Author Topic: This is not a private 'We Love BBM' forum -- by ClancyPantsNasty  (Read 2113 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
REPOST (Clancy again co-opts the title of a troll post)
===============================================================
This is not a private 'We Love BBM' forum.   
by ClancyPantsNasty (Wed Nov 29 2006 13:04:34 )   

No, it really isn't.

You know, something I've been thinking about for a while here is that we at this board sure have formed a community. One of the things I really like about this community is that we are all open to accepting all kinds of opinions about "Brokeback Mountain." Some are intelligent, some are not. Some are glowing, some are not.

But all in all, we accept all of the varied opinions and respond to them appropriately.

I guess the only time that we get to the point of deciding we can't accept (or at least learn to ignore) posts that don't praise BBM is when people come here and flood the board with the same messages over and over again… or when the messages are simply meant to flame the board… or when the posters start out by showing their own inner bigotry and self-loathing hatred. Then, I guess, we do the right thing, don’t we?

I know there are a lot of people who don't think BBM is the perfect movie, and I am glad that we have changed a number of open minds in this regard. Unfortunately, there are those who choose to keep their minds closed, who do not understand the underlying themes of this film, and who then choose to believe that the kind of praise that it gets here is just some kind of undeserved gooey mush. Then, they think they have some kind of a right to step into another person's living room and act childishly disrespectful. Some people’s kids, hunh?

Re: This is not a private 'We Love BBM' forum.   
by bmxcru (Wed Nov 29 2006 13:16:10 )

That was an excellent post right up to the point where you implied that those who don't think BBM is the perfect movie are "closed-minded". I thought it was a good enough film but just don't get as jazzed about it others. It's my opinion and I am entitled to it. If you'd like your opinion respected extend the same courtesy.
Thank you

by littlewing1957 (Wed Nov 29 2006 13:24:33 )   

UPDATED Wed Nov 29 2006 13:29:01
<<That was an excellent post right up to the point where you implied that those who don't think BBM is the perfect movie are "closed-minded". I thought it was a good enough film but just don't get as jazzed about it others. It's my opinion and I am entitled to it. If you'd like your opinion respected extend the same courtesy.>>

Pleease re-read Clancy's post. He is NOT saying that those who don't think BBM is the perfect movie are close-minded.

by idgeet (Wed Nov 29 2006 13:17:34 )   

nicely put clancy.

there is no problem with a dissenting opinion... as long as it's presented in a respectful manner. that's why these boards exist.. to voice our OPINIONS.

"...later."

by littlewing1957 (Wed Nov 29 2006 13:26:06 )   

Very well said, Clancy!

by ClancyPantsNasty (Wed Nov 29 2006 14:32:08 )

Hi bmxcru --

"...right up to the point where you implied that those who don't think BBM is the perfect movie are "closed-minded". I thought it was a good enough film but just don't get as jazzed about it others. It's my opinion and I am entitled to it. If you'd like your opinion respected extend the same courtesy."

Please re-read the paragraph. I used “and” to link together three characteristics of some people and then I used the word “then” to show what those particular people might do, that is “Then, they think they have some kind of a right to step into another person's living room and act childishly disrespectful.”

The important words here are “childishly disrespectful.” Dissenting opinions are welcome. Childish disrespect is not. Not all people who dislike BBM are closed-minded. But, of those who do not like it, some come here and act childishly disrespectful. It is those of whom I was speaking.

For example, in your first post on this baord, and your second, for that matter, you showed that you are not a huge BBM fan. Not a problem. You stated your opinion and were not disrespectful about it. Nothing wrong with that. And, it does not make you closed-minded.

BTW, OT – how’d you come up with your screen name? It’s not exactly fanciful and it makes one wonder what you want people to think of you.

by bmxcru (Wed Nov 29 2006 18:44:56 )   

Yes, I did re-read your post shortly after I replied. Sorry if I came off as disgruntled. Not the case. My name actually comes from a super cheesy 80's flick called RAD. It's a BMX movie and the hero's name is Cru. There are few who do get the reference.
Thanks for being friendly and respectful

by ClancyPantsNasty (Wed Nov 29 2006 19:10:25 )

Hi bmxcru –

“Yes, I did re-read your post shortly after I replied. Sorry if I came off as disgruntled.”

Not a problem. I get accused of it all the time.

“My name actually comes from a super cheesy 80's flick called RAD. It's a BMX movie and the hero's name is Cru. There are few who do get the reference.

(knock my head against the wall) Yes. I should have known this. I’m sorry. I’m a retired surgeon and I immediately though of BM (bowel movement) and xcru (excrement) – because many people take on screen names that have to do with such things – and I just don't get that. But now that you explain, I should have noticed that myself. Sorry.

“Thanks for being friendly and respectful”

I really do try. (Well, except for with the people who come here trying to be intentionally rude and disruptive – I just don’t get that either.)

by ddmaul (Wed Nov 29 2006 19:13:48 )

Now THAT'S just about the funniest thing I've seen on these boards! Poor guy's paying homage to a motorcross flick, and the deeply profound and insightful Clancy* thinks he's making poopy jokes! Priceless... :)

*I mean that sincerely, btw. It's what makes this misunderstanding so especially comical!

by Shasta254 (Wed Nov 29 2006 19:20:10 )   

Hey, this is an entertaining board! :)

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

by xdreamfly (Wed Nov 29 2006 19:29:43 )   

Very much so! Funny misunderstanding...we should start a separate thread of what our screen names mean, I mean I have no idea what "Clancy Pants" is referring to, and I'd like to, or "Shasta" (unless it is your real name); I got a kick out of "Malina", for example, since it means raspberry in russian (and turns out, in Croatian too) so I thought it was a nickname, until she mentioned it is her real name; cool name! So new thread?

by malina-5 (Sat Dec 2 2006 02:42:36 )   

<<I got a kick out of "Malina", for example, since it means raspberry in russian (and turns out, in Croatian too) so I thought it was a nickname, until she mentioned it is her real name; cool name! >>

thank you! but actually, come to think of it, it does have an unpleasant medical/ excretory connotation as well.. might be spelled differently, though.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40