Author Topic: "A hundert times" in four years?  (Read 11589 times)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "A hundert times" in four years?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 01:42:20 am »
Oh well, Jeff. Once again, we differ. Your interpretation, I'll admit, is more logical and more soundly based on solid evidence. But mine is more fun AND at least somewhat plausible, and for me both those traits earn high scores when I'm deciding on my interpretation of an ambiguous scene.

Yeah I'm with you Katherine.  Although both alternatives are completely valid and plausible, when I put myself in Ennis' shoes after four years of pining for Jack, there would be more than a little stirring in the loins at the thought of: Friend, this letter is long overdue...
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

TJ

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 08:23:05 pm »
In my rural minded opinion and having lived around folks who used the expression "wrang it out" occasionally in conversation, the word has to do considering the answer to something and not figuring it out or trying to figure something out by thinking really hard, like continually putting a piece of wet laundry through a wringer attached to wash tub or a washing machine to get it as dry as possible so that it would only have to hang on the clothes line for a short time.

From the original story:

(")I never had no thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin about you. You do it with other guys? Jack?"

In Ennis's "wringing it out" way of thinking, he just could not understand why he had feelings toward Jack like he did.

That also goes along with what Ennis also said in the Motel Siesta to Jack, "You and me can't hardly be decent together if what happened back there" -- he jerked his head in the direction of the apartment -- "grabs on us like that. We do that in the wrong place we'll be dead. There's no reins on this one. It scares the piss out a me."

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 02:00:02 am »
You ask me, once every two weeks is nothing.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 02:04:49 am »
You ask me, once every two weeks is nothing.

When you put it that way -- you're right!!!!

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 10:34:25 pm »
In my rural minded opinion and having lived around folks who used the expression "wrang it out" occasionally in conversation, the word has to do considering the answer to something and not figuring it out or trying to figure something out by thinking really hard, like continually putting a piece of wet laundry through a wringer attached to wash tub or a washing machine to get it as dry as possible so that it would only have to hang on the clothes line for a short time.

Wow, do I feel like an urbanized pervert.   :)   I also assumed that the "wrang it out" phrase referred to Ennis, shall we say, reliving fond memories of Jack on the mountain -- especially since Annie uses this phrase along with the reference to Jack "riding more than bulls."  Maybe Ennis was just thinking about whether he should or how he could contact Jack...  can I have half a loaf and decide that he was using the phrase in both meanings?  ;)

Which reminds me ... in the motel, when Ennis says he almost gave up on hearing from Jack again, did anyone else want to scream to Ennis, "How many Twist families could there be in Lightening Flat, why didn't you contact his parents to find out where he was?"  I guess Ennis was too scared to take responsibility for tracking Jack down.
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 10:37:22 pm »
I think most of us agree on what we think "wrang it out" means. And, it's what U think!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 10:42:38 pm »
I think most of us agree on what we think "wrang it out" means. And, it's what U think!

Agreed, Front-Ranger.

At the same time, this could well be another marvelous example of Annie Proulx deliberately using language with more than one meaning for its suggestiveness. Another example in the same scene would be the remark that Jack was riding more than bulls and not rolling his own.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 01:36:10 am »
Not to mention "stemming the rose" and whatever other phrases that TJ helpfully reminded us have mundane meanings. Just goes to show Annie Proulx is clever and witty with language, I think.

So Alec, don't feel like an urbanized pervert -- or, at least, not on the basis of this line reading!  ;)  I think a lot of people interpreted it the same way.

As for Ennis looking up the Twists, I think you're right, Ennis would never have been bold enough to make that move.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 04:00:13 pm »
Now that U mention it, "wrang it out" would fit nicely in with the laundry theme that I've been meaning to add to my buckets, eagles, and etc. post, unless someone would like to tackle it here.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 10:24:58 pm »
Gotta bump this one, just for entertainment value!