Author Topic: My Dream  (Read 2530 times)

IdahoLonely

My Dream
« on: March 06, 2006, 01:26:02 pm »
Hello everyone. I am sorry its been some days since I managed to write something on here. To be truthfull, I have been a bit scared these last coupla days because I have been having a lot of dreams about things and it has been freaking me out.

I had another big one after watching the awards on tv last night and so I dont thing its Bettermost doing it to me - its the movie again.

I dont really know for sure what my dream means but I am going to write it down and see what you guys think.

My dream starts with me sitting in my chair at my desk. I somehow know its summer out for some reason. Anyway, also for some reason I know that these religious types keep knocking on doors on the street and I dont want to hear it so when I hear a knock on my door I dont open it and instead I sneak down to the basement so they can't look inside and see me. What is weird is that these arent Christians, they are more like those people at the airports who try and sell you swami books or whatever. What is also weird is that I never had a house with a basement.

So I am standing in the basement with the lights off and whoever is at the door comes in and finds their way to the basement. So I see this guy in shadows as he comes down the stairs. Im not upset or scared by this, I dont know why.

When I see it is the Heath guy, but this is the Heath in real life not in character in the movie, I rush over and we end up hugging and kissing each other and I start crying real hard like I missed him. I guess in my dream we had been friends or something but I dont know if it was sexual. Its not sex though. There isnt any sex. Just holding kissing and crying.

I think I said something like I was sick of feeling the way I was about only seeing him sometimes. That probably is like in the film.

Anyway it seems like we spend the afternoon talking back and forth about our feelings.  Its weird because this is all set in modern days and this seems to be Heath in real life too.

There is then some blank time in my dream I don't remember. The next thing I remember is that we seem to be saying goodbye, and his girlfriend or wife is in view distance but not in earshot. Heath keeps apologizing and I keep holding back tears. Then something weird happens. We exchange guitars for who knows why. He gives me this fine guitar and tells me to hold onto it, and he gets this amaturish guitar, but I am not sure if I give it to him or if he had it already. The thing of it it seems to be he is giving me some very special thing-the guitar while he is going to put the amaturish guitar in its place at home. The girl in the car sees this and I can hear when Heath gets back to the car she is angry at him for doing this and how does he know me.. and so on.  He does not give any answer and looks like he is tuning her out. The end of my dream.

I dont know what all of this means but it has had me freaked for a coupla days now. No sex in the dreams, it seems like we've been seeing each other this way for a time and it was upsetting because of the time between seeing him (maybe the movie playing out for me). I would guess we were messin around behind the girls back but I never remember any actual messin around.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: My Dream
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 06:07:30 pm »
wow, Idaho, your posts continue to touch me deeply.

There are many theories about how to interpret dreams.  I tend towards the one by Perls, who says only the dreamer can know the meaning of his own dreams....  that anyone else (Freud included  ;)) cannot tell you what your dreams mean.  All we can do is toss about ideas for you to consider. 

The other basic idea from Perls --  and the more controversial one -- is that every symbol in your dream represents you, or better said, one part of you.  So, from a Perls-ian perspective, Heath in your dream is some part of yourself, and so is the girlfriend waiting in the car!  What part of you they refer to, that's for you to decide.

A rather startling notion, no?   :o

A useful exercise from Perls is to re-tell the dream from the point of view of one of the other characters within it.  If you want to try this, speak aloud to yourself, using the present tense, and re-tell the dream as Heath (for example).  "My name is Heath and I'm walking downstairs into the basement...."  and.....  what do you see?  Why are you there?  What do you do?  What are you feeling as you hold and kiss this man named Chris?

Continue through the entire dream -- or Heath's part in it anyway.  Do it out loud and keep in the present tense.....  but not in the library of course!   :D

Again, this exercise is, well, only an exercise.  Perls' objective was to encourage new ways to think about a dream, but only you decide whether this exercise or anybody's interpretation is relevant.

Only you.

If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 02:05:37 am »
Hi, Idaho...after reading your dream sequence I can only begin to wonder if it occurs because you are a straight male and afraid that viewing this film is making you question your sexuality, or a gay male just on a fantasy dream (not being funny or ridiculing).

In either case, I would suggest professional help.  Don't take the advise of anyone responding to your posting.  You seem to think this is a very serious situation, and like all dreams, they can be threating to your sanity.  I'm no doctor...I'm just suggesting contacting one.  Good luck.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 12:34:18 am »
I have a different view. Having a dream that shakes you up is an opportunity to understand yourself better. It is never, or hardly ever, a reason for going to a psychiatrist (altho seeing a counselor is often a good thing). The Tibetan Buddhists say that when you are dreaming, you are in the "between" -- the place between life and death, and you are experiencing a little of what it's like to be dead. Only, they believe that death is just an intermediate place between lives. They believe in reincarnation, and so do I.

I have had many unsettling dreams and I have tried to use them as learning experiences. I feel that I am blessed with a rich dreaming life that has helped me immensely to understand myself. Don't be afraid. Embrace it!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"