Author Topic: The most powerful thing about the film is not in it' -- by Bannerhill  (Read 2633 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The most powerful thing about the film is not in it' (REPOST)            
by - BannerHill (Wed May 24 2006 02:51:03 )   

When I first started researching the film, I found an interview with Ang Lee in The Kansas City Star. In it he said "It wasn't until I got into the editing room that I realized that the most powerful thing about the film is not in it; it is about what might have been."

This amazed me for two reasons.

1) It reassured me that this film is powerful for reasons that are not shown on the screen and

2) I realized that in some ways, Ang Lee did not entirely know what he was creating. This is late in the filmmaking process to realise such a fundamental aspect.

I get the feeling that the film 'came together' as it was being made, which seems kind of strange.

Re: 'The most powerful thing about the film is not in it'   
by - the_protector (Wed May 24 2006 04:14:24 )   

UPDATED Wed May 24 2006 04:28:58
I agree Bannerhill, amazing statement.

"I get the feeling that the film 'came together' as it was being made, which seems kind of strange."

Well, most great works of art are never realized at the beginning. Like carving a figure out of marble, the masterpiece emerges slowly. Each strike of the chisel holds some uncertainty. And embracing that uncertainty is an essential act of the creative mind. If there as a road map laid out, marking steps from beginning to end, anyone could have made the film...like paint by numbers.

The fact that the movie came together as it was created reassures me that Ang and those working with him are true artists.

If you feel embarrassed, I'll be your pride.
If you need direction, I'll be your guide.

by - bjblakeslee (Wed May 24 2006 04:27:56 )

This movie is a perfect example of a visual arts term called "negative space" -- where something's absence is an important part of the whole.

The most famous example in literature is from Sherlock Holmes:

Colonel Ross still wore an expression which showed the poor opinion which he had formed of my companion's ability, but I saw by the inspector's face that his attention had been keenly aroused.

"You consider that to be important?" he asked.

"Exceedingly so."

"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"

"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."

"The dog did nothing in the night-time."

"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

The absences in this movie are utterly palpable -- what the characters say is important, what they don't say is often moreso.

The shadow of Jack's absence is extremely important at the end, yet his presence permeates the entire end of the film.

Sorry to anyone who didn't get it -- you missed out on something absolutely brilliant...

"From producer of "I, 'Cowbot," "Brokeback Fever Pitch," and "HomoVertiphobiGo"...

by - littlewing1957 (Wed May 24 2006 09:16:30 )   

<< The absences in this movie are utterly palpable -- what the characters say is important, what they don't say is often moreso.

The shadow of Jack's absence is extremely important at the end, yet his presence permeates the entire end of the film.

Sorry to anyone who didn't get it -- you missed out on something absolutely brilliant...>>

This aspect of the movie has fascinated me from the first viewing.

by - agrawal_alka (Wed May 24 2006 11:45:13 )

Do you have a link to the article?

Link to the Kansas City Star interview w/ Ang Lee?   
by - j01560403 (Wed May 24 2006 13:25:49 )

Yes, I too would like to see the whole article, I can't find it so far, do you have a link to it BannerHill? tks.

Tell you what...

I've heard...   
by - bkamberger (Wed May 24 2006 13:11:55 )   

...that it's common for Hollywood directors to say, as they go into the editing room, "Let's see if we made a good movie." Ang Lee made one, and that's all that counts.

Re: I've heard...   
by - undercarriage 6 days ago (Wed May 24 2006 15:16:31 )

However I agree with OP about 'something' ocurring in this movie.

I wrote a piece for a local paper, saying just that, when I first saw it.

I was still, at that point raving about the film and I asked rhetorically if it was simply the fact that everything lined up almost supernaturally and went into synch and produced this amazing work of art. As if it took on a life of its own?

Because it was the right time? It had to be seen? It had to happen?

I am in no way spiritual or religious but it seemed fateful that the film came together like it did.

http://www.meanderingtrevor.blogspot.com

by - BannerHill 6 days ago (Wed May 24 2006 18:25:29 )

UPDATED Wed May 24 2006 22:15:13
I checked my bookmark to the Kansas City Star from last January but it is no longer active. I was stunned when I read this article.

Anyone know how to locate it? The article might have appeared in October, November, or december

by - (name removed by request) 1 day ago (Mon May 29 2006 15:04:21 )

Is this the article you’re looking for?

Back to Brokeback - Kansas City Star January 1, 2006

http://dementedslinkybrain.blogspot.com/2006/01/back-to-brokeback-kansas-city-star.html

“It wasn’t until I was editing the movie that I realized that the most powerful thing in the movie isn’t there — it’s about what could have been.”
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:09:21 am by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
by - agrawal_alka 1 day ago (Mon May 29 2006 16:30:35 )   

UPDATED Mon May 29 2006 16:33:37
Thanks for the link!

I love Ang Lee's whole quote:

It wasn't until I was editing the movie that I realized that the most powerful thing in the movie isn't there — it's about what could have been. It's not a heroic story about seeing something, going out and getting it. It's about being afraid to get it.

So he doesn't see Ennis and Jack as heroes - I agree - though some reviews have tried to portray them this way. He really saw this as a movie about being controlled by your fears.

By the way, I didn't get Lost in Translation at all. I didn't get Monster's Ball either...I vaguely remember Heath's part in it and am glad he did it or I don't know if anyone would have thought to cast him as Ennis. (I read somewhere that he replaced someone else at the last minute for that role.) I don't necessarily get movies that critics like, though Brokeback Mountain is a major exception.

A million thanks!   
by - j01560403 1 day ago (Tue May 30 2006 02:10:26 )   

Thank you (name removed by request)! I have been looking all over for this article that was in the Kansas City Star...

Tell you what...

Re: love this thread   
by - vhw11 19 hours ago (Tue May 30 2006 18:41:11 )   

"Dramatically that's very interesting. It says so much about humanity, about how all of us practice self-denial in order to live with other people, to have security, to get along."

It wasn't until I was editing the movie that I realized that the most powerful thing in the movie isn't there — it's about what could have been. It's not a heroic story about seeing something, going out and getting it."It's about being afraid to get it." -- thank you for posting the thread.

I read the article and love the movie even greater.
Ang Lee did not put hte most powerful thing in the movie and left it for audience to dig out. Just read most the threads all about "what if","why",
"what do you think"......

To the question about "Monster's Ball":
1. The film is about "After a family tragedy, a racist prison guard reexamines his attitudes while falling in love with the African American wife of the last prisoner he executed.

2. Monster's Ball is a the night before the death-sentensed to be executed.

3. Heath Ledger played the son, Sony, suicided in front of his father(family tradegy),
he only showed in the first 15 minutes of the film.

4. Wes Bently was cast as Sonny in Monster's Ball (2001) before dropping out and being replaced by Heath Ledger. Some said Bently turned the role down.

Re: love this thread   
by - BannerHill 18 hours ago (Tue May 30 2006 18:49:21 )   

<It wasn't until I was editing the movie that I realized that the most powerful thing in the movie isn't there — it's about what could have been. It's not a heroic story about seeing something, going out and getting it. It's about being afraid to get it.>

Thanks for finding the correct quote. I love it.

Some compare 'BBM' to 'Lost in Translation'...   
by - toycoon 6 days ago (Thu May 25 2006 07:28:37 )   

UPDATED Mon May 29 2006 12:02:54
I just didn't 'get' Lost in Translation. "the sense of longing, the confusion, lost opportunities, etc". I don't feel as though there was much substance or any real chemistry between the characters. Maybe it was the obvious- the characters were hetrosexuals.

BBM finally addresses the lust, desire and passion between 2 men in a mainstream film. There just never has been a precedence set for this type of portrayal on the screen. We've never heard this story or heard it told so simply and without shame. Just like Ennis who looses control of his emotions with the reunion kiss, the topic has taken everyone around the globe by surprise.

Love it or hate it you cannot stop arguing, commenting or thinking about Brokeback Mountain.

Re: Some compare 'BBM' to 'Lost in Translation'...   
by - BannerHill 5 days ago (Thu May 25 2006 16:26:24 )   

All things considered, it really shouldn't be so shocking, but it is.

"...its about what might have been"

by - norwegianwood_4000 2 days ago (Mon May 29 2006 12:31:56 )

I like Lost in Translation but the movie coudn;t compare to BBM, I just felt so detached, a better one on the same themes would be Chungking Express directed by Wong Kar-wai---so much better and more original than Lost.

And i agree with the op, the poignant and powerful things about this film is what wasn't said---that's what made it so much more powerful and unique than the other films exploring similar issues.

by - silkncense 18 hours ago (Tue May 30 2006 19:02:01 )

bjblakeslee-

Love the whole "negative space' post. That is exactly what those that 'watch' this film but don't 'see it' miss.

"It's alright; 's alright." Jack Twist

by - norwegianwood_4000 8 minutes ago (Wed May 31 2006 13:37:40 )

"bjblakeslee (Wed May 24 2006 04:27:56)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This movie is a perfect example of a visual arts term called "negative space" -- where something's absence is an important part of the whole."

===============
YES, that's the perfect way to describe it, is there a movie term for that? or just 'negative space'? Would the movie Rebbecca be an example of this negative space? I always loved how even though you never see Rebbecca, you feel her prescence and impact on the characters and stories throughout the entire movie. What a genius Hitchcock was.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:10:59 am by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40