Author Topic: An American Girl in Paris  (Read 38501 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
An American Girl in Paris
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:49:17 pm »
OK, I'm going to start here.  If Jess wants to move this to the right forum, more power to 'em.

It's getting close!!!  In September, I'll be in Paris, France for the first time!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

After much research, since we're traveling very frugally, I think my sister and I have finally found a couple of hotels that aren't already booked and aren't on the corner of Crack and Addict or just across the street from it.  We've read other traveler reviews of the hotels, paid close attention when adjectives  such as 'quaint' and '19th' century were used, which usually means no elevator for a 5 story building.

Now, I'm looking for all kinds of advice and helpful hints and places I should absolutely not miss while there.  I have several guidebooks, but by all means let me hear your experiences.

Like I mentioned in another thread a long time ago, I usually eat very little while traveling overseas simply due to my digestive issues and likes and dislikes - I'm gluten sensitive (protein found in grains e.g. bread/cereal foods), I'm lactose intolerant (all milk products except for sour cream and yogurt), am allergic to all tropical fruits and fruits such as peaches, grapes, plums;  citrus fruits give me heart palpitations.  Eating these foods give me very uncomfortable and inconvenient body reactions.

Trying to find a bathroom in a foreign city while walking to see the sights is a very bad experience I want to avoid.  It happened to me in London (a side affect from airplane food) but I was with a London friend at the time and he directed me to a bathroom in his favorite pub and later (yes, another attack a few minutes later) to a bathroom in an art museum.

I spent the rest of my London trip eating mostly candy bars and diet Pepsi (the only diet soda sold in London apparently). 

Sadly, I don't drink coffee nor wine unless it's a very expensive wine.

Yeah, seems like Paris is a wash for me as far as food is concerned.  :(

So, I'm a salad, eggs and meat kinda girl, so if you guys can help me in the food area too, that would be great.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: An American Girl in Paris
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:11:22 pm »
France has good yogurt.  Also, meat stores whee the meat is cooked already is called a charcuterie, and you can get really yummy smoked meats there. 

(Always carry your own toilet paper.  Just since that's already been a topic.)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 07:15:20 am »
Someone suggested this to me, and it turned out to be good advice...

On the day you arrive, when you are battling jet lag, take a boat ride on the Seine. It is a good way to get a good overview of the city, see the famous bridges, and get a sense of where the major landmarks are. Since you are riding on a boat, you are not using a ton energy hiking around.

Personal safety warning: keep your purse, wallet, camera, etc., close to you. There are pickpockets!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 07:50:54 am »
Salad, meat and eggs? I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding something to your taste in Paris. Can I suggest fries instead of eggs? Then go to 'Le Relais de l'Entrecote' and have the best steak and fries you've ever had. There are two in Paris, Rue Marbeuf 15 and Rue Saint-Benoît 20. The  one we visited was the Saint-Benoît one, it was in the Saint-Germain-des-Prés district. We had sunday lunch there, the place was packed with parisiens and they only serve one meal! We didn't know this going in but it turned out to be great. A mixed salad with excellent vinaigrette for starters and then a fantastic, succulent steak with french fries! We were a happy bunch!  :)

I agree with Leslie, the boat ride on the Seine (with the 'bateau mouche'  :)) is a great idea. We spent a couple of days in Paris last June with our kids and the boat ride was one of their favorites.

And you get a good view of the Eiffel Tower as it's right next to the Seine. (and pass Alma Bridge ) 

Not far from the Eiffel Tower is the Rodin Museum, don't miss that. It has a beautiful garden and of course 'The Kiss' by Rodin.

We really enjoyed Beaubourg, (a modern art complex) with all the crazy scuptures. A very nice relaxed atmosphere, lots of street performers and outside cafés.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 08:35:20 am »
I can't offer any advice, but I can say I'm happy for you to have the opportunity to make the trip!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 08:52:13 am »
Del, that's great!  I love Paris, and hope you will too.

Regarding food, it's not that difficult to eat according to your specs.  In fact, a ubiquitous thing is called "salade lyonnaise" which is frisee lettuce with bacon and eggs (usually runny soft-boiled):  excellent lunch.  Just skip the croutons.  You can find this and many other "composed salads" at almost any cafe. 

BTW, the bathrooms in Paris have improved considerably from the days of two-footprints-and-a-whole-in-the-floor.

Do you know any French?  It really helps to learn a little, especially the basic polite phrases.  A little can go a long way and distinguish you from the "typical" American who shouts in English. 

Definitely explore the Marais neighborhood:  funky, rising, gay-friendly, great shops and cafes.  The Picasso Museum is there (a little hard to find, but worth it), and the famous Place des Vosges:

When you arrive, I suggest buying a copy of "Pariscope", a little magazine with all the cultural and cinematic happenings for the week.  There is/was a small section in English.  There are concerts practically every night of the week, often in a church.  My favorite is the Sainte-Chapelle:  a gem of 13th century high Gothic architecture.  It's currently surrounded by now-government buildings, and you have to go through airport-like security, but well-worth it.  I have heard Baroque chamber music there, and also traditional Algerian music.  With the light coming through the stained-glass windows, it's like being in heaven.

Bonne vacances!

Paul

Offline opinionista

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:03:07 am »
Like I mentioned in another thread a long time ago, I usually eat very little while traveling overseas simply due to my digestive issues and likes and dislikes - I'm gluten sensitive (protein found in grains e.g. bread/cereal foods), I'm lactose intolerant (all milk products except for sour cream and yogurt), am allergic to all tropical fruits and fruits such as peaches, grapes, plums;  citrus fruits give me heart palpitations.  Eating these foods give me very uncomfortable and inconvenient body reactions.

Hey Del, I'm lactose intolerant too. I suggest to tell the waiter in advance about your food allergies. Try to get them go to the kitchen to make sure whatever you are ordering has no dairy or gluten in it. It works for me, however I have to be a bit dramatic sometimes to get them understand it is a bad problem.

Also, in Europe Diet Coke is called Coca Cola light.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:00:13 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:31:02 am »
Oh yes, I loved Sainte Chappelle...it was beautiful.

The Musee d'Orsay was also great.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:53:48 pm »
Thanks for all the help so far guys.  :-*

For you in the know, do Paris cafes have alternate sweetners like Equal, SweetnLow or Splenda?  I’m thinking I’m going to have to take my own.

And do you wait to be seated at most cafes or do you just sit down and waiters come to you?

Ellemeno

France has good yogurt.  Also, meat stores whee the meat is cooked already is called a charcuterie, and you can get really yummy smoked meats there.

Great!  Am writing this name down.

(Always carry your own toilet paper.  Just since that's already been a topic.)

Check.

Leslie

On the day you arrive, when you are battling jet lag, take a boat ride on the Seine. It is a good way to get a good overview of the city, see the famous bridges, and get a sense of where the major landmarks are. Since you are riding on a boat, you are not using a ton energy hiking around.

Really?  I’ve heard the exact opposite.  I’ve heard that no matter what time you arrive, force yourself to acclimatize to their time immediately (if you arrive during their day, stay awake, if you arrive during the night, make yourself sleep).

I’ve only been overseas once before and if I suffered jetlag, I didn’t know it.

I was SO pumped and wound up to be in London on my own, that once I got to my hotel (it was mid-morning and I’d been on a plane since 1pm the day before) - I changed and promptly went for a long long walk. I made some calls to let everyone know I’d arrived.  I checked out the neighborhood, then walked up to Hyde Park for a few hours, then ducked into Harrods on my way back, and got some take-out from there, started back to the hotel to eat, got lost in the diplomats’ home part of town, made it back to the hotel, ate dinner, went out again to go to the chemist’s for giftwrap and tape for my London friend’s gift.  On the way back, I found a grocery store, bought a snack and a soda and by the time I got back to the hotel, it was full on dark and I was ready to settle in, read a bit and sleep. 

The flight to Paris is little more than an hour and half longer than to London, so I’m not expecting to feel much different.

Personal safety warning: keep your purse, wallet, camera, etc., close to you. There are pickpockets!

*sigh*  Thanks.

belbbm

Salad, meat and eggs? I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding something to your taste in Paris. Can I suggest fries instead of eggs? Then go to 'Le Relais de l'Entrecote' and have the best steak and fries you've ever had. There are two in Paris, Rue Marbeuf 15 and Rue Saint-Benoît 20. The  one we visited was the Saint-Benoît one, it was in the Saint-Germain-des-Prés district. We had sunday lunch there, the place was packed with parisiens and they only serve one meal! We didn't know this going in but it turned out to be great. A mixed salad with excellent vinaigrette for starters and then a fantastic, succulent steak with french fries! We were a happy bunch!   

Yes!  I can eat potatoes!  Steak and a salad.  Sounds yummy.  Thanks!!

I agree with Leslie, the boat ride on the Seine (with the 'bateau mouche'   ) is a great idea. We spent a couple of days in Paris last June with our kids and the boat ride was one of their favorites.

Check.

Not far from the Eiffel Tower is the Rodin Museum, don't miss that. It has a beautiful garden and of course 'The Kiss' by Rodin.

We really enjoyed Beaubourg, (a modern art complex) with all the crazy scuptures. A very nice relaxed atmosphere, lots of street performers and outside cafés.

Writing this all down. ;D

Paul

I hope I love Paris, too.  I wasn’t originally very enthused about the trip.  Paris is my sister’s dream city destination, like London was mine.  I was absolutely blasé about the trip until I actually started making the plans, now I’m really excited about it.  Guess I just like traveling.  :)

Regarding food, it's not that difficult to eat according to your specs.  In fact, a ubiquitous thing is called "salade lyonnaise" which is frisee lettuce with bacon and eggs (usually runny soft-boiled):  excellent lunch.  Just skip the croutons.  You can find this and many other "composed salads" at almost any cafe.

And I also read about salade nicoise?  Something like that?

Do you know any French?  It really helps to learn a little, especially the basic polite phrases.  A little can go a long way and distinguish you from the "typical" American who shouts in English.

No, and that worries me a great deal.  I am teaching myself how to count to twenty in French, the cardinal directions which is useful in the Metro and on maps and other important words like "right/left", "up/down", "higher/lower", "near/far", “where is -” “how much -“ and “get lost/beat it/scram”.  But at least I know Spanish, so I have another language option.  I just have to figure out how to say ‘Spanish’ in French so I’ll know how to ask people if they know how to speak it.  ;D 

Definitely explore the Marais neighborhood:  funky, rising, gay-friendly, great shops and cafes.  The Picasso Museum is there (a little hard to find, but worth it), and the famous Place des Vosges

One of our hotel options is in the 4eme in the Marais neighborhood!  I read it was the gay part of town and thought that a definite plus as far as safety from men getting pushy for two single women.  But my sister’s French friend who is a cop – gendarme? – of some sort, said our hotel option in 7eme was safer and nicer.  Which is strange for him to say so since I think he’s either a transsexual or a really butch lesbian.

Opinionista

Hey Del, I'm lactose intolerant too. I suggest to tell the waiter in advance about your food allergies. Try to get them go to the kitchen to make sure whatever you are ordering has no dairy or gluten in it. It works for me, however I have to be a bit dramatic sometimes to get them understand it is a bad problem.

Gah.  :-\  OK, if the waiters speak English/Spanish, I’ll ask.  Otherwise, I’ll just pick at my food.

Also, in Europe Diet Coke is called Coca Cola light.

LOL!  Thanks.  Guess I already know a "Royale with Cheese"  ;)  My sister could never find lemonade in London, they always kept serving her lemon-lime soda.  But I found the words for a lemonade in French.  She has it written down.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 12:04:56 am »
Del, you're in luck!  In French, "espagnol" is pronounced almost exactly like "español" is in Spanish. 

So you can check that one off your list!  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 12:07:21 am »
I'm seeing a trip to Paris for some travelin' little Brokies in the future....  :)

Del, I have a good French accent (I learned it as a child).  Whenever I'm floundering for vocabulary, people tell me my accent is excellent.  :)  I'd be happy to help with pronunciation over the phone or sumpn. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 12:33:10 am »
Really?  I’ve heard the exact opposite.  I’ve heard that no matter what time you arrive, force yourself to acclimatize to their time immediately (if you arrive during their day, stay awake, if you arrive during the night, make yourself sleep).

The New York Times, for some reason, recommends eating lots of dried cherries on the plane over as a jet-lag remedy. I recommended this to Chrissi when she came here for the BBQ, and Elle helpfully bought her some dried cherries, and she didn't like them so she REFUSED TO TAKE HER MEDICINE. ::) :laugh:  :-* (Admittedly, she seemed to do fine without them.  :laugh:) So we still don't know if they actually work. But it's worth a try. I have heard that jet lag is worse going from here to Europe than the other way around. My experience has been, I'm pretty zoned out the first day and after that I'm fine.

I am teaching myself how to count to twenty in French, the cardinal directions which is useful in the Metro and on maps and other important words like "right/left", "up/down", "higher/lower", "near/far", “where is -” “how much -“ and “get lost/beat it/scram”.  But at least I know Spanish, so I have another language option.  I just have to figure out how to say ‘Spanish’ in French so I’ll know how to ask people if they know how to speak it.  ;D 

Between now and September, you could learn quite a lot of French if you bought a set of French-teaching CDs and listened to them in the car or whenever you have a chance -- taking a bath, washing dishes ... I did that before going to Italy a couple of years ago and although I was pretty remiss about the lessons (I listened to them in the car -- that is, whenever I didn't feel like listening to music or silence!) I actually found that even what little I picked up was quite valuable once I got there for basic things. And my friend Leigh, who was more responsible with the CDs, was popular everywhere we went for her mastery of the language.

Besides, if you already know Spanish, you're halfway there.

Some programs are better than others for travelers. For instance, some will focus on fundamental grammar and lines like, "Bonjour Mademoiselle, how are you today?" and "I search for a good wine in the cellar" (my most memorable line from the junior-high French filmstrip, "Je recherche un bon vin dans la cave"). While others will say, "Does this room come with a shower?" and "Do you have anything cheaper?" -- lines that might come in more handy.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 05:20:00 am »
Opinionista

Gah.  :-\  OK, if the waiters speak English/Spanish, I’ll ask.  Otherwise, I’ll just pick at my food.

A friend of mine was in Paris a few weeks ago and told me she noticed the number of Spanish speaking waiters in restaurants has increased in the past few years. Some are Ecuadorian immigrants. However, since Spain is a neighboring country, a lot of French speak Spanish or understand it to an extent. Be aware that some Parisians are rude. They're sick of tourists, but don't take it personal. It is not with you.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 06:32:47 am »

Yes, I agree with that. Get your body onto local time the minute you arrive. My suggestion was, when you get to the point of feeling a little tired, take the boat ride. You can sit there, relax, get your second wind, and still be doing some sightseeing.

Leslie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 06:54:34 am »
I hadn't been in Paris in a while before we went there last year. What struck me was that so many waiters, hotel personel all insisted on speaking English to us! And we can speak French!! It was almost as if to make a point.

My English is better than my French, so I didn't mind too much...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 08:35:01 am »
I spent a few hours in a French train station once. I had to ask a question at the information desk. Yay! Finally an opportunity to use my high school/college French. So I asked the question in my halting French. The woman behind the counter rolled her eyes and responded in English.  :laugh:

But later, I had to ask another question. I tried again, this time with a different railroad employee. "Est-ce que ce le train à Prague?" ("Is this the train to Prague?") "Oui," he said. Success!!  :D

Offline opinionista

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 12:34:57 pm »
Yes, I agree with that. Get your body onto local time the minute you arrive. My suggestion was, when you get to the point of feeling a little tired, take the boat ride. You can sit there, relax, get your second wind, and still be doing some sightseeing.

Leslie

Taking naps it is also a good idea. Helps you get through the day.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 12:47:24 pm »
Taking naps it is also a good idea. Helps you get through the day.

Now that's speakin' Spanish!  THe most civilized way to live.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 12:48:14 pm »

"Est-ce que ce le train à Prague?" ("Is this the train to Prague?") "Oui," he said. Success!!  :D

I've always wanted to go to Prague.  THose pictures I've seen of the roofs of Prague are amazing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 03:29:46 pm »

I've always wanted to go to Prague.  THose pictures I've seen of the roofs of Prague are amazing.

I LOVED Prague, as well as the little towns in surrounding countryside. It was all very fairy-talish. Maybe we can hold the Brokeback BBQ 2011 there!  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 04:38:19 pm »
Maybe we can hold the Brokeback BBQ 2011 there!  ;D

I love people who think ahead and do have visions  ;D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 06:07:13 am »
I LOVED Prague, as well as the little towns in surrounding countryside. It was all very fairy-talish. Maybe we can hold the Brokeback BBQ 2011 there!  ;D

2008 - Wyoming
2009 - Paris
2010 - ?
2011 - Prague
2012 - ?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 06:25:14 am »
Don't forget 2006, London, and 2007, Amersfoort, Holland.

Okay, so they weren't barbecues but they were get togethers!

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 06:29:20 am »
I thought we were just listing the future!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 06:33:32 am »
Ha ha, yes, I guess so Clarissa!

Oh well, it's early here...hey, it's even earlier for you! Another all nighter?

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 06:36:38 am »
Ha ha, yes, I guess so Clarissa!

Oh well, it's early here...hey, it's even earlier for you! Another all nighter?

L

I have been going to bed really late lately.  It isn't working so well.  Still - it hasn't impaired my sense of what's past and what's future!  ;)

So where should we go in 2010?  Gotta get planning.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 06:44:52 am »

I have been going to bed really late lately.  It isn't working so well.  Still - it hasn't impaired my sense of what's past and what's future!  ;)

So where should we go in 2010?  Gotta get planning.

Mt. Katadhin, Maine?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 08:05:39 am »
Mt. Katadhin, Maine?

Irvine, Scotland... you track down Ellery's ancestors!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 08:10:03 am »
Irvine, Scotland... you track down Ellery's ancestors!

Yes! Wonderful choice, Kelda....

Del, sorry for hijacking your thread here. I guess we should give you some more Paris sightseeing tips. Let's see...every shop you go into, they will say "Bonjour madame" to you. Make sure to reply "Bonjour" or "Bonjour madame" (for a woman). It is considered incredibly rude not to reply.

L

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 10:20:41 pm »
Yes! Wonderful choice, Kelda....

Del, sorry for hijacking your thread here. I guess we should give you some more Paris sightseeing tips. Let's see...every shop you go into, they will say "Bonjour madame" to you. Make sure to reply "Bonjour" or "Bonjour madame" (for a woman). It is considered incredibly rude not to reply.

L

No problem.  :)

Along with having to take my own non-sugar sweetner what else do I have to know about cafes?

Do you wait to be seated or seat yourself and they come to you?  Do you pay at the table or at the bar or up front at the door?

I've read not to ask for a "menu" as I'll get a 3 course meal with a set price, but to ask for "a la carte".  Is that correct?

MOST IMPORTANT!!

Since I am of Hispanic descent and look vaguely Hawaiian/Turkish/Eastern Indian, I've been yanked out of line at Customs before and searched (to my sister's grand amusement), and I read that French policemen have every right to stop you in the street and ask for your ID - BUT I've also read not to show anyone my ID.

??? ???

If a policeman stops me should I ask for his ID?  And if so, how do I do that?

My brother traveled a lot in Europe.  With his handle-bar Texas mustache, he looks vaguely Turkish as well and with all the immigrant problems some countries in Europe were having he got a lot of cold shoulders.  I kind of expect the same.

What do you think?

injest

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 11:17:50 pm »
I think I am staying HOME!!!

:o :o

sounds scary out there!!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 06:36:38 am »
Along with having to take my own non-sugar sweetner what else do I have to know about cafes? I don't think you have to take your own sweetner. There are here. I don't know the brand in France but I could find out what are the brands here and let you know. Commercial products are about the same in France and Spain. You will not have any trouble finding sweetners in restaurants. You'll also be able to find lactose free milk, soy milk and stuff like that in supermarkets.

Do you wait to be seated or seat yourself and they come to you?  Do you pay at the table or at the bar or up front at the door?
In some places you do in others you don't.

I've read not to ask for a "menu" as I'll get a 3 course meal with a set price, but to ask for "a la carte".  Is that correct?
Yes, menu is a three course meal with a set price. Ask for La carte.

Since I am of Hispanic descent and look vaguely Hawaiian/Turkish/Eastern Indian, I've been yanked out of line at Customs before and searched (to my sister's grand amusement), and I read that French policemen have every right to stop you in the street and ask for your ID - BUT I've also read not to show anyone my ID.

In some european countries all citizens must carry an ID. So if they stop you is not because of the way you look but because it is the law. I'm not sure if this is the case in France, but it is in Spain. Judging by your description of the way you look I can say we may look alike. However, I've never had any problem in France or in Spain with my looks, nor was I considered suspect or anything. That doesn't happen here. I had been in Paris and all over the south of France and not once a police asked my for my ID. But if you are indeed asked, you have to show it. You'll be considered suspicious if you refuse. You also have to show your ID when you check into your hotel.

If a policeman stops me should I ask for his ID?  And if so, how do I do that?
Police officers are supposed to wear uniforms, so it may not be necessary to ask for an ID. The thing is that if you find yourself in a situation in which you have to deal with the police, the best thing to do is act normal. If you get scared and refuse to show your ID then you could be in trouble.

Anyway, try not to be afraid or paranoid. That's the worse thing you can do. Just relax and enjoy yourself. In Paris they know they are a bunch of tourists from all over the world and there's more tolerance than you think. Don't worry about it. What you should do is put all your money in your pocket not in your bag. If you carry a bag, don't leave it unattended not even when you are walking or standing. There are pickpockets.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 07:11:44 am by opinionista »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 07:06:08 am »
Hi Delalluvia, I LOVE that you are asking the questions you have.  I know I always have a few things that, til I know the answers, I sort of worry about before a trip.  I can't remember what my BBQ concerns were, Pre-BBQ, but I had them and asked.

Just one thing about "menu" and "carte." 

"A la carte" is originally a French term that now gets used in America with a certain meaning.  The thing you want to ask for in a restaurant in France, that tells you what they are serving, is simply "la carte."   

One thing I've seen much more in France than here in the US is a daily menu, that changes with whatever is actually fresh, not standardized crap waiting to be thawed out in the microwave whenever someone orders it.  So when you ask for "la carte," you may get a sheet of paper with a just few things listed on it.  That's probably good.  :)  Even places like train stations often have fresh, real food.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 08:09:18 am »
Dellaluvia,

Keep in mind that as an American, your ID will be your passport. You will show it alot....checking in to the hotel, if you buy things and want to get the tax back (at the airport), you'll need to show it for that. I think I even had to show it when using my credit card sometimes. So...get a good wallet or passport holder and keep your passport with you at all times. Personally, I think the passport holders that you wear under your shirt are a bit of overkill. I have a nice one that I bought  from Magellan's. It has a slot for my passport, spaces for foreign currency and American, etc. I have a "healthy back bag" from LL Bean that I think is the BEST for traveling. It has lots of room and the zipper is next to your body which is good for the safety pickpocket problem.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Wallets?Args=&page_number=1 for travel wallets and other good travel tips.

Leslie

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 08:35:53 am by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 08:34:45 am »
Credit Cards and Money

Personally, I don't use traveler's checks. ATMs are everywhere. Using your ATM card, you will get the best exchange rate available at that moment. Before you leave, however, check with your bank about fees for using your card. I know there are some banks and credit unions that don't charge anything but my bank (Bank of America) charges $5 a hit. However, it still may be less than the fees you get charged for exchanging actual dollars or traveler's checks.

I actually broke my own rule back in March when I went to Belgium and brought cash to exchange. I didn't have time to exchange at the airport. Fabienne took me to a bank and guess what? They have rules that you can't exchange money unless you have an account! Fabienne had to take me to a Travelex in Brussels and I eventually did get my money but I learned my lesson...use the ATM.

Credit cards: they take them everywhere and once again, using a card you'll get the best exchange (as opposed to paying for a purchase with a traveler's check). Credit card companies charge 1% to 3% transaction fees, so call your card company to find out what they charge. I use my Target Visa when traveling...it is a 1% card.

Before you leave on your trip, call the card company (again) and tell them the dates of your travel and where you will be going. That way, they won't put a hold on your card when foreign charges start to hit.

Leslie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2007, 10:54:49 am »
Del, have you bought any guidebook? I would recommend getting one by Rick Steves. People make fun of Rick Steves because he's kind of like a dorky suburban dad, not particularly hip or cool, and also because he's so ubiquitous. (When I was in Italy a couple of years ago, I kept seeing people everywhere wandering around reading their Rick Steves Italy guidebooks.) And I wouldn't use a Rick Steves book to really learn in depth about the culture or history of a place.

But for all the little concerns like, what do I do when I go into a restaurant, and what happens if someone asks for my ID, and what hours is this museum open, and should I make reservations, and is it better to use a train or bus to get from here to there, and I have only two days to spend in X city so what are the most important things to see, and ... well, all that practical traveler stuff, he is great.

I don't know if he'd directly address the artificial sweetener issue, but he probably covers just about everything else. The friend I went to Italy with used his book to find our hotels and plan a lot of our activities, and he never let us down!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2007, 01:41:28 pm »
ineedcrayons, Rick Steves is actually one of my minor heroes, and a local boy here in Seattle.  And to my surprise, a few years ago I discovered that dorky as he is, he is very involved in the movement to get marijuana decriminalized in the United States.  http://www.ricksteves.com/about/pressroom/activism/marijuana.htm

Delalluvia, he has a great website, full of good info.  Remember that packing list for women that people were posting about, pre-BBQ?  It was from his website.  http://www.ricksteves.com/

And Leslie, I got one of these bags about two months ago, right before the trip to Colorado.  I use it every day.  There's a pocket for each of the things I carry: wallet, keys, Palm, cell phone, sunglasses, reading glasses, pen, comb, plus three other pockets for miscellaneous other stuff.  And all those pockets line the inner walls of the bag, so when you unzip down it vertically, there is a surprisingly roomy open cavity where I keep: a pint bottle of water, an actual whole change of clothes for my pre-schooler, a paperback novel.  I discovered while travelling in Colorado, that I could even roll my rain jacket up tightly and fit it in there.  ANd this thing is not a large bag.  In fact it's their size SMALL!  The one I got is an aubergine-colored micro-suede that is just beautful.  I am in love with this bag.  Because I got it right before the BBQ, some of the people on that trip were forced to had the opportunity to get a tour of the inside of this amazing bag.  Plus it works well either hanging off one shoulder (shoulder bag style), or strapped across my back (messenger bag style).  I cannot get over what a good thing this is.  I normally am pretty frugal in the purse/bag dept, so gulped at paying over $50 for it, but it was so competely worth it.  I am so in love with this bag that I feel like we are even more kindred spirits now, knowing you're into them too.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2007, 02:00:33 pm »
ineedcrayons, Rick Steves is actually one of my minor heroes, and a local boy here in Seattle.  And to my surprise, a few years ago I discovered that dorky as he is, he is very involved in the movement to get marijuana decriminalized in the United States.  http://www.ricksteves.com/about/pressroom/activism/marijuana.htm

Thanks for sharing that, Elle! I will never call Rick Steves dorky again. As someone who also supports having marijuana decriminalized, I now see him in a new light. When I use his travel books, I will no longer feel the need to hide them inside a Rough Guide or Lonely Planet!  :laugh:

I normally am pretty frugal in the purse/bag dept, so gulped at paying over $50 for it,

Completely OT, but that is my gulping point, too. I'm always astounded when I see, say, a segment on the Today Show about fashionable new spring bags, and and they'll talk about a $250 bag as being very affordable, and a $700 bag as being a little pricey but so cute it's worth it.

Who actually buys that stuff?! Never mind, don't answer.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2007, 02:04:13 pm »
Del, have you bought any guidebook?

Yes, I have 3 including a Phrase Book and Dictionary (one guide book and the phrase book are from Rick Steves :)  I have a picture of myself standing outside of the classic red phonebooths in London and I'm holding a Rick Steves travel book).

I used my ATM card in London to pay for things and get cash and I expect to do the same in Paris since I've read that the currency exchange is better through the ATM banks.  I had no problem before.  And thanks for the reminder Leslie to call my bank and let them know I'd be out of the country.  Almost forgot about that.

I did use one of those money belt things in London to carry valuable jewelry, money, my IDs and ATM card because I didn't want to leave those in the hotel - we didn't exactly stay in a 3 star hotel, you know?  And some of the 1-2 star hotels we looked into in Paris have stories from tourists who talk about money and jewelry stolen from their hotel rooms, or finding the concierge in their room when they came back in.  But the belt thing was awkward, so I got a neck thing this time.  And I carried a Coach backpack to London

but I didn't carry anything of real value in it, just maps, my glasses/sunglasses, guidebooks and home addresses of people in the states, aspirin, that kind of thing, so if any thief tried to pick it through the back pockets, all they would find would be makeup and kleenex.

Thanks for the la carte thing guys!

Elle, I've never traveled where I didn't know the language, so that's why I'm getting myself all worked up about the trip and asking a zillion questions.  In London, we were sitting in the wrong section of the train out to Glastonbury and we barely understood the accent of the steward when he came to ask us to move and he was speaking English!  I can just imagine myself in the same situation in France, standing there like a dummy because I've no clue what I'm being told.

opinionista

Thanks, for all the advice.  We're going to be mostly eating in cafes where it's cheap-er, so I was just wondering whether we wait to be seated or just sit down and who/where to pay.

As for the cops, I was just worried some plainclothes security guy or cop at a checkpoint - do they have those? - would ask for my ID and I wouldn't know who he was.  OK, despite the terrorist bombing in London the year we went, there wasn't a lot of fear in the city, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed about Paris.  I hope Paris is a open minded in the big city as was London, but it was in Madrid and Germany that my brother got nasty looks from people, so one never knows.

Offline delalluvia

Just a frugal note
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2007, 02:11:08 pm »
For you frugal travelers - I am one, too - so you guys don't think I'm buying designer everything.  Yes, Coach backpacks are pricey, but I bought mine used and on e-bay so I got quite a steal, paying much less than $100 and it's made out of soft, lightweight, weather-resistant leather and will probably last forever. 

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2007, 02:22:54 pm »
Delalluvia, he has a great website, full of good info.  Remember that packing list for women that people were posting about, pre-BBQ?  It was from his website.  http://www.ricksteves.com/

Thanks, I went to go look.  Take/buy pants whose lower legs zip off and become shorts?!?!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love Rick Steves, I tape all his shows and watch them religiously, I buy his books, but he always looks and dresses like a tourist.  He never blends in and all my books say to try to blend in with the denizens of Paris and never never wear shorts or sneakers.

I am going to pick some silk under clothes to wear, they do layer great and the weather in Paris I think is going to be similar to London, chilly at night and warm-ish during the day with constant chance of rain. 

He had good advice on the shoes, though.  Yes, they are very worth the money, your feet feel wonderful after a day in them.  I know, I  used to buy them for work.  But I found in London that buying cushioned athletic insoles and putting them in my regular shoes worked just fine too and were much cheaper.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 08:47:00 pm by delalluvia »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2007, 02:30:26 pm »
Rick Steves is good. I also really really like the Lonely Planet series of guidebooks. I have found more interesting, out of the way places to see using those books..."The Industrial Knitting Museum" outside Bergen; the Leprosy Museum in Oslo; the pass where the Japanese planes flew through as they came in for their attack on Pearl Harbor. Everyone goes to the Pearl Harbor Memorial, no one goes up the mountain to the pass, which actually has a very interesting history and memorial.

And I am very frugal...I have a black, microfiber healthy back bag which cost $59 new. I use it every single day and have for four years now, and the thing still looks brand new.

L

Offline opinionista

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2007, 02:48:38 pm »
opinionista

Thanks, for all the advice.  We're going to be mostly eating in cafes where it's cheap-er, so I was just wondering whether we wait to be seated or just sit down and who/where to pay.

As for the cops, I was just worried some plainclothes security guy or cop at a checkpoint - do they have those? - would ask for my ID and I wouldn't know who he was.  OK, despite the terrorist bombing in London the year we went, there wasn't a lot of fear in the city, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed about Paris.  I hope Paris is a open minded in the big city as was London, but it was in Madrid and Germany that my brother got nasty looks from people, so one never knows.

You're welcome. I live in Madrid, and I've never gotten any nasty look from the locals or the cops because of my looks or skin color. But it doesn't surprise me. In Madrid cops are nasty with men in general, but they tend to leave women alone. If they find you pretty, some will blatantly flirt with you. I'm not sure if in Paris the situation is the same. But in any case if a plainclothes stops you, which I seriously doubt, the first thing they do is show their badge. At least in Spain plainclothes rarely interact with the people, unless they see you doing something illegal. I don't think they can afford to start asking for IDs because everyone will soon know they're cops. They don't even get involved when they see a fight or something, they call a uniform. (I saw it once, I knew it as a plainclothes because he showed his badge to the uniform) Plainclothes in Spain mostly to keep an eye on the ones who sell pirate Cd's and stuff like that. I guess in France the situation is the same.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:53:46 pm by opinionista »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2007, 04:09:41 pm »
I am going to pick some silk under clothes to wear, they do layer great and the weather in Paris I think is going to be similar to London, chilly at night and warm-ish during the day with constant chance of rain.

This is a great idea. I took silk underclothes to Italy -- a long-sleeved shirt, a tank top and even long pants -- from Winter Silks http://www.wintersilks.com/products.aspx?BRANCH=1~. It was end of March/early April, so the days were usually 60ish and the nights were cooler. I could probably have lived without the pants, but the shirts were invaluable -- I still wear them frequently to this day. They're good for layering because they're slippery, they look good under something lower cut, they add considerable warmth, and they take up next to no space and weigh next to nothing. I think I probably wore them at the BBQ, as a matter of fact.

And I am very frugal...I have a black, microfiber healthy back bag which cost $59 new. I use it every single day and have for four years now, and the thing still looks brand new.

I bought my first microfiber purse maybe 10 or 12 years ago and vowed never to get a leather one again. So far haven't broken the vow (though it has gotten harder -- microfiber was more in style at that time than it is now). Microfiber is MUCH lighter than leather, it wears well, and as a bonus it wins the approval of my vegetarian son.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 10:55:05 pm »
OK, now I feel really really bad.  :(

For some reason, my sister always leaves it up to me to book airline reservations.

I wish she wouldn't.  I'm terrified of flying and so am extremely superstitious about that sort of thing and want to leave it up to the Fates to put me in a seat and on a particular flight.  Instead she makes me take an active part in my own destiny.   :o

She has the credit card.  Don't know why she makes me do this.  (hmmm, maybe she's superstitious, too  ???) Anyway, another bad reason to let me make reservations is that due to my fear of flying, I don't fly if I can't help it, so I don't know my way around reading the screens about flights and all the dinky little details about how to reserve seats make me nervous and anxious.

Anyway, yesterday I found a non-stop, food included, direct from Texas to Paris, flight at an amazing price roundtrip of $582 (without taxes).  I called my sister and she said go ahead and book it.  However, I only had enough immediate funds to pay for one ticket, so I bought mine and then transferred funds from one bank account to another so I could afford to buy her ticket.  But that's an overnight transaction.  I told her this.

Again, I'm nervous, unfamiliar with the screens, the small print is like a wall that my eyes glaze over and I just buy my ticket.

Today, my sister drops off the cash so I can book her a ticket, and when I go to the website, the price has gone up nearly $300 for the same flight one way.  Needless to say, my sister's upset and can no longer afford the same flight.  I had to book her on another flight that has a 1.5 hour layover, that's more expensive but she still arrives in Paris before I do.

Downside is we have to travel separately and our departure times are hours apart, so we either have to go to the airport separately or we arrive at the airport together and one of us has to hang around for about 3 hours.

Upside is that we're traveling separately.

WORSE part is...as I was buying her ticket today, I realized that the small print at the bottom of the screen told me I could have reserved a seat at the price quoted without paying for it for 24 hours.  She's going to end up paying $200 more than me because I was too rattled yesterday to notice this.  :( :( :-\  I feel really really bad... 

injest

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 11:10:49 pm »
Del..don't do that to yourself! You did the best you could.

You are under a lot of stress planning this, don't let the little hiccups along the way put a damper on it. Try to let it go...

I know it is hard but you are carrying a lot of the burden here and it is not fair. Be kind to yourself. You can't control everything...and your sister left it to you...it is as much her fault as yours.  :-\

:-*

{{Del}}

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2007, 03:46:27 am »
OK, now I feel really really bad.  :(

For some reason, my sister always leaves it up to me to book airline reservations.

I wish she wouldn't.  I'm terrified of flying and so am extremely superstitious about that sort of thing and want to leave it up to the Fates to put me in a seat and on a particular flight.  Instead she makes me take an active part in my own destiny.   :o

She has the credit card.  Don't know why she makes me do this.  (hmmm, maybe she's superstitious, too  ???) Anyway, another bad reason to let me make reservations is that due to my fear of flying, I don't fly if I can't help it, so I don't know my way around reading the screens about flights and all the dinky little details about how to reserve seats make me nervous and anxious.

Anyway, yesterday I found a non-stop, food included, direct from Texas to Paris, flight at an amazing price roundtrip of $582 (without taxes).  I called my sister and she said go ahead and book it.  However, I only had enough immediate funds to pay for one ticket, so I bought mine and then transferred funds from one bank account to another so I could afford to buy her ticket.  But that's an overnight transaction.  I told her this.

Again, I'm nervous, unfamiliar with the screens, the small print is like a wall that my eyes glaze over and I just buy my ticket.

Today, my sister drops off the cash so I can book her a ticket, and when I go to the website, the price has gone up nearly $300 for the same flight one way.  Needless to say, my sister's upset and can no longer afford the same flight.  I had to book her on another flight that has a 1.5 hour layover, that's more expensive but she still arrives in Paris before I do.

Downside is we have to travel separately and our departure times are hours apart, so we either have to go to the airport separately or we arrive at the airport together and one of us has to hang around for about 3 hours.

Upside is that we're traveling separately.

WORSE part is...as I was buying her ticket today, I realized that the small print at the bottom of the screen told me I could have reserved a seat at the price quoted without paying for it for 24 hours.  She's going to end up paying $200 more than me because I was too rattled yesterday to notice this.  :( :( :-\  I feel really really bad... 

When you see a price like that though, you do just jump at it don't you... no time to check the small print like that! It's her perfect holiday so she should have been looking at the flights really... How about he way back? will you also be travelling sperately?

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2007, 07:54:18 am »
When you see a price like that though, you do just jump at it don't you... no time to check the small print like that! It's her perfect holiday so she should have been looking at the flights really... How about he way back? will you also be travelling sperately?

Thanks Jess and Kelda, I'm trying not to feel so kick-myself about it.  Yes, we will be traveling separately there and back.  She leaves at 1 pm and I leave at 5 pm to Paris, I leave at noon and she leaves at 4 pm back home.  She has a layover on the way home, I fly straight back.  That's going to be a pain in trying to plan the logistics of how each of us will get to the airport. 

Offline opinionista

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2007, 09:54:51 am »
Del, don't feel guilty for something you can't help. I don't think it was really your fault. Airlines do that. One minute plane tickets are cheap and the next they're over the top. It happens all the time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:08:55 am by opinionista »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007, 01:35:22 pm »
Here's something else that's worth trying, Del.

Clear your cookies, set your browser not to accept cookies, then go back to the website and do a whole new search for flights. It's possible you'll see a lower price.

A friend of mine tipped me off to this when we were both buying tickets to Italy. It worked for me then, and I've since had it happen several more times. I've read about it, too. Apparently the airlines figure that if you're going to check a flight twice it shows you're really interested, so they can safely raise the price and still get your business. So they put a cookie in your computer on your first visit, which alerts them when you go back.

But if the cookie is gone, they'll think you're a whole new potential customer and may give you a better price.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2007, 01:44:27 pm »

Clear your cookies, set your browser not to accept cookies, then go back to the website and do a whole new search for flights. It's possible you'll see a lower price.

A friend of mine tipped me off to this when we were both buying tickets to Italy. It worked for me then, and I've since had it happen several more times. I've read about it, too. Apparently the airlines figure that if you're going to check a flight twice it shows you're really interested, so they can safely raise the price and still get your business. So they put a cookie in your computer on your first visit, which alerts them when you go back.

But if the cookie is gone, they'll think you're a whole new potential customer and may give you a better price.

Thats a TOTAL tip! We should start a money savers thread with this one!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2007, 08:59:21 pm »

The bastards!!!!   Grrrrrrrrrrrr.  >:(  Damn sneaky of them.  Thanks for this major tipoff, crayon, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Del, don't feel guilty for something you can't help. I don't think it was really your fault. Airlines do that. One minute plane tickets are cheap and the next they're over the top. It happens all the time.

Thanks opinionista, I'm trying to get it in my head that this is an auspicious little hiccup as Jess says.  I don't like to travel together.  If something happened...well, those left behind would not be able to deal with our estates very well.  So I feel much better if we're traveling separately.  Increases the odds, you see.  This traveling separately also happened last time, which is also auspicious as our trips then were uneventful.  So now I'm trying to see it as a positive thing.  Course, my sister may not think so.  But, she wanted me to do the ticketbuying for her.  I never claimed to be any good at it.   :P

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2007, 09:39:40 pm »
The cookie thing - is that legal for them to up the price like that?  Looking back over the recent past, I've had that experience, "Hey!  It was lower a few minutes ago!"  Like del said, grrrr.  Thanks Katherine.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2007, 09:21:25 pm »
I am back from Paris and it was a great trip.  I'm going to post my observations and thoughts of my trip in serial format.  Some comments will be short and to the point, others much longer.  I hope you guys don't mind.  :)

I will start with the first, foremost and all important part of any trip I take overseas.  I cannot go anywhere without it and am on my knees thanking the gods for its invention:

For those of you who don't know, I'm petrified of flying.  Absolutely terrified.  I was sick to my stomach and had difficulty sleeping in the days leading up to my flight.  To add to my horror, my doctor was very conservative in prescribing the meds for my trip.  Assuming 1 was good for 6 hours, she only prescribed four .25 mg pills for my entire trip.  The flight was listed to last 11 hours one way.

Considering on a trip taken years ago, I gobbled 4 pills in one six hour period and even that had little affect on my fear when flying, I was in a panic about how I was going to cope when the pill wore off mid-flight and I was paralyzed with the fact that there was nothing below my feet but 6 miles of empty air.

My friend came to the rescue and helped me out in that particular.

You people who are used to flying will laugh at me for my dramatics.  The flights there and back - non-stop - were smooth and uneventful.  Even when we ran into storms over the Shenadoah Valley area, lightning and black clouds outside, there was next to no turbulence. 

Yes, .50 mg of Xanax will knock you on your ass.  I'm glad I didn't take the entire thing.  Perhaps 75% of it.  But it worked and help calm me.  I sat there, breathing shallowly the entire flight, reading one book after another.

However, I couldn't hold my water all the way to Paris and had to get up and stagger to the bathroom 1 hour out of Paris. It felt like I was walking on a beam above an abyss, the plane had that little substance to me.  I certainly managed to hold my water on my way back to Dallas.

Xanax works, so does denial.  My sister managed to snatch standby on our flight back and a few hours out of Dallas, she walked by, wrapped in a blanket and asked, "How are you doing?"

"Pretty good.  I'm in serious denial.  Right now, I'm imagining I'm on a big bus and it rattles every now and then when we hit a patch of bumpy road."

This dialogue must have amused the very-good-looking-Middle-Eastern-married-with-children-who-works-for-American- Airlines-and-though-based-in-Paris-was-headed-to-a-meeting-in-Dallas-man sitting next to me.  A few minutes later, he switched off his laptop and offered to share a packet of cookies with me.  We had a nice talk all the way back to Dallas.

Our last words were when the plane hit the runway with bone-jolting bump:

Him:  Is that a cowboy landing?
Me:  Welcome to Texas, yeehaw.

Post scriptum

For those of you traveling in the future, security at the airport on the way to Paris was laughable.  The bored looking security guard looked at my carryon and asked "Do you have any liquids or gels in there?"

"Nope."

"OK."  He waved me on without so much as looking in my carryon.

Security at Charles DeGaulle leaving the country was pretty strict.  I was yanked out of line and searched to the amusement of my sister who yet again passed through security unscathed.

"You just look dangerous."

I didn't care.  Made me feel safer.   One lady who was absent-minded enough to have left Swiss Army knives she had bought for her nephews in her carryon was dragged out of line and interrogated in a small room by 5 members of security.  She was nearly in tears as she sat next to me waiting for our flight.

However, the staff at Chas. DeGaulle was otherwise very polite and professional.  One lady, as she took my passport was looking into her computer to prep my boarding pass and in her heavy accent said:

Her:  I zee you have chosen a seet, I can try to get you a better seet, but thees flight is fieeling up quickly...
Me:  No, no, that's OK.  I don't like flying.  I chose the middle seat in the middle section over the wing for a reason.
Her [smiling and sliding my passport and boarding pass back to me}:  Then I will do nothing.
Me:  Merci
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:12:04 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2007, 01:14:11 am »
planes rattle????

jeez.

I can't imagine getting on one...

I am glad you had a good trip, Del...looking forward to the next installment!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2007, 05:17:05 am »
Even the plane ride sounds exciting Del.. glad you go through it both ways!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2007, 05:38:17 am »
Hey Del, I'm happy you're back.  :D
I think you're very brave to take such a long flight at all. Ususally I'm not afraid of flying, but on my way to Denver and back this year, we had some hard turbulences. Then I was afraid. But to imagine to have this fear for so many hours... uh, no thanks. I don't know if I were brave enough to go on a plane at all if I had fear of flying.

Looking forward to your Paris experiences  :).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2007, 03:41:28 pm »
One lady who was absent-minded enough to have left Swiss Army knives she had bought for her nephews in her carryon was dragged out of line and interrogated in a small room by 5 members of security.  She was nearly in tears as she sat next to me waiting for our flight.

That would be me! Or no, wait, that WAS me. While traveling last May, I bought two little kid tool kits for my sons -- tiny orange-plastic boxes with flashlights and compasses ... and those little leatherman multiple-tool gadgets. And just like the absent-minded lady on your plane, I was absent-minded enough to put them in my carryon. I got pulled aside in the security line. Luckily for me, it wasn't five members of security in a little room but a single grandfatherly security guy at a table off to the side. I was running late for my plane, so it wasn't possible to mail them; I would have to just throw them away. So then, I don't know if it was the stress or the fact that these were gifts for my sons or what, but -- and this is really out of character for me! -- I started crying. And then something really weird happened.

He let me keep them in my bag!

So remember that, terrorists: if you cry convincingly enough and say they're for your sons, there's at least one really nice security guard out there who will let you through with your weapons.

injest

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2007, 04:43:16 pm »
That would be me! Or no, wait, that WAS me. While traveling last May, I bought two little kid tool kits for my sons -- tiny orange-plastic boxes with flashlights and compasses ... and those little leatherman multiple-tool gadgets. And just like the absent-minded lady on your plane, I was absent-minded enough to put them in my carryon. I got pulled aside in the security line. Luckily for me, it wasn't five members of security in a little room but a single grandfatherly security guy at a table off to the side. I was running late for my plane, so it wasn't possible to mail them; I would have to just throw them away. So then, I don't know if it was the stress or the fact that these were gifts for my sons or what, but -- and this is really out of character for me! -- I started crying. And then something really weird happened.

He let me keep them in my bag!

So remember that, terrorists: if you cry convincingly enough and say they're for your sons, there's at least one really nice security guard out there who will let you through with your weapons.

oh great!!

now you have given the terrorists an opening! They are probably running out right now to buy toy tool kits....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the fall of western civilization is YOUR fault, Katherine!

:laugh: ;) ;)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2007, 05:10:29 pm »
the fall of western civilization is YOUR fault, Katherine!

I always feared it would be.  ::)

injest

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2007, 09:19:32 pm »

LOL!

{{{Katherine}}}

We still love you even if you DO end civilization!!

Here!! I brought you some....

(I still love to color...it is VERY relaxing..)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2007, 09:35:34 pm »

:laugh::laugh:

Delalluvia, I'm looking forward to more!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2007, 11:44:27 pm »
Choosing a good companion for travel is something else that is very important for a memorable trip.

Otherwise you remember the trip for all the wrong reasons.   :P

It's nice to have someone along who is understanding, enthusiastic, able to quickly adapt and not get rattled easily, someone whose temperment and personality matches or compliments your own.

Unfortunately, I had my sister along for the trip.

Our cry, the whole trip?

"Ah, Paris, the city of love...[snide look] and I'm here with you."

My sister and I are diametrically opposing personalities.  I'm not quite sure where it comes from.

She had not wanted to leave for Paris the week I did, not wanting to miss her daughter's birthday as she did for our London trip.  I was not for this, as I reminded her that France was not Texas.  We could not expect nice or warm weather until November.

Needless to say, this argument I lost.  We stayed an extra week in town before we left for France.

*sigh*

Of course, the week I wanted to be in Paris?  Beautiful, clear, warm weather.

The week we actually spent in Paris?  The 2nd day we were there, it turned cold and started to rain and rained every single day we were there, except for the day before we left.  >:( >:(

This put the kibosh on any trips to the wine country or possibly Normandy.  Standing out in the cold and rain and mud was not my idea of a good time in the country so we never left the city.

My sister and I were just at odds the entire time. 

The 2nd day in Paris, I came down with sinus infection and was sick most the trip.  Luckily it wasn't a cold cold or the flu otherwise a fever would have kept me in bed and really ruined my trip.  Instead, I was just stuffy, head full of gunk, lots of draining and no real sleep.  Made for fun at the local Pharmacie, trying to figure out how to ask for sinus medication.

For those of you who don't know, my sister is morbidly obese.  As a result, she is hot most of the time, out of shape and her weight puts a lot of pressure on her joints.

So, 2nd night in Paris, I'm sick, the weather has turned, I'm chilled, but I finally figure out how to turn up the heat in our room 5 degrees.  I settle into bed and just as I'm warming up, my sister walks in from the bathroom and says, "Whoo!  It's hot in here." and promptly goes and turns the heat off.

It was hopeless.  If I wanted the heat up, she wanted it off, if I wanted the windows closed, she wanted them open, if I wanted to eat, she wasn't hungry, if I wanted to rush to the next sight, she was tired and wanted to go back to the hotel.

Of course, I had no choice but to go along with her because she did absolutely nothing to prepare for the trip.  She bought no maps, no books, nothing, nada, zilch.  Which means she left it to me to buy all this.  Which is fine, until we were at odds on a street corner, she wanting to go back to the hotel for her 'afternoon nap' and me wanting to go to the next site across town, I had the map and needed it to get where I was going.  She had nothing and couldn't even get back to the hotel without a map.   ::)

I have dreams of someday taking a trip with someone who appreciates that when I recommend they exercise and lose weight for a trip because said destination is a walking town, will heed my words and actually do something so they can keep up, rather than drag the other person down with them to their level of inability.

The hotel was very nice for the price.  It was very convenient to a Metro station, but not a metro station we used with any regularity.  The station we used most often was a tidy little walk away.  The RER/Metro stations of St. Michel/Notre Dame:

However, the hotel was still nice.

Rick Steves in his travel book described the proprietor of our hotel as'unsmiling'.  I was worried he was going to be stereotypical rude Frenchman.  Perhaps he was to Rick Steves.  To me, he smiled a lot, talked a lot and was a flirt.  He spoke English well, and very much enjoyed my attempts at French.

View from our hotel, right center and left:

Right next to it was a cafe on one side and a diner on the other called I kid you not "An American Diner in Paris" that served diner food.

The price of food in Paris was outrageous.  One could not eat a meal in a cafe for less than $23 American.  A Coke Lite in such a cafe was $6.50 American.  By the end of the trip I was back to eating candybars and sodas from the local bodegas (I'm not sure what they call them in French) or supermarches or hot dogs from the local delis (they're orange colored for some reason).  Just as well, almost every French food I put in my mouth made me ill.  A friend of my sister's who is a French cop took us out one night to a 'real' French restaurant.  I ate snails, duck, tarte tatin and 1/2 bottle of wine.  Never got sick at all.  Go figure. 

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2007, 11:54:09 pm »
The pics are really cool.  lucky you, you got to travel there!  Thats awesome del

injest

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2007, 12:07:14 am »
Del, I knew you could express yourself very well...but didn't realize how good a writer you are...very funny and clear...I enjoy reading!!

you are a saint for not loosing your temper... :laugh: ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2007, 07:05:58 am »
:)  I'm thinking of my sister now, and differences we've had while traveling.

I remember you having concern about food allergies before you left. 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2007, 07:34:40 am »
The 2 sayings

blood is thiker than water and you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family are both tottally true but totally at odds at the same time.

I love my sister very much but I swear most of the time I could wring her neck.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2007, 10:03:03 pm »
Stereotypes of the French - my thoughts:

The French do not have a sense of humor about themselves and America.

While eating at "An American Diner in Paris", my sister was speaking with her policeman friend who is a complete Anglophile or Americanphile.  He loves everything about the U.S.   In a kidding tone, she asked if they had French fries in France.

Her:  Oh, but I guess you don't call them "French".
Him:  No, we call them "Freedom" fries!  :laugh:

The French are very fashionable

Not that I saw.  They dress no better or worse than we do here in the States.  Though the following topic does make a difference in the dress of some folks here in the U.S. versus France (Ok, I saw no one in tie-dye, but that's an American thing)  :-\ 

The French are thin

Hmmm, yes they are.  I was there a solid 7 days and saw no one who was heavy.  Every woman I saw of any age was thinner than me, and I'm not a porker by any means.  No man of any age I saw had a gut or was fat.  My sister stood out like a dinosaur.  We crowded onto the Metro at times - there are little fold-down seats if you can't get a regular seat - and at one point a lady wanted to sit next to me.  I asked my sister to scoot over, to make room, but she couldn't.  She was already overflowing her seat and crowding mine.  I ended up practically sitting on my sister's leg so this woman had the room to sit down.  :-\

I know portly French people must exist somewhere, but I never saw any. 

The French are rude

Not that I experienced.  Of course, except for getting lost at one point, we hung out mostly in the touristy areas, most everyone we spoke with, saw or met was very civil and polite and at times, downright nice.  I had people in the Metro turn to ask me something - I must have blended in well {proud grin} - I had a couple of French teenagers tap me on the shoulder and let me know in French that I was unknowingly dragging the tail of my coat on the street.  People smiled at me, were helpful and looked like they enjoyed my attempts at speaking their language.  Maybe now that I think of it, it was my colorful collection of berets that I wore with every outfit that amused them.  ;)

An artsy shot of me in beret walking the Place Des Vosges - the rain is romantic:

injest

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2007, 11:36:20 pm »
cool picture, Del!

I am so glad you had a good time. (and it does seem like you did!)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2007, 02:21:29 pm »
The French are thin

Hmmm, yes they are.  I was there a solid 7 days and saw no one who was heavy.  Every woman I saw of any age was thinner than me, and I'm not a porker by any means.  No man of any age I saw had a gut or was fat.

Same in Italy (where I just was). No overweight people, with the possible exception of a few old nonna (grandma) types. My theory is, it's the exercise. Driving is really tricky, so people walk and use bikes a lot. And everywhere there are stairs. Our apartments in Rome were up three and five flights, no elevator. In Positano, a village built on a cliff, it was 100 steps either up or down just to our place -- the beach was down another 400 or so. I saw elderly people charging up and down flights that left me and my traveling companions, two of whom are triathletes, gasping for breath.

My mother used to take the elevator from the second floor to the first floor of her apartment building, despite the wide grand carpeted staircase. She's not particularly overweight, but she became increasingly immobile and is now in a wheel chair. When my kids want to take the elevator, I tell them that if you don't take the stairs, eventually you can't take the stairs.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2007, 03:01:22 pm »
Same in Italy (where I just was). No overweight people, with the possible exception of a few old nonna (grandma) types. My theory is, it's the exercise.

Good point. But I think there's another reason: portion size.

I've had my first taste of nothern american food when we were in Canada this summer and the portions of food we were served in the restaurants were a lot bigger than what I'm used to. There was always food left in my plate after I was finished.

I kept telling my kids not to overeat!

One thing I really liked though, and it's something we should do over here too, we always got a glass of ice water, as soon as we were seated. That is a very healthy habit.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2007, 03:26:55 pm »
(Ok, I saw no one in tie-dye, but that's an American thing)  :-\ 

What's tie-dye?

An artsy shot of me in beret walking the Place Des Vosges - the rain is romantic:

I like the artsy pic.  :)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2007, 03:34:38 pm »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2007, 03:41:18 pm »
It's this, Chrissi:

Thanks Paul. But my curiosity is still not satisfied  ::)
Is tie-dye simply an American term for batik printing? Or is the batik T only an example and tie-dye means brightly coloured, flashy and somewhat garish?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2007, 03:45:33 pm »

One thing I really liked though, and it's something we should do over here too, we always got a glass of ice water, as soon as we were seated. That is a very healthy habit.

Oh yeah, the ice water. I think it's good service to provide it.

All this comparing reminds me of a thread I wanted to open a while ago, but then forgot about: small, funny, wondrous and other differences between North America and Europe.
Before we hog Della's Paris thread, I'll go and open it now  ;D. BetterMost People will be the place for it.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2007, 03:56:36 pm »

Nice picture. Très chique!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2007, 04:59:36 pm »
Is tie-dye simply an American term for batik printing? Or is the batik T only an example and tie-dye means brightly coloured, flashy and somewhat garish?

Briefly, tie-dye isn't batik, and it isn't always garish. You make it by taking sections of the fabric of something (usually a T-shirt, but not necessarily) and tying them with rubber bands or string. Then you dip the item in one or more colors of dye. The dye doesn't reach the bunched-up places where the rubberbands were, which creates patterns of color on the fabric.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2007, 09:46:29 pm »
It's this, Chrissi:

Die, tie-dye, die.  ;D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2007, 09:47:51 pm »
I like the artsy pic.  :)

Thanks,  :)  it came out like that quite by accident.  I love it.  Note, at the very end of the sidewalk ahead of me, you can barely make out two umbrellas, red and yellow held by two women who were walking ahead of me.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2007, 10:45:03 pm »
Thanks,  :)  it came out like that quite by accident.  I love it.  Note, at the very end of the sidewalk ahead of me, you can barely make out two umbrellas, red and yellow held by two women who were walking ahead of me.

Kind of like spotting a pair of people in the background wearing a black cowboy hat and a white cowboy hat!  :D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2007, 12:44:51 am »
On the "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch" thread Natalie asked me about the problems I have with my lactose-intolerance.  I'm also suspected of having a gluten-intolerance (protein found in grain products).

Now, send me to the land of cheese and bread and you find a tourista rapidly in need of a bathroom on the streets of a foreign city.

I tried to watch everything I ate to avoid this problem, but I was not very successful.

London had public restrooms in every Underground station we were in.  It was easy to find a bathroom when needed.

Paris does not have this convenience.

The Parisiennes have a strange attitude toward the needs of the tourists to find a bathroom.  You go in anywhere and ask if they have a toilet and they will say, "Non."  When you know dang well that they very likely do, if only for their own employees!

The guy at the Internet cafe we went to was amused at my request,

"You ave no idea how many tourists come in here looking for ze bathroom.  Is it zumtheeng we put in di food?"

Hardee har har.

Considering the cafe was down the street from Notre Dame - which has public restrooms with restrictive hours - open 10am-noon, closed noon to 1 pm, then open again 1-4pm - when there are 500 tourists at the place at any hour of the day, I found his attitude to be just this side of bizarre.

Luckily, the only time I was in agony, about to have a terrible accident, we found these:

These were like the best things since sliced baguettes.  Not only are they relatively clean being self-cleaning, they are free and all the ones I used actually had toilet paper!!!  They look like porto-potties, but they are much better, attached to the sewer system so you don't have that lovely smell of plastic and everyone-who-has-come- before-you's personal effluvia asphyxiating you while you are trying to do your business.  It was also a great place to chit-chat with your fellow tourists while standing in line to use one.

Because when you go to places like this:

or this

The number of available bathrooms - especially for women - is a joke.

These European tourist destinations are not for the less than mobile or people with weak bladders.  At Versailles, there were two bathrooms for the great unwashed at the Chateau.  Four - FOUR - stalls for women to a side.  I can't imagine how long the lines were during the summer season.  We were there during the off-season and the crowds were still unbearable.

As an aside - I noticed this at many touristy places - France doesn't seem to have Fire Marshall regulations.  Doesn't matter if there is standing room only, if you have to fight elbow to elbow to see an exhibit or get trampled by herds of tour groups, if you have a ticket, you get in.

We wandered further down the Gardens at Versailles, about half-way down, we took a left turn and found a maze, a cafe and a bathroom.  I suggested we use the bathroom first as we might get lost in the maze and really get in trouble.  The wait for women was 20 minutes.  There were only TWO stalls for women there.

The gardens were magnificent.  I'd seen the movie "Marie Antoinette" before we left and I was more amazed, awed and thrilled by the gardens than the Chateau which itself was exquisite.  It took us 45 minutes to walk to the far corner of the gardens to see an exhibit.  We got there and noticed there are no facilities whatsoever.

My sister was flabbergasted.

Her:  I can't believe there isn't anything here!  What if people had small children with them?  You know little kids have to go the bathroom every 10 minutes.

Me:  Do you see anyone here with small kids?

Believe it or not, there were no families with small children.  Only adults or teenagers.  There were no young families with children, or babies in carriages, no old people in wheelchairs or walkers or little scooters.  You are able to walk and keep yourself to yourself or you obviously don't go to Versailles.

Note:  Weather was blustery and sprinkling when we mounted the Eiffel Tower.  It held off long enough for us to explore and take pictures to our heart's content, then as we wafted back to earth it started to pour rain!!  We did not have our umbrellas.  Blasted with strong winds and cold rainwater, my sister spotted a quartet of plexiglass phonebooths and we outraced some homeless guys to dodge inside one.  There we stayed, hoping this was just a cloudburst, surrounded by others who'd had the same idea.  We all huddled around, including the soldiers with automatic rifles who walk a beat around the Tower!

Sorry, I didn't get a picture.

The weather was also blustery at Versailles.  It was raining as we left Paris to travel to Versailles, but held off the entire time we were there.  I was so happy.  The gardens were definitely one of the highlights of my trip.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:04:47 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2007, 01:00:41 am »
Del, you rock, girl!

Loving your stories. So down to earth but funny and interesting! you have a real knack!

XX

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2007, 01:20:14 am »
Loved the newest installment of your story. You had me laugh heartily. About the bathrooms, I mean  :laugh:.

Thanks for the pics. I never would have pictured you with dark long hair. I don't know how I've pictured you, but I guess with short hair.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2007, 08:40:10 am »
Thanks for the pics. I never would have pictured you with dark long hair. I don't know how I've pictured you, but I guess with short hair.

That's funny! I was just thinking that's exactly how I would have pictured Del. Well, a little different face, maybe (I imagine her as having a nose), but otherwise just like that.

injest

« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2007, 10:32:47 pm »
she looked real happy though!!

;D ;D

come on Del!! We are waiting for our bedtime story!!

Offline delalluvia

Alas children
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2007, 10:49:16 pm »
I shall have to send you to bed bereft.

I'm exhausted, haven't eaten dinner yet and need to get up early tomorrow.

Fear not, I have some topics you can look forward to -

"Moods and Foods"

"Terrorists and Taxis"

injest

Re: Alas children
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2007, 10:52:05 pm »
I shall have to send you to bed bereft.

I'm exhausted, haven't eaten dinner yet and need to get up early tomorrow.

Fear not, I have some topics you can look forward to -

"Moods and Foods"

"Terrorists and Taxis"

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

(for tonight)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(for the future topics!!! They sound very good!)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2007, 05:23:42 am »
Good point. But I think there's another reason: portion size.

I've had my first taste of nothern american food when we were in Canada this summer and the portions of food we were served in the restaurants were a lot bigger than what I'm used to. There was always food left in my plate after I was finished.

I kept telling my kids not to overeat!

In Spain portion sizes are quite large. And it is always two plates! Some people are overweight but generally the population is thiner than in America. In fact, I have a friend from Chicago who's amazed at how people here eats fried food all the time and aren't overweight. I suppose in Spain's case it is the exercise. Most buildings have no elevators so you're forced to go up the stairs. I have a friend who lives in the 7th floor and no elevator! Also, supermarkets are at a walking distance so a lot of people (including me) go and come back on foot carrying all the groceries.  I have strong arms because of it!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2007, 12:37:55 am »
patio 
1828, “inner court open to the sky,” from Sp. patio probably from O.Prov. patu, pati “untilled land, communal pasture,” from L. pactum “agreement”. Another theory traces the Sp. word to L. patere “to lie open.” Meaning “paved and enclosed terrace beside a building” first recorded 1941.

Maybe it’s because Texas has over 250 days of sun per year, maybe it’s the Spanish and thus European influence of patios, maybe I’m just a creature of my generation, but the street-side café culture was one of the biggest shrugs of my Paris trip.  They existed in profusion, you couldn’t turn a corner without tripping over one, they were just as charming as you imagined they might be.

In Texas we call it patio-dining.  The only major difference is the enclosure, otherwise I’d been dining in ‘street-side cafés’ all my life.  We just call them different things.  And I think in some ways, patios are superior.  You’re not actually right next to the street.  On some days, the Paris traffic was so gridlocked on the streets, the car exhaust fumes sucked out all the oxygen.  I can’t imagine trying to eat through that.  My sister worried that the local cars were in poor condition, since we never saw the local version of a Jiffy Lube or Brake Center.  “How good are their brakes?  What keeps them from jumping the curb and running everyone down?”

I figured that since the traffic was so incredibly stop and go, there was no real distance to gather up speed, so the cars’ brakes were not overly stressed.

Maybe.

Being close to the street certainly has its downside.

A few years back, an ex-coworker very reluctantly accompanied her husband when his job transferred him to Paris.  Trying to get into a good mood about the move, they ate at a street-side café.  Unfortunately, just as they began to eat, a small pigeon alighted in the road and promptly got run over by a car.  The dying bird twitched in the street next to their table all through their meal.

It was an omen, she was sure.

Now we couldn’t actually dine outside during our rainy Paris sojourn, mind you (jaundiced glance at sister). But that first night in Paris, we managed it for dinner. 

We found a charming café near the Pantheon whose main waiter was so effusive in his greeting and welcome that he made you wonder about the score on their last health inspection.  He so rapidly switched between English, French and Spanish that we had a hard time keeping up with him.

Now people have been saying that the French and Italians are slim due to all the exercise they get walking up and down streets and stairs.  I most heartily agree.

Our hotel had an elevator.  This was a requirement for my sister.  In searching for our hotel, “chaming” and “quaint” and “19th century” were buzzwords I looked for that warned me that a hotel might not have an elevator.  But our hotel did have one.  I guess you could call it that.  I called it a glorified dumb waiter.  It could just fit me and my suitcase if I shoved the suitcase in, got in in front of it and lay on top of my upright suitcase so the door could close.  You were so uncomfortable, you didn’t have time to be claustrophobic.

Luckily for me, I only rode the elevator twice, when I arrived with my suitcase and when I left with my suitcase.  We were only on the 2nd floor (1st floor European), but the very narrow, low-grade rising winding staircase could only fit one person abreast and certainly wasn’t wide enough for a suitcase.  I considered it a challenge to climb every single day I came home from a long day of walking (my sister had no such compunctions.  She rode it every single day back up to our room).

So I definitely see French people staying in great shape by doing this daily.  However, I must disagree about someone’s post that the food portions are small in France/Europe.

OK, we’re at this charming street-side café our first night in Paris.  The night is fine, the moonlight fierce

Pantheon on the walk back to our hotel

and we’re dining al fresco
- on metal chairs
- on slanting pavement, so I had to balance on the edge of the chair all evening.

I wanted to order something light.  I leaned over to my sister’s French friend and whispered, “How do you say soup in French?”

“Soup.” He grinned.

*sigh*

Anyway, I ordered a crepe first, then after it arrived – the first one I ever had – I decided not to order anything more.  The thing was the size of a large dinner plate.  I couldn’t believe this massive slab of food was a typical or single serving!!

This was not an isolated example.

Hot dogs were not in the hand-sized buns like in the U.S., they were extra long – what we called “foot longs” - in long baguettes, covered in cheese and toasted.  The snails I ordered in a restaurant could have fed 3 people.  Sandwiches were in the form of what are called hoagies/sub sandwiches here in the States.  Fried potatoes were heaped in a pile next to a monsieur .

The smallest or most ‘normal’ servings I saw was when I ate a Royale with Cheese at the McDonald’s on the Champs Elysees. (don’t look at me like that.  It was the only place we could afford on that street).

The deluxe potatoes came with a ‘special sauce’ that looks like mayonnaise a la Pulp Fiction.

Still, I’m impressed that the French stay so slim with such portion sizes, the crowded McDonald’s restaurants, pastry and chocolate shops AND their biggest food passion.

You read about tulip-mania the 17th century Netherlands.  People going mad for tulips.  In the late 20th century it was exotic coffee at Starbucks in the U.S..  Now London was mad for Starbucks.  There was one on every street corner, sometimes across the same street from each other!! 

In Paris it was gelato.

Gelato – Italy’s version of ice-cream.

Paris was mad for gelato.  There were gelato stands on every street, even the little bodegas and delis had a gelato cart.  Every day, I saw people walking around eating cones or cups of gelato.

Normally I’m a chauvinist when I travel.  I want to experience the country and its traditions and culture, so I’m basically,

“I didn’t fly 3000 miles to eat Tex Mex food in Paris.”

“No, I don’t want to stop on the bridge and listen to a jazz band.  We’re Americans, we invented jazz.  If I want to listen to jazz, it’s better at home.”

And

“No, I don’t want Italian ice cream.  I’ll eat that when I go to Italy.”

I tend to want to eat and experience things like the locals but not if it includes eating food I could easily find at home or a different country, ya know?

I did listen to and give a tip to an old guy on the Pont de Artes bridge who, early one morning, was playing an accordion.  The music wafting over the Seine was every clichéd soundtrack about France and Paris you’d ever heard.  I loved it.

injest

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2007, 12:54:58 am »
If I had worn white pants....I would have sit in something nasty before I had left the hotel! (you brave woman!)

You look good too! so happy.... ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2007, 08:08:37 am »
I love this, delalluvia!   I'm looking forward to every story!  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2007, 11:02:19 am »
I love this, delalluvia!   I'm looking forward to every story!  :)

So do I  :)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2007, 08:37:01 pm »
Sister:  Are you through posing with naked guys yet?

Me:  Nope.

The Louvre was everything you might have heard regarding this massive palace turned museum.

It was just as awesome, inspiring, breathtaking,  beautiful, overwhelming, confusing and crowded as one might have imagined.

My first impression?

"Stinks down here."

Since the weather was supposed to be the worst on a certain day, we chose that day to go to the Louvre since we knew we would spend hours there and it would be all inside.  Our local Metro station took us straight to the underground entrance there.  It was blasting rain and the clouds were low and as dark as twilight when we arrived, and if that daunted the other tourists, you couldn't tell.

Again, no fire regulations.  You got in, regardless of the crowds.

I forced my sister to choose the areas she wanted particularly to visit.  We were not going to have the time necessary to take in the whole thing, obviously.

We saw Victory on its huge pedestal.  Amazing work, different shades of stone, jostling crowds, flashes going off left and right, you stepping accidentally into other people's photographs and becoming immortalized forever on someone's else's vacation shots (my sister shoved me forward as a volunteer to try dowsing rods and leylines at Stonehenge that trip.  You would have been deafened by the sounds of digital cameras whirring to life to record every movement I made).

The museum discouraged flash photography for the artwork.  The statues were fair game (however, we were rousted at the Musee D'Orsay for using flash on a huge statue representing Dante's Inferno.  WTF?  I can understand this rule for the paintings, but statues?!?!?  It's ROCK!  No flash is going to budge a single molecule.  If someone can explain this rule to me, please do.)

My choices were the Greek, Etruscan, Roman statuary.  This was on a lower floor, below the Victory.  We got down there and instantly recoiled.

"Whew!  What IS that stink?"

"Can't smell like this all the time."

Our theory was due to the weather or other mischievous activity, a toilet somewhere on the bottom level had backed up and the smell of sewage was everywhere.  Luckily for everyone, any methane gas that might have accompanied it, stayed in the lower levels and didn't fill up the whole place and blow us all to kingdom come.

Anyway, we found an elevator and took it back upstairs - by this time I was anticipating my sister's weakness - and just like the DaVinci Code, we spotted the parquet wood floor long before we were able to strongarm our way in front to see the great lady Mona Lisa.  She was very small, 25 feet away from roped off crowds, behind plexiglass, under controlled atmosphere, in the dark which just begged for flash, with two guards around her at all times.

Other works were astounding.  The famous Napoleon Crowning Josephine was like 19 feet by 30 feet.  Just ungodly in its size.  Can you imagine the hundred of pounds of handmade paint that would have been needed to paint such a master work?  I tried to find other DaVinci Code favorites, but was unsuccessful.

Security was very attentive.  You could see the strings running along the wall, motion or heat sensors, I imagine.  I was inbetween galleries, looking at some of the statuary among the paintings they had every 50 feet or so, when the alarm went off.  Someone was threatening a painting!

I dodged into a room quickly - not wanting to get crushed by the security doors clanking down.

:-\

Well, that's what happened in the movie!

Nothing happened.  My sister was closer to the action than I, and she reported later that a woman was just leaning too close to one painting and set off the alarm.  Security came running and just cautioned her back.  That was it.

As an aside, I noticed a lot more police action in Paris than London.  Heard and saw the cops in street action maybe twice in London - once nearly getting run over in front of a Sainsbury when the cops came rushing out and jumped into their cars and peeled off burning rubber the whole way.  Guess the store ran out of doughnuts - or so my sister guessed.  ;D

In Paris, there were cops and ambulances every day, many times a day, sirens going off.  Either Paris has a lot more criminal activity than London, or the cops there make a big deal out of every little thing.  One fender-bender I spotted while reading outside the Shakespeare and Co., bookstore involved a woman who'd been knocked off her scooter.  She was being helped back onto it by 5 cops, one other cop was talking to the driver who hit her. 

Another incident involved some altercation in the Metro, again a woman accusing some man of something bad.  Four cops around her, keeping her from pummeling the man, Metro officials and one other cop talking to the man under suspicion.

Go figure.

My sister favored Renaissance art, which meant canvas after canvas of Madonnas with child or martyrs which, after a while, made my eyes glaze over.  I did note that whenever an artist painted David's Triumph over Goliath, there was a woman playing the tambourine in the young sling master's entourage.  I did a survey and spotted 5 Triumphs and - yep - 5 tambourine slappin' strumpets in 'em.

My sister refused to take photos of them.

Maybe the tambourine was a popular instrument back in the Renaissance?  I'm pretty sure it wasn't around during Old Testament days.

I suppose I was too overwhelmed by the Louvre.  It was too much. So much to take in, absorb, see, want to see.  Yet, I couldn't quite get into it.  I felt more impressed and awed by it in the DaVinci Code movie.  I suppose because the characters in that movie were able to be there alone.  When you're constantly backing into people or blocking their view or they're in your way, you see and feel less of the grand structure than you do your fellow art lover.

A friend asked me about my London trip once - did I feel the grandeur and age and history of humanity that had come before me in some of these centuries old structures?

I replied no, because you didn't have a chance to.  You were always on a conveyor belt of tourists, rushing in and out. 

I could have spent hours just gazing at the ceiling art, absorbing the vast airy galleries, feeling the weight of time and history, but standing there gaping, you were obviously in the way and made to feel like it.

My main regret for not having as much time as I would like in these places.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:25:03 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2007, 09:06:43 pm »
MAN! what an awesome trip. Tell you what....you and me will go and we will spend the whole week in there. I will just SHOVE people out of the way...I am never gonna see them again what do I care? LOL!!

;) ;)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »
hee like the smily faces!! (and the stories!!)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2007, 04:09:50 am »

A proper ending – on the Day of the Dead.   ;D

For those who’ve followed my adventures, thank you for your attention, encouragement, enthusiasm and for all your helpful hints prior to my trip.

Again, my trip was not exactly what I thought it would be – while some sights I did expect to impress and they did – Versailles, the Eiffel Tower – I found myself very affected and impressed by lesser sights.

European travel has been a dream for me my whole life.  And as such, in the past I paid close attention to favorite movies when their settings were in places I wanted to visit.  I had a picture taken of myself on the steps ascending to the Church at Sacre Coeur to memorialize my being at the exact spot in a movie scene.  I wanted to take my picture on another set of historic steps next to the church, but my sister had no intention of walking up those steps to take my picture.  I tried to coax her and ended up getting into an argument with her at the foot of the stairs.  They’re famous stairs and alas, due to my sister’s lack of physical conditioning and lack of desire to push herself at all, I have only a photo of the stairs and not myself on them.  One of several regrets and opportunities lost due to my sister’s limitations:

But our argument there had a couple of upsides – 1) like London, she could see that I had no patience with her behavior and was putting the blame squarely on her (“yeah, I know your feet hurt and you can’t make it up the stairs, but it’s your own fucking fault.”  I wasn’t going to excuse her.  She doesn’t have a medical condition for being the way she is, it’s pure laziness.) and 2), there was a group of men working the tourists at the bottom of the stairs at Sacre Coeur.  They weren’t exactly beggars like the gypsy girls we’d seen working the crowd at the Champs du Mars by the Eiffel Tower - harangued by their leader like a female Lenin leaning from a traincar – and they weren’t con-men, they were simply men with an angle.  Once a tourist got to the bottom of the steps – and they were covering each staircase like a team - they would approach, friendly and cheerful and ask if they’d seen the church and if they answered yes, the men’d immediately wrap a string around the captive tourist’s wrist and begin to braid it, saying it was a tradition of the church, a religious memento, hell, I don’t know what their spiel was, all I know is after the tourist got their kabbalahbabble bullshit thread bracelet, the guys’d hit them up for a donation.  We'd managed to dodge them the first time, but while standing there by the stairs next to the lift arguing, one caught up with us.

Picture this, me and my sister, face to face, sniping at each other in plain – well, Texas accented American – English, oblivious to anything else and here comes a guy

“Hello!  Do you speak English?”

“NO!” We’d shout, then went back to argue argue argue with each other.

“Are you from America - ?”

“NO!”  Bitch bitch bitch.

“C’mon, be nice -.”

“NO!”  Piss piss moan moan.

The guy left and not a single one approached us the rest of our visit there.  :P

I had coaxed my sister up a flight of stairs the evening before and didn’t know why she wouldn’t be coaxed again.

Paris is a very historical town.  Once the late 20th century rolled around, the French were not about to tear down their beautiful historical downtown and build ugly, glass, high efficiency skyscrapers.  They saved that for their suburbs.

One famous business center lay at the very first stop for the St. Paul Metro.  La Defense.  The reason I wanted to go there was due to another favorite movie – The Bourne Identity..  For those of you who have seen it, you know that it takes place mostly in Paris.  I made sure to go to a few of the places the character had been and take my picture there.  A couple of pics were on bridges – Pont Neuf for one – and the other, strangely enough, was a very impressive business park.  In one scene, the character is heading for an office his alter-ego had done business with.  In the movie, I was perplexed by the setting of the scene.  It didn’t look like any shot of Paris I’d ever seen and there was a strange edifice in front of him that looked like a big picture frame.

In Paris, I learned that the big picture frame is an actual building.  It is called “Le Grande Arche de La Defense”.  Here is me, and this amazing building, doing my Jason Bourne impression:

This building was amazing.  We arrived near sunset and the clouds were breaking up and the play of light and shadows against the building’s very symmetrical detailing was incredible:

There were buildings nearby with a play of constantly changing neon lights running under their murky panes of glass, like something out of Blade Runner or Logan’s Run, other buildings designed – purposely - like open books standing on end that I’ve read actually house a library.  I was overwhelmed.  My sister didn’t really share my excitement, but she took pictures readily enough and actually climbed the stairs of the Grande Arche slowly and carefully - but at the top of the stairs found something that really caught her interest:

*sigh*  There’s no accounting for taste.

I can’t help that some places in Paris impressed me more than the traditional touristy places that are supposed to impress.  Another not-to-be-missed highlight of my trip hearkened back to the Jack the Ripper tour we took in London.  It's one of those moments in life/on a trip that are sublime - when everything just comes together.  Then, it was a night tour and the mood and atmosphere and settings were absolutely perfect.  The group was small, we strode dark back alleys to the areas where the murders took place, where the 19th century buildings still stood, mute, with darkened windows like blind eyes staring down at us.  The night was cold and sometime in the dark of the evening, as if on cue, church bells began to peal, making us all jump.

The Paris equivalent was our going to the Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise. 

It wasn’t easily reached by metro.  After a few days in Paris, my sister refused to go anywhere where we had to switch trains more than twice.  It would have taken 3 transfers and some walking to get to Pere Lachaise.  She refused.  So I made her pony up her share for a taxi.

This is the famous cemetery where many luminaries of history are buried and we were there to pay our respects.  This cemetery is the old kind, not the ‘perpetual care’ corpse parking lots we have in the newer parts of the States:

This place was centuries old, with soaring trees whose branches snarled overhead, dirt paths, winding cobblestone streets climbing up to a terraced level with more graves, shrines and little mausoleums standing like sentinels along your path.  It was sad as some of these little mausoleums had been very beautiful and charming – leaded painted glass windows, built-in benches, wrought iron decorative gates and altars inside - but they were falling into ruin, the glass broken, overgrown with weeds, the gates hanging off their hinges, some just desecrated - either the family had moved away or died out and these tombs were just going to fall into ruin and finally return to dust.  There were enormous monuments there as well.  Obelisks and pyramids, a wall engraved with glyphs standing over the tomb of a Guatamalan man who’d died a long way from home.  Asian tombs that were startingly modern compared to the etched and weathered stone tombs around them.

Normally when you visit a cemetery, people go with a sense of respect and pretty much know where they’re going as they are usually there to visit family or friends.  Not at Pere Lachaise.  We were there to see some famous folks.  And so was everyone else we saw.  Everyone was in very casual clothing, carrying backpacks and cameras and all of us had out a book or a map.  We were all there for the same reason.

A handsome young man with a Slavic accent asked to see my map and did we know where Chopin was buried?   Sure, we pointed.  Over there, where that crowd is, the tomb covered in old wreaths, pink roses and other fresh flowers and burning candles.  It was so crowded, we didn’t stop.  My sister was on a mission.

Here she is:

That is Jim Morrison’s grave.  It is the only one in Pere Lachaise that is cordoned off - see the rails? - and has a security guard standing over it 24/7 to keep it from being vandalized.  There was a crowd there, too.  My sister tossed her flowers on his grave and then we struck up a conversation with a Kiwi and guy from Oz who were drinking red wine over the grave.  They had been teaching English in China and had decided to jump on a plane and come pay their respects.  Another lady there was very well dressed and after looking at the crowd with some interest, came up to me and haltingly asked in a French accent,

“Who is James Morrison?”

She didn’t know what all the fuss was about.

While my sister was chatting up the two from Down Under, a young Eastern/Middle Eastern looking guy asked me to take his picture in front of the grave, then pulled out a poster of the Doors and had me take another one.   8)

We went up the terraced walk, my sister taking it easy, lest she twist her ankle slipping and jamming her foot between the large cobblestones – it was not easy walking at all – until we found Oscar Wilde’s tomb.  It is apparently popular with the gay community.  What you see are lipstick kisses covering the tomb.  I didn’t kiss it, it seemed a bit unsanitary:

We were headed back the way we came through the cemetery – downhill - looking for Moliere's tomb when the weather changed.  It had been sunny early that morning, partly cloudy, but as we walked down back paths toward the other side of the park, we realized that we were alone, no one else in sight.

It’s autumn in Paris, leaves are turning color and falling.

The sky darkened, the wind began to pick up.  The air grew cold.  Leaves started to drift down, swirling past our ankles and down the paths, trees branches rubbing against each other, rustling.  Crows- or ravens - burst from bushes with a blast of wings, cawing loudly, fighting each other over the obelisk tips, flashing rapidly overhead.  In the underbrush, black – I kid you not – cats followed the birds silently.

It was suddenly very eerie there. 

I loved it.

Needless to say, the gods of Dis smiled on us so it didn’t start to pour rain until we left the cemetery.  As all of you who live in large cities know, once it starts to rain, getting a taxi is nearly impossible.  We were directed away from one taxi stand toward another by a man who looked like a bum and probably wanted us gone so he could lay down on the bench we were sitting on.  He told my sister – somehow – that the next taxi stand was easier to get a taxi and was just a ‘little ways down’.  It was more like a quarter mile away.  We were soaked above the ankles with cold rain when we finally took cover under the taxi stand awning.  But I got spooked when a guy pulled up and parked his Mercedes in the taxi lane – blocking any taxi from actually parking in front of the stand – put on his hazard lights and left.  I sat there, cold, wet, my cheap umbrella unequal to the task of keeping me dry, staring at that car and had a sudden realization.

“Hey, weren’t those car bombs in Piccadilly Circus in London Mercedes?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Car bombs.  Terrorists.  Where did that guy go who just left his car here?”

“Oh for gods sake – what is there to bomb here?  There’s nothing -.”

At that instant, a door flew open and catty-corner across the street, a bunch of young teenagers came pouring out of what seemed to be –

“It’s a school.  Look, I’m not sitting here.  This could be a bomb for all we know.”

Amazingly, I got my sister up and moving.  She grumbled, but she came along.  It was a long trip back to our neighborhood, waiting in vain at another taxi stand, wondering if we were going to have to start bashing heads to get a taxi, then finally decided to find a Metro station - basically walking and riding the metro back to our hotel in Le Marais.

As an aside, Le Marais was the gay part of town, but we saw few shops that seem to cater specifically to a gay crowd and if there was PDA going on, we never saw any.

So, we're wet, I took another wrong turn getting back to the hotel and we found ourselves walking down yet another picturesque cobblestone street and alleyways in an absolute downpour, rain gushing over our feet like a river, my leather boots and socks and pant legs soaked to the knees with cold water and we're shopping, ducking in and out of shops.

But you know?  I was happy.

I was in Paris.  :)

injest

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2007, 07:24:16 am »

but what is that hanging in the middle of it? Looks like something from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome....

injest

« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2007, 07:29:27 am »

I like all your pictures of the cemetary but I think this is my favorites from all of the pics....I want to walk down that path!

what is that at the first of your post though? all those bones and skulls? Is that MOLD on those bones? yuk!!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2007, 08:43:56 am »
I love how you ou the devil face on your sis!!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2007, 09:47:24 am »
You little devil, you  ;). Painting your sister like this, tsk, tsk  :laugh:

Same question Jess had already asked: what on earth is this thing hanging in the middle?

I loved this pic:

It looks like a piece of art. Well, it is a piece of art, but it looks like a painting or photograph hanging on the wall in a museum, not like an actual building. Impressive.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us  :).

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2007, 12:09:24 pm »
Jess

but what is that hanging in the middle of it? Looks like something from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Chrissi

Same question Jess had already asked: what on earth is this thing hanging in the middle?

That ladies, is a very large and decorative tarp/tenting.  The building is huge and my pic - as usual - doesn't do it justice.  Like many places in Paris, you can't really grasp how big these edifices are.  That 'tarp' is given structure/strung up/ held down by thick steel cables - you can see them in the big picture and the artsy picture of the window.  The cables were threaded through eyebolts sunk in the walls and floor of the palazzo level of the building.  The part of the eyebolts visible were as tall as me and were probably larger, continuing under the flooring  That's how mind-bogglingly stupendous this structure was.  The 'tarp' covers a ticket booth.  You can also see that in the big picture.  You can buy a ticket there and ride those chute-looking glass elevators (those two parallel lines rising out of the tarp) straight to the top of La Grande Arche for a roof-top viewing of the city.  The Arc de Triomphe lies in a straight line in front of it off in the distance - any idea why one is called an 'arche' and the other an 'arc'?  ???

Jess

I like all your pictures of the cemetary but I think this is my favorites from all of the pics....I want to walk down that path!

So did I, and I did.  ;D  It was another one of those iconic shots.  I'd seen it before - deja vu like - in many pics of Paris and here I was!

what is that at the first of your post though? all those bones and skulls? Is that MOLD on those bones? yuk!!

The catacombs of Paris.  A sight-seeing destination I didn't tell you guys about.  It was only a 5 minute trip by RER train to get there, but due to our getting on the wrong train - twice  :P - turned into a chilly, rainy 2.5 hour ordeal to the 'hood" of Paris on a train and back - graffiti was everywhere in Paris, even in places so high and precarious you didn't care about what they said, you wondered more how they got up there with the number of spray paint cans needed to color something.  That stuff ain't cheap.  Why do they spend their money doing it?.  The graffiti was familiar though.  Fat artsy letters - do vandals take world-wide graffiti spraying classes or something?  The writing looks just like American graffiti and just as illegible.

Anyway, back to the catacombs - this is where the needs of the living overwhelmed the needs of the dead.  In the 19th century, Parisiennes needed more space in the city and decided to evict all those who were already decomposing peacefully in their graves.  Over a span of years, they dug up several cemeteries - I assume they de-consecrated them, otherwise there would have been riots by the living and the dead, I'm sure - and with a priest leading the wagons, took the bones of 6 million Parisiennes to the catacombs below the city.  The catacombs were 600 steps below the street level and as the guide book said, it would help if you had a flashlight and were less than 6'2", the roof was pretty low.  I warned my sister that this was no place for claustrophobics and to watch her footing.  This was a one shot trip.  If she fell down or got injured somehow in the catacombs...there is no emergency exit.  You have to return to the entrance or go on to the exit.  The catacombs were nearly a mile long, I think.  I wasn't going to drag her ass all that way.  Frankly I was wondering if - at the end of the tour - she was even going to be able to get back up to street level.  She almost didn't, the staircase was so narrow, and people behind us could not get around her.  Embarrassingly, she had to stop and rest every few feet.  But luckily it was only 200 feet back up to the street.

Anyway, the bones of the dead are stacked - sometimes very decoratively - along the walls.  Yes, that is moss or mold growing.  I cheated, our pictures look the same, but the proprietors frowned on visitors using flash photography, so we had to find the strongest limited lighting sources in the catacombs and take what pictures we could.  The pics you see of the bones are almost exactly what we took - but someone else used flash and got better shots, so I uploaded those instead.  8)

It was very dimly lit.  And there were signs of quotations all over the place.  I'm sure they were clever or inspirational or ironic quotes from French literati about life/death/dying, but 1) we couldn't read them because they were in the dark and not lit!  - what kind of moron puts signs in a catacomb, then doesn't put a light next to them?!?!  Are the signs there for the dead to read?  Jeez!  >:( and 2) because, maddeningly the signs were all in French.  One thing the guide books don't say - the French rarely use mutliple language references.  The instructions in a box of medicine and the signs next to statues and paintings in museums are all in French.

Heh, we sat in Metro stations all week, listening to the announcements

"Madame et monsieur, madame et monsieur there is an outbreak of anthrax in the tunnels, thousands are dying, please don't inhale or panic and head for the nearest exit..."

or, they might have been saying that, but since they only spoke in French we had no clue and just continued to sit on our benches waiting for the trains.   :laugh:

The catacombs weren't yucky or scary or smelly - the cemetery had been more eerie.  I guess the sheer volume of bones kind of numbed you.  Like repeating the same word over and over again until it falls into nonsense.  The enormous quantity of bones lost the impact of actually being people.  And such famous people were there!  But like Mozart in the movie Amadeus, their remains were lost forever in the anonymous heaps.  My sister said she'd only gotten spooked once.  She paused to take a picture in one side hall, and the strap of her camera swung back and hit her on her side.  She jumped.  ;D

Kelda

I love how you ou the devil face on your sis!!

Chrissi

You little devil, you   . Painting your sister like this, tsk, tsk   

She had it coming.  :laugh:

Thank you for sharing your trip with us

You're welcome.  Thank you all for reading.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2007, 01:29:32 pm »
Oh and I meant to say - next trip you do with your sis, start asking peeps to take photos of you where she cant go.

I've done so may things and my own and really wanted a pic of me in the photo to prove that they really aren't stock photos that I have nabbed from somewhere - i was actually there!

Where a hold your camera above your head and take a photo yourself doesn't work - I just bite the bullet - and ask folk!

Most folk are quite happy to do so! Even non tourists... In fact - sometimes where I've been either trying to take photos myself with the hands above head thing or trying to set the timer where I know the camera wont get stolen - often people ask if they want me to take one!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2007, 01:34:14 pm »
Oh and I meant to say - next trip you do with your sis, start asking peeps to take photos of you where she cant go.

I've done so may things and my own and really wanted a pic of me in the photo to prove that they really aren't stock photos that I have nabbed from somewhere - i was actually there!

Where a hold your camera above your head and take a photo yourself doesn't work - I just bite the bullet - and ask folk!

Thanks, I've tried it too.  I have a pic of myself at Brighton Beach that I took of myself - not so good - and one taken by a nice family man on a romp on the beach with his 3 little girls.  He gladly took a shot of me in the surf of the English Channel.  It was much better.

Most folk are quite happy to do so! Even non tourists... In fact - sometimes where I've been either trying to take photos myself with the hands above head thing or trying to set the timer where I know the camera wont get stolen - often people ask if they want me to take one!

:laugh: :laugh:  True, but in some places in Paris - like Sacre Couer - I was afraid that I might ask the wrong person and they'd make off with my camera.   :o :o
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 03:03:57 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2007, 01:45:31 pm »
Thanks, I've tried it too.  I have a pic of myself at Brighton Beach that I took of myself - not so good - and one taken by a nice family man on a romp on the beach with his 3 little girls.  He gladly took a shot of me in the surf of the English Channel.

:laugh: :laugh:  True, but in some places in Paris - like Sacre Couer - I was afraid that I might ask the wrong person and they'd make off with my camera.   :o :o

oh please....like someone would dare take off with your camera! I can picture you chasing them down

I can't believe those French people insisted on talking French! the nerve of them!  ;) ;) ;D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2007, 01:53:48 pm »

Ah yes true, then I guess other tourists are your best bet.

injest

« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2007, 01:55:36 pm »
or a cop!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2007, 02:59:08 pm »
oh please....like someone would dare take off with your camera! I can picture you chasing them down

Of course.  You definitely know me well.  ;D

I can't believe those French people insisted on talking French! the nerve of them!  ;) ;) ;D

:laugh:  Can you believe it?  What a messed up country!  :laugh:

Ah yes true, then I guess other tourists are your best bet.
or a cop!

Ah, the cops.  I thought all cops were called gendarmes.  But all the police I saw in Paris had the word "POLICE" stitched onto a patch on their uniforms.  I asked my sister's friend the cop about it and he said that gendarmes were more like military police.

I saw a couple of them.

OMG!!!

One of their required classes must be at Handsome School.  Every single gendarme I saw was a god.  I could hardly believe it.  Gorgeous.  Hollywood gorgeous.  I asked the friend, 'What do you do with ugly ones?  Drown them?"  He just laughed, shrugged and said with Gallic nonchalance, "Ah, well, being young and in very good shape..."

With their military-like uniforms and rifles and little French Foreign Legion hats, they were unbelievably great looking.  I wanted to take a picture so I could show you guys, but they only were around certain areas - the embassy district and outside the Senate house at certain times of the day - to escort or guard the politicians I guess - and I thought that if I hauled out my camera then, they might look askance at a foreign-looking woman taking pictures of a politically sensitive area -

What is she doing?  Casing the joint?  Scouting out/documenting security weak areas?

I was afraid they might tackle me and beat the camera out of me.  OK, I wouldn't have minded being tackled by one of them, but spending the rest of the day trying to explain what I was doing didn't sound like a good way to spend my precious vacation time.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 04:50:50 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2007, 03:02:39 pm »

Oh. This thought never would have occurred to me  :o.
I have no idea if I am too trusting and naive or if you're too cautious. Maybe Kelda has the best balance: ask people, but have a close look at them before (ie asking another tourist).
But it sure is interesting how different people approach such situations (without judging the one or other as better, just stating the fact).

injest

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2007, 03:03:39 pm »
all you had to do is tell them you scouting for the new stars of Brokeback Mountain (the French version!)

I am sure they would have been delighted to be photographed!!

I can't believe you didn't get none of them!! jeez woman....go back over and get some!

injest

« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2007, 03:05:01 pm »
I have no idea if I am too trusting and naive or if you're too cautious. Maybe Kelda has the best balance: ask people, but have a close look at them before (ie asking another tourist).
But it sure is interesting how different people approach such situations (without judging the one or other as better, just stating the fact).

you say potato...they say potahto....

I say tater...

:laugh:

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2007, 03:11:31 pm »
all you had to do is tell them you scouting for the new stars of Brokeback Mountain (the French version!)

I am sure they would have been delighted to be photographed!!

I can't believe you didn't get none of them!! jeez woman....go back over and get some!

Well, I just figured they weren't standing there just to shoot the shit (is this just an American expression from our gun culture or do other countries use this?), they were there to do a job, and needed to keep up a safety cordon.  The walls around the areas they were standing had warning signs and those flashing lights you see on the top of police cars, but not being able to read French too well, the best I could make out was that it said to keep clear, so I didn't want to compromise them doing their jobs.  Especially in this day and age.

Tell you what.  You pack up the Xanax and your camera and don't forget your mittens and fly on over to Paris and hunt them down with your camera.  You'll be glad you did.     ;)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2007, 03:15:49 pm »

No, you're right, I was probably too cautious.  We were in heavily touristed areas with plenty of not-French people around, I could have easily asked.  Other tourists, Americans and otherwise - asked me to take their pictures and I gladly did - but I'm extremely cautious by nature, especially in a country where I don't speak the language, so I always prefer to err on the side of caution.

injest

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2007, 03:16:21 pm »
Well, I just figured they weren't standing there just to shoot the shit (is this just an American expression from our gun culture or do other countries use this?), they were there to do a job, and needed to keep up a safety cordon.  The walls around the areas they were standing had warning signs and those flashing lights you see on the top of police cars, but not being able to read French too well, the best I could make out was that it said to keep clear, so I didn't want to compromise them doing their jobs.  Especially in this day and age.

Tell you what.  You pack up the Xanax and your camera and don't forget your mittens and fly on over to Paris and hunt them down with your camera.  You'll be glad you did.     ;)

uh uh!! I am SKEERED of that plane thing!!

YOU go!! You are the resident France expert now...they KNOW you over there now...wouldn't be like a total stranger showing up.

;D ;D ;D

(I really don't think they make enough Xanax to get me on a plane)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2007, 03:18:38 pm »
uh uh!! I am SKEERED of that plane thing!!

YOU go!! You are the resident France expert now...they KNOW you over there now...wouldn't be like a total stranger showing up.

;D ;D ;D

(I really don't think they make enough Xanax to get me on a plane)

:laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt - too expensive.  :P

Your turn.

injest

« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2007, 03:26:08 pm »
:laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt - too expensive.  :P

Your turn.

ok! as soon as they build a big ol bridge I will drive right over......

or whenever they develop a transporter like on Star Trek

whichever comes first...

injest

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2007, 03:28:27 pm »
seriously, I really admire you, Del. You arranged to pay for the trip...planned it out, went and had a great time....

I couldn't do that. (obviously)

I can't even get to the coast and it is only three hours drive away!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2007, 04:38:04 pm »
seriously, I really admire you, Del. You arranged to pay for the trip...planned it out, went and had a great time....

I couldn't do that. (obviously)

I can't even get to the coast and it is only three hours drive away!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Sure you can.  It's not as easy as falling off a log, but it's not that much harder.  Airlines and hotels want to take your money, so they're going to be as helpful as possible in letting you spend it on them.

The hardest part - for me, anyway - was flying.  After I survived the trip, everything else was cream on the cake.

The other hard part was finding and budgeting the money (and nowadays, the passport.  It was a lot easier to get one when I did) for your trip.  As I have said, if I could have afforded a hotel room by myself, I would have gone by myself in a flash.

After that, it's just a matter of studying maps and books and reading up on where you want to go and how to get there.  And again, there are plenty of tour guide writers wanting you to buy their books on how to do it.

If that sounds like too much trouble, find a tour group. 

Which is what we're going to do for Italy. 

injest

« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2007, 11:20:30 pm »
Sure you can.  It's not as easy as falling off a log, but it's not that much harder.  Airlines and hotels want to take your money, so they're going to be as helpful as possible in letting you spend it on them.

The hardest part - for me, anyway - was flying.  After I survived the trip, everything else was cream on the cake.

The other hard part was finding and budgeting the money (and nowadays, the passport.  It was a lot easier to get one when I did) for your trip.  As I have said, if I could have afforded a hotel room by myself, I would have gone by myself in a flash.

After that, it's just a matter of studying maps and books and reading up on where you want to go and how to get there.  And again, there are plenty of tour guide writers wanting you to buy their books on how to do it.

If that sounds like too much trouble, find a tour group. 

Which is what we're going to do for Italy. 

I guess I could use my kids college money...and heck them cows can eat grass!!

still...we got the problem of the airplane!!