Author Topic: The "I am Sooo like Ennis" thread  (Read 45785 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
The "I am Sooo like Ennis" thread
« on: April 29, 2006, 11:03:26 am »
Here's the start of yet another lost thread from IMDb, for those who are so inclined to expose themselves!  :o HA!
And so begins the revival of the "I am Sooo like Ennis" thread
I am Sooo like Ennis in that I was raised at a time when being homophobic and homosexual at the same time was not unusual

Your turn -- How are YOU like Ennis?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:41:25 am by Phillip »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: roboy's "I am Sooo like Ennis"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 06:53:12 pm »
Ah c'mon, won't anybody post on this thread?  ???

I am Soo like Ennis, in that I am usually in charge of things in my life - and tend to seek security. I'm certainly not the wind - Just call me
Rocky  :D or
Stone Age Man?!?!
Mountain Man?
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

TJ

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 07:08:25 pm »
I am not very much like Ennis Del Mar; but, I have personally known guys who were "Sooo like Ennis."

But, I did go through a long period of being afraid of people could find out that I was not exclusively heterosexual and not even bisexual, really.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:12:17 pm »
I am sooo like Ennis that achieving true intimacy with my mate is very difficult for me, and I need to be guided to it to a very large extent.

Howzat?   :o
No more beans!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 08:07:38 pm »
I am sooo like Ennis that achieving true intimacy with my mate is very difficult for me, and I need to be guided to it to a very large extent.

Beauty ednbarby! that was just fine. Now maybe a little "I am Sooo like Jack" would be more your cup'o tea? - just started that thread!

And TJ - what gives?!? Hunh?!?! you've posted more in the past 3 or 4 days than I have in the past month!! get with the program. This is the I am Sooo like Ennis thread and based on what you wrote, you definitively could have written it in the conventional form. IE:

I am Sooo like Ennis in that I did go through a long period of being afraid that people could find out that I was not exclusively heterosexual and not even bisexual, really.

Is that too presumptuous of me? - By the way - I don't want to discourage you from posting - on the contrary - You keep on keeping on. You're a great addition to our family.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 08:37:31 pm »
Beauty ednbarby! that was just fine. Now maybe a little "I am Sooo like Jack" would be more your cup'o tea? - just started that thread!

Actually, no, I think this is more my cup o' tea.  The more I think about it (and my husband reminds me), I am most like Ennis.  Jack is who I want to be like, but Ennis is who I really am.

I am sooo like Ennis in that I can make it on a couple of high-altitude fucks a year.  My imagination is all I truly need to keep myself warm at night.  Spent way too much of my childhood only being truly alive in my own inner world, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 08:26:44 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 08:55:13 pm »
I definitely relate/ identify with some aspects of Ennis... I'm most certainly a loner.  I increasingly like to be on my own and "independent."  I certainly don't think I'm burdened with as much "internalized homophobia" as Ennis.  But, I realize that I can be probably *too* cautious and circumspect about how and when I come out to people.  And, I've definitely had a hard time expressing myself to ex-girlfriends in the same way I see Ennis struggling to express his feelings to Jack.  I think this is why I'm such a Jack fan, I would love to be as self-assured and self-aware as Jack is, but again, I know that I'm more like Ennis in lots of ways.  In lots of ways I think Jack is braver than I am.
 ::) :-\

By the way,  this doesn't seem so "light" as in the "lighter side of the mountain."  But, it's a good topic.  Thanks Roland.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 09:43:42 pm »
By the way,  this doesn't seem so "light" as in the "lighter side of the mountain."  But, it's a good topic.  Thanks Roland.

This is the point I've tried to put across to Phillip from the beginning. My threads have more in common with each other, and less to do with games. Even the retitling to Lighter Side... still suffers from a subtitle that doesn't at all reflect the essence of these threads. As a matter of fact (figure of speach, of course) your new(?) thread dealing with "loveable subtle details" is more kin to these threads than the more popular threads on this forum. Anyways, as Phillip suggested in a PM, i think, this whole experiment in cyberspace is barely 3 months old and still trying to adjust to the new and ever changing realities of it's clientel. The members roster has increased by nearly 50% since I made the move here some 4 weeks ago. (there were 181 members then!) I believe the thread "Notice: Construction Season" is still a worthy place to posts one's thoughts on this subject, SO WHY am I going on & on here? ??? - silly me  ::) 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 09:48:08 pm by Roland »

vkm91941

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 04:39:22 am »
I am soooo like Ennis in that I tend to protect myself becuase I fear getting hurt and that if anyone ever knew the real me they wouldn't like me anymore. ::)

Offline YaadPyar

Re: The "I am Sooo like Ennis" thread
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 11:50:37 am »
I am so like Ennis that I can't think and feel at the same time.  Thinking and talking.  Or feeling.  But emotions and words don't connect well for me.  The things I feel most deeply are unutterable.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

moremojo

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 05:37:55 pm »
I am sooo like Ennis in how rarely I travel. Haven't been outside the State of Texas in almost sixteen years. But definitely clinging to the warmer climes, unlike Ennis and his "high-altitude" trysts.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:36:25 pm by moremojo »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 12:17:21 am »
If there's something that I want to do but I feel that everybody I know will think I'm weird if I do it, I don't do it.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 01:40:25 pm »
I am sooo like Ennis in that I think a good can o' baked beans is mmmmmm - yummy.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 05:07:18 pm »
I am so like Ennis because I love jean jackets.

(Or should that one go in the "I love everything Ennis" thread? I always have trouble posting on that thread because, well, what don't I love?)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 05:48:42 pm »

Wow, I'm glad you posted this first.  I feel the same way; I think that's why I don't have a mate right now.

Other than that, I am sooo like Ennis in that I generally let other people do all the talking.   ;)

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 10:59:13 am »
Wow, I'm glad you posted this first.  I feel the same way; I think that's why I don't have a mate right now.

Other than that, I am sooo like Ennis in that I generally let other people do all the talking.   ;)

I'm just so very fortunate that I found one who likes to do the guidin'.  ;)

I am sooo like Ennis in that I like to stand back and survey things I've just put up to make sure they're straight.

Hmmmmm...  Have I just unlocked another symbol, here?
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 01:20:31 pm »
Hmmmmm...  Have I just unlocked another symbol, here?

Wooo, Barb! I just posted somewhere yesterday that "tent don't look right" is more significant than it sounds -- its purpose is about to change, or whatever. But I never thought to put it in such literal terms! The tent isn't straight. Good one, because the tent becomes such a potent symbol of their relationship.

Oh, let's see, now I have to say something new about how I'm so like Ennis. ... Well, I'm not big on soup.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 02:15:39 pm »
I'm so like Ennis, a hearty, tenacious, hard worker and so like him when in the mountains, so happy I hate to leave.

Rayn

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 03:00:11 pm »
I am sooo like Ennis that I could be quite content on a lonesome ol' ranch.  All the moreso if I were there with the right person.
No more beans!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 08:54:05 pm »
I am sooo like Ennis that I could be quite content on a lonesome ol' ranch.

Me too - a bit of hermit really!

"I am Sooo like Ennis" in that I try too frequently to comply to society's demands. And then when the rebel in me comes out, it can be pretty intense.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 09:36:25 am »
I am sooo like Ennis in that every time I hear the wind howling, I'm reminded of Jack.
No more beans!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 12:40:51 pm »
I am so like Ennis, and this is serious here, ok... I feel like Ennis because I lost my first great love to an illness long ago and my second after the romance died and then the friendship disintergrated. 

I have friends, but am without a partner, a loved one, and I'd be better with one.  I'm isolated in a foreign country where I work doing what I want and like, makng good money, so it's a wonderful job, but because of where I live, I have few chances of meeting anyone like me. 

Sometimes, I feel like Ennis did after he lost Jack, very down.  I feel lost and lonely and I don't know just where to turn.  I say friends help, yes, I have some good ones, but they're nothing like a good partner. 

I know I have to do something to change this and I have big questions before me...

Should I leave my job for one nearer a bigger city where I might meet someone? I could move back home where I'd face certain unemployement.. but that would be no good.  Should I stay where I am and just travel out to larger cities?  It's tough to know.  My mind says, be reasonable, keep your good job and just explore larger cities for more social connections, then if better work is there or you meet someone (miracles do happen!), I could move.  I feel the clock ticking.  I'm middle aged now... Like Ennis.  "I can't quit this one and I can't git the time off.." 

I am so like Ennis because I have a future, but I face it alone right now, I miss being with a loved one, I know I have to do something to redirect my life.    I'm  a bit afraid, lonesome, a bit tired, but I'm willing to go on and keep trying, I have to keep dreamin'...     

I think Ennis was feeling like that in the end and he too would come to a similar conclusion after a while.   If anyone feels the same or has ideas, feellings or thoughts that might help, please ... Let me hear from ya.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 02:15:42 am by Rayn »

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 04:35:27 pm »
Hey Rayn -

No answers of any kind, but appreciation for you being so honest and true.  Thanks for that.  And lots of good wishes. 
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 05:53:38 pm »
I think U should do what your heart tells you and take trips to larger cities, also connect with people cybernetically as you are doing, and make plans to change jobs. Get a job that fits with your life, not the other way around. We are human beings, not employees. Sometimes I think companies prefer it when their employees are single, moving around a lot and not able to put down roots. It makes things convenient for the employers. But we are not ants, we are people, and without human connections, we shrivel up and die inside. Don't move anyplace before you have a new job or at least some friends in the new location. But do it, because jobs are just jobs, not to be confused with life. You too can say, "I reckon they can just get another cowboy." Go for it!!!!!!!!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 06:28:00 pm »
Hi Ryan,
I think that you are on your way to saying yes to some of the questions you raise.  Like an Ennis, you will not feel comfortable taking action until you are truly ready, even though you could cope more than adequately if you did take action earlier or were forced to take action earlier.  Like an Ennis, it may well take a while to think on these things but the fact you are thinking on them, infers that at some level, you do want to take action. Be aware that the self-protection measures we build up can end up doing more than their original job and being too over-protective.  Of course all the while you're thinking, the situation can change & maybe a whole new opportunity may suddenly present itself, you never know...Don't put too much pressure on yourself, do make use of your friends in the ways that they can be supportive to you & most of all, be thankful you have loved deeply & that you have friends around you now.  As Front-Ranger said, human connections are the most important thing in this life.  That's what BBM taught me.
Just a few words from a fellow Ennis,
nic
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 02:28:49 am »
Hey thanks you guys... Nic, YaadPyar, Front-Ranger for listening and responding.  It helps to be able to talk to other men about this and the advice given is great.   Much appreciated.  I especailly like the Ennis saying, "I reckon they can just git another cowboy."  He wasn't one to change too much, but once he decided on somethin' ... he'd follow through.  I like that about him.

Rayn

PS: Just a note: I'm a lot like Jack too, more like him than Ennis, in fact, but I find there are aspects of both our heroes in each of us, don't you?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 02:33:19 am by Rayn »

Offline beeple

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 09:25:42 pm »
i am so like ennis because i chose my children over happiness. 

um..i have like ten more of these but that would just get really depressing.  i really didn't feel anything for ennis in the beginning but the more i watch this movie the more i see myself in ennis and (this is not related to my first point) how tragic his story was (not just how tragic jack and ennis' story was)..

on a lighter note
I can make it on a couple of high-altitude fucks a year.
sadly i must second this one.. :P

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2006, 12:29:57 pm »
I am so like Ennis because I am always poking my thumb in my eye.  ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2006, 01:18:36 pm »
I am sooo like Ennis in that I'm not good at good-byes.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 02:12:42 pm »
Though I'm guessing you didn't punch anyone, Barb ... or did you?

:laugh:

I'm so like Ennis because I wear jeans with a tan-and-white shirt. Well, I am today, anyway, in honor of my coffee date with Celeste this morning!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2006, 02:35:40 pm »
Though I'm guessing you didn't punch anyone, Barb ... or did you?

I'm not quite *that* bad at them.  ;)

I just kind of put a wall up, I think, to protect myself from breaking down.

Let's see - let me add another one.  I am sooo like Ennis in that I don't mind the cold and can get by on a thin jacket in anything above freezing.
No more beans!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 10:23:42 pm »
Jess made me admit it (on another thread) earlier today

I am Sooo like Ennis in that I'm a stander not a fixer - as in "If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it"

There! I've admitted it to everyone on Bettermost (well to everyone who comes and visits this thread, anyways)  ;D

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2006, 02:55:44 am »
I am so like Ennis when I worry that people know I'm Queer!  Granted, Ennis was dealilng with different times, but where I live, it's a subject that's barely ever spoken of and there's still a great deal of fear of being "found out" too!  We forget that some countries are very unlike the USA and Europe.

But then homosexuality it's not that hard to figure out, so what does it matter if they know?  Most adults understand and if they don't like it... tough sh**!   

Hmmmm, that felt good sayin' that! 

LOL   :D

Rayn 

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 09:17:37 pm »
I am so like Ennis in the way he is apologetic for not being what others wanted him to be.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 05:52:44 pm »
1) I can't dance for shit.
2) I can only communicate well with people I don't know very well.
3) I am superficially big and clumsey (of ocurse I am also basically big amd cluimsy as well, which Ennis isn't.
4) I am sexually one big KINK--but that's only since I saw Brokeback Mountain, which...I don't think Ennis ever did...except in one fanfic.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:56:50 am by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 12:25:43 am »
In honor of thread-bumping time. Anyone care to say why they're like Ennis?

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 11:26:53 am »
Right now I'm a woman alone with an adult daughter who is planning her wedding. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2011, 11:38:24 am »
Right now I'm a woman alone with an adult daughter who is planning her wedding. 

Gee. You're not supposed to be on roundup down by the Tetons, are you?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 01:28:04 pm »
Gee. You're not supposed to be on roundup down by the Tetons, are you?  ???

I wouldn't mind!  ;D  That sounds sooo exciting!