Author Topic: Scene Discussion: Ennis Shaving  (Read 8118 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Scene Discussion: Ennis Shaving
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 10:04:50 pm »
Yr welcome DelMarDeb. Nice ta meet you. Your folks just stop at DelMarDeb?

As you can see from my avatar, I don't always follow hat etiquette. There I am catchin hailstones in my hat!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 11:15:50 pm »
Front-Ranger

LOL. I have seen your avatar, but never noticed what exactly you were doing with your hat....

My folks just really stopped at Debra D.   :) D for Delmar????????????????????

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 02:51:06 pm »
Here is another scene of the camp. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be in that camp!!

One thing I would do if I were there is grab that ax and sling it into the canyon! But notice in this picture how the set decorators had to reposition the ax so it would still be pointing at his haid?? ???
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 06:02:40 am »

This scene also illustrates the almost comical difference in each character's diligence.  In an earlier breakfast scene, Ennis had the food cooked in perfect timing with Jack's arrival at camp.  Here, Ennis has been at camp long enough to dismount, strip down a bit, and wash/shave his face — and Jack is just now opening the cans. 

I think you're right in this illustrating the difference in their characters. But it could also be taken to show how relaxed they've become with one another. Or it could well be that this is hinting about how they (consciously or subconsciously) are finding ways to stay together more and for longer periods of time, even when appearing to just be attending strictly to business as usual. Perhaps Ennis rode down to camp super-early, knowing that Jack wouldn't have breakfast ready yet. Or Jack dawdled more than usual on purpose. And none of them complaining! At least not about that.  :)

---------

All the "J&E alone in camp" scenes have managed to imprint on my mind a strong and enduring impression that what we see is the truth of it; - that Jack and Ennis were really once all alone out there, on a mountain, far away from other people.

So though of course I *know* about the filmmaking process and all the crew and equipment it takes to make the smallest scene, still I feel a bit surprised when I see pics like the one below, from one of the other early scenes. Seeing images like that never fails to reinforce my admiration for the actors, admiration and wonder that they are able to stay in character, and to give us these two wonderful completely believable cowboys, with all that stuff and all those people hanging over their heads.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 07:43:53 am »
So though of course I *know* about the filmmaking process and all the crew and equipment it takes to make the smallest scene, still I feel a bit surprised when I see pics like the one below, from one of the other early scenes. Seeing images like that never fails to reinforce my admiration for the actors, admiration and wonder that they are able to stay in character, and to give us these two wonderful completely believable cowboys, with all that stuff and all those people hanging over their heads.  :)

My thoughts exactly when I looked at those pics yesterday. It's astonishing, isn't it?

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 12:21:35 pm »
I think you're right in this illustrating the difference in their characters. But it could also be taken to show how relaxed they've become with one another. Or it could well be that this is hinting about how they (consciously or subconsciously) are finding ways to stay together more and for longer periods of time, even when appearing to just be attending strictly to business as usual. Perhaps Ennis rode down to camp super-early, knowing that Jack wouldn't have breakfast ready yet. Or Jack dawdled more than usual on purpose. And none of them complaining!

These are great points, Mikaela — I shoulda realized all this.  It kind of reinforces what the story said, too, about Ennis' hours away from the sheep (how they "stretched out and out").

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 08:24:47 pm »

I'm always amazed by that, too, when I stop to think about it! You'd never know there are mobs of people and tons of equipment just a few feet away. What powers of concentration and focus they must have.

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:30:39 pm »
wow, this image is shocking..!

and i respect heath and jake even more, for giving birth to jack and ennis among all those unromantic, technically-design and equipped surrounding
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!