Author Topic: Timing of the Flashback -- by amandazehnder  (Read 1835 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Timing of the Flashback -- by amandazehnder
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:28:22 am »
REPOST
=============================================================
Timing of the Flashback   
by - amandazehnder (Sat Apr 1 2006 21:25:08 )   

I posted this observation in the "ode to the flashback" thread. But, I thought I'd highlight it for general discussion. I'm really interested in hearing people's ideas about this.

The positioning of the flashback in the film is interesting and leads to some serious questions. Yes, it mirrors Proulx's story in that it comes in at the end of the argument scene. But, in the movie is comes in and seems to create a gap in time in the "real time" argument scene. In the argument scene we see Ennis and Jack in that intense hug, and them the flashback comes in, followed by Jack leaning on his truck watching Ennis drive away.

Something happened between Jack and Ennis between finishing their hug and Ennis walking to his truck to drive away. This certainly adds to the idea of ambiguity that runs through the film.

We'll never really know how Jack and Ennis left things right before they part company. What were their last words to each other? We'll never know. In the book Proulx lets us know "Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved." In the movie their very last moments together are shielded from the audience.

Thoughts?

Re: Timing of the Flashback   
by - stitchbuffymoulinfan (Sat Apr 1 2006 22:22:34 )   

Interesting point. We *did* miss something here, something that the filmmakers did not let us see. This just adds to the ambiguity of the film, really, and what their last words were cannot be argued. Merely all we can do is share our opinions...

I don't know if anything was said at all. The last we saw them, they were crying in each other's arms. There was an apology (I can't remember which one said "I'm sorry") and the pain in both of them was undeniable to each other. I don't think either knew what to say, as healing for me as it would be to believe that Jack said, "I'm sorry, Ennis, I'm sorry. It's just... I can't live like this, not without you." And Ennis would say, "I'm sorry, Jack. I thought I was doin' the right thing... I love you, Jack." And Jack would immediately respond, "I love you. Oh, God, Ennis, I love you."

Yeah, I may be a cynic, but when it comes to Jack and Ennis, I'm obviously a fuc king romantic. But the realist in me doubts that those words, or something along the lines of those words, were said. Honestly, I don't think much of anything was said at all. I think they were both just too shattered to say anything at this point and they left nothing resolved.

http://www.jlodown.com/
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/jlodown

by - silkncense (Sun Apr 2 2006 10:26:57 )   

That's what is so great about this film. The viewer is every bit a part of the story. How do you fill in the blanks? For me, I see them much as they were when they first left Brokeback after "the punch" ... they picked themselves up, dusted themselves off & left. Maybe w/ a little reference to November - much as Jack made a little reference to "again next summer?" Sadly, they had both said as much as they could / dared at that point.

"It's alright; 's alright." Jack Twist

by - strawbs04 32 minutes ago (Wed Apr 12 2006 14:49:48 )   

I think that we saw the meat of what happened. I figure that Jack had ended his rant and Ennis calmed down. While the scene was going on, I'm sure the two were cordial and ambiguous just like they had always been with eachother. I think the scene says a lot, however. You see Jack's face filled with love at the end of the flashback, and directly afterwards, you see it filled with anger, and it should have been. Jack deserved better, but I think it was only momentary that Jack was angry with Ennis. I'm sure the thing with moving to Latinum Flats with the other guy, Randall, was more of him being peeved at Ennis, but came to forgive Ennis again, seeing as it wasn't Ennis' fault that he couldn't express himself. In the last postcard he sent to Ennis, Jack was looking to meet up again, because Jack really didn't know how to quit Ennis. Jack could feel that deep down Ennis was really a good person, and no one else gave Jack the love and honor he deserved the way Ennis did, even if Ennis only did it in his odd little Ennis way....

by - whiteorchid32 1 minute ago (Wed Apr 12 2006 15:20:46 )   

strawbs04, Jack never sent a last postcard to Ennis. Ennis sent a postcard to Jack which was returned stamped deceased by the post office. But I agree with you that he did not ''quit'' Ennis. You can't just quit the love of your life. I also don't believe it was anger on Jack's face when Ennis was driving away after the flahsback scene, it looked like hurt and bitter disappointment to me. Years of pain can really harden a face. Jack still loved Ennis, but the years of rejection and frustration had taken their toll.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40