Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain and 'The Cowboy Code of Conduct'  (Read 3155 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Brokeback Mountain and 'The Cowboy Code of Conduct'
« on: June 20, 2007, 02:44:32 am »
Brokeback Mountain and 'The Cowboy Code of Conduct'   
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   (Fri May 11 2007 23:16:02)   

UPDATED Sat May 12 2007 13:17:14
(SPOILERS)

I was looking around on-line and found this:

Cowboy Code of Conduct
adapted from Riding Tall in the Saddle
by Angel Vigil

http://www.wyomingcompanion.com/ccsc/cowboy_code.html

It got me to thinking -- how many of the rules of the Cowboy Code of Conduct are affirmed or violated in BbM? How many can be 'tweaked' to fit?

Now, Ennis and Jack are REALLY ranch hands, and not cowboys at all. Cowboys herd cattle, not sheep. Sheep-herders were despised by cattle ranchers because sheep ate grass so closely to the ground that there was nothing left for the cows to eat. When they meet in the summer of '63, they are more boys than men, and given their upbringing, they would have no doubt internalized parts of the Cowboy Code. The code is all about honor and not unlike the Samurai Code of Honor (to make another east/west comparison).

"No whiskey with the wagon. No drinking was allowed on the trail drive."

Whiskey plays an important part in Jack and Ennis's socialization by the campfire.

"Wake a man by speech, not touch. A man startled in his sleep might come up with his gun in his hand."

Jack takes Ennis by the hand in the night. Startled, Ennis awakes to find "a gun" in his hand. (Sheep be damned...)

"When riding up to a ranch or homestead, a cowboy shouts out "Hello the house" to make his presence known. He will stay on his horse until invited to dismount."

Joe Aguirre violates the first part of this by coming up to the camp and failing to make his presence known as he is watching Jack and Ennis. He does however stay on his horse when he arrives at the camp.

"When two men meet on the trail, speak, and pass on, neither looks back. To look back means one rider does not trust the other rider."

In a sense, Jack violates this code when he looks back at Ennis in the rearview mirror of the truck after their summer employment ends.

"Never wave to another rider on the trail. It might spook the horse."

Ennis carries on like a spooked horse when the white truck passes by in the post-divorce scene.

"When a cowboy sees a stranger on the trail, he rides straight toward him and greets him. Veering off the trail looks suspicious.

"When approaching another rider from behind, give a shout."

Ennis approaches Jack from behind and whispers in his ear, "you're sleepin on your feet like a horse. Time for bed cowboy."

"A cowboy does not bother another man's horse."

"A cowboy has courage."

Ennis takes on the bikers, but is this courage or a mangled interpretation of what courage means?

By the time Ennis screws up his courage to actually initiate a meeting with Jack, it is too late.

Jack has the courage to confront his father-in-law, and to confront Ennis for wasting both of their lives. He seems to also have been screwing up his courage to end his half-life of secrecy, and start a life on his own terms.

"A cowboy keeps his word."

Is Ennis's marriage to Alma a sort of self-deluded and misguided sense of loyalty to her?

"A cowboy never talks down to anyone. If one man dismounts, the other does too."

In a metaphorical sense, Jack and Ennis meet on common ground. Despite their difference in social stratas in the years that come, they continue to meet on common ground, where Jack's improved social standing is of no importance.

Ennis does talk down to Jack once, when they are at different levels (Ennis stands and Jack reclines). Ennis tells Jack while (while carrying his rifle) "This is a one shot thing we got goin on here."

A cowboy is respectful to women.

Ennis punishes the bikers for disrepecting his wife and children by using foul language in front of them, but he treats Alma poorly himself on many occasions.

"A cowboy takes his place on the trail drive and ends the day in the same place."

Ennis begins and ends the story alone.

"A cowboy offers friendship to strangers."

Jack was very friendly with strangers! Whether it was a rent-boy in Mexico, a rodeo clown, a girl rodeo rider, or a couple with a flat on their way to a dance, Jack socializes easily with many people he meets.

"A cowboy does not complain."

Jack routinely violates this rule with Ennis ("Aguirre's got no right") and mentions to Lureen that their son's school won't listen to him because he complains too much.

"A cowboy is loyal."

Despite whatever lies and secrecy Jack and Ennis practiced, their loyalty to each is other is something we all wish we had in a partner.

"A cowboy will risk his life to save his partner."

By his inaction, Ennis fails to save his partner Jack, and must forever live with his regret.

"A cowboy never asks another cowboy about his past."

Ennis violates this code in asking Jack about Mexico.

"A cowboy does not cut in front of another rider on the trail."

Jack doesn't interfere with Ennis's plans to marry Alma.

"A cowboy unbuckles his gun belt and removes his spurs before entering another's house."

Tent scene 2, Ennis enters and lowers guard.

"A cowboy renders assistance whenever he is asked."

Jack offers assistance to Ennis, but Ennis refuses.

"A cowboy settles his horse before he sits down to dinner."

"A cowboy never talks rudely in front of a woman and always tips his hat."

Ennis violates this rule during the Thanksgiving day blow-up. He is very rude to Alma and when he leaves, he fails to tip his hat.

I'd be interested hearing what anyone thinks about this!

TOoP

Re: Brokeback Mountain and 'the Cowboy Code of Conduct'   
  by garycottle   (Sat May 12 2007 06:01:42)   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
TOoP, very interesting. Thanks for the post.

This one made me laugh: Jack was friendly with strangers! Sure was. He had sex, or offered to have sex with about half the strangers he met. Now that's friendly!   

Gary
  by highpriestess32   (Sat May 12 2007 06:11:11)   
Disgracefully, I haven't viewed the movie since I was last posting on here and then some.

To that end, I must ask: Were they actually referred to as cowboys during the movie or is it just fans and the media/audience that dubbed them as such?

Interesting find TOoP.

There's 3 ways a man can wear his hair; front-parted, side-parted or departed
  by balrog_ressurected_again   (Sat May 12 2007 06:47:30)   
Were they actually referred to as cowboys during the movie or is it just fans and the media/audience that dubbed them as such?

didn't Ennis say during rope scene:
"this ain't no rodeo, cowboy"

didn't Cassie say in bar with Jr:
'you're staying on your feet cowboy"

Alma asked in kitchen with 1st card:
'was he someone you cowboy'd with or what?'

Those are the ones I can think of off the top. There are likely more.

Begone trolls...

by Clyde-B   (Sat May 12 2007 08:03:43)   
"When two men meet on the trail, speak, and pass on, neither looks back. To look back means one rider does not trust the other rider."

or thinks the other rider's hot!
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   (Sat May 12 2007 08:11:08)   

Clyde-B wrote: or thinks the other rider's hot!"

Hence the lack of trust!
  by Clyde-B   (Sat May 12 2007 08:16:02)   
Naw TOoP,

We're just trying to look over the situation from every... er, uh, angle.
  by Shasta254   (Sat May 12 2007 08:30:37)   
Is it a matter of *trust* or *lust*??

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   (Sat May 12 2007 17:14:23)   

Lust with trust is a must!

Lust with no trust is a just a bust.
  by littlewing1957   (Sat May 12 2007 17:40:50)   
or thinks the other rider's hot!

I think so, Clyde-B!
  by Dancing_Bear   (Sat May 12 2007 08:42:46)   
TOoP you've done it again! Love your thread, lots to think about...

As to being cowboys, they both seemed familiar with working with cattle. Jack wanted a cow and calf operation, probably his Pa had at least a few head of cattle and Ennis may have grown up with them too, both were ranch hands for sure. In the middle of the picture you see him tossing hay to the cows from the truck. I'd say they're correctly tabbed 'cowboys'.

:^)
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   (Sat May 12 2007 12:19:28)   

UPDATED Sat May 12 2007 13:00:05
The Cowboy Code does not mention sex at all. Therefore, one could probably assume sex (whatever kind is being practiced) is simply a matter about which it is best kept silent.
Re: Brokeback Mountain and 'The Cowboy Code of Conduct'   
  by Susiebell   (Sat May 12 2007 17:17:36)   
What a lovely set of rules to abide by, reminds me of when I was in the Brownies ... but without the horses ... or the cows!

Susie
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40