Author Topic: Ennis, Singing, and Music -- by chowhound  (Read 3125 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Ennis, Singing, and Music -- by chowhound
« on: June 20, 2007, 02:47:04 am »
Ennis, singing and music   
  by chowhound   (Mon Apr 30 2007 14:27:04)

Hi littlewing...I've been mulling over your suggestion Ennis might have a good voice and in general be quite musical. I think this is an interesting idea. It's true we don't hear much singing on Brokeback except for Water Walkin' Jesus but there Ennis doen't sing but merely beats time as Jack sings. (In the short story they sing a few more songs together.) Music, however, is present on Brokeback in the form of Jack's harmonica which unfortuntely becomes flattened when Jack is thrown by the mare. Ennis notes the difference this makes when he says "that harmonica don't sound quite right" and later, after they've separated the two flocks, Ennis playfully warns Jack that he'll "run the sheep off again if you don't quiet down". The implication is not that Ennis doesn't like harmonica music but that he can't stand it when the music is out of tune, something Jack seems oblivious to.

As for Ennis singing abilities, this depends on one's interpretation of what he says to Alma Jnr. about the church picnic. He says that he's prepared to go "long as I don't have to sing". This suggests to me that, in the past, he has been known for his singing voice and therefore, because of this, might be asked to perform at the picnic but he no longer wants to sing. Why, I'm not sure. Maybe, metaphorically, the music of his own life is now so discordant that he no longer is able to sing, tunefully at least. Maybe, metaphorically again, the only person he really wants to sing for is Jack. Too fanciful? What do people think?

I note that, apart from two or three regulars, the Methodist/Pentecostalist thread has aroused very little interest.
Re: Ennis, singing and music   
  by garycottle   (Mon Apr 30 2007 14:59:54)   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
Hi chowhound,

I note that, apart from two or three regulars, the Methodist/Pentecostalist thread has aroused very little interest.

I can think of several reasons for this. One, it could have just gotten pushed off the radar. Two, most people, even people who go to church, find the subject of religion murky and impenetrable, and therefore feel too uninformed to comment on your question. And lastly, I've noticed that people are far more likely to respond to posts they strongly disagree with, and your Methodist/Pentecostalist post was very thoughtful and polite. Someone would have to be awfully touchy for your Methodist/Pentecostalist post to have raised their ire. (BTW, your posts always are thoughtful and polite, and I really appreicate that.   )

As for your question of BBM music, I had never really thought about it before. But now that you bring it up, I think that it's interesting that Ennis doesn't want to sing at the church picnic, even though in the written story we're told he has a good voice. I'm not a musical person myself, but doesn't beautiful singing require some amount of openness? When singing aren't you supposed to expose your inner emotional state, make yourself vulnerable? It seems to me that regardless of Ennis's voice, he wouldn't feel comfortable singing. Ennis is so profoundly introverted, and he's in such a muddle as to his own feelings, so the act of singing might be a challenge to him. Singing might bring too much of what he's trying to bury close to the surface.

Gary

by latjoreme   (Mon Apr 30 2007 15:13:24)   
He says that he's prepared to go "long as I don't have to sing"... Maybe, metaphorically, the music of his own life is now so discordant that he no longer is able to sing, tunefully at least. Maybe, metaphorically again, the only person he really wants to sing for is Jack. Too fanciful? What do people think?

Interesting ideas, chowhound! I think of the line as meaning, metaphorically, that he doesn't want to "sing" in the gangsterish sense -- as in, to confess. At this point, Ennis will still socialize with churchgoers, but he won't reveal any truths to them. Further down the line, he'll refuse outright to even be around that fire and brimstone crowd.
  by Clyde-B   (Mon Apr 30 2007 15:17:58)   
Then again, maybe he can't carry a tune in a bushel basket.
  by garycottle   (Mon Apr 30 2007 15:43:51)   
Then again, maybe he can't carry a tune in a bushel basket.

Clyde, I'm afraid that's me. I'm the one that can't carry a tune.

In my post I said that Ennis my be reluctant to sing because generally speaking singing might reveal more of his inner life than he was comfortable with. But I think latjoreme's point that maybe Ennis didn't want to reveal himself specifically to the church crowd is probably true as well. Ennis may have expressed ignorance of religious doctrine when he was with Jack up on Brokeback, but he would mostly likely strongly suspect that the church crowd would judge him harshly if they only knew about his "sins".

Gary
  by Susiebell   (Mon Apr 30 2007 17:21:24)   
Maybe, metaphorically again, the only person he really wants to sing for is Jack. Too fanciful?

You're never too fanciful Chowhound, you're posts are always very thoughful. I think you've made a great point here, the only time we hear him singing (well humming actually) is to his beloved sleepy Jack. 

BTW I thought your Methodist thread was great, I just didn't know quite how to respond (having been raised a Heathen!)

Susie
  by LauraGigs   (Mon Apr 30 2007 22:25:32)   
" . . . the only time we hear him singing (well humming actually) is to his beloved sleepy Jack."

Yes, I was waiting for someone to mention this! And it must have sounded great to Jack's ear -- I imagine Ennis would have a lovely bass-baritone.

I imagine activities as extroverted and lighthearted as singing were pretty much out of the question for Ennis after such traumas as Earl and the loss of his parents.   

That's part of what makes the "Dozy Embrace" such a miraculous moment. Jack had truly nudged as many inhibitions from Ennis' heart as anyone possibly could have.
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   (Sun May 13 2007 08:58:59)   

UPDATED Sun May 13 2007 09:04:32
In Annie Proulx's short story, we also find this passage:

Ennis had a good raspy voice; a few nights they mangled their way through some songs. Ennis knew the salty words to "Strawberry Roan." Jack tried a Carl Perkins song, bawling "what I say-ay-ay," but he favored a sad hymn, "Water-Walking Jesus," learned from his mother who believed in the Pentecost, that he sang at dirge slowness, setting off distant coyote yips. --Annie Proulx

Annie Proulx's version of Ennis does not seem to be much of a singer. The inclusion of him singing with Jack in the story seems to be an indication of their growing comfort together. If Ennis is singing in a raspy voice and mangling songs with Jack, clearly he is beginning to shed some of his social inhibitions in the presence of Jack's company. (This passage comes immediately before tent scene one.)

These are the lyrics to the Marty Robbins' version of the "Strawberry Roan":
http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/robbins-marty/the-strawberry-roan-11886.html
Note that there seems to be nothing particularly "salty" about them. There is another "Strawberry Roan" with much "saltier" lyrics. I wonder if this is the version of the song Ennis is singing to Jack?:
http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/song-midis/Castration_of_the_Strawberry_Roan.htm

The Carl Perkins song is "What'd I say" and the lyrics can be found here:
http://www.metrolyrics.com/lyrics/503432635/Jerry_Lee_Lewis/What'd_I_Say_(live_Version)

As someone previously indicated, lyrics for "Water-walking Jesus" were written for specifically for the movie.

Also, as a side note, one of the topics of discussion as the boys mention between the boys was a submarine disaster involving the submarine Thresher. This is a real incident:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/k19/disasters_detail2.html

by littlewing1957   (Sun May 13 2007 12:19:37)   
Ennis had a good raspy voice; a few nights they mangled their way through some songs

Wow, how did I miss this thread? Thanks, TOoP for commenting, and bringing it back to the first page.

Anyway,

Ennis had a good raspy voice.

TOoP, I think this means Ennis was a fine singer? IMHO, Jack was the one who had the terrible voice and caused them to mangle the songs! 

Oh, and thanks for the links to the lyrics, and the submarine disaster. You're amazing, you really are!
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40