Author Topic: Ennis's Poverty -- by artsybaebe  (Read 3103 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Ennis's Poverty -- by artsybaebe
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:11:30 am »
REPOST
==============================================================
Ennis's poverty   
by - artsybaebe (Mon Mar 13 2006 12:45:31 )   

UPDATED Mon Mar 13 2006 12:46:23
Did anyone else notice this incredibly subtle detail that speaks volumes about Ennis's character?

I never noticed this until the third screening--very subtle. In the first scene, when Ennis is waiting for Aguirre to show up, he is smoking a cigarette--which he puts out before he's done with it and puts in his shirt pocket (I think). Then, when he and Jack have their first drink at the bar after getting their jobs, Ennis pulls out the partially-smoked cigarette and lights it up again.

This is an unbelievably small detail, but I think it speaks volumes about the true extent of Ennis's poverty--i.e. how truly dirt poor this man whose parents left $23. in a coffee can really was. I think it sheds light on the credibility of his excuse in the final scene with Jack as well--when he says he couldn't meet until November because he had to trade off August with his boss, couldn't quit his job because he had child support payments, how Jack never understood what it was like to be so poor, etc. Ennis spent his whole life trying to stay ahead of the bills, and the situation wasn't helped by Alma emasculating him by suggesting that he wasn't supporting his kids properly. Social class (or aspiring social class) and economic privilege (eg Jack's marriage into 'serious money') are major unacknowledged factors in the demise of his marriage and even his faltering relationship with Jack, in the end . . .

Re: Ennis's poverty   
by - momoro (Mon Mar 13 2006 13:12:27 )   

All good observations, artsybaebe. I'll have to look for the cigarette detail the next time I see the movie.

Ennis is barely beyond impoverishment throughout the story. The irony is that he is clearly a hard worker, conscientious even, in his way, and I truly believe he does the best he can with what he knows and expects from himself and his world. I actually had great sympathy for him at the lakeside quarrel, when he was obviously not simply begging off, but stating a very real need to earn desperately important income. This adds to the poignancy of the closing scene, when he agrees to attend Alma Junior's wedding, realizing how important it is to extend oneself for love's sake, even though he can scarcely afford to lose work. Ennis even, in my eyes, acquires a kind of heroic stature by story's end, in his stoic resolve to forge ahead, despite all the regret, hurt, and lost opportunities. He remains poor materially, but he has tasted an ineffable treasure that most will never know--true, abiding, soul-searing love.

Nothing compares, I think, when thinking right, to a good friend.

by - Kd5000 (Mon Mar 13 2006 13:29:53 )   

He's also too proud, he even turns Jack down when Jack offers to loan him some money when they come down from BBM... He should have let Jack pay for the trip to Mexico, but of course, Ennis never travels.

I'm sure his life would have much more comfortable if he had moved in with Jack at some time period. I guess Jack could rely on working on his dad's ranch for income and his in-laws would have paid to see him go....

by - xhepera (Mon Mar 13 2006 13:56:43 )   

I'm sure his life would have much more comfortable if he had moved in with Jack at some time period. I guess Jack could rely on working on his dad's ranch for income and his in-laws would have paid to see him go....

Ah, but then we'd not have the story that we have come to know and love, with its deeply tragic pathos that borders on the archetypal.

Never wrestle with a pig. You'll just get dirty, and the pig enjoys it.

by - MaryFanatic (Mon Mar 13 2006 14:12:40 )   

it's almost funny.it felt like jack was the wife(let's face it,he was the bottom!) trying to tell her husband "let me pay".i thought that ennis felt he was the man in the relationship and he was'nt about to accept money from the woman(we need to remember that Ennis is not just homophobic but sexist as well).

by - kevinmcg (Mon Mar 13 2006 14:15:54 )

UPDATED Mon Mar 13 2006 14:16:33
Interesting how you mention Alma emasculating him....in the original, it specifically talks about how Ennis is inclined to only low paying job, doesn't take her or the kids anywhere and the ony trips he takes are those with Jack every few times a year. It's clear she thinks she's wasting her life and she initiates the divorce from him. She was smart to do it frankly.

Jack n' Ennis forever

by - milena-covic (Mon Mar 13 2006 14:28:05 )   

UPDATED Tue Mar 14 2006 07:33:41
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I try to keep away from discussions about social classes because I know I am quite opinionated and passionate about it, maybe even tiresome (?), but I agree that it is a very important point. It is indeed, momoro, something which makes Ennis so poignant in his final scene with Jack. It is also an aspect that contributed to making the characters (Ennis, here) seem SO real, in my view.
I am not talking of myself, but I have several close friends, all males, who are dirt poor, not unlike Ennis. And yes, it affects their relationships badly.
(And Mary, we're talking about MEN here).

"I can resist anything except temptation". (Oscar Wilde)

by - jshane2002 (Mon Mar 13 2006 14:30:36 )   

"we need to remember that Ennis is not just homophobic but sexist as well"

I agree :

When Ennis confronts Jack about going to Mexico you see how Ennis' self image is as a heterosexual man who just has this "thing" like it's a weakness for gambling. He's jealous of Jack and repulsed and disturbed all at the same time by the thought of Jack doing something so queer as going to Mexico.

"I hear what they have for boys like you in Mexico."

Coming out of the closet is a gradual process with others and with yourself.

Also the way Ennis goes nuts and practically strikes Alma when she confronts him with facts about the fishing gear. He is not only being confronted for his deliberate lying and deception but being accused of being a queer.

Ennis' sexism is on full display when he yells at Alma that she not only fix dinner but serve it. I don't know this for sure but I always suspected that Alma was provoking Ennis when this happened, like she may have mislead Ennis to think she would stay home and server him dinner ( and he would be looking forward to it ) and then suddenly "remember" that she had to go to work to take someone else's shift. It just seems that given Alma is trapped in this situation with Ennis the only way she has any power is to be passive aggresive.

You see this in the Thanksgiving scene where Alma sets Ennis up for the confrontation about the fishing gear. If Ennis had not raised his hand and been about to strike Alma she could have caught Ennis in all of his lying because Ennis didn't know Alma saw Jack and Ennis kissing.

by - RobertPlant (Mon Mar 13 2006 14:51:24 )   

Yes, I noticed the cigarette..
and the other more evident sign, represented by the little watch Aguirre gave him.
For what I could see Ennis never has a watch, while after those for year Jack is used to wear a big golden (maybe gold) watch and rings.

I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
over the hills where the spirits fly

by - artsybaebe (Mon Mar 13 2006 14:55:07 )   

well, actually, I was referring quite specifically to the 'emasculating' scene in which she had the bad taste to make the statement about 'precautions' and more kids--they were in the middle of having sex, for heaven's sake; he was inside her, and he quickly 'lost it', shall we say, as soon as she said 'i'll have them if you'll support them'.

by - Front-Ranger (Mon Mar 13 2006 15:14:20 )

In Alma's defense, I need to point out that before she said, "I'll have 'em if you'll support 'em" he said "If you don't want any more of my children, I'll be happy to leave you alone." In other words, he was just having sex with her to impregnate her and wasn't concerned or interested in her pleasure or their relationship.

by - VerdiGuy (Mon Mar 13 2006 15:22:21 )   

I love the cigarette detail - noticed it the first time I saw the movie. He may even have to bum lights when he wants a smoke; d'you notice that in the bar he asks to use Jack's lighter? He may not have matches of his own, or he may not want to "waste" one of them when someone else's lighter is handy and available.

I've always figured that when we first see Ennis, everything he owns in the world is either on his back, or in the paper bag that he's carrying.

by - meryl_88 (Mon Mar 13 2006 15:31:54 )   

It's interesting to consider the money issue in Jack and Ennis's relationship. I think Ennis's attitude toward money is as much of an obstacle to his getting together with Jack as is his fear of exposure as a homosexual.

Like most people, Ennis equates money with power. When Alma leaves him at home with the children so she can go out and earn money, it hits him where it hurts most. He's not the powerful one in the relationship at that moment.

So how can he avoid being powerless in his relationship with Jack, since he can't compete with Jack's income? He uses his lack of money to control him. Jack always has to come to him because he has to work, his pickup would never make it to Texas, etc. Letting Jack pay for a trip to Mexico or finance that cow-and-calf operation would take away Ennis's power, and the whole tone of their relationship would change. In a way, it is to his advantage to remain in low-paying jobs so that he can maintain this hold on Jack. Maybe that's what he really means when he says it's because of Jack that he's "nothing, nowhere." :(

by - jmmgallagher (Mon Mar 13 2006 16:12:05 )   

I believe you're absolutely right when it comes to Ennis's attitude to money, Meryl, but in re: the following:
In a way, it is to his advantage to remain in low-paying jobs so that he can maintain this hold on Jack. Maybe that's what he really means when he says it's because of Jack that he's "nothing, nowhere." :(

I think it's really just that Ennis avoided taking jobs he couldn't easily ditch for the precious two- or three-times-a-year visit by Jack--he could never DREAM of getting a job that would give him that type of legitimate leave!--and perhaps also that he simply avoided taking jobs where there would be more scrutiny of his life, where he would be less anonymous.

And that's really :(

by - lauragigs (Mon Mar 13 2006 16:58:58 )   

UPDATED Mon Mar 13 2006 17:20:07
" . . . the situation wasn't helped by Alma emasculating him by suggesting that he wasn't supporting his kids properly."

Now hold on -- Alma was doing them both a huge favor at that point, as stinging as her remark must have been for Ennis. Can you imagine if Ennis had to pay child support for three or more children? He never would have made it.
It's never okay to bring an unwanted child into the world, just to gratify someone's ego. And as much as I adore Ennis, he needed that reality check.

" . . . perhaps also that he simply avoided taking jobs where there would be more scrutiny of his life, where he would be less anonymous."

What an interesting point.

"Like most people, Ennis equates money with power. . . He uses his lack of money to control Jack."

I don't think Ennis was conciously trying to wield power over Jack in some petty way. It was a pride thing. Think of this:

Money is associated with masculinity, or at least was in the early 60s. Ennis was already extremely sexually conflicted; the bruises to his pride over Alma having to work and Jack having a bit more $ must have been all he could bear. He spent huge amounts of physical and emotional energy reinforcing his masculinity to himself. This was part of all of that. And considering the other facets of that effort (the fighting, the repression and denial, etc. etc.), this was a relatively benign part of it!!

by - delalluvia (Mon Mar 13 2006 17:12:41 )   

In a way, it is to his advantage to remain in low-paying jobs so that he can maintain this hold on Jack. Maybe that's what he really means when he says it's because of Jack that he's "nothing, nowhere."

Naw, I have to disagree with this.

Ennis LIKED his jobs. He hated socializing, was bad at it, wasn't educated, probably felt stupid most of his life compared to other people. Out in the wilds, tending cattle or whatnot - animals don't care if you have a degree or not, or make money or not. To Ennis, his ranch hand jobs were freedom from the expectations of society that he knew he didn't meet. His sexuality turned out to be just another societal expectation he also fell down on. And again, ranch jobs and being out in the middle of nowhere gave him the freedom to be himself as well with no judgments passed on him.

Team Jolie

by - jmmgallagher (Mon Mar 13 2006 17:18:36 )   

"As clumsy as I am, I'd probably electrocute myself."--Ennis del Mar

by - fernly (Mon Mar 13 2006 17:34:41 )   

and since Ennis wasn't at all clumsy, this was a way to (jokingly? not sure) reject a job he couldn't have stood

"on the mountain, flying in the euphoric, bitter air"

by - jmmgallagher (Mon Mar 13 2006 17:37:12 )   

Not clumsy? Fernly, didn't you see that poor cowboy on the dancefloor?

If Alma had succeeded in putting him in a job in that power plant, he would've been burnt to a crisp inside a week.

by - carmenjonze-1 (Mon Mar 13 2006 17:54:34 )   

UPDATED Mon Mar 13 2006 17:55:18
there are a lot of threads regarding "feeling sorry" for the wives or for Alma or for all 4.

one of the most striking things about BBM is the contrast between the breathtaking natural beauty of the settings and the stark poverty of the people who live there.

Ennis and Jack are seasonal/migrant workers, after all, a term that is today typically reserved for Latino immigrants, especially in CA.

one reason i really dislike Lureen and her father is their class anxiety that oozes out of every pore, and which they take out on Jack, constantly. they are classic white "new money". http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=new+money in other words, pretentious without knowing how obvious they really are.

but BBM is very special to me because it presents the characters in a way that doesn't look down on them for being poor and struggling whites. a lot of films set in rural areas might make fun of the characters. i hate films like that. BBM seemed to me to never go to that place.

__
"Be nonviolent only with those who are nonviolent to you."

Malcolm

by - fernly (Mon Mar 13 2006 18:02:46 )   

OK, in Ennis' defense, he managed to smoke while 'dancing', and not set Cassie's hair (which was probably highly flammable due to lots of hair spray) on fire. And, he rode and handled horses skillfully, picked up sick and screaming children, etc.

"on the mountain, flying in the euphoric, bitter air"

by - jmmgallagher (Mon Mar 13 2006 18:07:51 )   

"BBM seemed to me to never go to that place."

How true, Carmenjonze--that's probably Annie and Ang both.

by - naun (Mon Mar 13 2006 18:14:26 )   

Never noticed the cigarette. Thanks for pointing that out.

For me, and entirely for personal reasons, the most powerful symbol of Ennis and Alma's poverty is the washboard that Alma uses. There's that shot of the first Del Mar household where the camera pans from Ennis arriving with the horses, across the interior of the house, to Alma at the sink. Before the shot arrives at Alma we hear a grinding sound which I always take at first to be the sound of an antiquated washing machine, but turns out of course to be Alma doing the clothes. I grew up in Southeast Asia at a time when many poorer households did do their washing by hand -- I imagine they still do -- and seeing a woman use a washboard is terribly evocative for me of that kind of poverty. Whatever disappointments Alma may have endured in her marriage to Monroe, I hope he at least bought her a nice washing machine.

by - Shuggy (Mon Mar 13 2006 18:39:01 )   

Money is associated with masculinity, or at least was in the early 60s.

I had been thinking that when Alma says "What about my job?" she is making a proto-feminist statement, but in fact she's thinking purely of the money: she may even earn more than he does.

"If you can't stand it, you gotta fix it." www.cafepress.com/ahua/1167379

by - chibidesign (Mon Mar 13 2006 19:00:14 )

Yeah, I'm with you there, though I don't dislike Lureen. I get the distinct impression that the Newsomes are one generation off dirt ranches thenselves, with all the attendant snobbery that that seems to entail. The class-consciouness would have been intensified by the fact that there really is serious money in Texas (I'm from the central part of the state), way more than the easily-impressed Jack could have imagined. I think the neighborhood with the highest median income in the whole US is in Houston, though it's hardly my scene.
You so seldom see depictions of gay characters other than sophisticated urbanites, and yeah it is special to see such a portrait of characters who would usually be dismissed as trailer trash (by educated urban-dwelling gay people).
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago by a woman saying wistfully she'd rather live in a trailer with her true love than be comfortable in a marriage that wasn't making it. Though poverty can really have a corrosive effect on the strongest love, this film has made me seriously reevaluate some of my own attitudes about money and class (I live in a an up-and-coming neighborhood where the funk is getting pushed out by the money, an old story out here). In it's own way, it addresses a lot of the same issues as "Crash", though maybe a little more quietly.
I think a lot of what we think of as racial issues in this country are actually class issues, though we like to pretend that doesn't exist here.
The affluent couple played by Terrence Howard and Thandie Newton in "Crash" thought their money insulated them from racismm but look who their oppressor was: a white, working-class man using the little bit of power he had to express his own class resentments. And what vehicle does he use? Good old sexual harrassment. It's traumatic for them, but if these were real people, Cameron and Christine have a lot more options in life than Officer Ryan, or Ennis del Mar.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Ennis's Poverty -- by artsybaebe
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 01:27:55 am »
by - taj_e (Mon Mar 13 2006 19:12:50 )   

I can relate with Ennis' poverty
However I don't think Ennis ever thought of trying to make more that he could have. Ennis had the opportunity (choice in fact) to make a better living at least a little better. Ennis just couldn't let himself attached to any work that will hold him longer or in any way comes in between his 'not often' meets with Jack (Jack said, he used to come away easy, now it was like seeing a pope)

Yes, Milena, poverty does has that impact on ones ability to have a 'relationship'

Jack did understand. He wasn't that 'privilege' as we may think. Jack, perhaps saw this problem in Ennis and tried to use what he had to reach out to Ennis (perhaps this was the first issue he touched on when suggesting that they could 'live like this exactly like this'. He had tried all means in fact). Ennis had major problem than poverty that hold him. The only one that really can help Ennis out is himself. The fact that he, out of desperation, admit that he can't stand it anymore (not poverty that is) somehow triggered Jack to be the one who would 'fix it' by quitting him.

***..major unacknowledged factors in the demise of his marriage and even his faltering relationship with Jack..***

I agree. It was one of the major factor. Alma did the right thing (I only hope she is in love with Monroe, but then she is conservative and truly in love with Ennis)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/thread/38162748?d=38162748#38162748

by - Julie01 (Tue Mar 14 2006 01:55:05 )

HOW could you not notice the cigarette (because you never smoked, that's how!). Also, Jack has a lighter, and Ennis doesn't so he borrows Jack's. In the earlier screenplay (and the story--I'm too sleepy to look)--a big point is made of Ennis's nursing one beer at the bar that first day, while Jack is drinking away. When, in conversastion with the waitress, it becomes clear that Ennis has no money for another beer, Jack says the whole tab's on him...in the movie, you'll notice, that first summer, it's always Jack who has the whiskey bottle, and pours some in Ennis's cup, or hands him the bottle to drink from. Jack at least has a pseudo-fleece lined jacket that first summer, whereas Ennis is wearing what looks to me like a CANVAS jacket..though it msy be thin leather.

You're sleepin' on your feet like a horse zzzzz.....

by - vkm91941 (Tue Mar 14 2006 02:27:42 )   

I just want to say how much I've enjoyed reading all the very insightful posts on this thread. Thank You ALL!

Victoria
The world is what you make of it, friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations

by - kirkmusic (Tue Mar 14 2006 03:23:28 )

I never noticed that. I'll look for it when I see it for the 8th time! Thanks. This is a good thread. It's nice to see the board getting over the Oscars and talking about the movie again. Thanks to everyone.

by - krbroussa (Tue Mar 14 2006 04:00:19 )   

Great discussion about the financial situations of both. If you have not read the short story, please do so. It clearly explains at the beginning, and until Jack marries Lureen, how poor they were. There are an additional two paragraphs at the beginning of the short story that Annie Proulx added after the New Yorker publication that makes the story seem like a flashback. The third paragraph in the copyrighted current publication (the first in the original copyrighted New Yorker publication) is, "The were raised on small, poor ranches in opposite corners of the state...both high school dropout country boys with no prospects, brought up to hard work and privation, both rough-mannered, rough-spoken, inured to the stoic life." Later in the motel scene in the short story (very shortened in the film version because Ang Lee wanted to move this pivotal scene to their final meeting), Jack says about rodeoing in Texas before he met Lureen, "I made three *beep* thousand dollars that year. *beep* starved. Had to borrow everything but a toothbrush from other guys. Drove grooves across Texas. Half the time under that *beep* truck fixin' it." While the film is really incredible, there were times that I felt I understood it much better because I had read the short story before seeing it.

by - andros12 (Tue Mar 14 2006 06:18:36 )   

There are no doubt, many relatively "educated" people living lives of personal anonymity simply because they abhor the brown-nosing, plastic relationships that often go with recognition in proper society as Jack's life and that of many accepted societal "awards" so wonderfully demonstrates.

Having grown up just a "skip and a jump" away from where this gorgeous film was made I can comment from personal experience that nothing compares with the freedom and exhilaration of spending seemingly endless days and nights surrounded by the beautiful mountains, lakes and prairies of western Canada.

I think that's the reason that Jack and Ennis always returned to the mountainside. Being at one with nature with no monetary or societal expectations added an authenticity to their relationship that made their in-town associations resemble that of a pair of oxen burdened under a heavy yoke.

krbroussa~   
by - Julie01 (Tue Mar 14 2006 10:22:59 )

One correction: Proulx wrote the short story as we get it in "Close Range," "Story to Screenplay" and the individual "Brokeback Mountain," published since the movie came out. The New Yorker CUT those two italicized paragraphs, and made other cuts as well, and--possibly because she had alrewady sent it somewhere else first, and couldn't believe the New Yorker was going to publish it--she allowed them. But when she came to include the story in "Close Range: Wyoming Stories," she RESTORED it to the way she had ORIGINALLY written it.

Thus, I at first decided I didn't want ther New Yorker of Octoiber 13, 1997. By the time I decioded i did, after all, it was far too late...

You're sleepin' on your feet like a horse

by - artsybaebe (Tue Mar 14 2006 10:46:22 )   

yes lauragigs, money *is* associated with masculinity . . . that's precisely what I meant when I said that Alma was 'emasculating' him by suggesting that he wasn't supporting his kids properly (whether or not in doing so she did them both a favour is another question).

poverty   
by - Front-Ranger (Tue Mar 14 2006 16:12:18 )   

One thing I have never understood is why Ennis is still paying child support after Alma marries Monroe. They are living in Monroe's house and their expenses wouldn't be that much. Monroe, a compassionate guy, would surely adopt them and Alma would be happy to see all connection to Ennis removed. I thought that child support obligations ended when the mother remarries. One possible explanation is that Ennis is lying to Jack about it. Having to pay child support distances him from Jack and gives him an excuse for not spending more time with Jack, which he is afraid to do. He's afraid of what people will think and also afraid of losing control.

Re: poverty   
by - fernly (Tue Mar 14 2006 16:16:28 )   

If Ennis was paying alimony, that would probably stop on the ex-spouse's remarriage, but child support would continue. Given his love for his daughters, I can't see Ennis agreeing to let Monroe adopt the girls, no matter what.

by - jshane2002 (Tue Mar 14 2006 17:50:50 )

There's another discussion from a week or so ago about Ennis' ability to afford the horses he keeps.

When I find it I will update this post here. Some folks from southern or western states who were familiar with horse husbandry and what it costs wrote in with interesting input.

by - Damaged_Roses (Tue Mar 14 2006 17:55:06 )   

Possible.

When I always do that when I don't have enough money to buy cigarettes for the whole week. Hate it.

That movie could have been called Brokeback Monkey

by - northernlad (Tue Mar 14 2006 19:08:29 )   

I'm going to chime in here as well and say thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts here. I love reading these types of topics about this movie.

Also, I never noticed the cigarette thing with Ennis, and I smoke. I've been there and done that though, especially these days. I'll have to catch that when I see it again.

"And I need you more than want you and I want you for all time"

by - kevinmcg (Tue Mar 14 2006 19:15:32 )   

I don't think it's emasculating for a woman to speak up for her own re-production, epecially when she knows that having another child is going to make them all poorer and more miserable. Frankly, ennis has been going along for years trying to believe he's doing the right thing, when in fact he's been doing the wrong thing.

Jack n' Ennis forever

by - taj_e (Tue Mar 14 2006 19:31:11 )   

jshane2002
I believe, Ennis had a place for the horses and in return he was oblidged to do chores (I might have read in in the book)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/thread/38162748?d=38162748#38162748

by - hibbler (Tue Mar 14 2006 19:43:09 )

I am enjoying this thread very much; the monetary differences between Jack and Ennis as time went on is an interesting part of the story to me. I always felt that Jack enjoyed having the money. He always had a nice watch, rings, new clothes, and late model trucks. But I feel in my heart he would have given it up if Ennis had agreed to ranch up with him. I think he would have given it up EASILY.

by - BannerHill (Fri Mar 17 2006 12:51:09 )

I certainly never noticed Ennis relighting the cigarette that he had already smoked.

This is a great observation, and reason enough to go back and see this masterpiece for the tenth time.

"Hey Ennis, do you know someone named 'Jack'?"

Re: poverty   
by - oilgun (Fri Mar 17 2006 13:22:21 )

One thing I have never understood is why Ennis is still paying child support after Alma marries Monroe.

At the divorce proceedings the judge decreed that Ennis had to pay a certain amount($250?)per child until they turned 18. He didn't say anything about it stopping if Alma got remarried which I thought was strange and the amount seemed rather high.

Great thread guys, what a relief!

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence
- C. Hitchens

by - Bahu (Sat Mar 18 2006 10:15:21 )   

Both Jack and Ennis were drop outs.

However I felt that Ennis had such a poor opinion of himself he cuoldn't see him succeeding at much. Also I don't think he would ever succeed at an inside job as he would have to work and socialize with others which I don't think he was equipped to do. After all he had the fear that everyone knew what he was. On a ranch with animals where there is just so much physical work to be done it wasn't necessary to become friendly. He would have been told what his duties were and then he would have spent the rest of the time with the animals.
Even when he went to bars he stayed to himself.

Jack on the other hand needed to socialize. He craved being with people. When he was turned down by the clown I think he craved being touched so much that even Lureen was better than being alone. I also think he succeeded in being a salesman because he was always trying to sell himself or some dream he had anyway.

They both started out dirt poor. The difference was that Ennis believed he would always be that way and therefore didn't try to better himself and Jack always believed better times were on the horizon.

It was never the money that did them in. It was the fact that Ennis believed nothing could change and Jack in believing that things could be different (both monetarily and peoples ability to accept them for what they were).

by - terryhall2 (Sat Mar 18 2006 10:49:47 )   

Quick comment to Mary: how do we know Jack was the bottom apart from that one scene? Actually, in the story Ennis plays that role in the motel scene. Jack even says he must have got those thighs from all the horseridinbg Ennis does. Real love is sharing!

by - lauragigs (Sat Mar 18 2006 21:10:21 )   

"Jack succeeded in being a salesman because he was always trying to sell himself or some dream he had anyway. . . he always believed better times were on the horizon. . . Ennis believed nothing could change and Jack in believing that things could be different (both monetarily and peoples' ability to accept them for what they were)."

Good points, Bahu.

by - slcm 6 days ago (Wed Mar 22 2006 17:48:54 )

But I feel in my heart he would have given it up if Ennis had agreed to ranch up with him. I think he would have given it up EASILY.
-----------------------------------------------------
I am not sure about this. I wonder why Jack did not move closer to Riverton so that they could see each other once a month or so. I think it is partly because he had a good situation in Texas--money, business trips (it's in the book), fancy parties, social status. Sometimes people make bargains that they don't necessarily like.

Or did he think that Ennis would not agree to see him more often even if he moved closer? Based on the after-the-divorce scene, I can see why he would feel that way.

by - crissttigaldames 3 days ago (Sat Mar 25 2006 15:34:48 )   

What an interesting thread.

I think that in the case Ennis tried to use his poverty to control Jack, it was in an unconscious way.
And that Jack's intrest in money, in having expensive things, wasn't for any other reason than trying to compensate for the things he did need and did not have.

"The Love you take is equal to the Love you make" The Beatles.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40