Author Topic: The White Truck that Goes by -- by jv_rules_1  (Read 3578 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The White Truck that Goes by -- by jv_rules_1
« on: June 18, 2007, 09:13:11 am »
Reposted from the Archives...
===========================================================

The White Truck that goes by...   
by jv_rules_1 (Sun Apr 2 2006 08:28:52 )   

There is probably a thread about this but i looked for it a bit and didnt find it..

but remember, right after ennis got his divorce and jack comes to see him all so happy,
ennis tells him that he has his daughters for the weekend etc etc.. but during that conversation, he looks afar and sees a white truck pass... then, jack turns back and looks at it as well.

what could this possibly mean???

Re: The White Truck that goes by...   
by stitchbuffymoulinfan (Sun Apr 2 2006 08:42:25 )   

That Ennis was uncomfortable with the thought that maybe somebody was watching them, and knew.

www.jlodown.com
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/jlodown

by naun (Sun Apr 2 2006 08:57:39 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 2 2006 09:00:18
As someone pointed out in another thread, Jack has just told Ennis that he has asked "about ten people" for his address, and Ennis, always afraid of being found out, is suddenly very edgy about passing strangers. (P.S. I see stitchbuffy has pointed out the same thing here, as well.)

On a symbolic level, the white truck is one of several elements in this scene that may be significant. First of all, the truck is white, and some have suggested that white is a colour associated in this movie with death (or judgement, or fate, or some such idea). Think of Ennis waking up alone in the snow, or the stark white of the Twist home. Second, we hear crows (or ravens, or whatever they are) in the background in this scene, and there is a crow flying above the truck. Crows, of course, are also a symbol of death. When Ennis opens the window in Jack's room at the end of the movie, we hear crows again. Third, several people have suggested that this scene is the emotional turning-point of the film, the point at which the relationship becomes doomed. I have a feeling that Jack's truck reversing away from Ennis when he departs in this scene serves as a visual signal of this turning-point.

Just a random association to finish off, but the combination of crows, open crop fields, and a vivid sky somehow reminds me of those Van Gogh paintings of similar subjects.

by naun (Sun Apr 2 2006 10:00:31 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 2 2006 10:05:42
A further speculative thought on the white truck. I'm toying with the idea that there may be an internal direction scheme in this film. Others have previously pointed out that the truck that Ennis is travelling in at the beginning of the film goes in the opposite direction from the one he travels in at the end. But perhaps, just perhaps, there is room to develop this thought.

In fateful scenes like the post-divorce encounter and the "deceased" postcard scene we see a truck travelling from right to left. But in scenes of liberation or escape, like the first fishing trip or Jack's flight to Mexico, the truck travels from left to right. When Ennis travels home from Lightning Flat, his truck travels left to right. I am tempted by the idea that the white truck and crow travelling from right to left in the post-divorce scene are symbolically headed toward Lightning Flat.

by dancinjinn (Sun Apr 2 2006 10:25:04 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 2 2006 10:49:57
Naun,
That's interesting you mention that white seems to be associated with death or fate in the film because in China and Taiwan, white is the death color. I'd seen a lot of discussion of meanings of colors in this film but had somehow missed the symbolism of the color white.
And speaking of colors in Chinese culture, red is the color of happiness. I don't remember seeing much red in the film (maybe on the post office?) but I haven't seen the movie in a long time. If red was on the post office right before the last postcard scene, I wonder what it meant. Maybe that Ennis was finally ready to accept happiness for himself until his plans were dashed by the postcard.
I'll refresh my memory of film colors on April 4 but would still be interested in what anyone else thinks/remembers.

Red   
by tryagain-5 (Mon Apr 3 2006 11:39:33 )   

OMG, if red is happiness, in the reunions scene, Jack is wearing red and I think he's driving a red truck. Talk about happiness!

Red   
by dancinjinn (Sun Apr 9 2006 07:23:03 )   

Yeah, I had forgotten about the red truck until I saw the movie on DVD. That scene of the red truck heading into the mountains during the reunion is one of the happiest scenes I've ever seen.
Of course, there's also Lureen's red hat and her initial association with red. Not sure how that figures into the happiness theme. Guess she just started out as a happy person until all the color drained out of her and her hair went blond?

by LauraGigs (Sun Apr 2 2006 10:26:29 )   

UPDATED Tue Apr 11 2006 08:01:34
Hmmm.... For westerners at least, left-to-right movement is said to feel "natural", so according to film/drama 101 books, right-to-left movement across a stage or screen is meant to suggest disturbance and be somewhat jarring. The truck is also going uphill -- against gravity, against nature.

Many trucks of the time (such as the one Jack drives that day) had 2 contrasting colors, so the all-white color of the passing truck is no accident. I definitely agree it suggests death (White : Chinese culture :: Black : Western culture).
Someone posted on another thread that the moment they saw snow outside the tent the last morning on Brokeback, they knew Jack would die.

(Interesting that Ennis seems bothered by the fact that Jack asked 10 people where he was. It means 9 out of 10 people in that tiny community didn't know, and therefore Ennis had much more privacy and anonymity than his paranoia allowed him to believe!)

by naun (Sun Apr 2 2006 16:26:26 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 2 2006 16:39:14
For westerners at least, left-to-right movement is said to feel "natural", so according to film/drama 101 books, right-to-left movement across a stage or screen is meant to suggest disturbance and be somewhat jarring. Also IIRC, the truck is going uphill -- against gravity, against nature.

Thanks for this bit of information, laura. Ang Lee obviously read the same drama 101 texts that you did! I believe you're right as well about the truck going up a slope.

the all-white color of the passing truck is no accident. I definitely agree it suggests death (White : Chinese culture :: Black : Western culture).

With the white truck and the black crow, Lee has his bases covered.

The colour white has another, related association that I'm hoping somebody can shed light on. Puritanism was, I understand, an outgrowth of the Reformation, a period when many churches were literally whitewashed, resulting in severe interiors very like the Twist family home. Can anyone out there elaborate on the significance of the colour white in this religious movement?

by jeaniebaby001 (Sun May 14 2006 13:43:13 )   

UPDATED Sun May 14 2006 23:38:47
Hmmm.... For westerners at least, left-to-right movement is said to feel "natural", so according to film/drama 101 books, right-to-left movement across a stage or screen is meant to suggest disturbance and be somewhat jarring. The truck is also going uphill -- against gravity, against nature.

In the openning scene of the movie, the train was going from right to left (but the afterimage you get is left to right), wiping out Heath in the background...then, slowly, Jake's black truck meanders up the road, ominously, from right-to-left.... spoooky. very edgar allen poe.

"William Buckley wrote a book at Yale; I read one"~ GW Bush
I'll hug your elephant if you kiss my ass

by NewHorizons37 (Sun Apr 2 2006 17:40:25 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 2 2006 17:41:21
several people have suggested that this scene is the emotional turning-point of the film, the point at which the relationship becomes doomed. I have a feeling that Jack's truck reversing away from Ennis when he departs in this scene serves as a visual signal of this turning-point.

That's a good way to put it. It always struck me when watching that scene, that there was plenty of room for Jack to turn around so he could drive out facing forward, yet he backed out. He was looking back toward the way he had come in, symbolically looking at the past, a time when he had hope for the relationship. Very powerful.

by latjoremekeed (Sun Apr 2 2006 17:44:36 )   

the truck is white, and some have suggested that white is a colour associated in this movie with death (or judgement, or fate, or some such idea). Think of Ennis waking up alone in the snow, or the stark white of the Twist home. Second, we hear crows (or ravens, or whatever they are) in the background in this scene, and there is a crow flying above the truck. Crows, of course, are also a symbol of death. When Ennis opens the window in Jack's room at the end of the movie, we hear crows again. Third, several people have suggested that this scene is the emotional turning-point of the film, the point at which the relationship becomes doomed. I have a feeling that Jack's truck reversing away from Ennis when he departs in this scene serves as a visual signal of this turning-point.

Very nicely analyzed and expressed, Naun!

by amandazehnder (Mon Apr 3 2006 07:16:33 )   

Wow. I love threads that are about the symbolism in the movie. The discussions above are great. This really is a turning point moment... after which Jack never quite seems to be the same again. He smiles less and less, etc. After watching the film several times I get increasingly frustrated with Ennis at this point. I just want to shake him to wake him up to realize that Jack is more important than what the random guy in the truck might be thinking. Ennis keeps missing opportunities for happiness during the 20 year relationship and this is probably the biggest. I think the look of guilt on Ennis's face as Jack turns to go back to his truck is great.

It was probably also something of a mistake for Jack to surprise Ennis like that. I would think he'd know that that would ruffle Ennis's feathers. Jack's patience is amazing in that he doesn't think twice about coming back in a month for their normal meeting. I mean he just learned that not only does Ennis not have the courage to live with him... he doesn't have the courage to be seen with him. Sad.

by LauraGigs (Mon Apr 3 2006 10:33:46 )   

UPDATED Tue Apr 11 2006 08:06:10
"The colour white has another, related association that I'm hoping somebody can shed light on. Puritanism was, I understand, an outgrowth of the Reformation, a period when many churches were literally whitewashed, resulting in severe interiors very like the Twist family home. Can anyone out there elaborate on the significance of the colour white in this religious movement?"

The Reformation, essentially, protested the excesses and "idolatry" of the Roman Catholic establishment. In decor and dress, this expressed itself in bare-bones practicality and simplicity. Churches were simple, whitewashed wooden structures (and priests wore what has evolved into the all-black outfit with white in the center of the collar, which we see today). This aesthetic dovetailed nicely with frontier life in the newly-settled United States (Shaker furniture, for example). Many settlers were protestant, and there wasn't much room for frivolity in the settlement lifestyle. The color white has a general connotation of purity, but doesn't have the strong, specific associations that it seems to have in the Far East.

So anyway, the sparsity of decor in the senior Twists' home has a direct precedent and significance. And its white interior sets off the few, significant decorative items therein such as the crucifix and (Jack's?) black hat.

by jlilya (Sun Apr 9 2006 04:38:54 )   

In the following scene when Jack is heading home we see Jack in his pickup crying with his hand/arm up to his face. He is wearing what I assume is a wedding ring (commitment) and a watch (time). He shakes his head to clear away the crying as if he's saying "No". I think that this basically reinforces what he's thinking " I've wasted enough time on Ennis, times running out, I need to find someone new, he doesn't deserve my commitment". I think it is the beginning of these feelings anyway. And as we see with the prostitute and Randall, thats where Jack goes.

by jaaguir (Mon Apr 3 2006 11:29:52 )   

I know this may be slightly off-topic on this thread but I hope I'm not bothering you. naun wrote:

"As someone pointed out in another thread, Jack has just told Ennis that he has asked "about ten people" for his address, and Ennis, always afraid of being found out, is suddenly very edgy about passing strangers."

Did anybody notice there's a shot in the movie's trailer that shows two men that look like mechanics in front of their garage staring at something off camera? Do you think this shot could refer to when Jack is asking for Ennis' directions around town?

Just a thought.

by taj_e (Mon May 15 2006 07:23:13 )   

Just a random association to finish off, but the combination of crows, open crop fields, and a vivid sky somehow reminds me of those Van Gogh paintings of similar subjects

Interesting Naun
Most of Van Gogh's paintings look the same to me. Not that I know them by name nor understand them, but are you saying it talks about death/judgement/fate or similar?
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The White Truck that Goes by -- by jv_rules_1
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:13:48 am »
by BreDigsTheJakeness (Sun Apr 9 2006 04:33:10 )   

I figured he was afraid that someone would see them.

Love, Bre <3 <3
by tmolthan (Sun Apr 9 2006 05:11:32 )   

Many great observations here, and they will go on forever. It's Ang Lee's (and the actors') attention to ambiguous detail that are cementing Brokeback's place as one of the all-time classics. Wow.

by StreetWithNoName (Sun Apr 9 2006 09:32:35 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 9 2006 09:38:26
I interpreted the white truck as representing the "eyes" of society, carefully watching Jack and Ennis as they make subtle romantic/sexual gestures towards each other. This is why the latter is so reticent about getting close to the former; he fears that they will get caught.

As for the truck's white color, I guess the whole "white = death" theory holds water because that particular scene marks a crucial point in characters' relationship; Jack knows what he wants with Ennis, and on some level, the feeling is mutual, but their love will never take fruition because of the social restrictions around them.

by tmolthan (Sun Apr 9 2006 13:35:55 )   

And then there is the black bird that is flying right above the white truck...

by tillerman-1 (Mon Apr 10 2006 11:41:45 )   

Everybody is talking about the use of colour and how it means something more then what we are seeing.
You talk about the white truck and Jack wearing red.
Heres something no one has said (or I havent read it yet) has anyone notice that through out the movie when you see Jack and Ennis on their horses Ennis is always on a dark horse and Jack is always on a beige one. That is until the last get together then both horses are dark.
What do all of you think of that???

Nothing touched the trigger but the devils right hand

by stevme (Mon Apr 10 2006 18:02:59 )   

Pehaps Ennis' horse had aged, and become lighter (greyer)? :)

by amandazehnder (Mon Apr 10 2006 18:08:29 )   

So, do we dare get into the question of different hat colors?

Clearly Jack is more typically associated with black hats (although sometimes he wears beige) and I think Ennis always wears a light hat (except for the baseball hat when he's doing road work early on). I've always been curious about why Jack wears a light hat during the reunion kiss....

There are probably a million twists and turns in the use of hat color...

by jeaniebaby001 (Sun May 14 2006 13:55:16 )   

UPDATED Sun May 14 2006 14:17:42
Aside from the point that they just wear whatever matches their coloring, there is also the concept of Yin/Yang, the Chinese spiritual symbol of peace and balance in nature. Yin is associated with darkness and female qualities, and Yang is light/male.

In the symbol, the Yin has a dot of Yang in it, and vice versa, so that may explain why occasionally these two guys switch hat colors.

Notice, Yin/Yang is a symbol of gender, not of sex. Hence, very appropriate for this situation. It means they complete each other spiritually (cheesy as that may sound). Notice also how society, through their presumptions of what order should be, actually destroys spiritual peace and balance in the world.

So I guess now the right-wing fanatics are going to argue that All the Chinese have gay tendencies. Is that why they don't want Lee to have the Oscar? So now we have to deal with xenophobia as well? Bring it on.

"William Buckley wrote a book at Yale; I read one"~ GW Bush
I'll hug your elephant if you kiss my ass

by amandazehnder (Mon Apr 10 2006 18:10:57 )   

>And then there is the black bird that is flying right above the white truck... <

awesome!

by sexpistols_2 (Mon Apr 10 2006 18:21:19 )   

Also i dont think anyone mentioned this but at the end scene with Ennis and Elma Jr doesnt Ennis stare at a white truck that is driving past?

"Amazing isn't it? The stupidity that gets you through the day"
-John Lydon

by tmolthan (Tue Apr 11 2006 19:31:45 )   

And if you'll notice in that shot, the black bird is trying to keep up with the white truck, but the truck pulls ahead of it at the very end of the shot...I think it is symbolic of Jack knowing he and Ennis never being permanently together...the more I study this film, the more layers and details I find. Truly art transcending art.

by saucycobblers (Wed Apr 19 2006 10:12:35 )   

Bumping 'cos this is a great thread...

"Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!"

by revolution-hk (Sun May 14 2006 23:51:57 )   

What? I thought it was that truck that brought the girls to him. When Jack came, Ennis was bringing the girls onto his own truck, seems going to take the girls to somewhere else.

"If you can't fix it....call the support hot-line."

by bourbonballz (Mon May 15 2006 13:27:02 )   

Ennis was paranoid to be seen in public with Jack. The truck passing by indicates that no matter how remote Ennis' house was, it could be seen from the road. The truck passing by was an indication to Ennis' point that Jack couldn't even stay at the house with him, for fear it would arouse suspicions of those that might pass by his home via automobile.
is message has been deleted by the poster

Re: bump   
by shortfic (Tue Jun 27 2006 17:07:30 )   

To add to some of the excellent posts here already:
There are brilliant white clouds in the sky when Jack first arrives in the movie in his crappy car; the same clouds again during the scene showing Ennis as a little boy being shown the dead man; the same clouds and the white house when Ennis goes to meet Jack's parents. Definitely deliberate and very effective. The white truck goes along with them.

"Say thank you, Gilbert. Say thank you."

by ironbark (Tue Jun 27 2006 17:22:56 )   

That is amazing, or Im starting to think that we are reading far too much into some of the scenes. Im confused now, I mean, for instance crows are suppose to be in those parts of the country, so obviously they are going to be seen or heard to give the proper effect. And clouds.... gee I dont know anymore. I am just in wonder if all these little things are the meaning that you are all putting forward. By no means am I trying to be offensive either.

"Lori darlin, I swear ; You look as fresh as the mornin"

by robotsu (Wed Aug 9 2006 22:11:02 )   

Jack also does that same move when Aguirre comes upon the mountain to tell Jack about his uncle. Aguirre lifts the binoculors to look up on the mountain and focus in on Ennis, then Jack turns his head to look too. I've never understood exactly what it is referencing, but I did pick up on it when Ennis looks at the truck going by.

As the crow flies....   
by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix (Fri Oct 6 2006 07:39:18 )   

Follow the birds then follow the story.

True Oracle sees it clearly.

by Jasna88 (Fri Oct 20 2006 08:10:52 )   

i think I saw white truck while Alma was in the garden with the laundry

Once and forever Kings fan
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40