Author Topic: My Unscientific and Statistically Meaningless Office Poll... -- by "TOoP"  (Read 2112 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
My Unscientific and Statistically Meaningless Office Poll...   
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   (Fri Feb 16 2007 07:30:59 )   

UPDATED Fri Feb 16 2007 07:34:41
The subject of the Academy Awards came up at work, and I casually asked 10 of my co-workers whether they remembered which film took home the Best Picture award.

Seven thought it went to BbM.
Two thought it went to some other picture, but couldn't remember what it was.
One was able to correctly identify the film that took home the award.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Re: My Unscientific and Statistically Meaningless Office Poll...   
  by stephen-mellor   (Fri Feb 16 2007 12:08:48 )   

Looks like we won, after all!

by littlewing1957   (Fri Feb 16 2007 12:13:34 )

You bet we did!

by Dancing_Bear   (Fri Feb 16 2007 12:25:38 )

I wonder that I caught the Academy Awards at all last year, I hadn't watched them since Rob Lowe cavorted on stage with Snow White (which was hilarious actually when the camera panned the faces of the audience), and I am not very much up on my facts and figures regarding the awards myself. But I do remember thinking how sweet it was when Gustavo Santaolalla won his Oscar, he was so ecstatic, bobbing about a bit and happy happy happy. I'm afraid the environment I work in mostly could be described as 'yogurt has more culture'... one of the circumstances of life I'm hoping to change...

by tomtrueman   (Fri Feb 16 2007 14:26:56 )

That's hilarious, Oracle! Seven out of ten were right. I have to grit my teeth at this time of the year, with all this "Road to the Oscars" crap -- as if it was some kind of ultimate destination. The AMPAS thinks it's so important, but their award show has become a really bad joke. It's nothing more than an excuse for a fashion show.

I thought it was interesting, though -- I belong to a men's group where Academy Awards parties were always a big event. They used to call it the "Gay Superbowl". People would gather and drink champagne and watch the whole thing, from Barbara Walters interviewing nominees, through red carpet arrivals, right to the bitter end.

But this year, no parties at all have been planned. Not a single one. I MIGHT watch the beginning, just to see if Ellen honours us or sells out -- and then I'm turning that sucker off and watching my DVD of the real Best Picture of last year, Brokeback Mountain.

by Dbrockerskk   (Fri Feb 16 2007 15:07:41 )

Me too!

by montse91_4   (Fri Feb 16 2007 15:17:45 )   

UPDATED Fri Feb 16 2007 15:18:32
I even saw a 2006 tv special at new years eve where they said "Brokeback won 4 oscars including best movie" and I was like  when?

What else should I be, all apologies.
Life goes on, but I'm gone, cause I die without you.

by ScissorhandsRaineyluv   (Fri Feb 16 2007 16:11:34 )

We should all just watch BBM that night. Screw the Oscars!

"Should he tell her? Should he not tell her? He's torn, Georgie. This is drama." Ed Wood

by VlnByzRSxy   (Fri Feb 16 2007 17:03:15 )

im there!

"You bet."

"Love Is A Force Of Nature"
~Brokeback Mountain
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40