Author Topic: Supermarket Scene --by dcj47a  (Read 3136 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Supermarket Scene --by dcj47a
« on: June 18, 2007, 02:13:57 am »
REPOST
========================================================
Supermarket Scene   
by - dcij47a (Tue Mar 14 2006 08:56:35 )   

Hi!

There are a few things which I gathered from watching the scene in the supermarket:

1) Ennis has poor education
2) Monroe has a big crush on Alma
3) Ennis was careless in her relationship with Alma, i.e. not considering Alma's job and difficulties.

Just curious to know what others feel about this particular scene? Were there more to it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read it somewhere that Ang Lee intended to put this scene after the reunion of Ennis and Jack but later decided to put it earlier. The first time I saw this clip from the internet that was what I have guessed..... Ennis was going to meet Jack right after she dropped the girls in the supermarket.

Jack Twist: Tell you what. The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Re: Supermarket Scene   
by - pipedream (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:08:53 )   

UPDATED Tue Mar 14 2006 09:09:56
In my opinion this scene's main purpose is to introduce the character of Monroe (and his crush on Alma). It would have been strange if the sincere and loving Alma would eventually have married a total stranger out of the blue.
At the same time it offered an opportunity to portray Ennis as a man who just couldn't stand being confined in the house with the children. He simply had to follow that call from his boss.

by - moonjammer (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:15:40 )   

Ennis was careless in her relationship with Alma

? Are you gender challenged

Keep bending me until I am completely broken!

by - davidinhartford (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:15:45 )   

Agreed except for number 3.

Ennis isn't careless about Alma's job. He is thinking of HIS job and keeping his boss happy. He needs to be on his bosses good side so he can get time off when Jack is available. Also, it is a macho thing. The man is supposed to be the provider. The wifes job was secondary then.

by - dcij47a (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:16:47 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
Hi Pipe,

Thanks.

hmmm..... But I think Ennis actually likes to stay indoors? Rememeber he was watching TV on Saturday night?

Jack Twist: Tell you what. The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

by - moonjammer (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:18:16 )   

Boy did I get that whole thing wrong. I thought Ennis dumped the kids on Alma because he was going to meet Jack. And the boss thing was just a lie.

by - catlin24 (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:18:28 )   

The fact that Ennis had only one year of high school had already been established.

I think the purpose of this scene was to show that Monroe had a big crush on Alma and to show that Alma and Ennis were struggling with work issues and finances. I think the fact that Alma had to work (I imagine that in the setting where the story took place, it was assumed that the wife would stay at home and tend to the kids unless the husband didn't make enough money)emphasized this. I think this scene makes it clear why Monroe was who she chose later in the movie.

by - taj_e (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:18:47 )   

UPDATED Tue Mar 14 2006 09:19:20
IMO It also shows how Alma might have feared Ennis although later Alma did argue with him over taking extra shift (years later that is)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/thread/38162748?d=38162748#38162748

by - dcij47a (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:19:43 )   

Thanks David,

But this scene happen *before* the reunion. Jack was not the motivator then.
Like your "macho" explaination.

by - momoro (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:22:29 )   

Ennis is certainly undereducated--there are many signs of this throughout the film, not least of them being Ennis's own admission to having only one year of high school to his credit. Jack seems to have had greater access to education, and is a bit more articulate than Ennis, but also seems to be lacking in educational polish. This adds to the poignany of the dilemma facing the two friends, as neither particularly possesses the verbal skills to express the complex feelings that become such potent forces in their lives.

Monroe is clearly sympathetic to Alma, and I agree that there is a suggestion of attraction in his demeanor and reaction to Alma's problem.

Ennis clearly felt that his own job trumped Alma's in importance. This could be, as some have suggested, an illustration of a sexist attitude on Ennis's part (which would not be extraordinary, given the time and place in which the story is set). The most telling detail of this scene for me is the look that Ennis gives Alma, at the moment when she defends her own responsibilities, and she immediately backs down, acquiescing to her husband's demands. This suggests fear on Alma's part to me, not necessarily suggesting that Ennis had been violent with Alma, but that she fears that he could be. On the other hand, there is a later scene when Alma insists on going to work, even though Ennis angrily demands her presence at home. And Alma also initiates the divorce, indicating that she has enough courage to undertake a painful but necessary (to her mind) decision.

One other important element of the grocery store scene is that it illustrates how much of a hard worker Ennis really is. He is conscientious and responsible, and is not afraid to attend his duties when and where he is needed (this is complicated, of course, by his later reunion with Jack, when Ennis, for a time, is willing to forego work in order to accommodate Jack's new presence in his life).

Nothing compares, I think, when thinking right, to a good friend.

by - dcij47a (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:23:05 )   

"I thought Ennis dumped the kids on Alma because he was going to meet Jack. And the boss thing was just a lie."

Right. That was what I though just by watching the clip and before watching the movie itself. It does looks like that, doesn't it. But this scene wppears BEFORE the first postcard arrive. This will work extremely well if put much later.

by - dcij47a (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:27:31 )   

And BTW, what is a "transmitor"?? Ennis mentioned the thing broke and he stopped going to school. Why??

by - moonjammer (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:29:19 )   

I took this standing up to Ennis as being because he had just returned from being with Jack. And she was really pissed at him and wasn't about to stay there with him. Just my thought.

I think he was talking about the transmission.

by - grghls (Tue Mar 14 2006 09:48:01 )   

one of the things that struck me about this scene is that when alma tries to argue with ennis he silences her with a look that it is extremely threatening. to me it indicates that ennis is threatening physical violence if he doesn't get his way. i also noticed this in the the 4th of july scene where alma seems to be more afraid of ennis than she is of the bikers. alma becomes very agitated and afraid as soon as she realizes that ennis is getting angry and even tries to stop him from confronting the bikers. it always surprised me that no one else ever mentioned alma's fear of ennis in these scenes. before the academy awards michelle williams indicated in an interview (i believe it was on video but i cannot recall which one) that she played her character as the victim of physical abuse from ennis. i certainly picked this up. did anyone else?
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Supermarket Scene --by dcj47a
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:14:37 am »
The possibility of abuse   
by - momoro (Tue Mar 14 2006 10:11:10 )   
UPDATED Tue Mar 14 2006 11:07:14
There is certainly a suggestion that abuse was present in Ennis and Alma's marriage, or that at least Alma feared that there could be violence. We never actually see any, and are only shown Ennis's violent reactions to other men. But I don't think there can be any doubt that Alma did fear Ennis, and perhaps had good reason to do so.

Interestingly, Jack seems to have no fear of Ennis, despite the fact that he once was struck by him. At the very least, he does not flinch when Ennis threatens him at their final meeting, and by standing his ground and venting his hurt feelings, actually reduces Ennis to tears. Jack's lie to Ennis about the truth of his affair with Randall might be seen as a product of fear, but I think a fear more of losing Ennis, or hurting his feelings, than a fear of being victimized by him.

by - artsybaebe (Tue Mar 14 2006 10:34:52 )   
yeah, but that's because he doesn't want to go out to the church social, 'the fire and brimstone crowd' as he calls them . . . probably wasn't much else to do on a Sat night

Re: The possibility of abuse   
by - lucise (Tue Mar 14 2006 10:53:23 )   
<<
or that at least Alma feared that there could be violence
>>

I think Alma understood that Ennis' temper was quick and fiery. He just seemed to explode and react rather violently with sometimes little provocation. I agree that she looked pretty scared when Ennis beat up the bikers on the July 4th picnic. ...And who wouldn't be, you could practically see the steam coming out of his ears in that scene :). I think Alma knew that p!ssing Ennis off could have very undesirable consequences, and I am sure that undoubtedly frightened her.

<<
Interestingly, Jack seems to have no fear of Ennis, despite the fact that he once was struck by him.
>>
Again, I agree. I think Jack knew Ennis' soul. He knew that Ennis was a little lamb in a tiger's body. He knew Ennis' insecurities and weaknesses. I think Jack knew that Ennis' threat and anger during their last confrontation was primarily out of Ennis' fear of losing him, not because Ennis could really kill him for going to Mexico. IMO, the reason Jack and Ennis could ever be together for those 20 years was because they complemented each other; they understood each other; although they never completely accepted each other.

'If you sleep through life, you wake up dead.'

by - queen_of_the_troubled_teen (Tue Mar 14 2006 11:08:14 )   
I think the bit in your final paragraph is key here, or at least it is to me. I always thought the point of the supermarket scene was to contrast with the way Ennis threw off work when Jack turned up. He dumps his kids on his wife because he dare not get sacked. Keeping his job seems incredibly important to their life (which is why I assumed Alma acquiesced). Of course, as soon as Jack asks him to take some time off, he doesn't need much persuasion and decides the foreman owes him. The scene sheds further light on the relative importance of Alma and Jack to Ennis. And of course, he continues risking his work to be with Jack, something (his inability to properly support his family) which leads to his divorce.

The only thing is, I can't work out if this theme continues right up until his and Jack's last meeting. Ennis is now more reluctant to take time off work but suggesting that this means Jack has diminished in importance seems to go against everything else in that scene. So perhaps it's just the reality of life catching up with him. Or maybe the fact that he's even taking any time off (I'm guessing he didn't have annual leave entitlements like I do in my job)despite his precarious situation is testament to the enduring strength of his feelings for Ennis.

by - NewHorizons37 (Tue Mar 14 2006 11:08:22 )   
On the other hand, there is a later scene when Alma insists on going to work, even though Ennis angrily demands her presence at home.

This is what I thought was a major reason for the supermarket scene, to set up a contrast between that scene and this later one when Alma defies Ennis. In the early scene, Jack is not yet in the picture, and and things in the marriage are going fairly well (as far as she knows), so she'll back down to her husband in accordance with the expectations of the time and place. In the later scene, the "fishing trips" have been going on for years and she is fed up, and not so willing to take Ennis' chauvinist BS.

by - patsnnott (Tue Mar 14 2006 12:06:56 )   

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I think if Jack and Ennis had been together every day in a real relationship, it never would have lasted twenty years.

"Ole Brokeback got us good!" - Jack Twist

by - delalluvia (Tue Mar 14 2006 12:17:52 )   
I'm with New Horizon and the earlier poster who said Ennis is the man in 1967 Wyoming. HIS job is more important than Alma's no matter what. SHE is supposed to be home taking care of the kids, but because they can't afford for her to be home, she has to work. That, in Ennis's mind, does not make her job equal to his or more important than his.

Forced to go into work by his boss, he would naturally drop the kids off with Alma. Doesn't matter that she's working. SHE is the primary caregiver of the kids, not him.

No, I didn't see Ennis look at Alma as threatening. I simply saw it as a 'Don't start this again, woman' implying a fight is in the making, not violence. And Alma, realizing this and knowing she probably won't win, gives in.

patsnnott

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I think if Jack and Ennis had been together every day in a real relationship, it never would have lasted twenty years.

Maybe, maybe not. Guess we'll never know.

Team Jolie

by - lucise (Tue Mar 14 2006 12:21:38 )   
<<
I think if Jack and Ennis had been together every day in a real relationship, it never would have lasted twenty years.
>>

I think they could've made it. But then again, we'll never know.

by - stevme (Tue Mar 14 2006 12:36:07 )   
One thing that has not been mentioned here, and which I saw discussed at some length in a post of a few weeks ago, was the importance of the food display falling down and the loud noise that accompanies it. It is the loud noise, in particular, that caught peoples' attention. Ang here is providing an exclamation point to this scene. If someone can remember this discussion, I think it might add further light to this interesting analysis.

Food seems to be the theme of the day, as there is another post from today on beans versus soup.

by - grghls (Tue Mar 14 2006 14:30:47 )   
once again DELALLUVIA contradicts someone else's assertion completely disregarding that it is backed up by facts. to reiterate: michelle williams stated in an interview that she played alma as if she had been physically abused by ennis. i added this post to figure out whether this is one of the scenes in BBM in which she tries to convey this. since you feel she did not show it in this scene perhaps you could point to another scene where she did convey it. or if you feel she did not use her acting in this movie to convey her character's fear of ennis you could explain how else she would show it or why she would say she was trying to convery this impression in the first place.

team using logic and reason to find meaning

by - NewHorizons37 (Tue Mar 14 2006 14:40:08 )   
Please provide a source. I have never heard of Michelle Williams saying this. It doesn't fit Ennis' character, and it doesn't fit how Alma ever behaves toward him.

Alma does not appear physically afraid of Ennis in the supermarket scene. If she were, she would never have said, "what about my job?" or made any objection at all about how inconvenient it was to have the kids dumped on her at work. I agree with delalluvia that there was no threat of violence in that scene; simply, when Ennis gave her that "I mean it" look, she knew there was no use resisting further, and gave in. She was not going to win this one.

by - RobertPlant (Tue Mar 14 2006 14:58:50 )   
He is thinking of HIS job and keeping his boss happy

Yes, I think so. This scene is connected with the post reunion one when Ennis is leaving with Jack and Alma asks him if his boss will be agree etc. and he makes a long (for Ennis) speech to explain he has the right to be off work.

and BTW an OT remark:
look at this pic http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7537/hulk29ra.png
Can you see "Hulk"?

I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
over the hills where the spirits fly

by - dcij47a (Tue Mar 14 2006 15:33:58 )   
I think the mess is to illustrate how disatrous Jack's character has made their marriage become.

It is also interesting to note that Michelle has mentioned in one of the interview that the snow sliding that we see in the begining as like their marriage -- "all downhill from there."

by - grghls (Tue Mar 14 2006 16:55:51 )   
i'm sorry i was looking for the exact interview with michelle willimas but i have been coming here pretty regularly and have seen and read so many interviews about BBM that it is impossible to locate or remember the exact source. i can say that there is no doubt in my mind that she said this because i always noticed michelle williams playing alma as if she is terrified of ennis (especially in the 4th of july and grocery store scenes) and when she confirmed that she played alma as a battered wife i thought: i knew it! does anyone else know the exact interview where she states this? it may have been the tv special where they were interviewed on location in alberta.

by - delalluvia (Tue Mar 14 2006 17:02:04 )   
once again DELALLUVIA contradicts someone else's assertion completely disregarding that it is backed up by facts. to reiterate: michelle williams stated in an interview that she played alma as if she had been physically abused by ennis.

OK grghls, please cite your source. I don't recall ever reading this either.

Team Jolie

by - grghls (Tue Mar 14 2006 17:15:44 )   
NEWHORIZONS 37 states: "(physical abuse) doesn't fit ennis' character..."

you're kidding right?

by - NewHorizons37 (Tue Mar 14 2006 18:16:17 )   
UPDATED Tue Mar 14 2006 18:20:04
Toward Alma, no, there is nothing in that indicates physical abuse by Ennis toward Alma. All the scenes before the supermarket scene show affection between them, and her being in love with him, and certainly not afraid. And the fact that she looked so shocked when he went physical on the biker guys on the 4th of July indicates that she had never seen him act this way toward anyone else, either. The supermarket scene shows some friction between them (which happens occasionally in any marriage), but not fear on her part.

The only time Ennis comes close toward hurting Alma -- and note he stops himself and leaves -- is after she provokes him by making it clear that she knows the nature of his and Jack's relationship. If she were afraid of him and there was an abuse past between them, she never would have taken the risk of bringing it up. She was startled by his action because it was out of character for the man she knew.

So how about it -- where is your source that Michelle said she played Alma as having been abused by Ennis? In the early scenes Michelle doesn't play Alma as afraid of Ennis, and the script gives her no context to do so.

by - delalluvia (Tue Mar 14 2006 20:28:54 )   
And the fact that she looked so shocked when he went physical on the biker guys on the 4th of July indicates that she had never seen him act this way toward anyone else, either.

If she were afraid of him and there was an abuse past between them, she never would have taken the risk of bringing it up.

Exactly New. Alma doesn't act like a battered woman. July 4th is probably the first time she's EVER seen any violence out of Ennis and it shocks her.

Team Jolie
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:15:15 am »
by - alex-gowans (Wed Mar 15 2006 14:38:03 )   
catlin24 wrote:

The fact that Ennis had only one year of high school had already been established.

I think the purpose of this scene was to show that Monroe had a big crush on Alma and to show that Alma and Ennis were struggling with work issues and finances. I think the fact that Alma had to work (I imagine that in the setting where the story took place, it was assumed that the wife would stay at home and tend to the kids unless the husband didn't make enough money)emphasized this. I think this scene makes it clear why Monroe was who she chose later in the movie.

and I add:

I agree. I also noticed that the supermarket scene does a couple of other things. First, it paints Monroe as a really, really nice guy (for all he has a crush on a married woman): when Ennis comes looking for Alma, Monroe directs him to the "condiments aisle." When Ennis's reaction is a blank, incomprehending "huh?" Monroe ammends that to "ketchup." In one word, he's altered his response to one Ennis can immediately understand. Given that Monroe is sweet on Ennis's wife, his ability to treat Ennis with care and a complete lack of condescension is pretty impressive.

The other thing I noticed is that Monroe is so infatuated with Alma that he seems almost to welcome any chance to interact with her...up to and including Alma Jr. knocking over the jars of nuts in a great big mess.

So, Alma didn't just wind up with Monroe because he could be a good provider; she wound up with Monroe because he could give her all kinds of attention and support Ennis clearly couldn't give her. If Ennis's regard for Alma had been (entering fantasy land here) equivalent to his regard for Jack, Alma would have scrubbed clothing on a washboard until she was eighty, and smiled while she did so.

by - NewHorizons37 (Wed Mar 15 2006 17:54:04 )   
I think the mess is to illustrate how disatrous Jack's character has made their marriage become.

But the grocery story scene takes place before Jack's character has even shown up, much less made their marriage a shambles.

No, the mess just gives Monroe an opportunity show how nice and forgiving he is to Alma, and how willing he is to do something for her.

by - joyce023 (Sun Mar 19 2006 03:24:34 )   
bump

by - NewHorizons37 (Sun Mar 19 2006 08:07:23 )   
Yep. I just noticed that the screenplay confirms this. The end of the 4th of July scene says:

ALMA and THE GIRLS stare at ENNIS, stunned and wide-eyed: they have witnessed a kind of fury in him that they have never seen before.

by - naun (Sun Mar 19 2006 09:21:35 )   
There is certainly a suggestion that abuse was present in Ennis and Alma's marriage, or that at least Alma feared that there could be violence.

I never got the impression that Alma was afraid of Ennis; it always seemed to me that what she was afraid of was conflict. Something of this personality trait is evident, I think, in the scene where she goes through the mail and then covers up the postcard from Jack, putting it face down on the table beneath the rest of the mail. The reason her marriage lasts as long as it does isn't fear, but denial.

I would find it difficult to square a wife-beating Ennis with the doting father he so clearly is.

by - Bahu (Sun Mar 19 2006 09:53:00 )   
My thoughts about the Supermarket Scene are slightly different from many of the others.

1. I think sexist Ennis believed that he "allowed" Alma to move them to town. He "allowed" her to have a job. But that Ennis was the actual provider and wore the pants in the house. Therefore when their jobs interfered with one another it was her duty to back down. He would never be able to believe that in his "conventional" marriage that they actually needed the money she provided.

2. I don't believe that he thought it was beneath him to look after the girls. I think he actually did the best he knew how to be a good father. I think it was the only love in his life that was free and open. After all when the jars crashed he didn't yell at the girls.

3. He never offered to help in the clean up of the mess. Once again his "conventional" picture would have made it Alma's duty to clean up any messes near by.

4. Also notice the coworker really didn't interfere between what a husband told his wife. Husbands words were law and were to be obeyed.

by - taj_e (Sun Mar 19 2006 10:21:30 )   
BBM doesn't imply anything that Ennis was ever been an abusive person. Pretty much the opposite though
However, I don't deny the fear he had caused over Alma (or Alma just knew where she stands in the family, she was playing the typical housewife then)
All Ennis needs to do was, give her the eye
Alma had no other reason to leave Ennis other than the fact he knew about Jack and for the kids well being AND the 'perfect' family she always believed in
Alma knew Ennis's childhood. She had sympathy and understood the lack of social skills etc
Off topic, in the book she hated it when Ennis flipped her into back positions. Making love the conventional way perhaps wasn't there anymore. Failure in their sex life might have contributed as well

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/thread/38162748?d=38162748#38162748

by - lmedich (Sun Mar 19 2006 10:25:07 )   
yeah. youre wrong.

this convo was funny... \/ \/
Ennis: Where's Alma?
Monroe: Condoments (sp?)
Ennis: What?
Monroe: Uhh- ketchup
Ennis: Thanks.

by - irishfantony (Sun Mar 19 2006 10:38:28 )   
Anybody catch this?

After Alma confronts Ennis at Thanksgiving, Ennis storms out without a word.

The 2 daughters say "Bye, Daddy. Bye." Is it Bye? Or Bi?

Right after that, Ennis almost gets hit by the truck and fights w/ the driver. Ennis knows his secret can't get out.

by - pepfox172 (Sun Mar 19 2006 10:45:13 )   
"...or that at least Alma feared that there could be violence. We never actually see any, and are only shown Ennis's violent reactions to other men."

Yes, it's true that we don't see any violence directed toward Alma, but here is my opinion on her perceiving abuse:

I am married, and my husband has NEVER been abusive toward me...BUT, he is a big guy, bigger than me, and I am aware that he COULD hurt me, even unintentionally. I was raised to be aware that men are "bigger" for the most part, and to have an unhealthy fear in the back of my mind. I guess it's from my mother over-imposing her wariness on me and my sisters: telling us about the horrors that could come upon us by men, and to always be on our guards. It's good for women to be watchful, but my mother took it to an extreme. So, to end a long post...I don't believe my husband would ever hurt me or the children, but in the deep recesses of my brain, I sometimes fear that any man could hurt a woman. Maybe that's what Alma was thinking.

FYI...LOL, that doesn't stop me from being a spitfire when I want to be! After being with him for as long as I have, I am not afraid of him. :-)

by - typhonblue (Sun Mar 19 2006 11:19:56 )   
It has nothing to do with sexism on Ennis' part. Or, if it does, then there is equivalent sexism on Alma's part.

Why Ennis brought the kids to Alma?

1. Ennis' job is more physically demanding. When he's called up he *cannot* have children with him. Alma could, theoretically.

2. Ennis' job pays more so it is the priority.

3. Alma has more options when it comes to child care as she has more RELATIVES to call upon, as evidenced by her decision to give the kids to her sister.

I also believe this scene sets up Alma's resentment at having to work. She expects Ennis to provide for whatever livestyle she wants and resents having to work to pay for their kids and the apartment she chose to live in.

What I got from her look when she said "What about my job?" was that she meant... "You forced me to work by being a bad provider, if you were better I wouldn't have to be here working, I'd be at home taking care of the kids and we wouldn't be having this problem!"

That also explains Ennis' somewhat shocked and angry reaction to her statement. The words are unspoken, but there. No doubt established in previous arguments.

Fans of BBM != Gay Community
www.blackandbluetriangle.com/forum

The two can coexist in one person   
by - momoro (Mon Mar 20 2006 08:56:45 )   
I would find it difficult to square a wife-beating Ennis with the doting father he so clearly is.
As the child of parents of whom the wife was battered by her husband, I can testify that a man abusive to his wife can still be loving and concerned regarding his children by that wife. I wouldn't call my father doting (Ennis is actually a better father to his daughters than my father has been to my sister and me), but he nonetheless has always shown concern for us and has always wanted to remain a part of our lives.

Now, having conceded that it is possible for a wife-beating man to love his children, I can say that my father's temper and abusive tendencies did make my sister and I afraid of him. Knowing that he had such rage in him made us very cautious about how we behaved around him, though that rage never extended to us. Alma Junior and Jenny never show any fear towards Ennis, which might well suggest that they had never observed any ill treatment of their mother from their father, perhaps because any such abuse simply never occurred. Again, the movie never actually shows Ennis being violent with Alma, save for the possible exception of the Thanksgiving scene, when they are divorced, and Ennis, despite his great anger, restrains himself eventually from hurting Alma further and just storms out of the house.

by - lucise (Mon Mar 20 2006 10:11:20 )   
<<
After all when the jars crashed he didn't yell at the girls.
3. He never offered to help in the clean up of the mess. Once again his "conventional" picture would have made it Alma's duty to clean up any messes near by.
>>

Note that Ennis had already left when Alma Jr pulls one of the jars, causing the mess. When Alma decided to take the girls and said she would call her sister to see if she could babysit, Ennis was pleased, kissed Alma Jr saying "be a good girl for your mom alright" and he left...before the jars came crashing down.

So the points above are not accurate IMO.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:15:56 am »
by - pipedream (Mon Mar 20 2006 15:06:04 )   
UPDATED Mon Mar 20 2006 23:10:51
typhonblue, I couldn't disagree more. Don't be unfair, and listen to the words of a working mom:
I also believe this scene sets up Alma's resentment at having to work.

On the contrary. She was stuck at home with the kids and her household. She enjoyed doing something else once in a while, and Ennis just ruined it in this scene. She was actually quite sweet to endure it. I sure as hell wouldn't have put back so easily.
She expects Ennis to provide for whatever livestyle she wants and resents having to work to pay for their kids and the apartment she chose to live in.

Are you joking??? What sort of "livestyle" do you think poor Alma was alluding to when she begged Ennis to move to town? All she wanted was an affordable appartment, not too far away from the doctor because one of the kids had asthma. Plus: they were little girls who needed other children to play with. She never asked for any luxury! She was just a loving and caring mother!
What I got from her look when she said "What about my job?" was that she meant... "You forced me to work by being a bad provider, if you were better I wouldn't have to be here working, I'd be at home taking care of the kids and we wouldn't be having this problem!"

No. She was just expecting a certain degree of respect for the efforts she was willing to take in order to ensure her familiy a better living.

I am sorry, typhonblue. But you don't seem to have any clue of what family-life is all about. Have you ever been in charge of a household? Have you ever had kids and been responsible for their well-being?
Have you ever been in Alma's situation? She obviously got very very little help from her husband. Everything was up to her and he was just out of reach. He never took them to a holiday. Alma was struggeling all by herself, stuck with what she got. Don't condemn her. She was just a very nice girl who had fallen for the wrong guy.

If ever I should tell the moment: Oh, stay! You are so beautiful! Then you may cast me into chains, then shall I smile upon perdition! (Goethe)

by - nedrazeall (Mon Mar 20 2006 15:34:11 )   
That's not the Hulk, it's the Green Giant. A line of canned and frozen vegetables. Don't you remember those commercials? Ho-ho-ho... Grean Giant. http://www.greengiant.com/

----
I've got something to say. It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Re: The two can coexist in one person   
by - naun (Mon Mar 20 2006 17:04:00 )   
Momoro,

What you say makes sense. I admire your ability to put such difficult experiences into perspective.

by - delalluvia (Mon Mar 20 2006 17:12:02 )   
UPDATED Mon Mar 20 2006 17:16:53
Are you joking??? What sort of "livestyle" do you think poor Alma was alluding to when she begged Ennis to move to town? All she wanted was an affordable appartment, not too far away from the doctor because one of the kids had asthma. Plus: they were little girls who needed other children to play with. She never asked for any luxury! She was just a loving and caring mother!

This is interesting pipedream. When Alma first brings up the possibility of moving to town to Ennis, it isn't Jenny's health that is her primary reason. First and most importantly to Alma, it's 'lonely' out there. SHE is alone out there with the mental companionship of a two year old. Most stay at home moms I know prefer to have other adults to talk to - other stay at home moms, the grocery store clerks, the shopgirls - SOMEone to talk to other than the kids.

Notice, the laundromat apartment is in town. In TOWN. It isn't near a neighborhood or a school. The kids STILL play by themselves. They have no neighbors that we see. What gets 'resolved' by moving them to town is Alma's desire for community and company.

Team Jolie

by - slcm (Mon Mar 20 2006 17:59:54 )   
Alma does not appear physically afraid of Ennis in the supermarket scene.

I agree--I could not imagine Ennis hitting either Alma or the kids. Remember when she asked him to use a condom? He did not force her to continue.

by - pipedream (Mon Mar 20 2006 23:17:56 )   
UPDATED Mon Mar 20 2006 23:20:39
Most stay at home moms I know prefer to have other adults to talk to - other stay at home moms, the grocery store clerks, the shopgirls - SOMEone to talk to other than the kids.
Certainly. This was what I meant with "she enjoyed doing something else once in a while". Having nobody to talk to but toddlers can indeed drive you nuts. I agree: her desire for company will definitely have played a major role in the decision to move to town. But then, what's wrong with that? She is a young woman after all. I don't consider her selfish.

by - gregspace (Mon Mar 20 2006 23:41:33 )   
Y'all are missing the point of this scene. Has nothing to do with education, Monroe, spousal abuse, etc....

This scene portrays the burdens and utter soul-crushing responsibilities of a loveless marriage with children as opposed to prancing about on a mountain with your buddy.

In what other scene did something make a mess and food was scattered all over the place? Remember the pack mule on the mountain? Ennis has been turned into a pack mule by this loveless, burdensome marriage in which neither of them are being fulfilled.