Author Topic: Why did those Farmers call Jack a Pissant? -- Matthew78  (Read 2822 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Why did those Farmers call Jack a Pissant? -- Matthew78
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:42:40 pm »
Why did those Farmers call Jack a Pissant?   
  by Matthew78   (Thu Sep 7 2006 11:35:53 )

UPDATED Thu Sep 7 2006 11:39:25
In Lureen's Office those two Farmers called Jack Twist a Pissant when he was showing the Companys Farm Equipment to the Farmers and Ranchers, But why did they do that? Jealous of Jack being a Rodeo Cowboy when they were both too pathetic to be allowed to do it or they got thrown off of the Bulls and he could actually ride a long time when they couldnt? or they just didnt think that he was very Macho, And Lureens Father didnt like Jack either, Football sucks anyway, Just another small minded Redneck whos never been off the Farm IMHO.

An Eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind-Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Why did those Farmers call Jack a Pissant?   
  by BannerHill   (Thu Sep 7 2006 11:50:13 )

Pissant seems to be a regional expression. It implies being inconsequential, someone not to be taken seriously. A modern equivalent might be 'wannabe'

It is interesting to me that Ang Lee went to the effort to film this scene and show Lureen's reaction. I estimate it must have taken half a day of production in order to film this scene. That translates to approximately $50,000.

What does it mean?

by malina-5   (Thu Sep 7 2006 12:17:19 )

<<What does it mean?>>

It allows us to fill in information about Jack's life with Lureen. Notice Lureen's face as that comment is made. She doesn't like it, but she won't say anything to defend Jack. He's her husband, and LD Newsome and co. feel comfortable calling him a pissant right in front of her. It gives a context to the Thanksgiving scene. LD is speechless when Jack actually stands up to him, asserts that this is his home and his child. Lureen is pleased.

Lureen is an interesting one...

by NewHorizons37   (Thu Sep 7 2006 12:19:57 )

UPDATED Thu Sep 7 2006 12:51:52
I too originally thought that one of the men calling Jack a pissant in front of Lureen was LD Newsome, but neither of them are. It is two customers having a conversation between themselves. It's still telling that Lureen would not say anything.

by malina-5   (Thu Sep 7 2006 12:41:48 )

<<I too thought that one of the men calling Jack a pissant in front of Lureen was LD Newsome,>>

Wow! I really thought it was! Isn't it LD who says, "he used to try"?
I'll have to watch again i guess.

by LauraGigs   (Thu Sep 7 2006 12:20:42 )

Those men were customers at the business. Lureen didn't feel it was appropriate to argue with them. (Not worthwhile anyway, since they are basically rednecks as Matthew said.)

by BannerHill   (Thu Sep 7 2006 12:50:56 )   

That wasn't Lureens FATHER calling Jack a pissant, was it?

by tillerman-1   (Thu Sep 7 2006 13:42:53 )   

No it wasn't Lureens father. But I always thought he must have been a friend of L.D's. He looks at her when he says "He use to try"(they both must have knowen she was married to Jack)so he was bringing her into the conversation and in a way letting her know that everyone thinks Jack is a pissant. Lureen, wisely (IMO) doesn't say anything.

by Santinos_Bridesmade   (Thu Sep 7 2006 13:45:06 )   

What was wise about it? They had no right to say that about Jack. Lureen should've defended him.

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."

by tillerman-1   (Thu Sep 7 2006 15:38:06 )

Why?????? Did Jack seem like he needed someone to defend him...... To me he didn't seem to care what anyone thought of him (besides Ennis).

"People will believe anything when it's said in a whisper."

by Santinos_Bridesmade   (Thu Sep 7 2006 12:19:08 )

UPDATED Thu Sep 7 2006 12:20:31
Because they were @ssholes and Lureen was a spineless jellyfish who wasn't willing to defend her own husband. I never liked Lureen at all. She didn't deserves Jack at all.

How did Jack put up with her and her father for so long? Poor guy. No one appreciated Jack, not Lureen, not L.D., not even Ennis.

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."

by jshane2002   (Thu Sep 7 2006 16:51:52 )   

I haven't been on this board for several months but there are previous posts where some Texans who write here explained that "pissant" refers to a nobody or a ne're-do-well.

My own take on that scene ( feel free to contribute differing opinions ) :

I've always thought that one of the Texans in that dealership is the same guy who was the announcer at the rodeo. The guy looks and sounds like the announcer anyway and Childress is such a small town.

Since Childress is so small it seems likely the LD Newsome and his pretty daughter would be well known. They might even be LD's buddies and are just making up the conversation for Lureen's benefit. Jack landed himself a nice meal ticket when he married Lureen and a small town like Childress probably dishes up the details about Lureen's marriage of convenience.

"Hell, Lureen's dad has practically said he pay me a down payment just to leave." -- Jack

by NewHorizons37   (Thu Sep 7 2006 18:22:34 )   

I've always thought that one of the Texans in that dealership is the same guy who was the announcer at the rodeo.

Hmm, you got me curious, so I checked the credits. There is an Announcer as well as Farmer #1 and Farmer #2, all played by different men.

by BannerHill   (Fri Sep 8 2006 13:50:49 )   

From a business point of view, it makes sense that Lureen didn't rush to Jack's defense. Maybe they were customers. No reason to kill a deal because of a petty offense. She wasn't going to come down on them, but she wasn't too pleased either. Really it's the begining of her bitterness. She becomes resigned while Jack does his own thing. Sad, really

by ScissorhandsRaineyluv   (Fri Sep 8 2006 15:15:50 )

I've been thinking a lot about that line actually..."Hey, didn't that pissant used to ride bulls?" "He used to try."Ok, so I've always wondered, does this scene too have a deeper meaning? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "riding bulls" have gay undertones? So, er...were those two men implying that Jack used to try and pick up men, but was constantly rejected? This would also contribute to Jack not having friends because of his reputation there. That might also explain Lureen's behavior in that scene.She is confronted(maybe again...?) that there is a possiblity that Jack isn't who she thinks he is,so she looks ashamed and embarassed, and without saying a word she quickly goes back to working while shaking her head.

So does anyone else agree that the 'pissant' scene is referring to more than just rodeoing, or am I just over-analyzing this film to death?

"Should he tell her? Should he not tell her? He's torn, Georgie. This is drama." Ed Wood

by latjoreme   (Sat Sep 9 2006 22:10:56 )   

ScissorhandsRaineyluv, that's the best explanation I've seen for a scene that has always seemed pretty pointless to me.

by jshane2002   (Mon Sep 11 2006 21:22:54 )   

"I've always thought that one of the Texans in that dealership is the same guy who was the announcer at the rodeo. "

Hmm, you got me curious, so I checked the credits. There is an Announcer as well as Farmer #1 and Farmer #2, all played by different men

------------------------------------------

Thanks for checking the credits, I wasn't sure. What's striking about BBM is how the men in cowboy hats, men of all ages in this movie seem to look the same.

There are several scenes where a younger cowboy walk by right when Ennis is in the midst of conflict:

A young cowboy with dark hair walks by when Ennis gets his dry heaves.

Again a young cowboy with dark hair and with a figure kind of like Jack's walks by when Ennis is arguing with Alma by the swingset.

And lastly you see a lanky young cowboy with dark hair coming into the bus terminal with Cassie.

it seems like Ang Lee is using the archetype of a western cowboy as image of fate in Ennis' life.

-------------------

"Oh sure Carl's nice, he even talks."

Re: bump   
  by shortfic   (Sun Dec 3 2006 20:25:57 )   

Nobody in Childress seems to care much for Jack--I mean, as far as we know, since we don't see too many of the citizens. L.D. refers to him as "rodeo" and to himself as the stud duck, implies that Bobby should grow up to be a man by watching football; Jimbo the rodeo clown rejects Jack's offer of a free drink and goes to gossip (I assume) with the guys at the pool table; the men in Lureen's office insult Jack; and IF Jack was murdered, it takes place on a back road somewhere in Texas, probably not far from Childress.
Heck, even Bobby's teacher doesn't like Jack because he complains too much. :)

"Say thank you, Gilbert. Say thank you."

Re: bump   
  by NewHorizons37   (Mon Dec 4 2006 05:44:12 )   

Nobody in Childress seems to care much for Jack

Except Randall. 

Actually, I agree with most of what you write, except the Jimbo part. I always assumed that the Jimbo part took place at another stop on the rodeo circuit, not in Childress. The arena where Jimbo did his work is not the one in Childress where Lureen did her event, and the bar where Jimbo rejects Jack is different from the one where Lureen picks up Jack.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40