Author Topic: What was going through Jack's mind? --- by kalaevans_30126  (Read 2641 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
REPOST (many thanks to "TDE" for saving this thread)
=============================================================

What was going through Jack's mind? --- by kalaevans_30126

by kalaevans_30126 (Fri Jun 16 2006 09:54:10 )
UPDATED Fri Jun 16 2006 09:59:54

In the second tent scene, right before Jack notices Ennis coming in, Jack looked totally lost in thought. I bet he was thinking about how he came on to strong to Ennis and now he ruined his chance with him. Of course, when Ennis comes in he knows he hasn't!

Anyone have any ideas?

by Kd5000 (Fri Jun 16 2006 10:07:54 )

Well the day had been tense from the moment when he raced out to tell Ennis, "See you for supper." Like your coming back aren't you. And then the "I'm not queer" routine to try to asses the situation. Yeah, I'm sure he's tense, it's pitch black and Ennis is still standing outside. Of course, Jack embraces him right away with a kiss and a it's alright line so there's no time for Ennis to start talkin, get second thoughts.,

ALmost the way Ennis greets Jack at their 4 year latter with a big reunion kiss. A kiss says it all.

by daphne7661 (Fri Jun 16 2006 10:21:36 )

I've thought about this scene as well. Here, I think, it is the night after the first sexual encounter (tent scene 1), though I'm not certain. I find it odd that it seems to be less cold than the night before, but it IS earlier in the evening and warmer than the middle of the night, and they DO have a pretty good fire going.

So, anyhow, Jack is now the camp tender, so the big tent is for him, and they have probably finished dinner, AND there is a tension between them now, with still unfinished communication after their brief "This is a one shot thing....It's nobody's business but ours.....I ain't no queer...Me neither" dialogue so they probably wouldn't be sitting around the campfire doing their usual familiar talking.....

Anyway, I think Jack is probably lost in thought because of what has transpired between them now and what place they are at in their friendship/relationship, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, that Ennis is sitting right outside that tent, also lost in thought. He could come in, he could totally ignore him, he could go up to the sheep earlier than normal... I'm sure Jack is worried that he has ruined the whole relationship by taking that first bold step the night before, but we know Jack, and we know that he probably doesn't feel TOO guilty for having made that step, as he is not usually content with a situation which doesn't fancy him (i.e. he wanted Ennis and he went after Ennis, everything else be damned), but we also know that, throughout their entire lives together, Jack always treads lightly around Ennis and reacts to Ennis' fears, foresaking his own emotions and needs. So, what I am saying is, I think that what he is doing here is waiting for Ennis to make the next move to give him a hint as to how this relationship is going to progress - or not....

That was not very well written by me, was it?

Oh well, sorry for the rambling...

by littlewing1957 (Fri Jun 16 2006 10:32:14 )

Daphne, you did good. This is one of my favorite subjects, by the way. I have a slightly different take on Jack waiting in the tent. I know this may sound crazy, but I think Jack was nothing but relaxed, with not a care in the world. He looked content, but expectant. It looked to me as though Jack knew Ennis enjoyed their lovemaking the night before, and was touched that Jack gave him his all. Jack didn't seem all that surprised when Ennis joined him - he just welcomed him in with a kiss and proceeded to cuddle him with a tenderness I've never witnessed before. If only we could have seen all the delights that Jack had in store for Ennis that night. Just my POV.

by Kd5000 (Fri Jun 16 2006 10:33:59 )

Well I think the alcohol might have made Jack a bit bolder on Tent night #1. Of course, the next day, as you said, they do acknowledge what has transpired, not like the "I was so drunk last night, I don't remember." And yes, maybe Jack does think he overreached. The ball is in Ennis's court, so to speak.

by Dobie1018 (Fri Jun 16 2006 10:41:38 )

I like Daphne's post as well. I think it hits the nail on the head, so to speak. I think Jack was uncertain as to what would transpire on that night after the 1st tent night. He does seem lost in thought, and when Ennis comes in, I think Jack is relieved and puts his hand on Ennis' arm to indicate that, and to indicate to Ennis that "It's all right. . . it's all right." That 2nd tent scene is amazing and the tenderness shown by Jack/Jake towards Ennis/Heath never ceases to amaze me. I too, wish we could have seen more of what transpired in that tent that night.

by LauraGigs (Fri Jun 16 2006 10:49:26 )
UPDATED Fri Jun 16 2006 10:57:29

"I find it odd that it seems to be less cold than the night before..."

The weather changes so fast here in the West that it was feasible. But more importantly, they have no 'excuse' to stay together now. If they share the tent, it's because they want to!

"Jack is probably lost in thought because of what has transpired between them now and what place they are in their friendship/relationship ... waiting for Ennis to make the next move ..."

Exactly. Interesting that Ennis waited until after dark; I'll bet he came to camp for supper late! (It took all the courage he had just to talk with Jack after the first night, so I'll bet this was the case — procrastinating.) It also meant it was too dark for him to go back to the sheep, just like the previous night when he says, "It's too late to go back to the sheep." Heehee.

I do think a quick, slight look of suprise and delight crossed Jack's face when he saw Ennis coming in.

When I think about it, this is one of the sexiest scenes I've ever seen on film!

by littlewing1957 (Fri Jun 16 2006 10:51:18 )
UPDATED Fri Jun 16 2006 10:51:54

<<That 2nd tent scene is amazing and the tenderness shown by Jack/Jake towards Ennis/Heath never ceases to amaze me. I too, wish we could have seen more of what transpired in that tent that night.>>

I imagine Jack took his time. He made it good for Ennis, I'm sure.

by LauraGigs (Fri Jun 16 2006 11:01:20 )

I imagine Jack took his time. He made it good for Ennis, I'm sure.

OMG, littlewing!! What I wouldn't give for an 'extended' 2nd tent scene!!

by Dobie1018 (Fri Jun 16 2006 11:05:23 )

"When I think about it, this is one of the sexiest scenes I've ever seen on film!"

I wholeheartedly agree lauragigs! What a great job Jake & Heath did in this scene to make it so tender and believable to the viewers! Just amazing!

by littlewing1957 (Fri Jun 16 2006 11:08:00 )

<<I do think a quick, slight look of suprise and delight crossed Jack's face when he saw Ennis coming in.>>

Right on, Lauragigs. I also detected a look of determination on Jack's face. I can almost imagine Jack saying, "Come on in and see what I have in store for you!"

<<When I think about it, this is one of the sexiest scenes I've ever seen on film!>>

Same here. I've never seen anything sexier. Ever!

by daphne7661 (Fri Jun 16 2006 11:10:08 )
UPDATED Fri Jun 16 2006 11:17:19

Thanks for the support guys. littlewing, laura and dobie, you all have got me going again on the sexuality of these two young men and how intimate and tender and loving they made this scene... it just never ceases to amaze me that probably one of the scariest and novel scenes to film while attempting to appear "natural" was probably the best, most intimate, love scene I've ever witnessed in a movie before...

by Dobie1018 (Fri Jun 16 2006 11:48:43 )

Well, the scene just blows me away. How can two heterosexual men perform this scene so seemingly effortlessly and appearing to be so comfortable with each other in a very difficult setting, and make it so believable? It's a tribute to what fantastic actors these two men are. I'm certain there aren't many (if any at all) male actors who would, number 1 sign up for such a role, and 2 perform it so tenderly and believably. Sorry to keep going on about this, but it is well worth our praises in my opinion. A totally incredible scene of love and tenderness.

by go76 (Fri Jun 16 2006 11:50:29 )
UPDATED Fri Jun 16 2006 12:25:12

I can't decide for myself conclusively. I think it was a total whirl in Jack's head. Going to the tent before Ennis' leaving was quite clear invitation... or at least opened options. He must've remembered the night before, lost in thoughts didn't he force the things. I bet he was tense and tingled from inside whether Ennis would keep his word for "one shot thing", or things somehow will continue. And I think when Ennis came in, he must've been torn of joy from inside - we all know Jack, he was so emotional, passionate and spontaneous! But he didn't made a single wrong thing, he suprressed all his flame and passion and was incredibly tender, so to comfort Ennis the most and not to scare him. Yeah, I can bet he took his time - there wasn't a reson to hurry - Ennis came to the tent by himself, though he could've gone to the sheep. Jack knew it was something REAL and SPECIAL for both of them now, not only for him. He knew this distant and silent man loved him and couldn't resist.

Ennis came to the tent though seemed completely lost while crouching to Jack. And that moved Jack the most - Ennis obviously didn't know neither what to do, nor how to act, he just came, because he couldn't not to. The night before Ennis coupled with him of passion - this is why he knew even without a manual how to proceed. But on the second night he came to the tent from love - it wasn't sole instinct anymore. It was love, it was complete helplesness to deny and runaway from your feelings.

For the first - and LAST - time in their relationship Ennis came to Jack by himself. He took the initiative, he actually manifested his feelings. And that must have been one of the strongest strings to tight him to Ennis - the thought, that no matter Ennis is not talkative, especially when it comes to feelings, and he was always passive afterwards (except the incredible reunion kiss, of course), but at the same beginning, when it was up to him to make it a real love or a one night shot, he chose the first. He not only lost control, he gave it away and chose Jack willingly. And Jack must have thought that for what it's worth, this must be love, this must be love...

Forgive me guys, I went completely off the topic...

by littlewing1957 (Fri Jun 16 2006 11:56:57 )

What these two gifted actors were able to accomplish here just boggles the mind. Too bad they didn't get the kind of recognition they deserved, especially Heath!

by daphne7661 (Fri Jun 16 2006 11:59:37 )

I truly hope that they both are aware of what we are all saying here on IMDb and other message boards about BBM and their performances in it...

They really NEED to know.....

by littlewing1957 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:01:30 )

Dobie1018, I saw a photo still of this scene, just after Ennis falls onto Jack's chest and Jack is kissing his forehead. I saw it on a fanfic site, and it is UNBELIEVABLE! I had to use all caps here, LOL! The expression on Jack's face as he looks down at Ennis with such love is almost too much to bear. I'll try to post a link to it. Do you know which shot I mean? It is truly amazing!

by daphne7661 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:06:03 )

oh, littlewing, find it for us PLEASE????

by ScissorhandsRaineyluv (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:06:28 )

Post a link! Pretty please?!

by Dobie1018 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:10:38 )

Yes littlewing, I know the exact scene you mean. Absolutely incredible. You CAN see the love in Jack's face as he looks at Ennis. Just beautiful!

by littlewing1957 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:13:20 )

Okay, I'll work on it.

by littlewing1957 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:16:11 )

One poster said awhile back that he met Ang Lee and told him about the Board. Who knows, maybe word reached Jake, Heath, some of the others, and they are lurking? You never know.

by daphne7661 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:21:18 )

I would just love for them to know how affected we were and how much we loved their performances and what they have done for all of us. I'm sure most of us would never get to meet them in person and tell them so. This is the closest thing, I guess....

by Dobie1018 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:22:02 )

Great post go. It actually gave me goosebumps while I was reading it . . . .

by daphne7661 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:23:36 )

Me, too! Terrific go76!

by jpwagoneer1964 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:30:42 )
UPDATED Fri Jun 16 2006 12:59:32

After the first tent scene, Jack actually rides up to where the sheep are pastured to see Ennis "you know I aint....". Being the camp tender he would not usually make the trip. This was late afternoon after chores which included washing Ennis's shirt. In the movie trailer there is a shot of Jack standing shirtless on the bridge near camp, gathering up courage while is shirt dries by the fire to speak to Ennis? The fist veiwing I didn't get the jack made this trip. I may be the only one.
Also the way this scene is held while the sit close in silence, you know the remained there for some time. Bet they rode back to camp together as well, in silence each not quite understanding their bond. Back at camp never stepping more than a few feet apart preparing supper and breaking bread in close, quiet anticipation?

by daphne7661 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:35:06 )

...After the first tent scene, Jack actually rides up to where the sheep are pastured to see Ennis "you know I aint....". being the camp tender he would not usually make the trip. This was late afternoon after chores which included washing Ennises shirt. In the movie trailer there is a shot of Jack standing shirtless on the bridge near camp, gathering up courage while is shirt drys by the fire to speak to Ennis? The fist veiwing I didn't get the jack made this trip. I may be the only one.
Also the way this scene is held while the sit close in silence, you know the remained there for some time. Bet they rode back to camp together as well, in silence each not quite understanding their bond. Back at camp never stepping more than a few feet apart preparing supper and breaking bread in close, quiet anticipation?...

I don't know why, but this description just warmed me with renewed joy and closeness to Jack and Ennis....

Thank you, jpwagoneer1964!!!

by littlewing1957 (Fri Jun 16 2006 12:54:10 )

Well said!

What a sensation these guys caused in my life when they made this film. After watching BBM (repeatedly, I might add) I am a changed person.

by bsee13 (Sun Jun 18 2006 06:00:05 )

This may not make since but here goes.
I think Jack was in the tent thinking that maybe he had crossed a line he should not have and that nothing else was going to happen.
I think Ennis was thinking on the log about what had happened in the previous tent scene and making the making the "I aint queer" disclaimer he did not expect Jack to say "what happens between us is nobody business" and with his sister and brother going on with there lives that Ennis senses that Jack is not going to push him away. Ennis starts to relize that Jack is becoming his family. I think that is way Ennis got sick and started crying in the barn off the road when Jack left after the summer. Ennis felt he was being put out again.

by jlilya (Sun Jun 18 2006 06:19:22 )

this made me cry, oh Ennis.

by Santinos_Bridesmade (Thu Jul 6 2006 09:30:46 )

Well-said, go76! Right on the mark! Beautiful.

by Santinos_Bridesmade (Thu Jul 6 2006 10:07:54 )

Post the link, won't you, littlewing? Pretty please?!??!

by toycoon (Sun Jul 30 2006 10:51:22 )

This is just shameless bump because I can't think of anything else to add here!

by malina-5 (Thu Oct 5 2006 08:24:26 )

oh swoony swoon. I'd never read this thread before, what a treat!
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40