Author Topic: An American Girl in Paris  (Read 38204 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: An American Girl in Paris
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2007, 03:11:31 pm »
all you had to do is tell them you scouting for the new stars of Brokeback Mountain (the French version!)

I am sure they would have been delighted to be photographed!!

I can't believe you didn't get none of them!! jeez woman....go back over and get some!

Well, I just figured they weren't standing there just to shoot the shit (is this just an American expression from our gun culture or do other countries use this?), they were there to do a job, and needed to keep up a safety cordon.  The walls around the areas they were standing had warning signs and those flashing lights you see on the top of police cars, but not being able to read French too well, the best I could make out was that it said to keep clear, so I didn't want to compromise them doing their jobs.  Especially in this day and age.

Tell you what.  You pack up the Xanax and your camera and don't forget your mittens and fly on over to Paris and hunt them down with your camera.  You'll be glad you did.     ;)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2007, 03:15:49 pm »
Oh. This thought never would have occurred to me  :o.
I have no idea if I am too trusting and naive or if you're too cautious. Maybe Kelda has the best balance: ask people, but have a close look at them before (ie asking another tourist).
But it sure is interesting how different people approach such situations (without judging the one or other as better, just stating the fact).

No, you're right, I was probably too cautious.  We were in heavily touristed areas with plenty of not-French people around, I could have easily asked.  Other tourists, Americans and otherwise - asked me to take their pictures and I gladly did - but I'm extremely cautious by nature, especially in a country where I don't speak the language, so I always prefer to err on the side of caution.

injest

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2007, 03:16:21 pm »
Well, I just figured they weren't standing there just to shoot the shit (is this just an American expression from our gun culture or do other countries use this?), they were there to do a job, and needed to keep up a safety cordon.  The walls around the areas they were standing had warning signs and those flashing lights you see on the top of police cars, but not being able to read French too well, the best I could make out was that it said to keep clear, so I didn't want to compromise them doing their jobs.  Especially in this day and age.

Tell you what.  You pack up the Xanax and your camera and don't forget your mittens and fly on over to Paris and hunt them down with your camera.  You'll be glad you did.     ;)

uh uh!! I am SKEERED of that plane thing!!

YOU go!! You are the resident France expert now...they KNOW you over there now...wouldn't be like a total stranger showing up.

;D ;D ;D

(I really don't think they make enough Xanax to get me on a plane)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2007, 03:18:38 pm »
uh uh!! I am SKEERED of that plane thing!!

YOU go!! You are the resident France expert now...they KNOW you over there now...wouldn't be like a total stranger showing up.

;D ;D ;D

(I really don't think they make enough Xanax to get me on a plane)

:laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt - too expensive.  :P

Your turn.

injest

« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2007, 03:26:08 pm »
:laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt - too expensive.  :P

Your turn.

ok! as soon as they build a big ol bridge I will drive right over......

or whenever they develop a transporter like on Star Trek

whichever comes first...

injest

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2007, 03:28:27 pm »
seriously, I really admire you, Del. You arranged to pay for the trip...planned it out, went and had a great time....

I couldn't do that. (obviously)

I can't even get to the coast and it is only three hours drive away!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2007, 04:38:04 pm »
seriously, I really admire you, Del. You arranged to pay for the trip...planned it out, went and had a great time....

I couldn't do that. (obviously)

I can't even get to the coast and it is only three hours drive away!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Sure you can.  It's not as easy as falling off a log, but it's not that much harder.  Airlines and hotels want to take your money, so they're going to be as helpful as possible in letting you spend it on them.

The hardest part - for me, anyway - was flying.  After I survived the trip, everything else was cream on the cake.

The other hard part was finding and budgeting the money (and nowadays, the passport.  It was a lot easier to get one when I did) for your trip.  As I have said, if I could have afforded a hotel room by myself, I would have gone by myself in a flash.

After that, it's just a matter of studying maps and books and reading up on where you want to go and how to get there.  And again, there are plenty of tour guide writers wanting you to buy their books on how to do it.

If that sounds like too much trouble, find a tour group. 

Which is what we're going to do for Italy. 

injest

« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2007, 11:20:30 pm »
Sure you can.  It's not as easy as falling off a log, but it's not that much harder.  Airlines and hotels want to take your money, so they're going to be as helpful as possible in letting you spend it on them.

The hardest part - for me, anyway - was flying.  After I survived the trip, everything else was cream on the cake.

The other hard part was finding and budgeting the money (and nowadays, the passport.  It was a lot easier to get one when I did) for your trip.  As I have said, if I could have afforded a hotel room by myself, I would have gone by myself in a flash.

After that, it's just a matter of studying maps and books and reading up on where you want to go and how to get there.  And again, there are plenty of tour guide writers wanting you to buy their books on how to do it.

If that sounds like too much trouble, find a tour group. 

Which is what we're going to do for Italy. 

I guess I could use my kids college money...and heck them cows can eat grass!!

still...we got the problem of the airplane!!