Author Topic: Where did it come from? Gay trivia!  (Read 16007 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: Where did it come from? Gay trivia!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 03:56:14 am »
Yes Ray, it probably makes you a lesbian.

GAY: It has been claimed that this was derived as an acronym for "Good As You", but this is folk etymology. This adjective was already used in the 19th century in the same meaning, well before the gay and lesbian movement started.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

TJ

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 12:57:41 pm »
When I was around Junior High School age, I went to see a class play at my uncle's high school. Bob was/is two years older than me. The play was Cornelia Otis Skinner's "Our Hearts Were Young and Gay." It was about two high school girls who had gone on a cruise ship to Europe and how, no matter what they did, something reminded them of their mothers back in the USA. The story had no connection with gays/homosexuals at all.

In regard to the word "queer," when I was growing up, my older sister sang solos in the Pentecostal churches we attended. I did sing with her sometimes and even with my younger sister. But, one song which stands out in my mind in regard to the word was titled "I Prayed Through." The opening lines of the song were:

"I remember when some queer folks came to town,
My pastor said, 'To that church, don't go down'."

The "queer folks" in the song were travelling evangelists who preached a salvation message and not a social gospel like the pastor of the song. And, they were also Pentecostal evangelists. And the "I" in the song "prayed through by repenting of his/her sins and accepted Jesus as a personal savior at an altar bench in the church were the revival was being held.

When I was in grade school, there were two interesting sayings. One was "Don't wear green and yellow on Thursdays because people will think you are queer." And the other one was to the girls, "Don't wear red and black on fridays because people will think you are pregnant." Most of the kids at that rural community school knew what pregnant meant; but, only a few of they knew what "queer" meant in the phrase. I am not sure that I knew either.

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
Judy Garland
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 08:15:04 am »
"Friends of Dorothy became an secret catch phrase for gay men in response to the Wizard of Oz and the gay icon Judy Garland, (a bisexual woman), to identify 'fellows'.  The death of Judy in June 1969 led to the Stonewall Riots when mourners revolted against a police raid of a gay bar."

Garland is also an icon for gays because her father was gay. Her parents divorced and her dad led a tortured life due to his orientation.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 11:55:30 am »
I also read that Oscar Wilde put a lot of subculture gay expressions in his plays.

'Being Earnest' was apparently slang for being gay.

TJ

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 03:21:34 pm »
The play, "The Importance of Being Earnest" was about a guy who was living a double life, pretending to be two different people.

It being referred to as a "Gay Play" fits in this forum quite well.

People like us who have left the closet have been accused of living a lie and/or a double life before we admitted our sexual orientation and became openly gay. 

But, since we have been lied to about what it was supposed to mean to be homosexual by the right-wing proof-texting Bible-Clobberers, it was like two lies made one truth (sorta like "double negatives make a statement a postive fact" in the American English Language). 

TJ

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 03:31:54 pm »
I have a rainbow striped baseball cap, a lapel pin cross with a rainbow on it and a set of "rooster"drop-style earrings with the feathers in the colors of the rainbow and I bought all of that at Christian Bookstore. 

It was related to a "De Colores" program to be used in certain Prostestant churches for use at the elementary school level to teach about accepting people from different ethnic backgrounds and people with different skin colors. I had gone in the bookstore just to see what they had to offer.

Lots of people thought the cap was a "gay" hat. One time I went with my friend, Bill, to a buffet-type Pizza place here in Tulsa and I was wearing the rainbow cap.

The drink refills were self-service all-you-can-drink and because I had to walk a ways around to get there from our table, on the way back to the table, I noticed two teenagers, a boy and a girl were following me. When I turned just before I sat down at the table with Bill, the girl said, "I will give you 5 dollars for that cap!"

I told her that it was not for sale and besides, I gave 12 dollars for it. I did tell them where they could find one just like it though.

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 11:51:49 pm »
As to the term "Gay"... before it attached to homosexuals, it referred to "loose" ladies... or "women of easy virtue."  i.e., gay ladies...  And since the most visible homosexuals in the early days... (I'm talking late-Victorian here.) were cross-dressers, I think there may have been a simple extrapolation.

As for "Importance of Being Earnest," it is rife with "gay" references.  The term "Bunburying" was code for "cruising"  One address mentioned in the play was the actual address of his pal  Robbie Ross ("the notorious "boy snatcher")...  it goes on and on...

BUT... at the same time... it is still one of the funniest plays in the English language.  It's success is and has been phenomenal.  And there is nothing else quite like it in all of dramatic.  Singular and sui generis.  It follows no rules of comedy but the ones Wilde invents and tosses aside as he goes. 

I'm besotted with Wilde, studied him intensely for 3 years, read every biography, every word he wrote, etc., etc., I tend to go off in a Pavlovian fashion when his name comes up so if I rattle on too much, just nudge me gently. 

On the other hand... if there's anything you'd like to know about him and his work, I'm your man.

--Kudz

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 07:16:09 am »
if I rattle on too much, just nudge me gently. 

--Kudz

Hi Kudz,

I had great pleasure reading your posts over on IMDb, and very glad to find you here, so welcome (I changed my handle from milena-covic, if that rings any bell)  :)

Back to the topic:

Homosexuality was struck off the list of mental illnesses by the World Health Organization only in 1990.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 11:36:57 am »
Homosexuality was struck off the list of mental illnesses by the World Health Organization only in 1990.[/color]

And in 1973 by the American Psychiatric Association.

And in your dreams by the current administration.
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 12:59:56 pm »
And in 1973 by the American Psychiatric Association.

1992 only, here (France)

As for your (American, I guess?) administration, when's your next election, if you're not ready for a revolution? ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 02:52:11 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."