Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Craft Corner  (Read 96440 times)

Offline knash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Brokeback Mountain Craft Corner
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2008, 04:17:26 pm »
^^^  hi, glad you liked the addition, toycoon! hmm, i'm not sure how my ceramics would adapt, i'd have to make some fresh, or words would get cropped. yes, the lampshade idea is superb, as well as a "moving" landscape with a river scene.. or the skinny dipping shot.. can you imagine that scene with the water glittering?

• other ideas i have in store are "religious" candles, but they're not BBM themed, they're more heath/jake fan oriented

• we talked about using printing cloth or iron-transfer paper to make bbm cloth for quilts and/or quilted pillows

• there's also a great craft project in here somewhere: how to make a "carved horse" out of basswood.

• bbm cross stitch? i could see the traditional "home sweet home" theme turned into a piece that ways, "it could be like this, just like this always."  ^_^

Offline Sid401k

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2008, 02:57:59 am »
• bbm cross stitch? i could see the traditional "home sweet home" theme turned into a piece that ways, "it could be like this, just like this always."  ^_^

I like this idea. I bet I could do something with it. But don't expect a finished piece this week!  ;D

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2008, 03:34:17 pm »
I like this idea. I bet I could do something with it. But don't expect a finished piece this week!  ;D

Hello Sid401k-
Could you possibly print directions or a furnish a pattern to follow for those of us that would like to participate but don't know the first thing about making a cross-stitch?

I'm so excited! I always wanted to make one of those but didn't have any idea how to go about it.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2008, 05:03:45 pm »
I think a needlepoint of Jack washing Ennis's shirt in the river would make a very nice oversized sofa pillow!
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2008, 06:50:15 pm »
BBM envelopes?

I know people would not want to use their BBM calendars but you could use other expired calenders or print out BBM pictures (which kind of kills the recycling part but at least they would be unique) and make envelopes.

This is from the Craftster crafting site. I made some using my old Humane Society calender. These are addictive. I actually taped mine with invisible tape and that works pretty good too.

Tutorial:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=219220.0

There is a link in this thread (under the second picture) to a copy of the template.

Offline Sid401k

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2008, 08:16:05 pm »
I've been working on knash's original suggestion, using the "It could be like this..." scene, but have run into a couple of technical problems, which are not insoluable, but which need some thought. The easy one first: there's a lot of background and (except for the fire) it's very dark. My thought here is to
A) round off the corners, so it's an oval rather than a rectangle, plus
B) use half cross stitch for most of the background [technical explanation below] which will lighten it, plus
C) skip stitches out toward the edges to sort of feather the scene into the fabric.

Technical explanation: Normal cross stitch is two stitches, one over the other, like an X. If you only use one stitch, like a slash /, that's half cross stitch.

I blocked out the motto, and inserted the picture (from Striped Wall, and slightly lightened), and overlaid a grid. Thusly:

...Which brings me to the second problem: scale. This design is about 8x10, with 14 stitches to the inch. And Jack's face only comprises about 26 stitches, which is not enough for any expression, or even enough to make him recognizable. So I tried changing the project's orientation from landscape to portrait (which takes away from the "Home Sweet Home" look), and came up with this:

...which is a little better, but still not enough for much detail on the faces, as you can see by this sample which shows how much detail you get using one color for each block:

That can be sharpened up a bit with the judicious use of backstitching--but not sharpened up a lot.

So. possible solutions to this problem:
1. Make it bigger, say 14x20. (downside: will take much longer to do, both charting and stitching)
2. Use smaller stitches, say 18 or even 22 to the inch. (downside: same as above)
3. Combination of 1 & 2: somewhat bigger and somewhat smaller stitches. (downside: same as 1 & 2 above)
4. Just ignore it--we all recognize the scene, and the message will be the same to viewers, even if they can't recognize jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger. (downside: We'd miss those great expressions.)
5. Use a different picture--a close-up with their heads closer together. But which one? (downside: we want the screencap that goes with the motto.)
6. ?? suggestions ??

Offline knash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2008, 07:40:23 pm »
wow, sid, i don't know a thing about crossstitch but that looks cool! i was just thinking of the words, with a simple can of beans or something (line drawing)..!

i like the one in the middle, and it seems you can still make it an oval and feather the edge of the image. i am not sure how much you have to worry about detail, but you could use a close up image, say, of the dozy embrace, or the SNIT kiss or something?

i always wanted to do a BBM quilt, and made this "dozy" on my computer to see how it might look, by simplifiing the colors into squares... this, as a queen size quilt, would rock my sleep-world!! ^_^ it wouldn't be recognizable on a bed tho, you'd have to stand far away. i walked 10 feet from my monitor just now to get an idea..

of course, i would never even attempt to do such a thing! :D  i've quilted before, but just pattern with color, not making images.

Offline knash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2008, 08:05:59 pm »

a sample of a cross stitch "could be"...

would "homo sweet homo" be too much?

;D

so many great lines from the story you could adapt!

(and from the movie too, of course.)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2008, 07:52:03 pm »
wow - these cross stitch designs are awesome....
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2008, 10:30:37 pm »
Hello my beautiful friends,
This week been extremely difficult me; I'm not usually affected by things like this so it isn't something I have any frame of reference for. I am trying desperately to get back into the swing of things then I got an idea for a Bettermost Craft project for everyone to make.

It is a paper wrapper for a votive candle to devote to our dear departed, Heath Ledger. All you have to do is print out it so the image is 8.5" wide and 7.0" tall, cut it out. Rub a glue stick along the dotted line, wrap it around a tall votive candle and press the edges together.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:23:00 am by Toycoon »
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero