Author Topic: Jack Twist: The Black Sheep -- by littledarlin  (Read 2698 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Jack Twist: The Black Sheep -- by littledarlin
« on: June 17, 2007, 05:07:35 am »
REPOST
==============================================================
Jack Twist: The Black Sheep   
by - littledarlin (Sat Feb 4 2006 10:02:51 )

This may have been touched on before, so I apologize if someone has made this point, but while watching BBM last night I found myself pondering the use of color again.

Jack's hat is black for most of the movie. When herding the sheep, in the shots from a distance everything blends together. The only thing that sticks out is Jack and his black hat. Then it hit me: because Jack is a black sheep.

The symbolism of the sheep has been touched on, Jack and Ennis ride outside of the flock, just as they do in society. But if you really think about it, it makes perfect sense. Here's a description:

"Black sheep is a derogatory colloquialism in the English language meaning an outsider or one who is different in a way which others disapprove of. This can be someone who has been shunned by others, or one who has chosen to be an outsider, due to actions and aims that separate them from the rest of the people or "flock". A typical example might be a family member who has chosen to follow a religion other than that of the rest of their family."

Jack wears his brand proudly throughout most of the film. The only time we see him with a lighter-colored hat is after he has married, had a kid, and is living a lie. He is attempting to fit in, to be a part of the flock, but fails quickly and goes back to the black hat.

Ennis never changes, though. His hat is always white/beige/neutral, because he constantly spends his life trying to fit in. He uses his hat as a mask, except for the few moments where he lets himself be vulnerable (with Jack, at Thanksgiving, at home, etc). But the color represents his unwillingness to be true to himself.

At the scene where Ennis visits Jack's parents, we see a black hat hanging on the white wall. Is it Jack's hat? Mr. Twist's? Not sure, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in the other wise white and dull house (except for Mrs. Twist's blue sweater, but we'll save the blues for another thread) as a constant reminder that denying yourself happiness for the sake of fitting in will get you nowhere.

Jack Nasty loves you!

Re: Jack Twist: The Black Sheep   
by - mlewisusc (Sat Feb 4 2006 11:06:59 )   

Very good! Will need to watch for black hat at Twist home next time. . .

". . . the single moment of artless, charmed happiness. . ."

by - newyearsday (Sat Feb 4 2006 11:10:55 )   

I agree littledarlin, and nicely said. Color as symbolism and metaphor is so well used in this story it astounds me. I wonder if all movies do this and I just never noticed?? SOmehow I feel it is more well done here, more real, less hitting us over the head.

I have thought about the beige and earth tones of Ennis's colors being about lots of things: his hard and solid exterior and unchangingness, his sparseness of words and belongings, and his never allowing himself the freedom to leave, to change, to be himself like our true blue Jack at least tries to do (and he does succeed in many ways)...but I never saw this beige/wheat/earth tone as being a part of Ennis trying to blend in and be unnoticeable. I do now, thanks to your insight.

Btw are you in NYC? Thought I remembered that from location posts.

by - littledarlin (Sat Feb 4 2006 11:14:34 )

Btw are you in NYC?

nope. chicago area.

Jack Nasty loves you!

by - amandazehnder (Thu Mar 23 2006 19:04:57 )   

I think the metaphor of sheep is really powerful in another way. The ideas of "sacrificial lambs" and the horrible intersection of innocence and violence re-emerge through the film. I think there's meant to be a link between the dead sheep that Ennis sees after the first night in the tent and the violently murdered gay men that haunt Ennis's memory/ imagination. We see the bloodied and dead bodies of Earl and the graphic violence of Jack's death (at least in Ennis's head) and of the sheep. Crucially, the men and the sheep are the victims of predators. I'm sure that seeing the dead sheep at that critical moment sent Ennis's fears racing. Tremendously sad.

There's a great discussion of hat colors underway in the thread called "Notice anything so subtle..." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/thread/36287482?d=39173636#39173636

by - naun (Thu Mar 23 2006 19:29:33 )   

Thank you, this is a wonderfully persuasive line of thought.

At the scene where Ennis visits Jack's parents, we see a black hat hanging on the white wall.

We see a lot of hats being hung up on walls during the course of the film. I wonder why?

by - littledarlin (Thu Mar 23 2006 19:41:38 )   

well i think it's a common courtesy thing. like it's polite to remove your hat when you enter yours or someone elses home. the black hat at the end sticks out to me for some reason though.

together our two hearts are strong, don't you know that's where our hearts both belong
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack Twist: The Black Sheep -- by littledarlin
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 05:14:16 am »
by - stitchbuffymoulinfan (Thu Mar 23 2006 19:46:13 )   

Excellent observations.

I like the symbolism with the sheep as sacrificial lambs. I think that's very intelligent writing.

www.jlodown.com
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/jlodown

by - naun (Thu Mar 23 2006 20:07:59 )   

well i think it's a common courtesy thing. like it's polite to remove your hat when you enter yours or someone elses home.

Well yes, but I'm struck by how often we are specifically shown somebody hanging a hat up on the wall. Aguirre does it at the beginning, Ennis does it at Riverton, and again in his trailer at the end, then of course there's the hat in Lightning Flat, which I agree seems to be accorded special prominence in the visual design of that scene. (Elsewhere I've suggested that when seen over Ennis' head in one shot it resembles a halo, especially when you think of the other dark-coloured object hanging on the wall -- the crucifix.) It's because of the apparent significance of the hat on the wall at Lightning Flat that I wonder about the others. Of course, they don't have to mean anything, but the "Cornelius principle" says that everything in BBM means something ...

by - lauragigs (Thu Mar 23 2006 20:28:23 )   

Man, what great observations. Great thread!

by - littledarlin (Thu Mar 23 2006 20:42:28 )   

VERY good point, naun. i'm going to have to look out for those scenes next time. the only other time i noticed the hats being removed is when ennis shows his signs of vulnerability, like during the second tent scene which is probably the sweetest thing ever.

together our two hearts are strong, don't you know that's where our hearts both belong

by - BlackRabbitOfInle (Thu Mar 23 2006 20:50:06 )

*HUGS!* You really are a little darlin', aren't you? Comparing Jake/Jack to a sheep makes me feel warm and fuzzy, because I think sheep are incredibly cute! squeeeeee! *blushes* *clears throat*

Anyway, I think you're absolutely correct to say that Jack is a black sheep, both metaphorically and almost literally. Awesome observation.

"Jack Twist."
"Ennis."
"Your folks just stop at Ennis?"

by - naun (Fri Mar 24 2006 05:33:08 )

the only other time i noticed the hats being removed is when ennis shows his signs of vulnerability

That's an interesting thought. And it applies to Jack as well as Ennis. When Jack "proposes" (as somebody here described it), when he says those beautiful words, "It could be like this, just like this, always", he's not wearing his hat. He's totally vulnerable at this point.

And of course Ennis, in turning him down, puts his hat back on.

by - pkdetroit (Fri Mar 24 2006 06:25:34 )

I look at Jack as not only a "black sheep" but an innocent lamb who ends up slaughtered.
The scene when Ennis' father takes him and hs brother to see the body of the old ranger is so biblical, to me it is like jehovah taking two innocents out of eden to show them evil, in effect taking away their innocence. Corrupted by that knowledge,Ennis was wary and untrusting the rest of his life. Jack was always full of hope and life and innocent and died because of it.

"It was the Summer that Sebastian and I went to the Incantadas"

by - fairywasteland 23 hours ago (Wed Apr 5 2006 22:47:02 )

Good point! I just saw the movie for the first time last night and I hadn't thought that out.

by - bjblakeslee 9 hours ago (Thu Apr 6 2006 12:45:59 )

Jack's hat is black for most of the movie.

Jack is wearing a beige hat similar to the one Ennis wore for the reunion scene. He also wears a beige sleeveless vest and a red shirt. The red shirt reflects Lureen. The beige sleeveless vest is again a nod to Ennis. Red is also a dominant color on Jack's new truck - again a nod to Lureen.

Ennis never changes, though. His hat is always white/beige/neutral, because he constantly spends his life trying to fit in.

Ennis is seen in a blue stocking hat and blue jackets during the snow scenes with Alma and he wears a blue denim jacket during those scenes as well. Ennis is also wearing a white shirt with blue stripes during the reunion scene. These are significant reversals. They visually represent the bond they have for each other while they have been apart.

The colour red!!   
by - pipedream 8 hours ago (Thu Apr 6 2006 13:07:25 )

UPDATED Thu Apr 6 2006 13:08:20
Jack is wearing a beige hat similar to the one Ennis wore for the reunion scene. He also wears a beige sleeveless vest and a red shirt. The red shirt reflects Lureen. The beige sleeveless vest is again a nod to Ennis. Red is also a dominant color on Jack's new truck - again a nod to Lureen.

It's interesting that Alma's clothes in that scene are almost exactly the same colours: reddish dress, white/beige cardigan. They totally match with Jack and his truck. That's why I think the colour red is not necessarily an allusion to Lureen (Alma and the truck certainly have no relationship with her...). Red, however, is also the colour of the religious festivals and holidays. At least in the Catholic Church priests and church boys dress up in red at Christmas and Easter. Both are festivals that follow a long period of fasting or preparation, the colour of which is purple! Remember the shirt Jack wears when he is searching for his blue parka? Purple! He prepares for one of his fishing trips.
So in the reunion scene everybody is sort of dressed up: Ennis wears his best shirt with a blue pattern (he is waiting for Jack). Alma wears a red dress because it's one of the very rare occasions that they actually expect a guest, and Jack wears red and Ennis-beige. Huh??

If ever I should tell the moment: Oh, stay! You are so beautiful! Then you may cast me into chains, then shall I smile upon perdition! (Goethe)

Re: The colour red!!   
by - bjblakeslee 8 hours ago (Thu Apr 6 2006 13:28:51 )

I think the red on Jack and the truck reflect something of his middle-class ambitions to lift himself from being poor. With his marriage to Lureen he has in a way hit the Jack-pot. He speaks later of the possibility of Lureen's old man paying him off to go away, and using the money to buy a place for himself and Ennis. My interpretation is that Jack wears red to reflect his rise in financial status which has come to him by marrying Lureen.

I would say that Alma's dress up outfit is a heathered orange, a color that belongs in the earthtone pallete. Bright for her, but definitely not red.

Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow...

by - crissttigaldames 8 hours ago (Thu Apr 6 2006 13:46:07 )

UPDATED Thu Apr 6 2006 13:46:47
You people must have seen the film so many times to remember that sort of things!!! :)
I have just seen it once. And I think is just great. Can't wait to watch it again.

The black sheep thing is very interesting. The dead sheep, I wondered what it meant... that seemed to me a disgusting scene when I saw it and didn't see what sense it had.

"The Love you take is equal to the Love you make" The Beatles.

by - pipedream 8 hours ago (Thu Apr 6 2006 13:48:35 )

I would say that Alma's dress up outfit is a heathered orange

Yeah, your're right. Her dress is not quite red. But then it's not so much of a holiday for her as it is for Jack, of course...
I stick to the religious symbolism, good Catholic that I am . Jack's purple coloured shirt is just too obvious: the months between their meetings are nothing but long periods of fasting for him. Red and white: these are the colours of celebration.

If ever I should tell the moment: Oh, stay! You are so beautiful! Then you may cast me into chains, then shall I smile upon perdition! (Goethe)

by - bjblakeslee 8 hours ago (Thu Apr 6 2006 13:56:12 )

Red is also a color of marriage and wealth in China, as I am sure Mr. Lee could tell us. He would of course see these colors through a different cultural filter.

by - muscla_1 7 hours ago (Thu Apr 6 2006 14:01:04 )   

When we first see Lureen, she's wearing white with red highlights, including her hat (and I think boots and jacket).

When Jack drives up for the reunion, his truck is white with red highlights...and undoubtedly paid for with his father-in-law's money.

"Jack, I swear..."

by - bjblakeslee 7 hours ago (Thu Apr 6 2006 14:04:42 )   

The dead sheep is a visual representation of Ennis's emotional confusion after spending the night in the tent with Jack.

It is a parallel to his story about old Earl, whose body his father made him look at as a child, and who was murdered because he was homosexual.

by - malwood2000 7 hours ago (Thu Apr 6 2006 14:30:14 )   

In Ennis's final scenes in the trailer I notice he is wearing what looks like a once blue jacket, now drab grey, colourless, probably representing Jack.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40