hi everyone --

I know you have all answered the OP quite well, but I just have to jump in.

Hi morgant6911 --

"1. The aging process: Since when does growing a mustache age someone 20 years?"

The purpose of Jack growing the moustache was NOT to make him appear older. It is to keep the character of film-Jack in line with the characterization of short-story-Jack as written by the author, Annie Proulx. An important aspect of the short story is that Jack changes over time, acclimating himself to his new lifestyle in Texas; whereas, Ennis does not change. The short story lists several ways that Jack changed, growing a moustache is one of them. The filmmakers chose to remain true to the story.

"Secondly, they could have made at least SOME attempt to make them look older. The time flies by in this movie, they their clothing stays the same for decades at a time."

This is incorrect. Ennis' clothing stays very much the same because he is dirt-poor. Jack's clothing (and his trucks, btw) change significantly over time because he has come into money. Again, the filmmakers remained true to the characterizations developed by the author.

"Are we supposed to buy that Ledger and Jake are well into their 40's?"

No. The last time we see either of them, each is approximately 39 years old. Take a look at some close-ups of Ennis' face from the mountain time and from the final lake scene collapse. Compare them side-by-side. The subtlety of the aging is quite impressive.

"2. The last scene where Ledger and Jake see each other, Jake goes from having a mustache, to shaved, to mustached again. I liked that quite a bit."

I do not mean to be disrespectful, but I have never understood how anyone did not know this was a flashback on a first viewing. I'm sorry... I know there are a number of confirmed, old-time, regular Brokies who did not. But, the contrasts are so glaring, I, personally, don’t understand missing it. (I said I was sorry.)

Anyway, OP, please re-watch the movie. There is a lot more to get out of it. It is very richly textured and multi-layered.

by shortfic 18 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 12:51:25 )

I thought the aging showed up a lot in and around their eyes. Ennis's eyes look narrower at the end. Maybe from all those years of squinting while working in the sun?
Ennis is also around 39 or 40, but he looks older than that. Again, it's from all those years of backbreaking labor and no real vacations except for those occasional fishing trips.

"Say thank you, Gilbert. Say thank you."

by latjoreme 18 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 13:14:45 )   

UPDATED Wed Dec 13 2006 13:37:08
Let's think of some other funny flaws. Like:

Ennis and Jack supposedly went on all these fishing trips. Wouldn't it have been more believable if the movie had included a scene or two of them fishing? You would think they weren't really going there to fish.

Toward the end, Jack tells Ennis he's been seeing a ranch neighbor's wife -- but isn't he supposed to be gay? Or has he been fooling Ennis all along? It's like the movie can't make up its mind.

In Jack's closet, I noticed two shirts that were accidentally hung on the same hanger. And then later, I saw the same thing in Ennis' closet. The props people should have been a little more careful.

by daphne7661 17 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 13:24:05 )   

UPDATED Wed Dec 13 2006 13:45:01
...and what's wrong with that script girl/guy?! They had Ennis saying he was sick of beans, when we see him clearly enjoying his beans in a later scene. Sheesh!

...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

by tiffanykk2002 17 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 13:35:26 )

LoL @latjoreme good ones!

Honestly though I think the aging could have been somewhat more distinguishable. In fact it took me a while to realize just how much time had passed because they pretty much looked the same to me. They did put some subtle aging lines on the characters and of course the moustaches. Still Jack for instance came off a little boyish toward the end of his life. I didn't see a 39yr old man.
I didn't even notice how old Ennis came to look until the final scene with his hat off.
The OP might be a little confused about a couple of things but, I understand them on this subject.

by ClancyPantsDelMar 17 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 13:41:39 )   

Hi latjoreme and daphne7661 --

LMAO! I love it. All very good.

The thing I could never understand is when Ennis said he left his shirt up on the mountain, why didn’t Jack just give it back to him then, hunh? Was he plannin' on warshing it and having it delivered? Hunh?

by richardg49 8 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 22:33:07 )

Clancey, that's forgiveable, but why did Annie Proulx and the scriptwriters not make it so that it was a guy and a girl who spent the summer herding sheep alone up on Brokeback, fell into good old (heterosexual) love, and spent the rest of their lives living happily ever after? So much more believable than two guys, surely.

by sokeyt 20 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 10:31:13 )

2. The last scene where Ledger and Jake see each other, Jake goes from having a mustache, to shaved, to mustached again. I liked that quite a bit.

It's a flashback!!!!!

by oilgun 20 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 10:56:08 )   

UPDATED Wed Dec 13 2006 13:29:03
1- I thought the aging process was done quite well, although the brillo pad sideburns were a bit much. Like the film makers' said there isn't that much of difference between ages twenty and forty. The subtle make-up was fine, especially Ennis' later leathery skin. I thought Heath was very believable as Kate Mara's father in the last scene. If anything, Jack looked older than 40 when we last see him but I guess that could be explained by his rodeo injuries.

2- As others have noted: Flashback!!

The only thing I can add is the disappearing log in the scene where Aguirre rides to the camp to tell Jack that his uncle has pneumonia. You see Jack place a log on the stump and while he's talking to Aguirre, the log disappears. Not a big deal, but I was looking forward to a DVD commentary to see if it would be mentioned. It's a pretty obvious continuity error and I wondered how they would explain its inclusion.

))<>((
forever.

Re: Funny 'Flaws'? I don't think so!   
by tomtrueman 19 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 11:21:38 )   

I've read where make-up experts had commented that the aging was very subtle but well done. A little touch of greying here and there, getting a little stiffer, and the crinkles around Ennis's eyes the growing paunch on Jack certainly added to the effect.

To the OP, MOST men had moustaches in the late '70s and early '80s, and it wasn't to make him look older, it was to make him look like he probably would have looked back then. (I can remember when some self-appointed fashion expert decreed that moustaches were now "out" and all the lemmings were shaving them off right left and centre, and the effect was EXACTLY like castration. Huge mistake!)

And it's amazing how many people think that was a "continuity problem" when Jack's moustache "came and went". Give the film makers a little credit. They wouldn't miss something that obvious. When you watch it again, notice that Jack has a moustache the last time they say goodbye, and as Ennis DRIVES OFF in his truck, Jack remembers a happier time, when he (without moustache) watches him RIDE OFF on his horse, before he's back to the present (with moustache), as he sadly watches him disappear, again in his truck. It's the last time he'll ever see him.

As for the log "continuity problem" that some people talk about, if you've ever chopped wood, you'll know that the bottom of the log is often not smooth and the chopping surface is not level or even. It's not surprising at all that Jack could put the log up to chop, and then while he's talking to Aguirre, it could just topple over and fall off. Not surprising at all.

by dav0001 17 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 13:51:47 )

Well, I have to jump in here and agree with the Op here. The first time I watched and they showed the flashback I was confused also. So apparently it's not as obvious to everyone as some people think it should be.

by Rontrigger 17 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 13:52:20 )

UPDATED Wed Dec 13 2006 13:53:09
Hi, Tom:

I think what may throw a lot of people (including myself) who watch Jack place the log up on that stump is that it seems to be standing pretty securely as he backs off and Aguirre rides up. But I guess the slightest vibration could have brought it tumbling down (behind the stump, where we can't see it).

Nice to have an explanation of this; I always found it puzzling.

"You can't have Ennis without Jack."--Annie Proulx

by oilgun 16 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 14:37:20 )   

As for the log "continuity problem" that some people talk about, if you've ever chopped wood, you'll know that the bottom of the log is often not smooth and the chopping surface is not level or even. It's not surprising at all that Jack could put the log up to chop, and then while he's talking to Aguirre, it could just topple over and fall off. Not surprising at all.

Well, Tom that's what I try telling myself everytime I watch the movie, "the log must have fallen over" but it just doesn't work, lol! That log looks too secure sitting on that stump. In any event whether it fell or not, to me it still looks like a "continuity problem".

))<>((
forever.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Funny Flaws -- by morgant6911
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 07:09:09 pm »
by tomtrueman 13 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 17:34:16 )

As I saw it, when Jack turned around, I thought he might have knocked it off accidentally. Or the breeze might have toppled it. But I do know that I've had a log just topple over on its own, just as I was about to chop it, because the surfaces aren't even.

Sometimes I think people get too obsessed with insignificant details, though -- like claiming that a song that was being listened to wasn't actually released till two weeks later, or some such minor quibble.

If it's a really glaring error, like I've seen listed on the Internet, it can be quite funny. But to me, minor details just make the movie seem more real and human.

by morgant6911 16 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 14:26:34 )   

"Like the film makers' said there isn't that much of difference between ages twenty and forty"

If you believe this, you are an idiot.

by tomtrueman 13 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 17:40:34 )   

Well, here's a flash: When you're twenty, forty may seem like it's doddering old age.

But when you hit forty (which will happen WAY sooner than you expect, by the way), you don't feel like you've changed at all -- and twenty sure doesn't seem like it was all that long ago. It will seem like only yesterday.

If anything, I thought Jack and Ennis looked too old at the beginning, but I thought they both looked 39 at the end.

The script: age-inappropriate for the kids   
by LauraGigs 13 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 17:56:02 )   

To me the age-related problems in the film were with the kids:

- Ennis talks of taking the girls into town for an ice cream — when Jenny is an infant and Jr. looks 1 1/2.

- Not much later, he tells the bikers to pipe down because "I got 2 lil' girls here", when they're way too young to understand. (They needed to pipe down anyway but it's just a strange line, IMO)

- Jack & Lureen talk of a tutor for Bobby when he's too young for one. (Doesn't a scene that's supposed to be a few years later still have him in a high chair?)

by oilgun 11 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 19:31:38 )

If you believe this, you are an idiot.

I know you are, but what am I?

))<>((
forever.

by madamebrad 15 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 15:20:43 )   

I thought they did a fairly good job with the makeup. Sometimes, it is too subtle and it looks fake. But, I'm glad they didn't go over the top and use prosthetics or gray wigs, etc. That would have been disappointing.

I think Ennis looked older, definitely, throughout the film. I noticed subtle things, like more lines on his lips and around his mouth.

But, Jack was just still sort of puppy-faced throughout, and I had a hard time buying into his character as being 40 something at the end. He still looked like early 30s, to me, even when he had the moustache.

Regardless, the acting more than compensated for the slight suspension of disbelief required with the aging of the characters.

And, I agree. 40 is no 20. (Wish it was!)

by Shasta254 13 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 17:23:22 )   

The first time I watched, I knew that there was a flashback. I just didn't know WHEN it took place. ClancyPDM set me straight on that one---that it took place after the guys had separated the Chilean sheep from Aquirre's sheep. That's why Jack's so tired.

OMG--Look at Jack's face when he is watching Ennis ride off from the flashback and then look at his face when he's watching Ennis drive away from the lake. He has sooo aged.

AND--look at Ennis when he is in the river washing dishes and he looks up the mountain to see Jack riding to the sheep--then look at him when he is in the trailer looking at the 2 shirts. He LOOKS like he has aged at least 20 years! He looks a little older than 39 evem. I also noticed a lot of freckles (or age spots) while he is sitting at the table in the Twist house.

If anything, they never look quite as young as 19 to me, but they seemed to age appropriately up to 39.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

by djo-17 12 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 19:04:26 )   

Shasta: I found the whole "aging process" very well done. I did find that at the beginning they both seemed a bit older than nineteen, but, in view of their upbringing, both on hard-scrabble ranches, this could be a reason for them "maturing" sooner than a lot of other nineteen year olds. Ennis, really shows his age. I first really noticed it, in the post-divorce scene, where you can see the more "care-worn" face, plus the side-burns. Jack, at this point is showing his age as well, but Jake's "puppy eyes" always seem to "shine through", and give the impression of youth, although the sideburns do help to show him aging, as well. As far as the "Lake Scene" is concerned, you can see the years catching-up with both of them. "They were no longer young men with all of it before them." as Annie says in the short story.

Ennis almost looked older than his thirty-nine years, and Jack looked a "young" thirty-nine. This is not entirely unusal, and please don't laugh too hard at this, but I have been mistaken for being about thirty-eight to forty. I'm actually fifty-three. One way I know this, is at the bar, all the "cougars" seem to hit on me pretty regularly when they are there. lol
Sometimes I feel like fifty-three, other times, like I'm thirty-five. What can I say? Age is all relative, anyway. (My younger buddies' "affectionate" nickname for me is: "Grandpa".) lol

Back to Ennis and Jack, I think that their "aging" was pretty consistent with the story. Even if not all the details are perfect, I still found it believable enough. In the "Lake Scene", when Jack is standing on the rise, above Ennis, and says: "You used to come away easy, now it's like seein' the pope", I can see the age in his demeanour and in his face. His "puppy eyes" are still there, though, so he does look like a "young" thirty-nine. BTW, I had a boss years ago, who had silver-grey hair, and no one could figure out his actual age. He was younger than he looked, but would never reveal is actual age to anyone.

Another, very subtle thing I noticed, is that both of their voices seem to have changed somewhat. They definitely don't have that same sound of, "youthful", energy, if you will.

As with all the other aspects of this movie, I feel that there was an outstanding job done, in the "aging" of Ennis and Jack.

Doug O'Connor

by dav0001 10 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 20:46:30 )   

People age differently so saying that someone didn't look the right age is a bit of a generality. I looked a heck of alot younger then I was most of my life. Up till my mid-fortied people were still saying I was in my late twenties. So one charector in a movie aged better then another, no big deal. By the way, time has finally caught up with me and I really want a face lift badly.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 07:11:47 pm »
by ClancyPantsDelMar 9 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 21:22:32 )

UPDATED Wed Dec 13 2006 21:22:53
Hi everyone --

I'm over 70 and I don't look a day older than 69... Seriously.

by littlewing1957 8 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 22:40:06 )   

<<Hi everyone --

I'm over 70 and I don't look a day older than 69... Seriously.>>

by richardg49 8 hours ago (Wed Dec 13 2006 22:55:15 )   

I'm over 40, and only look a decade older than 60!!
Any advance on that?

by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix 2 hours ago (Thu Dec 14 2006 04:21:50 )

CPDM wrote: I'm over 70 and I don't look a day older than 69... Seriously.

And I know your beauty secret.....

...Lanolin. (Hence your interest in sheep... ) 

by daphne7661 2 hours ago (Thu Dec 14 2006 05:04:18 )   

djo-17 wrote: Another, very subtle thing I noticed, is that both of their voices seem to have changed somewhat. They definitely don't have that same sound of, "youthful", energy, if you will.

Hi Doug,

I don't recall where I heard it, or perhaps read it, but Ang Lee said that he wanted their age to show up in their voices as well as their appearance, and that there was a dialect/speech coach on set who gave each of them three levels of voices. One for 19, one for around 30 and another for 39...

At one point, as it was told, during the filming of a later scene, one of the ass't. directors or speech coaches reminded Ang that the voice at 39 (I think it was Jake's) had lapsed to his 19 year-old voice, and so they had to re-shoot the scene with the 39 year-old Jack voice.

Now that's good attention to detail.

...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

by latjoreme 4 minutes ago (Thu Dec 14 2006 07:11:45 )

I don't recall where I heard it, or perhaps read it, but Ang Lee said that he wanted their age to show up in their voices as well as their appearance, and that there was a dialect/speech coach on set who gave each of them three levels of voices. One for 19, one for around 30 and another for 39...

Wow, Daphne, that's interesting. I hadn't heard that. Now I want to go watch the movie again, listening for that.

Back to appearance for a minute. What I'm most amazed by is not how old they look in later scenes, but how YOUNG they look in earlier scenes. Outside Aguirre's office and in the bar and sometimes even on Brokeback, they actually seem to look younger than they do in real life!

by merr7242   (Mon May 7 2007 13:48:39 )   

Thank you TOoP for sharing those threads. Interesting.

MERR

Jack, I swear...... [Ennis Del Mar]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 07:12:51 pm »
  by merr7242   (Mon May 7 2007 14:03:43 )

BTW here are some of the "goofs" that are located on IMDb:

Crew or equipment visible: When Ennis tells Alma that he and Jack are going fishing, he hands Alma Jr. to her. While in her mother's arms, Junior's pajama top hikes up and you can see her microphone cord.

Continuity: Jack is chopping wood when Aguirre approaches to give news of his sick uncle. Jack places the next log on the chopping block as he turns to speak to Aguirre. After the conversation is over and Jack turns back to chopping, the log is gone and he replaces the log that was never chopped.

Anachronisms: When Cassie dances with Ennis the first time, the jukebox is playing Steve Earle's "The Devil's Right Hand". In the movie it is set in the late-'70s, but that song wasn't released until his album Copperhead Road came out in 1988. Steve Earle wrote the song in the late 70's. It was one of his earliest. There are two versions. The raw, less produced version with a young Steve Earle appears in the movie version. It was released on an album called early tracks in 1987. The studio enhanced version appeared on Copperhead Road in 1988.

Factual errors: Early in the film (1963, Wyoming) a train is seen crossing the screen without a caboose. Cabooses were required by law on all trains into the 1980s.

Continuity: During Jack's first and second bull rides, his free hand alternates several times from being his left or right hand. Since he's obviously not letting go to switch hands, either some shots are flipped or the sequence is edited from several takes.

Continuity: When Ennis and Alma are playing in the snow after sledding down the mountain, Ennis's hat is covering/not covering his ears between shots.

Anachronisms: When Ennis was driving his daughter Alma home from the bar where Alma and his waitress girlfriend have met, along the path in the background was a Dodge Neon. This can be seen through the window. Alongside the Dodge Neon was a RV or trailer car. These had not been introduced yet.

Anachronisms: When Ennis gets into a fight in front of the bar after leaving Alma's house on Thanksgiving, the "Budweiser" neon light in the window of the bar is one of the newer logos. The italic logo was introduced in the late 1990s.

Continuity: When Jack is in Mexico, the same boy (in a blue striped shirt) runs behind him twice.

Continuity: When Ennis and Jack are fighting on the hill, the day they leave, and Jack knees Ennis in the nose, he gets up to help him. He puts his hands on Ennis' shoulders, but in the next shot, his right wrist is being used to soak up the blood from Ennis' bloody nose.

Anachronisms: Leading up to the argument that sparks the Del Mar divorce, Ennis is lounging on the couch watching an episode of Kojak and Alma states that it is Saturday night. Kojak didn't air on Saturday nights until its 5th season (Fall '77 to Spring '78) and the judge reveals to us that the Del Mar divorce takes place on November 6th, 1975.

Anachronisms: Ennis gets a postcard from Jack which reads, "Ennis, see you in a couple weeks, fish should be jumping. Jack." The postmark is from Childress, Texas, dated July 1972. A couple of weeks later, Jack is driving a blue Ford truck. Ford only produced this specific truck grill in 1976 and 1977. In a following scene, Ennis and Alma's divorce is granted 6 November 1975. The blue truck should not appear in a 1972 scene.

Continuity: Supermarket scene. An end row of bottles is hit/broken. When the camera moves back, the bottles are again upright and intact.

Anachronisms: When Junior drives to her father's trailer to announce her wedding, as gets out of her car we can hear a beeping sound (warning the driver that a door is open). Such features were not introduced in cars until much later.

Anachronisms: The tractor trailer rigs are too modern for the time period. At the beginning of the movie the tractor used in the film wasn't the kind rolling along the highways in the 1960s.

Miscellaneous: The first post card from Jack is postmarked CHILDRESS TX SEPT 1967. The second from Jack is postmarked AUG 1972, also with the date not indicated. Postmarks always have the month, day and year, not just the month and year.

Continuity: The first postcard from Jack has no address. The only clue to his address is the post mark. Yet when Ennis writes back, he addresses his card to RFD 2, Childress, Texas. He would have had no way of knowing Jack's rural route number.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: When Ennis says, "I can't stand this any more, Jack," he is crying, but his lips are not moving.

Continuity: Ennis, standing in the river washing a coffee pot with a rag, pauses to look up and spots Jack on horseback in the distance on a mountainside. Ennis then slings the washrag over his right shoulder and starts to exit the river. In the next scene, as he exits the river onto the riverbank, the washrag is gone from his shoulder and back to being held in his right hand.

Miscellaneous: During the hail storm scene on Brokeback Mountain, although one can hear the wind blowing very hard, the trees in the distance remain still.

Continuity: When Jack rides into camp complaining that he is "commutin' four hours a day" he takes off one glove, the one on his left hand, to feel the coffee pot. It then shows him drinking coffee with his left hand and the right hand glove is still on and he is holding the glove from the left hand with his right hand. When Ennis says (the second time) "I wouldn't mind being out there" it shows Jack with the coffee cup still in his left hand but the glove from his right hand is now off.

Miscellaneous: In approximately 1967, four years after the time line of the movie begins, there is a scene in which Ennis and Alma are talking in the kitchen of their apartment. In one scene you see her put down a folded newspaper on the table and there is a close-up of the newspaper. It is an advertisement for Carl Budding lunch meat, two for 99 cents. You can find those kinds of deals today, so in 1967/68 that would have been a lot of money.

Anachronisms: When Jack is at the bar, turning around to eye Lureen, just before she approaches him for the first time, soft contact lens are visible in his eyes.

Continuity: At the beginning of the movie where we first see Jack Twist driving up in his truck, the window on the passenger side is up as evidenced by the reflections off the glass. Then as the truck turns into the parking lot, the same window is now down.

Factual errors: The first reunion of Jack and Ennis is on 24th September 1967. On the next day 25th, they went onto the mountains and at that night there was a full moon. However, the full moon of September 1967 should be at 18th day, not 24th or 25th.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: When Jack rides the bull (at the same rodeo where he meets Lureen), he is thrown to the ground before the eight-second buzzer sounds. Had this been real life, he would receive a no-score.

Continuity: Towards the end of the movie when Alma Jr. visits her dad in his trailer, he goes to the cupboard to get them a drink and cups. The cupboard door at Ennis' head is seen alternately opened and closed without him touching it.

Crew or equipment visible: When they are being viewed from a far as they play with their shirts off, on the far left there is filming equipment visible within the trees.

Now, there is some slight redundancy from earlier posts, but the funny thing is, I haven't noticed most of these "goofs" and I have seen the movie over 30 times. I have been known not to be very detail oriented, so I guess I am no barameter for things like this. Just wanted to share.

MERR

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 07:15:39 pm »
  by twistedude   (Mon May 7 2007 15:38:05 )

UPDATED Mon May 7 2007 17:01:18
verbal: "You're better OFF sleeping in the tent." (off, rather than what?)
"My dad says all bull riders are *beep* (accent on the first syllable). Oh,, I forgot: *beep*

"Thus began our longest journey together." To Kill a Mockingbird

by merr7242   (Mon May 7 2007 18:32:59 )   

Does that sound funny to you - because it doesn't sound funny to me (i.e., OFF) If you haven't already seen it, check out my "Heath on Ellen" post. It is pretty funny.

MERR

by twistedude   (Mon May 7 2007 21:59:32 )

UPDATED Mon May 7 2007 22:17:17
Will do--I love Jake on Ellen. Oh--your post--here? I'll look. Seems to me it would have been more natural for Jack to say "You'd be better off sleeping in the TENT."

I HAD seen it before. O.K Frankly, I was a bit disappointed in Heath on Ellen. In almost every other intervierw he gave, he said he chose Ennis because he thought he could USE his own fears in portraying a homosexual man to portray--Ennis. Flat out SAID IT. Why not to Ellen? (He neglected to mention that"Waltzing Matilda" was the de facto National Anthem of Austrailia---too.)

by merr7242   (Mon May 7 2007 22:10:26 )   

Yes, just the accent on a different syllable. Does change the meaning.

MERR

by twistedude   (Mon May 7 2007 22:19:42 )

Instead of posting here--I edited my reply to your original post above, after I'd watched "Heath on Ellen."

by merr7242   (Mon May 7 2007 23:00:23 )   

Yes, I did notice the Waltzing Matilda omission. I probably would have been more sincere if he was at least consistent with why he chose Ennis. Maybe it was awkward to Ellen. To be honest, I hadn't seen other interviews of Heath so didn't know that.

MERR

by twistedude   (Tue May 8 2007 08:45:36 )   

Have you seen Jake on Ellen? It's hysterical. How could Heath think it would be awkward for Ellen if he said ANYTHING? You know he does mention at the beginning of the interview how exhausted he is. Naybe that's why he leaves stuff out. He sure does manage to convey what it's like having a new baby in the house! (YURG!)

by merr7242   (Tue May 8 2007 12:41:12 )   

You're right - that could be it. And he seemed nervous too. Yup, having a baby around certainly does have a way of putting romance right out the window. Hope they stay together - they seem good together.

MERR