Author Topic: Ennis' shoulder: Important symbolism? --- by StreetWithNoName  (Read 2254 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
(REPOST) Many thanks to "TheDozyEmbrace" for saving this thread!

Ennis' shoulder: Important symbolism?

by StreetWithNoName (Fri Aug 11 2006 12:09:10 )
UPDATED Fri Aug 11 2006 12:30:15

Did anyone notice how they only showed Ennis from behind the shoulder in key scenes?:

-The "You know I ain't queer" scene
-When he starts to break down during Jack's long speech about how they could've had a life together
-When he reads DECEASED on the postcard
-When he shuts the closet door at the end

Is there any significance to this? Is Lee trying to convey how Ennis has "turned his back" from the emotional truth of his life?

by BannerHill (Fri Aug 11 2006 12:15:58 )

That is a thought provoking observation.

by StreetWithNoName (Fri Aug 11 2006 14:59:27 )

Yeah...so why is nobody talking about it?!

by elscorcho10101 (Fri Aug 11 2006 15:01:24 )

That's pretty much the way I always took it. I always saw it as a representation of his denial and reluctance to acknowledge things about himself and about his life that were evident, but he wouldn't talk about. Ennis is "the strong silent type" and I think that it's magnified by Lee's choices/your observation.

by vhw11 (Sat Aug 12 2006 16:17:30 )

Only when Ennis turns his back, the audience can see what he sees, what he faces, what is in front of him.

by StreetWithNoName (Sun Aug 13 2006 12:39:49 )

Check out the held shot on Ennis as he transforms from his smiling, chuckling, fulfilled, vulnerable, bare-headed self [size of and use of hats is another key Ang Lee device throughout the film] reacting to Jack's suggestion of a 'sweet life' together into a cowering, fearful, wizened, recalcitrant spirit, pulling his hat on and changing from the initial full-frontal open-ness towards Jack to turn away presenting his back towards him. It's a heart-breaking moment.

You're right, Lee demonstrates the closing-off oF Ennis in that brief moment.

by don8946 (Mon Aug 14 2006 01:51:59 )

Having the audience look over Ennis' shoulder pretty much lets the viewer see everything from his point of view.

by retropian (Mon Aug 14 2006 21:23:29 )

Fantastic observations.

by Santinos_Bridesmade (Wed Aug 16 2006 10:17:22 )

Excellent observations!! Especially yours, CaseyCornelius. Ennis always did turn his back on what he knew deep down, and his intentions to protect himself and Jack from love's consequences manifested themselves in the cold shoulder. He does carry a lot on those shoulders - the obligation to live life as a "normal," God-fearing man.

by StreetWithNoName (Wed Aug 16 2006 20:49:07 )

Let's keep the comments/discussions rolling

by naun (Fri Aug 18 2006 14:49:39 )

Ang Lee fans might like to look up the introduction he gives on the Criterion DVD of Ingmar Bergman's Virgin Spring. This was apparently the first arthouse film that Lee ever saw, and he talks about the impact that it had on him as a teenager. In particular, he talks about the scene where the Max von Sydow character addresses his God. Bergman films this scene from behind, and Lee says that this shot has influenced him ever since.

by StreetWithNoName (Wed Aug 23 2006 13:56:08 )
UPDATED Wed Aug 23 2006 13:56:59

What do you think Lee is trying to convey with this image? That anyone who reaches out tp Ennis never really "connects" with him, because he never is willing to reveal the innermost part of himself?

by skessa (Thu Oct 5 2006 01:09:50 )

everyone has an idee fixe of his own. hands - is mine.

i adore their hands and everything they both do with those hands.

i probably wouldn't be able to love the story so much if even one of them had bad-looking hands.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40