Author Topic: Cassie disliked by Alma Jr. --- by jshane2002  (Read 2075 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Cassie disliked by Alma Jr. --- by jshane2002
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:39:46 am »
REPOST (with many thanks to TDE for saving this thread)
==============================================================
Cassie disliked by Alma Jr. --- by jshane2002

by - jshane2002 18 hours ago (Mon May 15 2006 19:13:48 )
UPDATED Mon May 15 2006 19:16:10

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that Alma Jr. was truly a “daddy’s girl.” She preferred living with her dad, was worried about his living circumstances and was willing to be around to be a help.

The first time she sees Cassie in the pickup when Ennis drives to Alma Jr.’s house, it seems clear she isn’t happy that Cassie is around during her dad’s visitation time with the girls. Someone even implied that it was good Alma Jr. was around to make sure her dad didn’t get mixed up women like Cassie who were just “bad news.”

Do people really thing Cassie was really so bad for Ennis? I know there wasn’t much passion on Ennis’ relationship but she seemed like a caring person; she wanted to become a nurse. How bad could she have been? You see Ennis living in a shabby trailer at end of the movie.

When people get older they often just enjoy each other’s company. Cassie had probably seen some pretty bad roughnecks and Ennis had a quiet charm about him. She could see that he liked looking after his daughters.

by - BannerHill 18 hours ago (Mon May 15 2006 19:19:20 )

His heart just wasn’t in it

by - the_protector 17 hours ago (Mon May 15 2006 20:16:12 )

When it came to Ennis, Junior knew ‘what end was up’ so to speak.
Her disappointed look shows that she knows Cassie isn’t going to make her Daddy happy...he’s just keeping up appearances. She tells Cassie as much: “He’s not the marrying kind.” and “You’re good enough.”
I love Alma Junior’s character. All through the movie, she shows her love and concern for Ennis.

by - jshane2002 14 hours ago (Mon May 15 2006 23:36:15 )

Granted he isn’t with Jack but that’s just not in the cards for a man like him. He’s never going to be able to live with any man. I was just saying since that’s not a possibilty isn’t he better off staying with Cassie instead of living alone in some trailer?

by - lilone27 13 hours ago (Tue May 16 2006 00:08:49 )

I think Ennis felt that Cassie deserved better than a man who would be with her out of pity or appearances sake. I think that’s part of the reason for “he loves you?” that he asked Alma Jr. when she told him that she had plans to marry.

by - mal_300 12 hours ago (Tue May 16 2006 00:53:12 )

I really liked Cassie, and truly felt for her, especially her last scene, where she ran away with that dopey boyfriend of her. Great actress and interesting, multi-layered character.

by - brachanders 12 hours ago (Tue May 16 2006 01:24:52 )

Alma Jr. clearly loved her daddy.

Why was the 15-year old Alma Jr. upset that her daddy was seeing Cassie? Did she regard Cassie as a possible threat to her relationship with her daddy? Is that why she asked if she could live with her daddy? Children of divorced parents can be that way.

How much did Alma Jr. know, or at least sense, about her daddy?
Did Alma ever tell Alma Jr. was she saw?

Cassie loves Ennis. She wants to marry him. But Ennis knows he cannot reciprocate the kind of love she feels for him. He knows that this would only lead to another unhappy “Alma” situation. After Ennis’s and Jack’s final confrontation about Mexico, Ennis realizes that it is Jack he truly loves. That is why he simply cannot continue to see Cassie. But despite his love for Jack, Ennis is in continual denial of his emotional makeup. So Ennis is forever caught up in his own loop. He can’t live with Jack, and he can’t live without him.

Cassie doesn’t “get” Ennis. Ennis doesn’t want to hurt her, but he can’t continue a relationship with her that will never go where she wants, nor can he reveal to her why he cannot continue to see her.

by - ailuro 12 hours ago (Tue May 16 2006 01:27:41 )

Carl was dopey? Didn’t get that, as we only see him once.
And just how did Almajr know her father was gay?

by - bjblakeslee 7 hours ago (Tue May 16 2006 05:47:16 )

Do people really thing Cassie was really so bad for Ennis? ...she wanted to become a nurse.

Nice inside joke on the part of the movie makers... Linda Cardellini is a regular on E.R.!

by - taj_e 5 hours ago (Tue May 16 2006 08:01:24 )

I can understand why Cassie felt disliked by Alma Jr
But I don’t think Cassie mind that at all, she knew she loved Ennis and will do her best to make Ennis happy
And Alma Jr did apologize for sounding rude

Cassie was heartbroken, but I’m sure she was spared the fate of Alma Snr faced
Alma Jr saw this and probably unintentionally ‘warned’ her

It did come into my mind that Cassie will somehow bump into Ennis again and this time it will be a NEW Ennis

I love Cassie :)

by - lilone27 5 hours ago (Tue May 16 2006 08:20:19 )

I feel for Cassie as well but regardless of the fact that Ennis has learned some tough lessons, it wouldn’t change his sexual orientation.

by - jshelby-1 4 hours ago (Tue May 16 2006 09:10:15 )

Cassie just wasn’t his type. I’m sure she served her purpose, but in the end, he didn’t have any real feelings for her.

by - starboardlight 25 minutes ago (Tue May 16 2006 13:10:58 )
UPDATED Tue May 16 2006 13:18:00

Cassie wasn’t bad for Ennis. She was wrong for him though. I don’t think she’d have been happy. Even if Ennis could love her, he is the type to be content with what he has, while she is the type to want more in life and goes after it. I think in the long run, she would not be happy with Ennis working ranch jobs and living in a ranch. Her aspiration to be a nurse tells us she wants to eventually move away from the small town. Not that you can’t be a nurse in a small town, but nursing schools are in cities usually, and there are more jobs for nurses in bigger cities.

by - starboardlight 19 minutes ago (Tue May 16 2006 13:16:32 )

I just noticed recently how much Jr. in that scene resembles Ennis in his scene at the bar with Jack. As she says “Maybe he’s not the marrying kind” her facial expression is very similar to that of Ennis as he says “Once in a while, when I got the entry fee in my pocket.” They both have that worried-guarded furrowed brow, refusal to make eye contact, focusing on their bottles.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40