Author Topic: Parallelisms and Symbolism -- by clancypants  (Read 2067 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Parallelisms and Symbolism -- by clancypants
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:52:55 am »
REPOST
==============================================================
Parallelisms and Symbolism   
by - clancypants (Tue Apr 18 2006 06:26:23 )   

Here are a few items of which I haven’t noticed any discussion on the board.

First:

In discussions about the Lureen/Ennis phone call, a lot of people take note of the fact that Lureen delivered the death explanation very coldly. Many believe it’s a rehearsed monologue. Many believe she’s said it so many times to so many people that it’s become automatic. And then from those positions people debate whether she’s telling the truth, lying, or simply stating what she believes to be the truth regardless whether it is actually true.

But I have never seen anyone bring up the fact that her entire conversation with Ennis has the same cold, dispassionate tone. She didn’t become suddenly monotone when she begins to explain. She’s that way throughout the entire conversation. Even when Ennis introduces himself and she responds: “Jack used to mention you. You’re the fishing buddy or the hunting buddy, I know that.” On the phone she’s got the guy with whom her husband would run off 2-3 times a year for fishing/hunting trips and she doesn’t seem the least interested. I would have thought she would have had a lot of questions for him. But she just takes this call as if it’s a business call. Even though we see a lot of emotion in Lureen’s face at the end of the call when she learns that Brokeback is a real place and then all kinds of pieces start falling into place in her head, there’s really very little emotion that goes out over the telephone to Ennis. The entire call, from Ennis’ receiving viewpoint, was cold and emotionless.

Second:

In discussions about how Jack died (murder vs. accident), there’s a camp of people who say that the accident, as explained, is just too improbable. Posters have debated whether this could really happen or not. A lot of people feel the ‘Jack being beaten’ scene shows the actual method of Jack’s death – murder; while many feel it’s just contrived in Ennis’ mind based on his childhood memory of Earl and Rich.

But I have never seen anyone bring up the fact that Ennis’ parents died in a freak car accident. In the first bar scene when Ennis tells Jack how his parents died, he says “No, they run themselves off. There was, uh, one curve in the road in 43 miles, and they miss it.” Notice his delivery (especially on the word “they”). It’s as if Ennis is saying “Can you believe it? Isn’t that the biggest bunch of dumb luck you ever heard?” Ennis has an example from his past of someone dying in a freak car-related accident (as Jack could have) and an example of someone dying from gay-bash murder (as Jack could have).

There are a lot of little examples in the film about Jack being an F-up. Ennis told Jack that his father felt that Rodeo guys were F-ups and then said “I think my dad was right.” Ennis caught the watch in Aguirre’s office; Jack did not catch the keys LD threw to him. Jack goofed up with the can opener. Jack didn’t kill the coyote. Lots of little examples. There’s good reason that Ennis could have had it in his mind that the tire rim story was true or at least possible, for an F-up like Jack.

Anyway, I just feel that some of these other aspects deserve some place in the discussions.

I’ve not noticed a discussion of the elk symbolism. There are three elks in the film and it seems they signify Ennis fulfilling someone else’s desire:

1 – The elk Ennis shot for Jack – Ennis fulfilling Jack’s desire for a varied diet;

2 – The Elks lodge right down the street from Ennis’ and Alma’s apartment – Ennis fulfilling Alma’s desire to move to town; and,

3 – The elk shoot that Ennis offers up to Jack during the final argument scene – Ennis trying to fulfill Jack’s desire for quality time with Ennis – note here that Ennis cannot or will not give Jack what Jack really wants (commitment), so he offers the elk to placate Jack.

Also, there seems to be a symbolism of time running about the two of them. Ennis is thrown the watch by Aguirre. As he walks out of the trailer Ennis tries to put it on but instead shoves it in his pocket with little regard, as if time doesn’t matter. In fact, I never see him wear the watch at all. Jack, on the other hand, wears a watch almost constantly after he marries Lureen. Note also that there are a number of instances where a clock is present around Jack – in his living room at Thanksgiving dinner, for example. And Jack is the one who laments “There’s never enough time, never enough” during the final argument scene. Notice that he delivers this line much more somberly than all of his other complaints throughout the movie.

Finally, I have never seen anyone bring up the fact that we see Ennis wake up three times and each time it’s to a bad situation away from which he must run:

1 – Ennis wakes up by the fire that has gone out, is dazed, gets up and stumbles around into the pots and pans and goes into the tent with Jack – Ennis has to get away from the cold situation;

2 – Ennis wakes up in the morning after the first tent scene, is dazed, and fumbles with his pants to get them on – Ennis has to get away from the sex situation; and,

3 – Ennis wakes up in the pup tent after the snow, is dazed, and dances around outside the tent as if asking Mother Nature “What are you doing?” just as he asked two others, Jack and Cassie – Ennis has to get away from the snow situation.

Anyway, these are a few things I haven’t noticed on the board and I thought I’d bring them up.

Re: Parallelisms and Symbolism   
by - bacardi884 (Tue Apr 18 2006 07:24:09 )   

really interesting...

by - taj_e (Tue Apr 18 2006 09:43:16 )   

UPDATED Tue Apr 18 2006 09:44:04
Great observations!
If I may comment/add
First
I guess the fact that she was caught off guard in the end (discovering Ennis)
And as Jack told Ennis, truly Lureen didn't suspect at all

'I wish I know how to quit BBM...'

by - taj_e (Tue Apr 18 2006 10:27:41 )   

And since you mentioned Lureen
I didn't see anyone post on how Lureen noticed that as sad as she was, she must have 'understood' how devasted Ennis was and was 'kind' enough to stress on 'about the ashes I mean'

Lureen knew Jack must have meant alot to Ennis. She (and Jack's father) must have thought it was the ashes. Jack's mother knew it was the shirts and Ennis discovered them!

Lureen's Revelation... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/40739955?d=40739955#40739955

by - Front-Ranger (Tue Apr 18 2006 15:31:26 )

Very perceptive observations Clancypants. About the first one--Lureen's coldness. Well, she was a cold business woman, Jack himself said they could do their marriage over the phone (a foreshadowing of the phone conversation Lureen and Ennis would have). In my mind, Lureen stands for the status quo, the millions of people who just don't want to become involved (unless there is an advantage to them, as in their marriage of convenience). But her facade almost cracks twice, and she emits little squeeks when reality threatens to come crashing through the phone lines.

Good comments on the watches and clocks too. Jack always sports a flashy watch but for Ennis time might as well stand still--he'll never change.

Front-Ranger
"There ain't no reins on this one."

by - whiteorchid32 (Tue Apr 18 2006 19:49:02 )   

Interesting comments on the running time symbolism. Gives me more to think about, thank you.

by - clancypants (Thu Apr 20 2006 05:46:14 )

Something else I forgot to put in my original post --

People have discussed Christian imagery/symbolism in the film but I haven't seen the following, so I'll add them to the discussion.

Some have likened Jack to a Christ-figure (walking across the water, tending sheep, etc.) but note that unlike Christ Jack cannot heal the sick (Ennis won't let Jack tend to Ennis' head wound, Jack cannot heal his uncle Harold's pneumonia from the mountain or if Jack goes to see Uncle Harold); also, unlike Christ Jack cannot control the weather (the lightning that killed so many sheep during Jack's first summer on the mountain, the storm rolling in that ends their time on the mountain, the coldness of the mountain of which Jack complains at their last meeting); also, unlike Christ Jack cannot tend to the poor (Ennis won't accept Jack's offer of a loan).

(I know that in some cases 'is not allowed to' is probably better than 'cannot;' however, the symbolism remains because even if Jack could do these things (like Christ) it's up to the receiver to actually receive.)

But like Christ, Jack can provide protection and comfort (too many examples to even begin...).

Also, Jack's mother has been likened to a Christ-figure (so loving, giving, etc.). I wonder whether her offer of coffee and cherry cake to Ennis is a way of offering communion, which offers one entry into the fold. Ennis accepts the coffee, but about the cake he says "...but I can't eat no cake just now." He's willing to accept a certain amount, but not all of it fully, yet. And Jack's mother offers to Ennis that he is welcome to come back when he's able/ready.

by - taj_e (Thu Apr 20 2006 08:54:48 )   

UPDATED Fri Apr 21 2006 04:57:41
Clancy beautiful post on Jack's mother
Now that you mentioned it, communion is done in fellowship (ideally), in remembrance of Jesus's death (his blood shed and body broken) and reconizing the hope to come, accepting God's grace

Ennis accepting half of it perhaps symbolizes that he still can't accept Jack's death (couldn't believe it or doesn't want to)

Casey's thread I think mentioned something about this but am not sure how it was put. That he respectfully declined the cake for another (the shirts?) And it was the shirt indeed

Did Ennis drink the coffee?
Now if he did drink (even if he didn't), Ennis discovered the shirt and there were two of them
Perhaps significantly symbolizes he did take the 'communion' and accepted the 'grace' and look forward for the 'hope'

Communion=Remembrance of what he had with Jack on BBM OR Jack's death
Grace=Love and Freedom offered by Jack
Hope=To love and be loved in return

Lureen: not as cold as people think   
by - lauragigs (Thu Apr 20 2006 14:48:05 )

UPDATED Tue May 2 2006 07:20:15
"[Lureen's] entire conversation with Ennis has the same cold, dispassionate tone. . . we see a lot of emotion in Lureen’s face at the end of the call when she learns that Brokeback is a real place . . . [but] the entire call, from Ennis’ receiving viewpoint, was cold and emotionless."

I think people are hard on Lureen. Funny that when a man is equally stoic, he doesn't get a bad rap for being "cold". The film lets us in on Ennis' emotional world, his wounds — so we see through his constant stoicism. BBM doesn't do the same for Lureen, but that doesn't mean her emotional world or wounds are lacking.

As a southerner, I can tell you that putting on a good, steady face is important (esp. for a business person). As in "Just fine, how are you". She may have been steeling herself when she heard the phone ring. And she did direct Ennis to lightning flat — the place he potentially could carry out Jack's wishes, and find the most closure for himself.

Re: Lureen: not as cold as people think   
by - naun 2 days ago (Sat May 13 2006 01:17:59 )   

UPDATED Sat May 13 2006 01:20:58
I think people are hard on Lureen. Funny that when a man is equally stoic, he doesn't get a bad rap for being "cold". The film lets us in on Ennis' emotional world, his wounds ? so we see through his constant stoicism. BBM doesn't do the same for Lureen, but that doesn't mean her emotional world or wounds are lacking.

Nicely said. Another poster (was it jlilya?) has made the brilliant observation that Lureen's jewellery is mostly tear-coloured or tear-shaped (blue or pearl in colour, round or droplet-shaped), suggesting her internal emotional state. As with Ennis, her clothing tends to fade in colour as the film progresses. I think the film does suggest that her demeanour is partly the result of the disappointment of her marriage. In fact, emotional disappointment takes its toll on all of the main characters as the years pass. "Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart."

Communion -- 'Broke' In Half   
by - lauragigs (Thu Apr 20 2006 15:14:56 )

Ennis accepts half of the "communion offering", in rememberance of Jesus'/Jack's broken body.

Jack's body has been broken in two (half in Texas, half in Wyoming).

Just as in life, when his heart was in both places for different reasons.

by - taj_e (Thu Apr 20 2006 09:56:25 )

UPDATED Thu Apr 20 2006 09:57:32
clancy
I think the symbolism only applies to their relationship and IMO only on Jack's death (I may want to rephrase Christ-figure, to what Christ had done)

On the thread discussed, I think it was Garden of Eden symbolism, I thought that perhaps Ennis symbolizes both Adam and Eve, while Jack did what the serpent/satan/forbidden fruit (tempter/temptation) and Christ did

Accident   
by - lauragigs (Thu Apr 20 2006 14:49:45 )   

"Ennis has an example of someone dying in a freak car-related accident (as Jack could have) and an example of someone dying from gay-bash murder (as Jack could have)."

Great point, Clancy. Never thought of that.

by - anotherclockworkorange (Thu Apr 20 2006 15:24:29 )   

Maybe you're right...but maybe you're reading into it a little too much. I dunno. But I did like your post, I'd like to believe in the symbols, but I'm too much of a skeptic. Errrr....

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" ~Johnny Rotten AKA John Lydon.

by - lil_toons (Thu Apr 20 2006 15:37:00 )   

The entire call, from Ennis’ receiving viewpoint, was cold and emotionless.

I noticed, also, Ennis showed very little emotion after reading the deceased stamped on the postcard. I would have thought he would have exhibited some type of traumatic behavior i.e. crying, trembling, or some small breakdown, after reading that dreaded bad news but it never came. Even when Ennis spoke to Lureen, on the phone, he never shed a tear especially after mentally imagining Jack's death. His face cringed but that was it. I got the impression that Ennis expression seem to be saying "This would have happened to me if I had a life with Jack". Ennis seemed cautiously curious yet very reserved talking with Lureen about Jack's death. It all appeared distant from both ends of the line.
[Post deleted]   
This message has been deleted by the poster

by - Front-Ranger (Fri Apr 28 2006 06:22:32 )   

There is a discussion called "Jack was maligned unfairly" which brings up a few of the points you mention. It's at
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/nest/39163170?d=41914995#41914995

Front-Ranger
"There ain't no reins on this one."

by - meryl_88 2 days ago (Fri May 12 2006 20:56:42 )

Those are all good points, clancy.

It's interesting what you say about Jack often being seen with a watch or near a clock. I'm surprised, though, that you didn't mention the stopped clock in Jack's room at the Twist house. It's the perfect symbol of time having run out for Jack and Ennis.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the 3 instances of Ennis waking up in the Number Three thread. If you'd like to add it to the list, the thread is here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/40229458?d=43002793#43002793

by - clancypants 2 days ago (Fri May 12 2006 21:26:21 )   

Thanks. I just did.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40