Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain reaches the Vatican  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Brokeback Mountain reaches the Vatican
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:14:34 pm »
BBMIswear sent out the following email, a portion of with I am posting here, hopw she don't mind.

Thank all of you who signed the book, I hope it will reach the hands of someone who needs to see it, and can read "English". So wonderful to have a group of friend that will help you pluck a cord on the instrument of life.

"Okay, anyway...we head to the Vatican and I pretty much know that there isn't a good chance of placing the book inside St. Peter's or the Sistine Chapel or anywhere like that as there is a lot of security and alters, etc. are all roped off (you can look but you better not touch - as Bruce Springsteen would say).  But I think I found the most perfect place...right in the middle of freaking Vatican Square...right out front of St. Peter's!  There is a huge monument (can't remember for the life of me now what it said, what it was for) and I decided that was a perfect spot!  A lot of people would see it as they walked into the square and as they walked toward St. Peter's (and no security in sight)!  So we head over there and it was the funniest scene...picture me with my book all excited!  Picture Bruce (those of you who know him) saying "No, go over the fence...put it up high....that way it will stay there a while and everyone will see it".  Now where the hell did that come from???  Bruce is in on the crime!  He is helping me out with the right placement and taking pictures!!!!!  Picture Drew (those of you who know him) walking as far away as possible saying "Don't do it Mom!  You're gonna get in trouble"!  I was LMAO at that!  (Drew eventually gave up, walked away and waited for us to be done with the deed before he would come back over and let it be known that we were his parents)!  Too funny!

So the book got a great place on the monument.  I think it will be there for at least a few days unless the clean up crew there is sooooo very good that they look in strange places for "trash".  I just know there are people that walked by there today and said "WTF is that?" and "Why is that book there?" and maybe some who said "Wow...look at that...that is cool"!"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain reaches the Vatican
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 02:59:36 pm »
Hunh?  ???

Annie Proulx's book with the short story? And who signed it? A little bit background info would be nice  :).

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 03:59:58 pm »

I agree, did you have it at the BBQ?  I never saw it either.  This is very interesting..  More info if its available.

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:30:21 pm »
Yes, she had it at the BBQ. I signed it, I think. I remember her passing it around on the day of the actual BBQ.

It doesn't seem extremely likely that the book will be picked up by a janitor, passed along to his supervisor, make its way up through innumerable Vatican officials all the way to the pope, who will flip through it, be blown away, have a conversion experience, and decide to overhaul all of the Catholic church's positions on homosexuality.

But I think it would be nice!  :D

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 09:38:45 pm »
It is the intention, and yes it is like scraping the surface of a diamond. But it contains many peoples declarations. If one person sees it and remembers, and watches the movie, I will be happy.

Maybe others can be placed, at the US capitol, Canterbury Catherdral, the National Cathedral in the US, keep it in mind.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 09:54:22 pm »
Well come on people, we need copies with green and orange leather covers.

(Okay, maybe that was a little **too** light-hearted.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:59:44 pm by Daniel »
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:07:31 pm »
I signed the book too.  It's nice to hear how all of that went.  Thanks for the report.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 12:19:21 pm »
Truman, thanks for the report!  (Sometimes I think we all Brokies should be in the same place so we're all on the same page.)  I signed it in February in Bay City.  Yes she did have it at the BBQ too.

I wrote:

"Get Over Yourselves"   

:D  :D  :D  :D

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 07:56:13 am »
Here's the pictures: 8)

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 11:00:32 am »
I signed the book in Colorado; thanks for the report and the pictures!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

moremojo

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 04:27:56 pm »
That monument is an Egyptian obelisk, relic of one of the most ancient and beautiful human civilizations. How fitting that this very recent testament to one of the most enduring and important of life's experiences should come to roost there!

Congratulations to all who signed, and became a part of this wonderful gesture.

moremojo

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 03:39:37 pm »
I just saw mention of this very same obelisk on a program on cable TV, wherein it was stated that this ancient Egyptian monument was brought to Rome in 37 AD, by the princeps Gaius (better known as Caligula), and that there is a tradition that this object was the last thing seen by Saint Peter before the moment of his death by execution.

What a rich tapestry we humans weave in history, of which Brokeback Mountain is now an added precious thread.