Author Topic: An American Girl in Paris  (Read 38446 times)

injest

Re: An American Girl in Paris
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2007, 09:19:32 pm »
I always feared it would be.  ::)

LOL!

{{{Katherine}}}

We still love you even if you DO end civilization!!

Here!! I brought you some....

(I still love to color...it is VERY relaxing..)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2007, 09:35:34 pm »
I always feared it would be.  ::)

:laugh::laugh:

Delalluvia, I'm looking forward to more!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2007, 11:44:27 pm »
Choosing a good companion for travel is something else that is very important for a memorable trip.

Otherwise you remember the trip for all the wrong reasons.   :P

It's nice to have someone along who is understanding, enthusiastic, able to quickly adapt and not get rattled easily, someone whose temperment and personality matches or compliments your own.

Unfortunately, I had my sister along for the trip.

Our cry, the whole trip?

"Ah, Paris, the city of love...[snide look] and I'm here with you."

My sister and I are diametrically opposing personalities.  I'm not quite sure where it comes from.

She had not wanted to leave for Paris the week I did, not wanting to miss her daughter's birthday as she did for our London trip.  I was not for this, as I reminded her that France was not Texas.  We could not expect nice or warm weather until November.

Needless to say, this argument I lost.  We stayed an extra week in town before we left for France.

*sigh*

Of course, the week I wanted to be in Paris?  Beautiful, clear, warm weather.

The week we actually spent in Paris?  The 2nd day we were there, it turned cold and started to rain and rained every single day we were there, except for the day before we left.  >:( >:(

This put the kibosh on any trips to the wine country or possibly Normandy.  Standing out in the cold and rain and mud was not my idea of a good time in the country so we never left the city.

My sister and I were just at odds the entire time. 

The 2nd day in Paris, I came down with sinus infection and was sick most the trip.  Luckily it wasn't a cold cold or the flu otherwise a fever would have kept me in bed and really ruined my trip.  Instead, I was just stuffy, head full of gunk, lots of draining and no real sleep.  Made for fun at the local Pharmacie, trying to figure out how to ask for sinus medication.

For those of you who don't know, my sister is morbidly obese.  As a result, she is hot most of the time, out of shape and her weight puts a lot of pressure on her joints.

So, 2nd night in Paris, I'm sick, the weather has turned, I'm chilled, but I finally figure out how to turn up the heat in our room 5 degrees.  I settle into bed and just as I'm warming up, my sister walks in from the bathroom and says, "Whoo!  It's hot in here." and promptly goes and turns the heat off.

It was hopeless.  If I wanted the heat up, she wanted it off, if I wanted the windows closed, she wanted them open, if I wanted to eat, she wasn't hungry, if I wanted to rush to the next sight, she was tired and wanted to go back to the hotel.

Of course, I had no choice but to go along with her because she did absolutely nothing to prepare for the trip.  She bought no maps, no books, nothing, nada, zilch.  Which means she left it to me to buy all this.  Which is fine, until we were at odds on a street corner, she wanting to go back to the hotel for her 'afternoon nap' and me wanting to go to the next site across town, I had the map and needed it to get where I was going.  She had nothing and couldn't even get back to the hotel without a map.   ::)

I have dreams of someday taking a trip with someone who appreciates that when I recommend they exercise and lose weight for a trip because said destination is a walking town, will heed my words and actually do something so they can keep up, rather than drag the other person down with them to their level of inability.

The hotel was very nice for the price.  It was very convenient to a Metro station, but not a metro station we used with any regularity.  The station we used most often was a tidy little walk away.  The RER/Metro stations of St. Michel/Notre Dame:

However, the hotel was still nice.

Rick Steves in his travel book described the proprietor of our hotel as'unsmiling'.  I was worried he was going to be stereotypical rude Frenchman.  Perhaps he was to Rick Steves.  To me, he smiled a lot, talked a lot and was a flirt.  He spoke English well, and very much enjoyed my attempts at French.

View from our hotel, right center and left:

Right next to it was a cafe on one side and a diner on the other called I kid you not "An American Diner in Paris" that served diner food.

The price of food in Paris was outrageous.  One could not eat a meal in a cafe for less than $23 American.  A Coke Lite in such a cafe was $6.50 American.  By the end of the trip I was back to eating candybars and sodas from the local bodegas (I'm not sure what they call them in French) or supermarches or hot dogs from the local delis (they're orange colored for some reason).  Just as well, almost every French food I put in my mouth made me ill.  A friend of my sister's who is a French cop took us out one night to a 'real' French restaurant.  I ate snails, duck, tarte tatin and 1/2 bottle of wine.  Never got sick at all.  Go figure. 

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2007, 11:54:09 pm »
The pics are really cool.  lucky you, you got to travel there!  Thats awesome del

injest

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2007, 12:07:14 am »
Del, I knew you could express yourself very well...but didn't realize how good a writer you are...very funny and clear...I enjoy reading!!

you are a saint for not loosing your temper... :laugh: ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2007, 07:05:58 am »
:)  I'm thinking of my sister now, and differences we've had while traveling.

I remember you having concern about food allergies before you left. 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2007, 07:34:40 am »
The 2 sayings

blood is thiker than water and you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family are both tottally true but totally at odds at the same time.

I love my sister very much but I swear most of the time I could wring her neck.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2007, 10:03:03 pm »
Stereotypes of the French - my thoughts:

The French do not have a sense of humor about themselves and America.

While eating at "An American Diner in Paris", my sister was speaking with her policeman friend who is a complete Anglophile or Americanphile.  He loves everything about the U.S.   In a kidding tone, she asked if they had French fries in France.

Her:  Oh, but I guess you don't call them "French".
Him:  No, we call them "Freedom" fries!  :laugh:

The French are very fashionable

Not that I saw.  They dress no better or worse than we do here in the States.  Though the following topic does make a difference in the dress of some folks here in the U.S. versus France (Ok, I saw no one in tie-dye, but that's an American thing)  :-\ 

The French are thin

Hmmm, yes they are.  I was there a solid 7 days and saw no one who was heavy.  Every woman I saw of any age was thinner than me, and I'm not a porker by any means.  No man of any age I saw had a gut or was fat.  My sister stood out like a dinosaur.  We crowded onto the Metro at times - there are little fold-down seats if you can't get a regular seat - and at one point a lady wanted to sit next to me.  I asked my sister to scoot over, to make room, but she couldn't.  She was already overflowing her seat and crowding mine.  I ended up practically sitting on my sister's leg so this woman had the room to sit down.  :-\

I know portly French people must exist somewhere, but I never saw any. 

The French are rude

Not that I experienced.  Of course, except for getting lost at one point, we hung out mostly in the touristy areas, most everyone we spoke with, saw or met was very civil and polite and at times, downright nice.  I had people in the Metro turn to ask me something - I must have blended in well {proud grin} - I had a couple of French teenagers tap me on the shoulder and let me know in French that I was unknowingly dragging the tail of my coat on the street.  People smiled at me, were helpful and looked like they enjoyed my attempts at speaking their language.  Maybe now that I think of it, it was my colorful collection of berets that I wore with every outfit that amused them.  ;)

An artsy shot of me in beret walking the Place Des Vosges - the rain is romantic:

injest

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2007, 11:36:20 pm »
cool picture, Del!

I am so glad you had a good time. (and it does seem like you did!)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2007, 02:21:29 pm »
The French are thin

Hmmm, yes they are.  I was there a solid 7 days and saw no one who was heavy.  Every woman I saw of any age was thinner than me, and I'm not a porker by any means.  No man of any age I saw had a gut or was fat.

Same in Italy (where I just was). No overweight people, with the possible exception of a few old nonna (grandma) types. My theory is, it's the exercise. Driving is really tricky, so people walk and use bikes a lot. And everywhere there are stairs. Our apartments in Rome were up three and five flights, no elevator. In Positano, a village built on a cliff, it was 100 steps either up or down just to our place -- the beach was down another 400 or so. I saw elderly people charging up and down flights that left me and my traveling companions, two of whom are triathletes, gasping for breath.

My mother used to take the elevator from the second floor to the first floor of her apartment building, despite the wide grand carpeted staircase. She's not particularly overweight, but she became increasingly immobile and is now in a wheel chair. When my kids want to take the elevator, I tell them that if you don't take the stairs, eventually you can't take the stairs.