Author Topic: Art Which Transcends Art -- by sunmoonstars-1  (Read 1943 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Art Which Transcends Art -- by sunmoonstars-1
« on: June 18, 2007, 06:28:15 pm »
REPOST
===============================================================
Art Which Transcends Art (Per Request)   
by - sunmoonstars-1 (Sun Jan 29 2006 23:29:49 )   

UPDATED Thu Mar 16 2006 05:57:01
It doesn't matter what awards it gets. Yes, it is a stupendous film, it has the power to change lives. I know it did mine. It is so different from every film out there, I am not surprised that critics are giving it awards but that mainstream Hollywood is shying away from it. They don't know how to respond. I would not be surprised if it did not receive any Oscar awards at all, because I think it is in great part a film still ahead of its time. This film has the power to change consciousness, and in my humble opinion on a level which is far above any change which may be credited to any film over the past century.

Because it is so groundbreaking, so revolutionary, it will be remembered, it will be recognized in 2050, in 2100, and probably even beyond as the film that changed the way a great many people thought about their lives, about love, and about what it means to truly pursue happiness. Right now, this type of consciousness evolution is not going to be accepted in Hollywood, which I think is more interested in conventionality and small, indiscernible changes in thought. They do not want to change society, because they do not know how that will affect their profits. They will not reward a film that so blatantly makes us face our inner selves, no matter how beautiful it is.

Why?, you ask. Because Brokeback Mountain transcends every other film that has ever been made. It is art which transcends art, and perhaps should be called something totally different. Here is something which changes the nature of thinking, and intellectualism, and the human soul. Here is something which challenges everything that we have ever known or been told about society, about love, about relationship, about sex. Here is something which grips us and shakes us so suddenly and with such raw emotion that no-one is prepared for it when it happens. The audience is not prepared for it. The critics were not prepared for it and praise it audibly. Hollywood is not prepared for it and looks away, searching for anything which brings some semblence of what they once knew that films were about back to them. Like government, it fears revolution.

Do I wish that the Academy would give the actors, the director, and the writers the awards they deserved? Yes, with no question. Will they do so? Perhaps a little bit, but not to the extent that we know that they should.

Re: Art Which Transcends Art (Per Request)   
by - BannerHill (Sun Jan 29 2006 23:33:42 )   

Well thanks for posting this

I will repeat what I said before.

Who cares what awards Brokeback Mountain gets. It does not matter. Did YOU like it? Did it affect YOUR life? Will YOU still love it in 2016?

There is something a lot more important going on here that awards shows.

"I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there!"

Re: Art Which Transcends Art (Per Request)   
by - BannerHill (Sun Jan 29 2006 23:39:26 )   

I agree!

"I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there!"

The 'Brokeback Mountain' Shaped Hole   
by - sunmoonstars-1 (Sun Jan 29 2006 23:51:20 )   

UPDATED Wed Feb 22 2006 13:46:53
In many ways, it is this same transcendent quality of this film which can so readily respond to the ache that many people have when they leave the film, whether it be for their first or their fifteenth time. Have any of you ever experienced this type of spiritual phenomenon with any other film before? As some of you have said, it is like your heart was ripped out of your chest and stomped on. This type of emotional response can only be due to an inherent desire in the human spirit for some quality or response that only this film can provide.

Our hearts ache because we know that there is something good and worthwhile in the world, and it exists in the experience of this film. It was a film which everyone said would never be made, based on a short story which was almost never published. In all respects, this film should not exist. It is a miracle creation. Against all odds, everything that stood in the way of this film, it came into being. Not even the conservative media could prevent people from seeing this film. If the national guard had been called out to prevent people from seeing the film, I still think it would have had the huge impact that we know it has today.

This film is utterly inspiring in its transcendent qualities; it demands a maturation of the soul, it demands thought and sincerity in action, it demands change and questioning of the way things were. It demands revolution in thought. This is apparent as it has the power to change even dreams. The subconscious mind recognizes this film as true power, for it affects us so emotionally, and so directly, that for those who see this film and are open to it for even a little bit are changed at the core of their beings. It is as if their mind is suddenly capable of perceiving and their heart is capable of experiencing more than they could before. This is truly transcendent.

I have often defined art as being: transcendent, emotional, and evocative. "Brokeback Mountain" leaves a hole in your soul that only it can fill. It is something more than art. It does not demand emotion or evocation, it demands a new consciousness, a surrender of old mentalities. This is not something that humans easily can succumb to. It was nearly a thousand years from the fall of the Roman empire to the Renaissance. Because the growth of consciousness is something which we as a society resist.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40